post #91 of 1006 Old 04-23-2008, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by slapya View Post

There was some confusion/question from the manual/specs about Component 1080p source to HDMI 1080p conversion.

I can say from real world test that it did not work, when I tried to set my XBOX 360 to output 1080p and it sent the test signal/screen - my epson 1080 UB went blank/no-signal. It works fine for 1080i, and the signal at the projector is 1080i thru the HDMI.

MadCatz has a hdmi add on kit for the component xbox owners, if anyone tries to add this to the mix, please post results. Thx

I have the HDMI version of the 360 and after reading this, it brings me to this question (Maybe I missed it, if it has already been answered). If I plug my 360 in with HDMI and set to 1080p, will it just pass this along through HDMI to my projector?

-Jason

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Almost "complete".
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-

SONY quality and customer service FTMFL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 1006 Old 04-23-2008, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamahaSHO View Post

I have the HDMI version of the 360 and after reading this, it brings me to this question (Maybe I missed it, if it has already been answered). If I plug my 360 in with HDMI and set to 1080p, will it just pass this along through HDMI to my projector?

Yes, but you will need to make sure you have the 360 set to output standard video levels (not expanded) because the 863 is probably not going to pass video levels below 16 and above 235.

(It would be useful if someone with an 863 confirmed the HDMI clipping then we could stop saying "probably".)
post #93 of 1006 Old 04-27-2008, 10:22 AM

Just got an 863 yesterday from Best Buy. After YPAO setup, this really sounds better than my DSP-A1 used to. I'm impressed. I have a single HDMI from my cable box, DVD player and PS3 to the AVR and a single HDMI cable out to my projector...........nice.

mooneycj
post #94 of 1006 Old 04-27-2008, 02:31 PM

So after months of research, I finally decided to go with the RX-v1800 replacing an 8-year old RX-V995. Now I start reading about the V863. Its not out in Canada yet, but is the v1800 worth extra money (assuming the v863 will be less expensive) ?

Thanks
post #95 of 1006 Old 04-27-2008, 05:36 PM

is the v1800 worth extra money (assuming the v863 will be less expensive) ?

Nope.

mooneycj
post #96 of 1006 Old 04-28-2008, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frollo View Post

So after months of research, I finally decided to go with the RX-v1800 replacing an 8-year old RX-V995. Now I start reading about the V863. Its not out in Canada yet, but is the v1800 worth extra money (assuming the v863 will be less expensive) ?

Thanks

I just replaced a Yamaha RX-V995 with an RX-V863 to get ready for an upgrade to HDTV. The power is comparable to the RX-V995 and I was interested in HD radio which the RX-V1800 doesn't have. The RX-V1800 is even deeper and probably wouldn't fit in my audio cabinet. I'm not using any yet, but the 3 HDMI inputs will be enough for when I finish my upgrade. If you think you'll need 4, then you'll have to go with the RX-V1800.

The RX-V863 remote is not a learning remote, but uses preset codes instead. It's good enough for my needs, although there is no code for my iPod universal dock (Apple's not Yamaha's). I bought an audio mini-jack cable to connect the receiver remote out jack to my Yamaha CD changer, so now I can start playing a CD with one press of the Scene button.

I really like the YPAO for setting up the speakers.

One small thing I miss from the RX-V995 is the LED light on the volume control. Also no separate record out selector. I don't think the RX-V1800 has these either.
post #97 of 1006 Old 04-28-2008, 05:14 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Received my HTR-6180 (same as rxv-863) the other day. Using YPAO, it set my speakers (all 5 are exactly the same) to Large, xover at 80, with sub at -9 !!!!! I can't remember the rest of the levels, and yes my sub is nearfield (all speaker distances are pretty much on the money) but still, -9?!?!?!?! Speakers are Acoustic Research AVP24 ported bookshelves, 5.25" drivers, 68-27k response, senstivity of 86-87db, 8 ohms, 15-75 power handling. Sub is SVS PB10-NSD with level at 50% as YPAO instructs. Why can't we run auto setup with speakers as small
post #98 of 1006 Old 04-28-2008, 06:24 PM

As it pertains to the 863....

