Old 04-09-2008, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Broderick View Post

Although I have an 805, so haven't requested the firmware from Joe yet, I made a donation in anticipation of doing so once it is available. Given that Joe is planning on doing something nice for his Onkyo contact before the 805 firmware will likely become available, I suggest that anyone else who intends on requesting the 805 firmware, also make a donation in advance of the availablity.

I am at it (805 Main).
Just check my signature link (daily).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2008, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by gurkey View Post

I am at it (805 Main).
Just check my signature link (daily).

I'm confused. Are you saying that the main firmware update for the TX-NR805 is available? Because that's what I was referring to. Your signature link, as well as this thread indicates that the main firmware is not yet available for this model, but the DSP firmware update is.
Old 04-09-2008, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Broderick View Post

I'm confused. Are you saying that the main firmware update for the TX-NR805 is available? Because that's what I was referring to. Your signature link, as well as this thread indicates that the main firmware is not yet available for this model, but the DSP firmware update is.

No.
It's on factory fresh units.
It's available someplace.
But it takes time to find it in the wild and make it "publicly" available.
Everybody who already has it, had it either from the factory or service point installed.
805 owners are less willing to take a chance doing it on their own... because the unit ist not that heavy.
I do have someone at hand, who has it, but won't hand it out... yet.

I do my best (might not be enough though )
Therefor no link, yet.

Just the same story with the 875 / 905 / 605 in the past ...

It might be any day...
Old 04-09-2008, 07:29 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Category 5 View Post

I retried using the PS3 and finally got the DSP3.... message. Afterwards all 3 DSPs reported the new versions.

??? Using with PS3 can complete update the DSP3? It is strange, I'm using Onkyo SP800 for upgrade DSP firmware on my 805 but the FW upgrade couldn't be completed on DSP3. I have to wait for 10 mins. then switch off my 805 as what written in the PDF. Anyway, since my 805 has the updated fw on DSP2 & DSP3, I didn't retry any.
Old 04-09-2008, 07:51 PM

Quote:

Your file length is correct, the problem is your player somehow. I had the problem over and over using an HD-XA2 to do the update. DSP1 and DSP2 updated, but not 3. Even after the 10 minute wait, and switch off DSP1 and 2 were reporting the correct (updated) numbers and DSP3 remained the old version.

I retried using the PS3 and finally got the DSP3.... message. Afterwards all 3 DSPs reported the new versions.

Thanks for confirming my file length. Looks like I'll be trying a differenct player to see what happens. I was using an older Sony DVP NS725P.
Old 04-09-2008, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigW View Post

Did you check the revision of the third DSP currently installed? It may be that it is already up to date. Just guessing. Or it may happen so quickly you missed it.

From some of the earlier posts, it looks like most were getting an update to the third DSP to 07820B from the original 07518A. Hopefully, trying a different player (PS2) may work.
Old 04-09-2008, 08:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by msinghof View Post

From some of the earlier posts, it looks like most were getting an update to the third DSP to 07820B from the original 07518A. Hopefully, trying a different player (PS2) may work.

Yes. It should be 07820, and it also should say DSP3 during the update. The reference to shutting off after 10 minutes is regarding the unit not switching off itself after it says complete. In my case, and yours we never get to the COMPLETE display because DSP3 never updates.

Every time I checked after the fai;ure DSP1 and 2 were updated but not 3.

I Like Digital!
Old 04-09-2008, 08:51 PM

Quote:

Yes. It should be 07820, and it also should say DSP3 during the update. The reference to shutting off after 10 minutes is regarding the unit not switching off itself after it says complete. In my case, and yours we never get to the COMPLETE display because DSP3 never updates.

Every time I checked after the fai;ure DSP1 and 2 were updated but not 3.

SUCCESS!!! Used a PS2 (optical out of course) and was able to get the third DSP to update to 07820B from 07518A. I saw the three "write" sequences however the 705 still did not go to clear and off automatically. I had to perform a manual standby after 10 minutes to get a clear. Thanks!
Old 04-09-2008, 11:33 PM

Quote:

No.
It's on factory fresh units.
It's available someplace.
But it takes time to find it in the wild and make it "publicly" available.
Everybody who already has it, had it either from the factory or service point installed.
805 owners are less willing to take a chance doing it on their own... because the unit ist not that heavy.
I do have someone at hand, who has it, but won't hand it out... yet.

