Advertisement

post #182 of 1006 Old 05-27-2008, 02:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Any place selling this thing for $500?

---------------------------------------------------

Audioliquidators is selling the 863 for 599$ I believe. I could not find if they are an authorized dealer that preserves the full manufacturers warranty. Does anybody know about Audioliquidators?

WAF factor? We don't need no stinkin WAF factor!!!

Proud Onkyo owner...If you can't stand the heat, get another receiver with a crappy amp section! =)
post #183 of 1006 Old 05-27-2008, 10:38 PM

After reading this thread and trying to set everything up how I think it should be, I am still concerned I have a problem, or am not doing something right. I have a couple Blu-ray discs with dolby true hd tracks on them, and I wanted to make sure I was able to listen to it with that audio option.

I have my PS3 hooked up through an HDMI cable to the Yamaha and I have the PS3 outputing audio in Linear PCM, now I know that the receiever wont show that it is doing Dolby True HD, but what I am concerned about is the fact that my surround back speakers are not shown on the display of the receiever.

The front, center, and surround left and right are lit up as working on the display, just not the surround back speakers. Should they be lit up on the display when I have a dolby true hd track playing? I thought that format utilized all 7 speakers, but I could be wrong. Should I be using a specific setting on the receiever other than just the sur. decode one?

I apologize for not being technically up-to-speed on things, just trying to set things up as best as the can be. Thanks for the help.
post #184 of 1006 Old 05-28-2008, 07:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by ted141psu View Post

After reading this thread and trying to set everything up how I think it should be, I am still concerned I have a problem, or am not doing something right. I have a couple Blu-ray discs with dolby true hd tracks on them, and I wanted to make sure I was able to listen to it with that audio option.

I have my PS3 hooked up through an HDMI cable to the Yamaha and I have the PS3 outputing audio in Linear PCM, now I know that the receiever wont show that it is doing Dolby True HD, but what I am concerned about is the fact that my surround back speakers are not shown on the display of the receiever.

The front, center, and surround left and right are lit up as working on the display, just not the surround back speakers. Should they be lit up on the display when I have a dolby true hd track playing? I thought that format utilized all 7 speakers, but I could be wrong. Should I be using a specific setting on the receiever other than just the sur. decode one?

I apologize for not being technically up-to-speed on things, just trying to set things up as best as the can be. Thanks for the help.

AFAIK, there are no 7.1 TrueHD blurays available yet
...only a few DTS-HD MA 7.1, and some PCM 7.1

What movie are you playing and what are the specs on the BD case?
I'm guessing it says TrueHD 5.1.

You "Can" however apply PLIIx to any LPCM to expand 5.1 to 7.1 (matrixed)
look it up in the manual, its in the sound menu

Hit the triangle button on the PS3 controller/remote while the movie is playing to display the audio and video settings and bitrate monitors. You can toggle through all the available audio options and even switch from bitstream/pcm using the PS3 pop-up menu.

My First Home Theater
...When a Kuro plasma still isnt enough, make your movie Experience Larger than Life with a Projector!
post #185 of 1006 Old 05-28-2008, 08:38 AM

3:10 to Yuma will light up all speakers in display with it's PCM 7.1 audio
Other options I've used to see the HD audio formats displayed on the PS3 (using the select button)
The Simpsons is 5.1 DTS-HD MA
300 is 5.1 DolbyTrueHD

I use PLIIxMovie to matrix my rear channels (to use all 7 speakers) when it's a 5.1 output, but you'll still only see 5.1 speakers on the front of the display. It shows you the incoming sound channels not the outgoing.
post #186 of 1006 Old 05-28-2008, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkripala View Post

Connect the DVD player component out and optical/coax to the 863. Configure the 863 to upscale to 1080p/i (compare the output)

That's what I have and I only get a blank screen on my 1080p TV. (Note I've tried all the different resolutions, blank across the board).

The Signal Info from the 863's menu shows "Composite -> HDMI" as if the unit doesn't recognize the component video input. (Yes, DVD Input is set to Component B and the cables from the DVD are in Component B).

