Firmware/Update Requests For Onkyo/Integra-Please Read - Page 10 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-04-2008, 11:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thank you guys (and ladies if any...) I was almost crying seing that I was not able to resart the updater.

Then I redo everything and I did change one parameter. In the updater, I unchecked the Log visible box.

I know this is not in the manual description but I wanted some peace of mind to see that everything was going well , but I thought that maybe it was writing something and filling memory or something like that.

I rerun the main update and it went pass the file 233 going up, up, up,

I was making some progress and started to believe that was the reason of my problem.

Until ............................the end

Victory

Here it is, I am the happier man in the world right now.

Main Version 9 1.08/08223A
DSP1 08214A
DSP2 07518A
DSP3 07820B
HDMI 07706A
VIDEO 07606EO/
NET 1.01/070731z

I will never checked this "visible log" box again.

Then I got the E2prom error message but it was easy to solve. unplug the 905 , then plug it again and this is solved.

I believe I have lost all my settings even if I did the setting savings process but this is not important.

So the conclusion is that it is possible to use windows 98 SE with the updater and for the DSP I used a 10 year old Onkyo integra DX-C606 CD player.

Now back to optimisation and Audyssey settings
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2008, 12:48 PM

hmm, I was going to update the firmware on my Onkyo 875 today but the update didn't start.
The reciever is set in update mode ok
I have an usb-serial cable connected from my vista laptop to the onkyo and the com port is set ok.
The update.exe starts up but when I press the Main Update button nothing happens, it doesn't start the wrting process and nothing is happening on the onkyo display(dunno if it should)
The wierd thing is that one time(I tried a couple) the display on the onlyo said "searching FW..." but nothing happend in the update windows on the pc.

Anyone know what this is about?
I'm on fw 1.04
Old 04-04-2008, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkshark View Post

heh, Vista/Bill G bashing aside, feel free to PM me and I can help you out if you're having trouble with your USB>COM device... I've got a bit of experience with it now.

What can I say, I'm in a state of shock at the moment! After a marathon of attempts ( Thanks sharkshark for staying up helping me through this!! Hope you didn't lose too much sleep ) I FINALLY got it to update Today!! I gave it one last try and took a little of everyone's advice. Here is what worked for me;

-plugged in Keyspan USB into Computer. Set to COM2 in device Manager. SHUT DOWN computer.

-plugged Keyspan directly into RS232 of 905 ( REMOVED Screw posts on 905, thanks Pinkertp ) and taped it with electrical tape ( Thanks Joerod )

-started computer, opened Update.exe in App_Updater Folder, set Updater to COM2, speed to 9600 and checked "Log Visible"

-hold "enter" on 905 while plugging into ac outlet, "Main Update Mode" appears.

-clicked on "Main "Update" button in the Updater window and...........Holy Cow!! It started to write.......I thought I was dreaming, didn't get much sleep last night

-when writing stopped, display said "Complete" then "Clear" than went into Standby.

- unplugged the 905, removed the Keyspan, plugged the 905 back in, powered on and checked the NEW Firmware!!!! That's as far as I got, need to set everything back up and give it a test run.

Just want to thank everyone, too many names to mention, but you know who you are!!!

Ron
Old 04-04-2008, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quozl View Post

Australian delivered TX NR905 updated with 1.08 firmware and DSP updates from the files sent to me by joerod......thanks mate.

Hi Al, good to see you took the plunge and updated your receiver!!
My experienc was all that bad, although I did get the dreaded E2PROM ERROR message. But a quick search through the forums here revealed that it wasn't as bad as I first thought. A second attempt at the update went according to plan.

Port Lincoln
South Australia

I love watching movies!

HT Flickr Page

Old 04-04-2008, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

Thanks.

So far all PMs have been great. Not one rude person this time. Last time I had a few that acted like I owed them the firmware and really were rude in demanding it...