I have my current 6 disk DVD player connected up component to the 863. Shortly I'll take the plunge on a BD player and I'm curious if when I hook the new player up via the HDMI DVD input, how can I differentiate between the two players.

Or do you suggest I junk my old DVD player? ;p
post #99 of 1006 Old 04-28-2008, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablotn View Post

As it pertains to the 863....

I have my current 6 disk DVD player connected up component to the 863. Shortly I'll take the plunge on a BD player and I'm curious if when I hook the new player up via the HDMI DVD input, how can I differentiate between the two players.

Or do you suggest I junk my old DVD player? ;p

As long as you're not already using all 3 HDMI inputs, you don't have to sacrifice the old DVD player. If either the DTV/CBL or DVR inputs are available you can use one of those HDMI inputs and rename the input in the Input Menu of Manual Setup. Or you can reassign the HDMI input [1] that's normally assigned to DVD, to V-AUX instead and rename that.
post #100 of 1006 Old 04-29-2008, 04:33 AM

Thanks Robin! Thats what I needed to know.

Thought there was a way to rename inputs on this great receiver.
post #101 of 1006 Old 04-29-2008, 07:24 AM

hi.does the 863 have the same issues as the 663 with btb/wtw?can it matrix 7.1 from a 5.1 bitsstreamed source?thanks.
post #102 of 1006 Old 04-30-2008, 02:05 PM

Owners of 863:

-Are any of you running HDMI through Comcast HD-DVR at 1080i, because I heard of some issues on handshake with some other receivers.
-Also, how hot is the 863 running?

Sounds like a pretty good machine from what I heard so far.
post #103 of 1006 Old 04-30-2008, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd430 View Post

Owners of 863:

-Are any of you running HDMI through Comcast HD-DVR at 1080i, because I heard of some issues on handshake with some other receivers.
-Also, how hot is the 863 running?

Sounds like a pretty good machine from what I heard so far.

I just hooked one of these up myself., replaces my Onkyo 503 This Yamaha runs much cooler than the Onkyo did.

Although I'm not hooked up to the Comcast DVR, both my Tivo and PS3 hooked up via HDMI have no probs at all.

Clean and loud sound to boot. I dig it so far. Still tweaking, but I do like it.
post #104 of 1006 Old 04-30-2008, 05:06 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Has anyone gotten the Dolby True HD and others to show up on the Display on the 863. I have tried everything I know to get it to reconize the new codecs and show up on the unit. I changed all combinations in delivery from my Panny BD10A bitstream versus pcm. Have read the part of the manual 3- Times concerning this, I must be a IDIOT it's got to be something simple. I'm just missing it.Yes they are Dolby THD DVD's .
Thanks for the help.

Nothing's Perfect So Stop Expecting It ! Glenee

post #105 of 1006 Old 05-01-2008, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenee View Post

Has anyone gotten the Dolby True HD and others to show up on the Display on the 863. I have tried everything I know to get it to reconize the new codecs and show up on the unit. I changed all combinations in delivery from my Panny BD10A bitstream versus pcm. Have read the part of the manual 3- Times concerning this, I must be a IDIOT it's got to be something simple. I'm just missing it.Yes they are Dolby THD DVD's .
Thanks for the help.

The Panasonic BD-10A will only decode TrueHD and output it PCM over HDMI. It doesn't support bistreaming of TrueHD and therefore will not show up as such on the receiver. As long as you set the Panny to output PCM over HDMI, and choose either the uncompressed or TrueHD track on a bluray you will be receiving TrueHD but it will never show up as TrueHD on the receiver. Only bitstreaming (aka the receiver is doing the decoding) will show the corresponding indicators.
post #106 of 1006 Old 05-01-2008, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Confusedsoul View Post

The Panasonic BD-10A will only decode TrueHD and output it PCM over HDMI. It doesn't support bistreaming of TrueHD and therefore will not show up as such on the receiver. As long as you set the Panny to output PCM over HDMI, and choose either the uncompressed or TrueHD track on a bluray you will be receiving TrueHD but it will never show up as TrueHD on the receiver. Only bitstreaming (aka the receiver is doing the decoding) will show the corresponding indicators.