I do my best (might not be enough though )
Therefor no link, yet.

Just the same story with the 875 / 905 / 605 in the past ...

It might be any day...

Thanks for your efforts on this... I'm sure there are many (!) 805 owners very anxiously awaiting the 1.08 update. Just for the record, the 805 weighs exactly the same as the 875 (50.9lbs) and only about three pounds less than the 905.
Old 04-10-2008, 06:52 AM

Quote:

Lip sync and audio delay issues where gone for good (905) after the 1.08 "Main" firmware update. At least on my set.

Do you have HDMI Lip Sync Disabled or Enabled? If Disabled what delay did you set it to, if Enabled what is your Monitor setting it to? Thanks!
Old 04-10-2008, 07:27 AM

Hello, I have one of the early 605's with main firmware 1.00. I'm debating whether or not to send it into Onkyo for an update. Their website says I need the update and they have sent me the box and label I need to return it. I have applied the DSP update. If a main update becomes available for the 605 somewhere online, I was wondering how it would be applied. I'm almost positive my 605 doesn't have a RS-232 port. Could it be done over optical like the DSP update? I have the lip-sync isssues that some are reporting even after the DSP update. I'm assuming that Onkyo would update the main firmware but I'd rather not send it off if an update would be available online soon. Just curious how the main update would be done on the 605 and should I just send it in? Also kind of worried that they would see I updated the DSP myself and then not do anything to it. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

I'd rather be flying
Old 04-10-2008, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Is there any way we can find out what has changed in each of the updates. I know the DTS bomb has been fixed in the DSP update-but are there other changes?

I have found out that the audio switching is better in the 885P main update-but what else?

Joel
Old 04-10-2008, 07:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I'm having difficulty upgrading my 885. I don't have net access at home so I downloaded the DSP file and burned it to a CD before unzipping it. The computer still says that some files could be missing but how could they be, so I went ahead and burned it to disc. I figured I could unzip it at home and burn it as a wav file there. However, the unit just sits there saying updating and I never see the write 1, etc. What am I doing wrong? I'm using a standard CD player to opt1. The main firmware says I am missing a DLL file, so I skipped ahead to 3 but it still says I am missing the same DLL file. I found an old Compaq computer with a dedicated com 1 port to do the update. I feel this technology is passing me by. It definetly was easier to update the Panasonic BD-30.
Old 04-10-2008, 07:54 AM
rlb
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by spectra57 View Post

Do you have HDMI Lip Sync Disabled or Enabled? If Disabled what delay did you set it to, if Enabled what is your Monitor setting it to? Thanks!

Correct delay is dependent upon your particular display (i.e., it's video processing time). That's automatic if it's HDMI 1.3 and supports lip sync; but otherwise up to you to determine the appropriate adjustment. My SXRD takes approximately 30ms for video processing and would require a higher adjustment than a display requiring 15ms for video processing.
Old 04-10-2008, 09:39 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkpro View Post

I'm having difficulty upgrading my 885. I don't have net access at home so I downloaded the DSP file and burned it to a CD before unzipping it. The computer still says that some files could be missing but how could they be, so I went ahead and burned it to disc. I figured I could unzip it at home and burn it as a wav file there. However, the unit just sits there saying updating and I never see the write 1, etc. What am I doing wrong? I'm using a standard CD player to opt1. The main firmware says I am missing a DLL file, so I skipped ahead to 3 but it still says I am missing the same DLL file. I found an old Compaq computer with a dedicated com 1 port to do the update. I feel this technology is passing me by. It definetly was easier to update the Panasonic BD-30.

