post #991 of 1004 Old 10-20-2012, 07:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syncmahv View Post

Can someone give me the latest wav. update file?

The 863 uses the same firmware as the 663. Here's a link.

Is there something in particular you need a fix for?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 1004 Old 12-18-2012, 09:12 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have the rx-v863 and recently the video from the PS3 has started flashing, on off etc. It's connected with HDMI. The dish network is also running through the receiver with HDMI and does not flash the video. Things I have tried:

Changed cables. No change, still flashed.
Changed inputs. The PS3 always flashes, and the Dish network HDMI does not, regardless of input or cable used.
Ran the PS3 directly into the TV. It does not flash.
Switched to a different TV with the PS3, worked fine.

So it seems like the PS3 and the receiver don't like each other..... Can't we all just get along!

I tried downloading the above firmware link, burned it to CD and followed the directions in the service manual. A message briefly flashes about "Header read" ( I think, it flashes fast) and then I get a "Model Type ERR" that comes up.

Next step?
post #993 of 1004 Old 12-19-2012, 03:28 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fxnecro View Post

I have the rx-v863 and recently the video from the PS3 has started flashing, on off etc. It's connected with HDMI. The dish network is also running through the receiver with HDMI and does not flash the video.
Sounds like the HDMI output on your PS3 is the culprit.

Can you try connecting the PS3 directly to your HDTV via HDMI? Still flashing? You've found the culprit.

I just went through a very similar story with my own V863, which I use to relay an old 4:3 480i DVD from my Oppo BDP-93 through the V863 (using component video out of the Oppo and into the V863, and then S-video out of the V863 and into a JVC 40K DVHS/SVHS VCR, and then S-video out of the VCR and into a 4:3 SD CRT television.

Well, it recently started "flashing" (i.e. image would disappear completely and then return, repeat, repeat) the same way I'm guessing your PS3 is flashing via HDMI connection. But in my case it was via S-video (at the end), starting off component video from the source device and relaying through several pieces of equipment and analog cable types.

So I tried various alternatives, to find the actual "culprit". The key is to cut out a relay device along the signal path and see if the symptom still exists. If yes, then that device is NOT the culprit. And in the end, it was not the Oppo source device or its component video output. And it was not the V863 or any of its component video inputs, nor was it any of the S-video outputs. And it was not either of the S-video inputs on the TV And it was not the S-video input on the SVHS VCR.

It was the S-video output circuitry in the VCR (feeding both of its S-video outputs) which was at fault, unrelated to what the source was or what device was at the other end of that S-video cable. I was able to produce the "flashing" symptom both on the directly connected TV and also through a second VCR, regardless of whether the source was (a) coming relayed from my DVD player, or (b) produced internally on the VCR by playing back an SVHS tape.

In other words, it is obviously an "old age" problem in the S-video output circuitry, no matter what the source. I've now simply removed that device and have the S-video cable from the V863 running directly to the S-video input of my TV... and of course no more flashing. I may or may not spend any money trying to get that JVC 40K repaired, as I have three other JVC DT100U machines that play the same DVHS/SVHS tapes and still work perfectly. And in this case I simply wanted to get 480i S-video from an old DVD over to my TV from my Oppo (relayed through the V863), and I don't really need to use that now-defective VCR at all.

Your situation may be similar. Removing the V863 in your HDMI relay, and going direct from PS3 to your HDTV will point to the culprit.
post #994 of 1004 Old 12-19-2012, 04:16 PM

I connected the PS3 to two different HD TVS using the HDMI and neither had the 'flashing' problem. I may try it again for a more extensive test since the problem seems to come and go. Sometimes it's so severe you simply can't use the PS3, and other times it might be fine for an hour at a time. I'd really like to try and flash the receivers firmware but I can't find the file anywhere.
post #995 of 1004 Old 12-20-2012, 05:43 AM
AVS Special Member

I don't think a firmware update will help, but it's worth a try. The error you got could be real (although I still think the 863 and 663 use the same firmware), but it could also be because the CD wasn't burned, or played back, correctly. You have to burn it with a program that doesn't modify the bits in any way.

Some software likes to adjust the volume of audio tracks, which is no good for burning a firmware disc. For example, in Windows Media player you have to turn off the option "Apply volume leveling..." or the disc won't work. Other software may have similar features that need to be disabled. On playback, you also need to make sure the player is outputting the original data at 44.1kHz. A player than resamples the data or applies some other processing will make the update fail.

That said, I'll take another look at the 663 firmware file tonight and see what models it seems to be for. I can also verify the burn you made if you re-rip the CD to get back a .wav file (make sure to rip losslessly). I can tell if it's still a valid Yamaha firmware file, or whether it got modified during the burn process.
post #996 of 1004 Old 12-20-2012, 07:28 PM
AVS Special Member

FXnecro, I don't know what might be causing your HDMI problem, but I do think that firmware file linked a few posts ago is for the 663, 763 or 863 (the file name even starts with Vx63_, rather than V663_).