Is this the way the PS3 works?
post #107 of 1006 Old 05-01-2008, 11:08 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:

Thanks Confuse, Man that was alot of stressfull moments for nothing. So until we get the Blu-Ray players that will pass it bitstream we are not going to get it. Right

Nothing's Perfect So Stop Expecting It ! Glenee

post #108 of 1006 Old 05-01-2008, 03:40 PM

sup guys , just got my 863 today to replace the old yamaha i've had for 9yrs., did not hook it up yet but hopefully by the weekend it'll be running, it does not look as fancy as my old yammy but it has everything needed to hook up my a/v sys. to, and i hope the new audio side of the receiver is backed by yamaha's name too , got a great deal- 40% off -on it plus always been a yamaha guy but was considering onkyo 875 and pioneer 94txh, hope i made a great choice, lol.
post #109 of 1006 Old 05-01-2008, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breathing Borla View Post

Is this the way the PS3 works?

Yes, the PS3 can only internally decode the HD formats and output PCM over HDMI. Some argue there is a difference, others not. I use a PS3 and am just fine with it. Just set the PS3 to output PCM and select all the output options and you're good to go. Do not use the optical out though, HDMI only for HD audio codecs.
post #110 of 1006 Old 05-01-2008, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenee View Post

Thanks Confuse, Man that was alot of stressfull moments for nothing. So until we get the Blu-Ray players that will pass it bitstream we are not going to get it. Right

Right, only players that can bitstream TrueHD and DTS HD MA through HDMI will show the information you desire. Though if you do ever get one you will be ready with this receiver so no worries there. Remember:

Multichannel PCM - Player is decoding the signal and outputting it through the receiver.

Bitstream - Player is outputting the information and the Receiver is to decode it.

In both cases above, to get the best quality sound, use multichannel pcm over HDMI.
post #111 of 1006 Old 05-02-2008, 12:17 PM

Quote:

Yes, the PS3 can only internally decode the HD formats and output PCM over HDMI. Some argue there is a difference, others not. I use a PS3 and am just fine with it. Just set the PS3 to output PCM and select all the output options and you're good to go. Do not use the optical out though, HDMI only for HD audio codecs.

Thanks,

This is the set-up I am looking at. I have everything except the receiver which i am looking for right now.

Do you thing there is any reason to get a difference blue-ray player when the price comes down that will bitstream everything, or doesn't it matter for sound quality. It's not worth the extra cash if only to have the display read DTS HD or whatever.
post #112 of 1006 Old 05-02-2008, 12:27 PM

Quote:

Right, only players that can bitstream TrueHD and DTS HD MA through HDMI will show the information you desire. Though if you do ever get one you will be ready with this receiver so no worries there. Remember:

Multichannel PCM - Player is decoding the signal and outputting it through the receiver.

Bitstream - Player is outputting the information and the Receiver is to decode it.

In both cases above, to get the best quality sound, use multichannel pcm over HDMI.

Thanks for breaking it down nice and clean.

easy to understand
post #113 of 1006 Old 05-02-2008, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breathing Borla View Post

Thanks for breaking it down nice and clean.

easy to understand

Your welcome, but to clarify, when I said both cases above, I meant the PS3 and BD-10A. Both bitstream and PCM should sound similar though there are some people that will say or hear different.
post #114 of 1006 Old 05-03-2008, 09:37 AM

I recently purchased a Yamaha RX-V863 and I'm very happy with it so far. Being the curious, technical type, I also bought the service manual for it from Yamaha. It came on a CD and is quite detailed. While it is for the V863, nearly all of it will be the same for the V636. It does answer some questions that people have.

There are two ways to update the firmware -- no news on an actual firmware update being available yet, though. It can be updated via a DVD/CD drive connected to the receiver through an optical or coax digital connection. Or, it can be updated via an RS232 connection. That unusual port to the right of the HDMI ports is for the RS232 connection. A special adapter cable is needed which can be purchased from Yamaha.