It sounds like you're mixing / confusing the DSP update with the firmware update. Each update is distinct and separate. DSP update is done via cd output via optical to opt-1 on the unit. Firmware update is done via computer through the rs232 port on the unit. Read the instructions for each update carefully.
Old 04-10-2008, 10:18 AM
Advanced Member

I am doing the DSP via the optical from the CD. I think I may be doing the burning of the CD wrong. Tell me if this is a good way to do the burns. I don't have internet at home, so I am forced to do the discs at work. I am doing it again today.
I downloaded both zipped files to a folder. Then I sent both compressed files (hit send to CD) to a CD-RW. When I get home I will extract them and burn the DSP file to a CD-R as a wav file using Easy CD Creator.
The main firmware I will load directly into an old Compag laptop running Windows 98 and unzip there and try to update the 885.
After I download the file (without unzipping) it says there may be some files lost. Is this a normal prompt? This may be my main problem.
The CD player recognizes the CD (DSP Upgrade, not Firmware) and plays, but the 885 does nothing. I get the right display on the 885 but it doesn't do anything.
Old 04-10-2008, 10:22 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkpro View Post

I am doing the DSP via the optical from the CD. I think I may be doing the burning of the CD wrong. Tell me if this is a good way to do the burns. I don't have internet at home, so I am forced to do the discs at work. I am doing it again today.
I downloaded both zipped files to a folder. Then I sent both compressed files (hit send to CD) to a CD-RW. When I get home I will extract them and burn the DSP file to a CD-R as a wav file using Easy CD Creator.
The main firmware I will load directly into an old Compag laptop running Windows 98 and unzip there and try to update the 885.
After I download the file (without unzipping) it says there may be some files lost. Is this a normal prompt? This may be my main problem.
The CD player recognizes the CD (DSP Upgrade, not Firmware) and plays, but the 885 does nothing. I get the right display on the 885 but it doesn't do anything.

You don't burn the cd-r as a wav file. You need to burn it as an audio cd. There is a difference. And, there is only one compressed file and there is only one wav file that gets burned to the cd-r disk. The compressed file contains the wav file and the .pdf instruction file.
Old 04-10-2008, 10:29 AM
Advanced Member

Ok, I will try that. I will try using Easy CD Creator when I get home. Thanks
Old 04-10-2008, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I had problems at first too with the dsp update. I burned a cd with whatever my computer has built in and it too would just play through and not update. I downloaded Nero as someone else mentioned here and burned the cd and the update worked the first time. I used the Panny BD30 BD player to play the cd as well.

Elite PRO-70X5FD!

dvdguru

Xbox Live Gamertag: AVS Steve
Old 04-10-2008, 11:42 AM
Advanced Member

I hope I can get it right. I'm starting to feel like my father, lost in a too technical world.
Old 04-10-2008, 12:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
After sucessfully updating the DSP's on an Integra 9.8, I'm now trying the firmware update. When I plug in the 9.8 while depressing the "enter" button, I do not get the update message on the display I should be getting. Is there some technique here, like releasing the enter button as soon as you plug it in or something like that?

MIKE

For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong.
--H. L. Mencken
Old 04-10-2008, 12:47 PM
sjv
AVS Special Member

Location: New Orleans' North Shore-beautiful St. Tammany Parish LA
Quote:
Originally Posted by mraub View Post

After sucessfully updating the DSP's on an Integra 9.8, I'm now trying the firmware update. When I plug in the 9.8 while depressing the "enter" button, I do not get the update message on the display I should be getting. Is there some technique here, like releasing the enter button as soon as you plug it in or something like that?

Mike, the instructions that you're following are for a Onkyo 905. In order to get to the "Main Update Mode" on an Integra product like your 9.8 or my 8.8, you must hold down the "tuning up" button instead of the "enter" button while plugging in the unit......try it, it works. I got these different instructions from Integra when I did my 1.05 update.

II) Procedure for Upgrading Main FW on the unit
Connect the RS232 port of your PC to the receiver (unplugged) RS232 port by using a RS232 straight cable. Keep unit unplugged. Press Tuning up button and in this condition you should plug the receiver in the AC outlet. You will see on the display “Main Update mode”. After this follow the following steps.
a) Open “App_Updater_8.8 (905)” folder and Double click on “update.exe”. You will see following GUI.
b) Check the COM port. It should be same as the RS232 port of your PC connected to your receiver (usually COM1).
c) Click on “Main Update” button.

