Forum Jump: 

post #901 of 1004 Old 11-23-2010, 08:35 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnno23 View Post

When you have a scene mode in use one can access the parameters and change them. after obtaining the desired levels and sound just save?

Interesting. The manual didn't imply that this worked, so I didn't try. I will give it a try tonight and see. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 1004 Old 11-23-2010, 05:02 PM

Nope, that doesn't work. Bummer. You can only save the input/DSP modes.
post #903 of 1004 Old 11-23-2010, 08:09 PM

Strange, my setup I have the settings and parameters for my room setup and saved as default.
in the 4 user presets I have selected input and dsp modes but also altered the levels of the satelites and bass units to suit my taste and saved.
post #904 of 1004 Old 11-24-2010, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnno23 View Post

Strange, my setup I have the settings and parameters for my room setup and saved as default.
in the 4 user presets I have selected input and dsp modes but also altered the levels of the satelites and bass units to suit my taste and saved.

Yea, I don't know. I didn't try to change the levels, but I tried to change the speaker size, crossover, and bassout settings. Swapping between 1&2, the settings remained at the last set value. I want to use the subwoofer with music, but I want the xover at 40hz, so I need to change xover level and speaker size to small.

Maybe I need to finally break down and buy a processor that is more up to speed with the reset of my equipment. :-(
post #905 of 1004 Old 11-24-2010, 06:45 AM

I don't know what base units you are driving but I have kef powered sub woofer units front and back and I have found that the nicest tonal range for my home is when I set the crossover at 90hz.
post #906 of 1004 Old 11-24-2010, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockyz View Post

Yea, I don't know. I didn't try to change the levels, but I tried to change the speaker size, crossover, and bassout settings. Swapping between 1&2, the settings remained at the last set value. I want to use the subwoofer with music, but I want the xover at 40hz, so I need to change xover level and speaker size to small.

Maybe I need to finally break down and buy a processor that is more up to speed with the reset of my equipment. :-(

Setting the crossover at 40 Hz implies that you've got speakers (not the subwoofer) that go below 40 Hz. Really??
post #907 of 1004 Old 11-24-2010, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsurd2 View Post

Setting the crossover at 40 Hz implies that you've got speakers (not the subwoofer) that go below 40 Hz. Really??

My front mains will play 22hz @ 100db in my room with no fuss. I only want to cross over to the subwoofer to help tighten up the midbass by not making it run those frequencies - my subwoofer is plenty tight and accurate to keep up.
post #908 of 1004 Old 11-24-2010, 02:41 PM

listening to music under the direct setting is gonna sound nice but film and effects is often an issue.
I live in an appartment so needed to be considerate to others. I am using the Kef IQ 90s for the front which sound fine but in movies they are wasted. (i cannot open them up) I found that in my scene mode for movies I lowered overall volume but turned up the levels of my subwoofers. This helped a tremendous amount. Using 2 subs also helps as once again I can at a lower volume but have a nicer overall spread. Still get carried away with some movies. Inception got me into trouble as so many passages are rather quiet and then the sound suddenly rips in. An issue solved only by living on an island I supppose
post #909 of 1004 Old 11-25-2010, 09:34 AM

Can anyone else confirm the ability to save speaker size/level/bass settings with different scenes? Maybe I am doing something stupid and not saving correctly? It sure would be nice to use a 40hz crossover for stereo.
post #910 of 1004 Old 11-27-2010, 10:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
hi guys is the 1065 the replacement of the 863 ?

but i guess the 1065 was worse than the 863 right?

i'm getting a 2 yr old 863 for $ 700. i guess the price for new was $1000. So is this a good deal or should i look at the new rx a1000 at $ 1100...?

Thanks

Thanks,

Rana

a few funny stories from my life ------->http://www.kirtirana.blogspot.com
post #911 of 1004 Old 11-27-2010, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by rana_kirti View Post

i'm getting a 2 yr old 863 for $ 700.

Definitely not a good deal. You can find them much cheaper than that. Heck, I'd even sell mine for $500.
post #912 of 1004 Old 11-29-2010, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poggio View Post

I recently purchased a Yamaha RX-V863 and I'm very happy with it so far. Being the curious, technical type, I also bought the service manual for it from Yamaha. It came on a CD and is quite detailed. While it is for the V863, nearly all of it will be the same for the V636. It does answer some questions that people have.