Am I missing something?
post #187 of 1006 Old 05-28-2008, 09:17 AM

Just bought an 863...and got it for the price of an 663...lucky me. The store I bought it at has "Deep color (36 bit) support" as a feature...does this mean that the BTB and WTW issues that I saw earlier in this thread are not, in fact issues? Just curious.

Watched Transformers and several music DVDs and am very happy with the sound and features.
post #188 of 1006 Old 05-28-2008, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by golenskd View Post

Just bought an 863...and got it for the price of an 663...lucky me. The store I bought it at has "Deep color (36 bit) support" as a feature...does this mean that the BTB and WTW issues that I saw earlier in this thread are not, in fact issues? Just curious.

Watched Transformers and several music DVDs and am very happy with the sound and features.

Not for most consumers, if you do a search against this subject on the net most of the activity was generated from one particular avsforum thread, otherwise not that much discussion online.

Oppo Beta Group
post #189 of 1006 Old 05-28-2008, 10:49 AM
T2k

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post

Not for most consumers, if you do a search against this subject on the net most of the activity was generated from one particular avsforum thread, otherwise not that much discussion online.

Correct though I'd rather say it concerns certain setups, not consumers (as setups often change, customers doesn;t. )
However it's still an issue and a rather critical for those affected.
post #190 of 1006 Old 05-28-2008, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted141psu View Post

The speaker indicator only shows what channels are being input not what ones are being output to
post #191 of 1006 Old 05-28-2008, 06:40 PM

So how is the scaling in this AVR, say for standard definition cable?

Since the H&K 354 and Pioneer 1018 are not coming until July, I am starting to look at other alternatives.
post #192 of 1006 Old 05-29-2008, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cawgijoe View Post

So my question is.....if I purchase a Yamaha 863 or 1800, can I still get a picture via Component from the PS3 AND audio (TrueHD/DTS HD-MA) from the HDMI connection into the receiver?

I'm hoping that this will work because I'm not ready to buy a new TV.

I think it can do picture over component and sound trhough HDMI. I will check this today/tomorrow when I'll find some free time and will get back to you with definite anwser.

I have checked and it works. I did a video (1080i) over component and sound (DTS 24/96 bitstream and 5.1 LPCM) over HDMI.
post #193 of 1006 Old 05-30-2008, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raveer View Post

I think it can do picture over component and sound trhough HDMI. I will check this today/tomorrow when I'll find some free time and will get back to you with definite anwser.

I have checked and it works. I did a video (1080i) over component and sound (DTS 24/96 bitstream and 5.1 LPCM) over HDMI.

What display are you using? just curious why only 1080i and if thats a limitation in the PS3,863, or your TV when using component
did you check to see if BTB/WTW are passing now?

Did you purchase the PS3 adapter AV to Component connector?
I may get one of those today at BestBuy and give it a try for my PS3->RX-V1800->Kuro

My only concern is will I still be able to force 1080p like I can via HDMI ?
and would I lose 36 bit deep color for BD playback ? (all my current devices are HDMI 1.3)
I'm not sure if thats worth giving up for BTB/WTW

My First Home Theater
...When a Kuro plasma still isnt enough, make your movie Experience Larger than Life with a Projector!
post #194 of 1006 Old 05-30-2008, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by PioManiac View Post

What display are you using? just curious why only 1080i and if thats a limitation in the PS3,863, or your TV when using component

I may get one of those today at BestBuy and give it a try for my PS3->RX-V1800->Kuro

and would I lose 36 bit deep color for BD playback ? (all my current devices are HDMI 1.3)

BD doesn't use deep colour (it's not part of the spec and probably never will be). Also 1080i and 1080p should look exactly the same for anything stored progressively on the disk.

If Yamaha don't come up with a fix for the HDMI clipping soon, I'll probably run an additional component cable from my PS3 (in case I get the itch to watch Dirty Dancing again ). Not sure about the 863, but I've confirmed that the 1800 passes BTB/WTW from component in to HDMI out.
post #195 of 1006 Old 05-30-2008, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriktsemaj99 View Post

BD doesn't use deep colour (it's not part of the spec and probably never will be). Also 1080i and 1080p should look exactly the same for anything stored progressively on the disk.