So the error message you got is probably because of the way the CD was burned or is being played back. You could try again with different burning software, and a different player if you have one. Which software and player did you use when you got the error message?
post #997 of 1004 Old 12-21-2012, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Is there a way to change speaker selection (A, B, A+B) on the remote?

HT: Yamaha RX-V565 | 3 X Energy Take FPS, 2 X VS Surround, 2 X Take LCR | DIY Subs: SDX12 APR15 & TRIO12 Dual APR 12's | 47" LCD

Music: Yamaha RX-V863 | 2 X Energy RC-70 | MA RXw12 Sub

Bathroom: 2 X Energy Take LCR

Car: Sony Xplod HU, Xplod 6X9s, Kenwood 4"s, Alpine 12" Type-S, Rockford Amp,...

post #998 of 1004 Old 12-23-2012, 04:45 PM

I tried using both iTunes and Windows media player to burn the cd. I might have some version of Nero somewhere which I could try but at this point I believe the receiver is going. I had the "apply volume level.." turned off for both tries. Still get the "Model Type err" message. The cd/dvd player I have is an old Sony cd/dvd player model DVP-NS725P. It does have optical so I was able to attempt the firmware update / cd.

After further testing, it appears that the HDMI handshake between the PS3 and my V863 seems to be faltering. I ran the HDMI direct to the TV and ran the PS3 for many hours with no issues.

This is actually the second time the HDMI has caused me problems. The first time I took it and had it sent out for repair. I'm not going to do that again, I'll just get a new one. Looking at the Marantz SR7007 maybe.

I just thought attempting a firmware 'update' might help, and if I totally bricked it I would have a better reason to convince WifeUnit01 that we need a fancy new av receiver.

Still open to suggestions on fixes.
post #999 of 1004 Old 03-03-2014, 09:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Ok RX-V863 owners; 5-6 years on since this model was current, how is yours holding up? minor/major problems?? I'm asking because i have the possibility of getting one used at a decent price......
post #1000 of 1004 Old 03-03-2014, 09:45 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by vcrpro3 View Post

Ok RX-V863 owners; 5-6 years on since this model was current, how is yours holding up? minor/major problems?? I'm asking because i have the possibility of getting one used at a decent price......
I've had mine about 5 years now, and it's still performing perfectly.

I originally bought it primarily as a replacement for a Zektor 4-in-1-out component video/audio switch I'd been using for handling multiple video/audio sources, because I really wanted to use HDMI. Also, the V863 is very much "analog-centric" and included a complete set of S-video connections which was important to me at the time, something that appears to pretty much no longer be present on any current AVRs.

However about a year ago I made a significant equipment upgrade (entirely HDMI-based), and upgraded to a Yamaha RX-V867. Although S-video was now gone with the V867, the unit now had four HDMI inputs instead of three, and had two HDMI outputs instead of one. This was very important to me. Still had multi-channel analog audio inputs/outputs which was important to me. I simply stopped using the old analog VCR's and other video sources which were S-video based, which is just a step forward anyway as I've solved the problem by making much more practical and durable DVDs and BluRays of those old tapes.

Furthermore, the V867 had "party mode" which was a way to deliver downmix-to-stereo of multi-channel primary 5.1 input to a second 2-channel stereo set of external speakers, which was important to me in support of a particular TV location.

The V863 has been re-purposed (along with some other supporting original equipment) to provide multi-channel audio from my HTPC computer at a second location (fed via optical coax from the PC), while the V867 and related new equipment is the mainstay at the primary HDTV location. I suspect the V863 will be with me and still working perfectly for many years to come, in its current audio-only implementation. But it was just fine for me even when I using its S-video/component/HDMI video features as well.
post #1001 of 1004 Old 03-03-2014, 10:50 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks for the info. The receiver is available from a local Craigslist ad, the seller responded that it works properly but he is out of town until next week. I have been sitting on a couple of Marantz power amps and some Mirage speakers for a while, and the receiver has pre outs so power is no problem, and it is a price i can currently affored....so,we'll see if if he contacts me then or not:)
post #1002 of 1004 Old 03-11-2014, 12:52 AM
Advanced Member

Picked up my bargain RX-V863 today.. Too tired to hook it up today and run it through its paces. Tomorrow afternoons project.....smile.gif
post #1003 of 1004 Old 03-13-2014, 05:13 PM
Advanced Member

WooHoo!! Got a surround system again!! Lacking network capability is no biggie, i have been sitting on some Netgear EVA9150's and a EVA9000 for a while. Picked up a couple of Marantz power amps a while back, so the $C note Yammie is going to serve pre/pro duties (have it connected to speakers on its own amps currently).....biggrin.gif
post #1004 of 1004 Old 04-04-2014, 09:19 AM

Okay, as an owner of the 863, I'm a little confused by the bench test at sound and vision, that rated the 663 with more wpc (5 and 7 ch driven) than the 863.

Casts doubt on all of their work.

http://www.soundandvision.com/content/yamaha-rx-v863-av-receiver-ht-labs-measures

http://www.soundandvision.com/content/yamaha-rx-v663-av-receiver-measurements
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List