The speaker impedance selector (6 ohms / 8 ohms), simply changes the power amp voltage feed from the power transformer to a different set of taps. This lowers the highest voltage that the amps can provide to the speakers and so lowers the maximum available wattage. It affects all of the power amps, not just the front channels. So why does the manual say 4 ohm speakers for the front channels only? My guess is heat, either the transformer itself or the power transistor heatsink or both. Limiting the lower impedance speakers to only one pair reduces the maximum heat that will be generated. But by my reading of the schematic, it doesn't matter which two speakers are 4 ohm. The manual also indicates that if the temperature gets too high, the receiver will change to the lower impedance setting automatically.

The receiver has some self-diagnostic capabilities, but I haven't played with these.

If people have questions that can be answered by checking the schematic, I'll attempt to answer them. Please don't ask me to post the manual as I want to encourage Yamaha to make it available to anyone and so want to respect their copyright. If you have many questions, I recommend you get a copy of the manual yourself.

Just curious to know if anyone else has tried using a single pair of 4-ohm speakers on any channel other than the R/L mains?

I'm currently using my RX-V863 to drive just the Klipsch RS-25 8-ohm speakers in my all-Klipsch setup, with the R/L/C speakers running off an Emotiva XPA-3. I'm upgrading to a set of PSB Synchrony 4-ohm speakers, though, and if it isn't going to hurt anything, I'd like to run a pair of Synchrony S surrounds off the Yamaha. Any reason to think this would be a bad idea?

Quote:
SoundofMind:
My God man, he has a 1803!
post #913 of 1004 Old 12-01-2010, 09:04 AM

Hmmm... Here is the e-mail response I received from Yamaha customer Service:

Quote:

QUESTION: The manual says that the RX-V863 can safely drive 4-ohm speakers through the FRONT channels, but I wondered if there is any reason why the receiver could not safely drive two 4-ohm speakers through the L/R Surround outputs, if no other speakers are connected? Your assistance is greatly appreciated.

ANSWER: The RX-V863 will only support 4 ohm speakers on the front left & right speaker terminals with the receiver set to 6 ohms. The other speaker terminals only handle 6 ohms.

Best Regards,
The Yamaha Customer Support Team

No explanation of why the receiver can't handle a single pair of 4-ohm speakers through the L/R Surround outputs, just that it can't.

Quote:
SoundofMind:
My God man, he has a 1803!
post #914 of 1004 Old 12-01-2010, 11:41 AM

The receiver may be built with higher current capability in the amp section of the front L&R (since those are typically the highest quality speakers in the combination) and that is why they're suggesting this. My opinion is that you should just try it and see - if it starts to clip or the receiver starts to overheat, stop doing it.
post #915 of 1004 Old 12-12-2010, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nucl3arboNg View Post
hi....I made a post for this problem but maybe someone could help me here....

I'm having a sound issue when watching my digital cable. I regularally use a moto dcx4300 pvr but it is having some issues, so right now i'm using a 3200 (hd non-pvr) box until they solve that problem. The sound was find when using the pvr but since this box it seems like the voices are glitching. I've checked all the wiring and other things, but I know it's related to the cable box because sound is fine for dvd/gaming on the ps3. What I can do to make the glitching go away is go into the 3200's advanced settings and change the hdmi audio to L-PCM. With this setting the audio sounds much better then it ever did but it's showing i'm only running my mains on the avr display. When it's on pass-through or auto setting it shows i'm using the full 5.1 system. Here is my list of equipment and everything is run hdmi....

Panny 50pz77u
Yamaha rxv 863
Energy cf50 mains
energy cc10 center
energy cr10 surrounds
paradigm dsp 3400 sub
sony ps3 gaming/dvd playback
logitech harmony one w/ps3 adapter
I had the same problem as you are having, except I am using an ota antenna. I have the sound from the tv coming through an optical cable to the 863. The sound would "glitch" whenever motionless images were displayed on the tv (weather maps/slides etc.). I finally got rid of the glitching by turning off the sound on the tv in the menu on the tv. I have the same Panny th-50pc77u. I hope this helps you, because it drove me crazy.
post #916 of 1004 Old 12-28-2010, 05:55 AM

SUB PROBLEM : My sub works fine using my hdmi watching movies but when I watch satalite with the digital optical connection, the sub does not work. Any ideas?
post #917 of 1004 Old 12-31-2010, 01:57 PM

Okay, trying to figure out how best to play music from my iPod to one of these receivers. Looking at Yamaha docks I see YDS-10 and YBA-10 listed as compatible. The YBA being BlueTooth. But what about something like the YBA-10WH Bluetooth receiver coupled with the YDS-11SL transmitter\\dock? Will that work? These things always say "with select receivers" and so seldom seem to list very many receivers Is the list simply not complete or did they change the specs model to model to model?