If Yamaha don't come up with a fix for the HDMI clipping soon, I'll probably run an additional component cable from my PS3 (in case I get the itch to watch Dirty Dancing again ). Not sure about the 863, but I've confirmed that the 1800 passes BTB/WTW from component in to HDMI out.

When my PS3 is on, and I hit display on my Kuro,
it shows its receiving 1080p, 36 bit (using HDMI)

If it's going to change to anything less by using component, just to get BTB/WTW
I'm not willing to purchase the PS3 component cable adapter.

My First Home Theater
post #196 of 1006 Old 05-30-2008, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

When my PS3 is on, and I hit display on my Kuro,
it shows its receiving 1080p, 36 bit (using HDMI)

If it's going to change to anything less by using component, just to get BTB/WTW
I'm not willing to purchase the PS3 component cable adapter.

I'm not saying I would switch from HDMI to component (except to watch something with BTB that can't be seen properly over HDMI), just that if someone only has the option of component they shouldn't worry about 1080i vs 1080p for watching BDs.

And whether the PS3 outputs deep colour or not it won't be giving you a better picture for a BD movie, because it's stored on the disk as 8-bit.
post #197 of 1006 Old 05-30-2008, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

I guess I need to simplify my query

I have 3 main components I use regularly, all HDMI 1.3 spec
(PS3,RX-V1800,Pio Kuro Plasma)

Is using component for the PS3 limited to 1080i?
and is it a downgrade in PQ compared to HDMI 1.3 ? (no limits ,full 1080p)

I guess I'll have to find out for myself and buy the component cables

My PS3/Kuro combo kicks @ss!

My First Home Theater
post #198 of 1006 Old 05-30-2008, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I guess I need to simplify my query

I have 3 main components I use regularly, all HDMI 1.3 spec
(PS3,RX-V1800,Pio Kuro Plasma)

Is using component for the PS3 limited to 1080i?
and is it a downgrade in PQ compared to HDMI 1.3 ? (no limits ,full 1080p)

As far as I know PS3 will output BDs only up to 1080i over component (and even 1080i *could* be barred in the future by disks that use the ICT flag). Also DVDs will not upconvert over component (CSS license issue). And whenever I've compared component to DVI or HDMI in the past (on other equipment, not a PS3), the analog connection always had at least a very small amount of visible noise that was not on the digital connection (this will depend on the length and quality of your cables).

All in all there are quite a few downsides to component, and I would only use it if I didn't have an HDMI display or receiver.
post #199 of 1006 Old 05-30-2008, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

That's what I was afraid of,

Guess I'll live with the clipping, for now
... and continue to harass the crap out of yamaha support for a FW patch

My First Home Theater
post #200 of 1006 Old 05-30-2008, 12:28 PM

Quote:

Hey! I am using Philips 37PF9641 1080p. But Blu-ray by spec does not allow anything higher than 1080i over component (1080p games do work).

Yep I still have an AV-Component (and AV-VGA from PS2 linux kit) cable used for PS2 connection in the other room, where I keep "legendary" consoles.

As for deep colour, the BD can not benefit from it for now. As for BTB I've seen difference in XMB, when I switchd Full RGB range on in PS3 hooked up to my Philips over Yamaha 863, so I think this may be corrected. But notice it was very late and I haven't had a good night sleep for a week or so (frikin' deadlines).
post #201 of 1006 Old 05-30-2008, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

I dont really notice any BTB issues (yet) playing movies through my new RX-V1800,
and only needed to bypass my amp while calibrating my plasma so my DVE disc would work.

Now that the Kuro is dailed in, I dont foresee any problems with crushed blacks
...but you never know when the next Dirty Dancing type bluray is going to come along and dark details get washed out.

Yamaha really needs to fix this for the new 1.3 HDMI AVR's

My RX-V661 with v1.2 HDMI has no problem passing BTB/WTW

My First Home Theater
post #202 of 1006 Old 06-01-2008, 08:04 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Yeah I'm worried about risking loss of manufacturer's warranty.