Also, I assume you have your 9.8 correctly attached to your computer with a RS232 "straight" cable and everything else is normal? It's not mentioned in your post.
Old 04-10-2008, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Just to confirm, once your DSP's are updateed to 82- 75-78 your DTSHDMA bomb is cured?
Right?

The proper setting for sharpness is always0.
Also my Oppo BDP-103D is region free.
That makes me awesome.
Old 04-10-2008, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanboyz View Post

Just to confirm, once your DSP's are updateed to 82- 75-78 your DTSHDMA bomb is cured?
Right?

correct

HD HD HD I Need more HD, Yes I am a HD Addict :)
Old 04-10-2008, 07:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Thanks, that got me in the right mode. Now I need to get the software to actually update. I do not get any counting in the small window on the lower right of the update window even though I have the view log box checked. I just updated another device with the same computer and cable successfully, so I don't think there is a computer/cable problem. I'm on com1 at 9600 baud in the updater and Control Panel says that's where the serial port is located. Any suggestions?

I've updated firmware on lots of gear, but this is the messiest, most confusing technique I've seen since the days of DOS and C:\\.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjv View Post

Mike, the instructions that you're following are for a Onkyo 905. In order to get to the "Main Update Mode" on an Integra product like your 9.8 or my 8.8, you must hold down the "tuning up" button instead of the "enter" button while plugging in the unit......try it, it works. I got these different instructions from Integra when I did my 1.05 update.

MIKE

For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong.
--H. L. Mencken
Old 04-10-2008, 07:51 PM

Liked: 14
I went to Fry's and obtained a "Cables Unlimited" USB to Dual DB9 Serial Cable". Everything went according to the instructions with the exception that I am unable to get my HP laptop to recognize the UBS connection and/or assign it to port 1. Any ideas or suggetions?
Old 04-10-2008, 08:30 PM

Have you loaded the driver? There is a small CD in the package. Mine worked after I loaded the driver.

Old 04-10-2008, 10:13 PM
sjv
AVS Special Member

Location: New Orleans' North Shore-beautiful St. Tammany Parish LA
Quote:
Originally Posted by mraub View Post

Thanks, that got me in the right mode. Now I need to get the software to actually update. I do not get any counting in the small window on the lower right of the update window even though I have the view log box checked. I just updated another device with the same computer and cable successfully, so I don't think there is a computer/cable problem. I'm on com1 at 9600 baud in the updater and Control Panel says that's where the serial port is located. Any suggestions?

I've updated firmware on lots of gear, but this is the messiest, most confusing technique I've seen since the days of DOS and C:\\.

1st, I assume (watch it!) that you have Main Update Mode Ver. 1.01/07615L showing on your display and that you've completely unzipped TX905_MainUPG_RS232 (including Setup_Updater905E223.zip).

If correctly done, there will be a 44 KB file in there somewhere named "update" without the quotes. Double click on that and a window named Updater will open. DO NOT CHECK Log Visible. Just click on "Main Update" lower left and the numbers should start running in the box lower right and on your 9.8 display window. Let it run until the DVR puts itself in standby (off). It takes about 20 minutes.
Old 04-11-2008, 12:36 AM

updated my 875 main firmware 1.05 then 1.07 with no problem.save everything before i started each update.I used a old crappy computer someone was going to toss in the garbage,i seen it had a rs232 port and rescued it from the recyceling bin.It worked great only took 10 min on each update.I haven updated the dsp,but i played
my blurayDTS HD MA.even before the update with no poping no bomb.
Old 04-11-2008, 05:01 AM
Advanced Member

I got the DSP update to work finally. Now the firmware fix won't work. I got the error there was a missing DLL file. Found the file in the support folder and moved it to the same window as the "update" executable file. I then come to the screen with "main update" and it does nothing. Any clues?

Also, when I updated the DSP, I never got a message saying "complete" I did see Writing 1,2,3, etc. I powered down after about half an hour and checked the numbers, they were to the new revision. Everything was reset also.