At least this time it has been easy and so far I can say there has been more people requesting since the 605, 705, 805 and Integra/Pro people are involved....

Joerod, you definitely deserve AVS Man of the year!

On another note, are you going to let us know how many requested firmware from you?

Thanks again
Old 04-04-2008, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forex View Post

hmm, I was going to update the firmware on my Onkyo 875 today but the update didn't start.
The reciever is set in update mode ok
I have an usb-serial cable connected from my vista laptop to the onkyo and the com port is set ok.
The update.exe starts up but when I press the Main Update button nothing happens, it doesn't start the wrting process and nothing is happening on the onkyo display(dunno if it should)
The wierd thing is that one time(I tried a couple) the display on the onlyo said "searching FW..." but nothing happend in the update windows on the pc.

Anyone know what this is about?
I'm on fw 1.04

When you open update.exe do you get, Firmware Read Result ********************************
001. F0000005 / FF000000
002. F0000005 / 01000000
003. F0000005 / 02000000
004. F0000005 / 03000000
*************************************************** If not the program did not install correctly.
Old 04-04-2008, 03:17 PM
JVi
Advanced Member

Also, with VISTA, once the PORT is set (COM 1, 2 or 3) the PC has to be re-booted before the you run the update program. This was reported earlier in post #273 above.
Old 04-04-2008, 03:25 PM

I did the DSP update on my 885 and the hardest part was getting the disc burned correctly. Windows Media player wanted to strip some of the info out of the file. I burned the disc anyway and it didn't work. I then used another program and it burned the disc the right way and the DSP upgrade was simple.

I also updated to FW 1.07 and the hardest part was getting the USB/Serial converter configured correctly. One that was done, the FW update went well.

When it was finished the 885 stayed on and I turned it off. After I turned it back on, I got the dreaded "E2PROM" error message. I shut it off again and when I turned it back on, I still had the message. It went away after 2 more cycles, but I decided to run the update a second time.

This time, when the update was complete, it shut down the 885 and restarted it. No error messages and I've run Audyssey and reset all settings.

So far, so good. The FW update is simple, so I will keep updating as new versions are released.

Thanks to Joerod for hooking us all up.

Old 04-04-2008, 03:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Don't forget to thank Gurkey for his continued efforts in helping us squeeze every last drop of performance from our Onkyo units...

For my latest Reviews and Stuff google -> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com
Check out my Datasat combo using Auro-3D:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1426295399824
Old 04-04-2008, 03:34 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I have a question that I haven't found the answer to using the search function on several forum threads.

I have an Integra 9.8 with firmware 1.04. If I update to 1.07 will I have the Ausyssey Pro function or do I need to update to 1.05 before I go to 1.07 in order to get the Audyssey Pro capability?
Old 04-04-2008, 03:35 PM

A big thanks to Gurkey.

Old 04-04-2008, 03:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmschnur View Post

Thanks for this. When foobar did not work were there any problems with the Onkyo or did you have a birck until you tried it with your Sony?

Joel

No problems whatsoever, just lost my settings...
Old 04-04-2008, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemenn View Post

Victory

Here it is I am the happier man in the world right now.

Main Version 9 1.08/08223A
DSP1 08214A
DSP2 07518A
DSP3
07820B
HDMI 07706A
VIDEO 07606EO/
NET
1.01/070731z

Wow. I have never seen anyone so excited about a firmware update... well, perhaps the Samsung BD-P1200 owners, but I digress. Congratulations, now go enjoy that receiver.

Hello World!
Old 04-04-2008, 05:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddgtr View Post

No problems whatsoever, just lost my settings...