I wouldn't mind a factory refurb though. Anyone know how we can look into that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CassMann View Post

Audioliquidators is selling the 863 for 599$ I believe. I could not find if they are an authorized dealer that preserves the full manufacturers warranty. Does anybody know about Audioliquidators?

post #203 of 1006 Old 06-01-2008, 08:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by CassMann View Post

At the bottom of the page you'll find the listing of authorized internet dealers.
http://www.yamaha.com/yec/customer/d...x?CTID=5010030
post #204 of 1006 Old 06-02-2008, 08:08 AM

All, I need some help. Just purchased the v863 this weekend, old 2700 came crashing down. Everything is set up 9.1, 2 presence speakers, but my sub - earthquake supernova mkv is creating substantial buzzing through all speakers. When it's unplugged or disconnected from the receiver, all is normal.

Any help on removing the buzz.

thanks.
post #205 of 1006 Old 06-02-2008, 11:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtbsgajd View Post

All, I need some help. Just purchased the v863 this weekend, old 2700 came crashing down. Everything is set up 9.1, 2 presence speakers, but my sub - earthquake supernova mkv is creating substantial buzzing through all speakers. When it's unplugged or disconnected from the receiver, all is normal.

Any help on removing the buzz.

thanks.

Sounds like you have a ground loop there. Does your sub have grounded power connection? If so, you can try lifting that (use one of the cheater 3 to 2 wire adapters) and see if that removes the hum. Also, you can try using a cable to the sub that lifts the shield (ground) at the sub end (these can usually be recognized by arrows printed on the wire that are to be oriented to point from source device to destination device).
post #206 of 1006 Old 06-03-2008, 10:33 AM

Hi Guys.........the F Connector radio antenna that comes with the 863 is nowhere near long enough or of enough quality for what I need. Does any one have any idea where to buy a better quality F Connector antenna for it? Thanks.
post #207 of 1006 Old 06-04-2008, 11:08 AM

OK. I've finally got my 863 setup with three inputs (TiVo, DVD and VCR) and HDMI output to my Mits HDTV.

TiVo (primary source) works fine.

DVD source provides audio, but no video. I have DVD connected with Component and digital audio. I am using the Component set labled DVD (uper left), but I get no video signal at all. I have tried all three Component assignments, but no help.

I have Video Conversion: ON and HDMI Resolution: 1080i (although I've tried THRGH also).

The VCR also has audio, but the video comes and goes (audio continues). This could be a simple VCR problem, its old and I haven't used it in many years.

It's the DVD that I need to get fixed.

I've gone thru the manuals and settings many times and can't figure it out. I've checked the cables and they're seated fine.

Any suggestions?
post #208 of 1006 Old 06-04-2008, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRM01 View Post

OK. I've finally got my 863 setup with three inputs (TiVo, DVD and VCR) and HDMI output to my Mits HDTV.

TiVo (primary source) works fine.

DVD source provides audio, but no video. I have DVD connected with Component and digital audio. I am using the Component set labled DVD (uper left), but I get no video signal at all. I have tried all three Component assignments, but no help.

I have Video Conversion: ON and HDMI Resolution: 1080i (although I've tried THRGH also).

The VCR also has audio, but the video comes and goes (audio continues). This could be a simple VCR problem, its old and I haven't used it in many years.

It's the DVD that I need to get fixed.

I've gone thru the manuals and settings many times and can't figure it out. I've checked the cables and they're seated fine.

Any suggestions?

JRM01 - I have the same problem (and same exact setup for the DVD) and haven't yet found a solution. I have tried putting the DVD on other Component Inputs also thinking I might just have gotten a lemon component input on the DVD label, but no go.

I have noticed that if I go to the signal info page on the menu it shows Composite -> HDMI which is incorrect and probably related somehow. I have verified all the menus and I am sure that I am set for Component input and HDMI conversion/upscale.
post #209 of 1006 Old 06-05-2008, 04:21 PM

My settings say the same thing.

This has me stumped. There was discussion earlier in this thread whether this box could upconvert component to hdmi and I thought that the answer was that it could. Guess I'll have to go back and reread them.
post #210 of 1006 Old 06-05-2008, 06:48 PM

Liked: 11
I have a 663 with the dvd player hooked by component & digital coax sound. It works great. Maybe I can look at my settings to help you guys out.

John

I forgot that the 863 has video upconvert so it will not be the same. My input shows analog & 480p to HDMI, HDMI output as 480p also. Sorry I could not help ;(
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page