I have another Yamaha receiver that's even older and the Yamaha dock for it was discontinued. If they have kept the docks pretty much the same and just changed the looks etc. I'm hoping to get them both working with BT docks but this one first

Thanks in advance - much searching hasn't led me to answers

Edit: Bah YBA-10 and YBA-10WH appear to be the same damned product grr. The YDS-11 doesn't appear to be a transmitter either although I see it being offered as a package with the BT receiver. YDS-10 and YDS-11 cross compatible? Oh cute looks like YDS-12 is compatible with iPhone but not in the mode I'd need for this receiver?! Anyone know what's not compatible? Is it just a silly error message or no support at all? I'm not sure who to hate on more Yamaha or Apple at this point for making this so complex!
post #918 of 1004 Old 01-01-2011, 09:04 AM

I have the Yamaha YDS-11 and it works with the RX-V863. You'll use the receiver remote to control the docked iPod once you enter the remote code listed in the back of the RX-V863 manual. The YDS-12 came out later for newer receivers, but I suspect it would also work. The YDS-11 or-12 connects to the Yamaha dock connector in the back of the receiver--no Bluetooth involved.

Since you are mentioning Bluetooth, I'm wondering if you have an iPod touch or iPhone. If so you should consider getting a new Apple TV (if you have an HDTV connected to the receiver) or an Airport Express (for audio only). You'll need to set up a home network if you don't already have one. Then you can use the new AirPlay feature to play media from your iPod touch/iPhone. You can also play your media from iTunes if your computer is on your home network.
post #919 of 1004 Old 01-01-2011, 09:43 AM

Reading up on the YDS-12 it is indeed compatible with the flip of a switch. However that's "B mode" which it claims is NOT compatible with iPhones. I had wanted to use my iPhone 4 with this. Now "incompatible" can mean many things - from not charging to no audio to no video so who knows! There's a slim possibility I may upgrade my receiver but really I don't "need" to.

I have an XBMC box hooked to a home network. I can easily play music via that but sometimes a docked iPhone is just that much easier to use. I have enough music in my collection that using the more limited amount of my phone is easier. Setting up playlists or some other silliness may be the ultimate answer but geez this shouldn't be so hard. I wonder if the BT connection is worth pursuing?
post #920 of 1004 Old 01-01-2011, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by geetarslinger View Post

SUB PROBLEM : My sub works fine using my hdmi watching movies but when I watch satalite with the digital optical connection, the sub does not work. Any ideas?

Do you have your front speakers set up as LARGE instead of SMALL? If the satellite TV is only giving you 2.0 sound instead of 5.1, then SMALL vs LARGE would explain it.
post #921 of 1004 Old 01-17-2011, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
Just acquired a 6180 to power my newly acquired RC-70's. I love the sound of my 565 in straight enhancer mode so I decided to go the same brand. $275 plus ship/tax CAD. Will be using BI-AMP. I still select 8 Ohm as impedance, correct? (RC-70s are 8).

HT: Yamaha RX-V565 | 3 X Energy Take FPS, 2 X VS Surround, 2 X Take LCR | DIY Subs: SDX12 APR15 & TRIO12 Dual APR 12's | 47" LCD

Music: Yamaha RX-V863 | 2 X Energy RC-70 | MA RXw12 Sub

Bathroom: 2 X Energy Take LCR

Car: Sony Xplod HU, Xplod 6X9s, Kenwood 4"s, Alpine 12" Type-S, Rockford Amp,...

post #922 of 1004 Old 01-25-2011, 03:53 PM

Hi guys,

I own a RX-V863 (purchased 1 year and half ago) and recently bought a Dune 3.0 Prime Media Player. The problem is I cannot get DTS HD MA or TRUE HD on the receiver to light up and there is no sound coming out from the speakers. When I change the setting on the player to PCM I get PCM on the receiver and sound from the speakers (also the Dune indicates that it is sending DTS HD MA). I Have tried the player on other receivers with bitstream and it works perfectly well, so I guess it is not a player issue. I have tried different HDMI cables, and input hdmi ports on the receiver but no luck. Can anyone help, beacause I am really frustrated and seriously thinking of purchasing a new receiver.