It doesn't make sense (to me) why playing the file through foobar does not work. Playing music through spdif is easy and the ONK sees it as PCM 44.1 KHz...That is probably one of the most straight forward, simple programs you can use - and best sounding, too. So both the WAV file AND the finalized disc failed in that there was no writing to the DSPs. I first thought I bricked the darn thing, but it only wiped out my settings. Oh, there is one more thing that actually shows that these updates have some kind of built in idiot protection... Yes that's right, I did an idiotic thing... I was going for a third try, and instead of playing the wav file, I played one of my music files ?!?
Holy crap!! I own the efing thing now... I reset it, and it worked perfectly... I thought, no more fooling around punk, break out that Sony DVD player and do it the right way. Sure enough, it worked..., so for people who are in doubt whether to update or not, it's not that dangerous. Plus, this reinforces my beliefs that it is a legit ONK piece of software.

I'll probably post a question in the foobar forum, see what they think.
Old 04-04-2008, 05:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedoflight View Post

I have a question that I haven't found the answer to using the search function on several forum threads.

I have an Integra 9.8 with firmware 1.04. If I update to 1.07 will I have the Ausyssey Pro function or do I need to update to 1.05 before I go to 1.07 in order to get the Audyssey Pro capability?

Either way it would not matter much as long as they both add it. And 1.7 will probably completely erase and overwrite 1.5 anyway, so that would not help much by going to 1.5 first. But just having the option to do a pro calibration, will not also allow you to actually do it. Unless you also pay to have a Audyssey certified installer to come out and run the Pro calibration on your unit after you upgrade the firmware.

Other option is, if you find a way to buy the Ausyssey Pro calibration software and hardware package for yourself, and also buy the needed unlock "key" from Ausyssey for your 9.8. Either having a installer do it for you or buying the Ausyssey installer kit, would cost you about $400-$500.

But having your own kit, also means you would never have to pay someone to come back out and redo the calibration for you in case anything changed. But the problem is, you can't just order one up and buy a kit.
Old 04-04-2008, 05:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I am following the pdf instructions for the 875 main upgrade (i have a dtc 9.8). I am holding enter on the remote and then on the front face while plugging in the power cord and nothing happens.

Im sure i'm doing something stupid like misinterpreting the instructions but can someone let me know how theyre getting the DTC 9.8 into the firmware update mode?

Thanks!

EDIT:seems the DSP upgrade for the 9.8 isnt working either. I get to the part where Iam supposedto pressandholdthe "Tone +" button but it isnt going into the DSP mode when i do that. The display+standby part is working fine though.
Old 04-04-2008, 05:48 PM

Don't hold enter on the remote.

Only push enter on the unit while plugging in the power.

Old 04-04-2008, 06:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 111R View Post

Don't hold enter on the remote.

Only push enter on the unit while plugging in the power.

Thanks, tried it both ways and nothing.
Old 04-04-2008, 06:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
instructions are wrong for 9.8, you have to hold down Tuner+, not enter...

Old 04-04-2008, 06:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkshark View Post

instructions are wrong for 9.8, you have to hold down Tuner+, not enter...

THanks, what about for the DSP upgrade? What is used for the 9.8 instead of the tuner + button?

If the instructions are wrong, are we sure the firmware and DSP are ok though?
Old 04-04-2008, 06:53 PM

After failing with both of my computers which have optical outputs (tried 44.1 and 48 for the hell of it), I then tried using my ps2 and it worked. I believe someone had already mentioned the ps3, but the ps2 will also work.

-John
Old 04-04-2008, 07:20 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I have xp pro. I attached my keyspan set to com one. Everything works fine until I hit the Update Main button and nothing happens.

I get the:

Firmware Read Result ********************************
001. F0000005 / FF000000
002. F0000005 / 01000000
003. F0000005 / 02000000
004. F0000005 / 03000000

as soon as I hit the UPDATE.EXE.

Nothing happens when I hit Update Main.