The speaker impedance selector (6 ohms / 8 ohms), simply changes the power amp voltage feed from the power transformer to a different set of taps. This lowers the highest voltage that the amps can provide to the speakers and so lowers the maximum available wattage. It affects all of the power amps, not just the front channels. So why does the manual say 4 ohm speakers for the front channels only? My guess is heat, either the transformer itself or the power transistor heatsink or both. Limiting the lower impedance speakers to only one pair reduces the maximum heat that will be generated. But by my reading of the schematic, it doesn't matter which two speakers are 4 ohm. The manual also indicates that if the temperature gets too high, the receiver will change to the lower impedance setting automatically.

The receiver has some self-diagnostic capabilities, but I haven't played with these.

If people have questions that can be answered by checking the schematic, I'll attempt to answer them. Please don't ask me to post the manual as I want to encourage Yamaha to make it available to anyone and so want to respect their copyright. If you have many questions, I recommend you get a copy of the manual yourself.
post #115 of 1006 Old 05-03-2008, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by poggio View Post

I recently purchased a Yamaha RX-V863 and I'm very happy with it so far. Being the curious, technical type, I also bought the service manual for it from Yamaha. It came on a CD and is quite detailed. While it is for the V863, nearly all of it will be the same for the V636. It does answer some questions that people have.

There are two ways to update the firmware -- no news on an actual firmware update being available yet, though. It can be updated via a DVD/CD drive connected to the receiver through an optical or coax digital connection. Or, it can be updated via an RS232 connection. That unusual port to the right of the HDMI ports is for the RS232 connection. A special adapter cable is needed which can be purchased from Yamaha.

It's interesting that they used a non-standard RS-232 connector, and it's not shown at all in the user manual. I guess they don't want to offer RS-232 control on these models (although it's quite possible it would work anyway).

I'd be curious to know if the service manual shows the PCB layout in enough detail to identify which chips are used? I'm specifically interested in the HDMI receiver and transmitter chips (i.e. exact part numbers).
post #116 of 1006 Old 05-03-2008, 11:39 AM

In addition to a block diagram, schematic diagram, and printed circuit board layouts, there is a parts list.

The HDMI receiver is a dual receiver part SII9135CTU; there is a note that no replacement part is available. The HDMI transmitter is part number SIL9134CTU. There is also an HDMI Switcher part number SII9185ACTU.
post #117 of 1006 Old 05-03-2008, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by poggio View Post

In addition to a block diagram, schematic diagram, and printed circuit board layouts, there is a parts list.

The HDMI receiver is a dual receiver part SII9135CTU; there is a note that no replacement part is available. The HDMI transmitter is part number SIL9134CTU. There is also an HDMI Switcher part number SII9185ACTU.

Thanks a lot. This document from Silicon Image (http://www.siliconimage.com/docs/sii...nal_1-9-07.pdf) shows how the receiver and transmitter chips are used together in an A/V Receiver. And since the 9135 only has two HDMI inputs itself, I guess the switcher is used to support more inputs. Maybe you can confirm that from your schematics?

The reason I asked is because of the HDMI clipping problem with all the other recent Yamaha's (they only pass video levels 16-235). So as you're the curious type , it would be good if you confirmed that your 863 also clips <16 and >235.

I assume the 663 uses the same Silicon Image HDMI chips (probably minus the switcher), and given that they are used in many other consumer devices, I'm confident that they could be programmed by the Yamaha firmware to pass 0-255. I will try and find a detailed datasheet for these Silicon Image chips to confirm that.
post #118 of 1006 Old 05-03-2008, 09:18 PM

The three HDMI inputs do go to the SII9185ACTU HDMI switcher and which is then connected to the SII9135CTU HDMI receiver.

I can't check the BTB or WTW clipping as I don't yet have a source with an HDMI output. I expect to get a Blu-ray player, either Sony or Panasonic, when the next generation comes out.
post #119 of 1006 Old 05-04-2008, 07:30 AM

God, I wish you would shut up about BTB/WTW. You've about ruined the 663 thread, why start it here as well?
post #120 of 1006 Old 05-04-2008, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colleton View Post

God, I wish you would shut up about BTB/WTW. You've about ruined the 663 thread, why start it here as well?

Just trying to make sure people are aware of it and maybe even get it fixed. I don't see how it helps anyone to find out about this after they buy, and since it's not yet been confirmed for the 863 we need someone to test it.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page