Thank a lot.
post #923 of 1004 Old 01-25-2011, 05:19 PM
AVS Special Member

can you get HD Audio via another device (BD player, PS3 slim, etc) ??

HT: Yamaha RX-V565 | 3 X Energy Take FPS, 2 X VS Surround, 2 X Take LCR | DIY Subs: SDX12 APR15 & TRIO12 Dual APR 12's | 47" LCD

Car: Sony Xplod HU, Xplod 6X9s, Kenwood 4"s, Alpine 12" Type-S, Rockford Amp,...

post #924 of 1004 Old 01-26-2011, 02:03 PM

Thanks for the reply. Yes I have tried a pioneer bd player set to bitstream and had the same problem. Do you think I should try to upgrade the fw on the receiver?
post #925 of 1004 Old 01-26-2011, 06:54 PM
AVS Special Member

That never hurts. I did that on my 565 and it fixed my "no LFE" problem

post #926 of 1004 Old 01-31-2011, 02:57 PM

Hi thanks for the reply.

Went through the update process but still no luck. I really don't know what else I can try in order for the gods of HD audio to let me see the magic letters light uo on the receiver.
post #927 of 1004 Old 01-31-2011, 03:38 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Is your HDMI connection directly from the Dune to the RX-V ?

With the Dune or BD player set to output True HD or DTS-HD MA what does your RX-V display indicate ? It should show HDMI as the source (left side of the window. The sound mode should go to Straight (large display in the middle). The channel (active speaker) indicators (right side of the window) should show the 5.1 or 7.1 configuration matching the source soundtrack.

If the RX-v is not in Straight mode manually select it. The RX-V is unable to apply sound mode processing to bitstream audio.

Can you get standard Dolby DD 5.1 from the Dune or BD player on the RX-V or only PCM ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsirih View Post

Hi guys,

I own a RX-V863 (purchased 1 year and half ago) and recently bought a Dune 3.0 Prime Media Player. The problem is I cannot get DTS HD MA or TRUE HD on the receiver to light up and there is no sound coming out from the speakers. When I change the setting on the player to PCM I get PCM on the receiver and sound from the speakers (also the Dune indicates that it is sending DTS HD MA). I Have tried the player on other receivers with bitstream and it works perfectly well, so I guess it is not a player issue. I have tried different HDMI cables, and input hdmi ports on the receiver but no luck. Can anyone help, beacause I am really frustrated and seriously thinking of purchasing a new receiver.

Thank a lot.

post #928 of 1004 Old 01-31-2011, 06:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
Don't know if this will help with the Dune, but there was someone with an HTPC that couldn't get bitstreaming working. Following these settings fixed it for him:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladd View Post

Option Menu -> Video Settings -> Video Conv -> On
Option Menu -> Video Settings -> HDMI Res. -> *Through
Option Menu -> HDMI Set -> S. Audio -> RX-V863

I also have an option in the advanced setup to skip a monitor check that may or may not be useful for you.

Turn off AVR.
Hold "Tone" and press "Power" on AVR.
Use the "Program" dial to go to "Monitor Check..."
Press "Tone" to toggle the setting (options are "Yes" or "Skip").
Press "Power" to save setting.

post #929 of 1004 Old 02-01-2011, 02:24 AM

Just bought an 863 off of a gentleman on eBay. Received it this past week and am in the process of getting it setup. (I've only done a little manual tweaking) Man, is this thing amazing. Although I did note the clipping that's occuring on the HDMI pass-through. So I'm planning on moving all of my HD sources back in to my Mitsu 65 directly and run the audio, via optical, to the Yamaha. This receiver makes my M&K S85's really sing, but I have one question that relates to YPAO. I'm going to try the "Auto Setup" this weekend and was wondering, does it adjust the EQ's as well? I couldn't find anything in the manual, unless I just overlooked it. Thanks a bunch for eveyone's help & expertise. I've learned alot from perusing all of the previous posts.

Cheers,
KC

FTO13
"Forever the Optimist"
post #930 of 1004 Old 02-01-2011, 05:33 AM
AVS Special Member

YPAO uses a PEQ (Parametric EQ). You can try googling that for more info, but the short answer is yes. If you pick "FLAT" option, it will try to EQ your room to achieve a flat freq response. Not sure what Natural does, but again, you can research it. Hope this is a good starting point for you.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page