Anyone?
Old 04-04-2008, 07:44 PM

Anyone here tried the update with an A20? i set all outputs to PCM correct? i do the key push combination it goes to s/pdifupdate i hit play but nothing happens .. no writes.

i almost forgot i have the 705

thx
Old 04-04-2008, 07:46 PM

Help! I am trying to update the DSP on my 885. It goes through the process, writing the 1st, 2nd and 3rd DSP, but then just stays on "S/PDIF update..." and doesn't say complete or clear. Should I turn off the unit at this point?
Thanks
Jeff
Old 04-04-2008, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrojeff View Post

Help! I am trying to update the DSP on my 885. It goes through the process, writing the 1st, 2nd and 3rd DSP, but then just stays on "S/PDIF update..." and doesn't say complete or clear. Should I turn off the unit at this point?
Thanks
Jeff

yea jeff sometimes it does not say clear you supposed to wait like 10 minutes then hit the power.
Old 04-04-2008, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrojeff View Post

Thanks
Jeff

A couple of 885 owners, incl myself, also see the "S/PDIF update" after 3rd DSP and stays there. Just turn off and power on again. the update should be complete
Old 04-04-2008, 08:10 PM
AVS Special Member

hey, what's an hour and a half on MSN with a stranger trying to get an update to work just cuz he's on AVS, that's not normal?

Out of -all- the questions I asked yesterday I swear I asked whether or not you were able to plug the adapter in directly without an extension cable. On my first usb>com (the belkin bastard) I also unscrewed the com so that the male/female linkup could be made (WOOOOooooo! *cough*) Classic trouble shooting, if I would have been in the room I could have seen that was the issue and stepped you through that.

That was the key, everything else we had tried.

Glad it worked!!! So, hear any major difference?

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectra57 View Post

What can I say, I'm in a state of shock at the moment! After a marathon of attempts ( Thanks sharkshark for staying up helping me through this!! Hope you didn't lose too much sleep ) I FINALLY got it to update Today!! I gave it one last try and took a little of everyone's advice. Here is what worked for me;

-plugged in Keyspan USB into Computer. Set to COM2 in device Manager. SHUT DOWN computer.

-plugged Keyspan directly into RS232 of 905 ( REMOVED Screw posts on 905, thanks Pinkertp ) and taped it with electrical tape ( Thanks Joerod )

-started computer, opened Update.exe in App_Updater Folder, set Updater to COM2, speed to 9600 and checked "Log Visible"

-hold "enter" on 905 while plugging into ac outlet, "Main Update Mode" appears.

-clicked on "Main "Update" button in the Updater window and...........Holy Cow!! It started to write.......I thought I was dreaming, didn't get much sleep last night

-when writing stopped, display said "Complete" then "Clear" than went into Standby.

- unplugged the 905, removed the Keyspan, plugged the 905 back in, powered on and checked the NEW Firmware!!!! That's as far as I got, need to set everything back up and give it a test run.

Just want to thank everyone, too many names to mention, but you know who you are!!!

Ron

Old 04-04-2008, 08:11 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rygar View Post

yea jeff sometimes it does not say clear you supposed to wait like 10 minutes then hit the power.

Per the instructions...
Old 04-04-2008, 08:13 PM

Well crap i guess this its sort of funny .... i tried to update my 705 using the bd30 and the a20 with 3 different cd's with no success

Since i actually never pluged in my optical ports i decided to play some music through the opt1 and GUESS what nothing no output nothing then i plug in the a20 in opt2 and voila music tried going back to opt1 nothing ..... could i have a bad opt1 .... what are the odds... that will teach me not to test everything as soon as i bought it...

What is the warranty on this things i hope its 1 year
Old 04-04-2008, 08:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expletive View Post

THanks, what about for the DSP upgrade? What is used for the 9.8 instead of the tuner + button?

If the instructions are wrong, are we sure the firmware and DSP are ok though?

FOR THE INTEGRA 9.8

You're getting confused - holding tuner+ button on power on gets you into Main Update... For DSP, you hold display and standby, and cycle through with the =tone= button to see the latest. Go to DSP1 status and hit RETURN (not ENTER) and hit play... good to go!