Firmware/Update Requests For Onkyo/Integra-Please Read - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #631 of 5560 Old 04-21-2008, 06:31 PM
Member
 
atomtom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 75
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakes&Arrows View Post

Here's my email and response to Onkyo customer service regarding the 805.

I've recently purchased an Onkyo TX-SR805 and was wondering how I would go about updating the frimware. The version I have is 1.03; I've read on the Internet that the most current version is 1.08. I was wondering if I needed this update to resolve any issues with the receiver. Thank you for any help.

Seems straightforward enough. Just testing the waters to see what response I would get, if any.

The Reply (EXACTLY how I got it):

We do have a DTS-Master update, you can do the update at home but you will need to have a cd, player with a optical, output connected to the receiver, i will attach, info for the update if you want to do it you can fax the info back, or you can get the update at your regional, service center.

Again, that you for contacting Onkyo USA Product Support, if you need further assistance feel free to call us etc.etc.etc.

Now, besides the use of commas and "i" instead of "I;" there was nothing even attached to the message for me to fax. They are also acting like the main firmware update doesn't exist.
Also, they provided no information on a regional service center. On their website it says that the nearest region service centers are 3 Cambridge Soundworks that have been closed for about 4 years, and Circuit City. I'm assuming that Circuit City IS NOT where the update will be done, they'll probably ship it and charge a nice fee. Also, I bought a service contract with them for an A/V receiver in the past. They sent it out to be serviced and it came back, 1 not fixed, and 2 with a huge dent in the side.

Comments/opinions?

Well, at least you got some response. I contacted Onkyo Pro four weeks ago and they never even acknowledged my message.
atomtom is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #632 of 5560 Old 04-21-2008, 07:29 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ddgtr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: In A Government Yard In SacTown
Posts: 1,830
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Snakes,
This has been going on for a while with Onkyo. I blame Onkyo's upper management, all the way up to their CEO. Among getting yearly bonuses in excess of $1 million, the job of a CEO should also include checking to see if there is negative publicity of the company. Given the internet search engines, that should be fairly easy - even for a CEO. If he is oblivious at what's going on around him, then he must be an... oh shucks, I won't say it this time...

Just think about what would happen if you and I acted like this in our daily jobs...

Onkyo apologists claim that a firmware update is difficult to implement. Let's see: Toshiba, Panasonic etc etc have new products out i.e. hi def dvd players of high complexity yet all you have to do is download a file and follow some directions. It's not a walk in the park, but let's face it, even people with almost no computer knowledge know someone who can help.

Another insanly weird thing Onkyo has done was to cut all ties with authorized repair centers. Well, it was more like the other way around: these centers do not want anything to do with Onkyo because of lack of assistance, lack of timely assistance from Onkyo engineers and taking forever to receive basic repair parts. So all Onkyo has it's a few scattered regional centers. We the shmucks must therefore accomodate their incompetence and ship our units half way across the US. Oh, and when they ship them back the receivers are either not fixed or have dents in them...

So given the above, it's clear that Onkyo does not care whether or not their reps can put together a sentence that makes sense...

...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ddgtr is offline  
post #633 of 5560 Old 04-21-2008, 11:35 PM
AVS Special Member
 
eldithomaso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: So. California
Posts: 1,954
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Were it not for Gurkey and Joerod we would all be fumbling and grumbling in the dark.

I half expect joerod's next meeting to occur in an alley with the disc being slipped out of a van as it rolls slowly away from him down the alley.

I could not get a confirmation of any upates let alone the DSP update from Onkyo tech support directly last week. My E-mail from earlier in the month was even less helpful.

If Onkyo dosen't get their act together and make these updates more public ...Next time - I know where to spend my $2k plus. It's back to Pioneer at least they have a Service Center here in Long Beach, CA.

Isn't it time someone promoted quality as value?
eldithomaso is offline  
post #634 of 5560 Old 04-22-2008, 05:48 AM
AVS Special Member
 
jmschnur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: VA MD DC area
Posts: 2,940
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

The silence is mainly because I had to work hard today. We had a nice time. I will say that there is already another firmware in the mix (or fix) and should hit sometime soon. It will be 1.10 and 1.09 (905 & 875). I find it odd that they still act like the 107 & 108 do not exist over here. Maybe they are playing leap frog with the firmware updates? I was told the 805, 705 and 605 are there but they have not figured out how they want to distribute them. I volunteered of course and am waiting for her to get back to see if she can send them to me. She did not have them on her. That would have been awkward having her slip me some discs in the middle of dinner. She did say to say thanks to all of those that chipped in. She did not and does not ever expect anything. I am expecting some info this week from her about the other units and their latest firmwares... The quest continues... (and yes she did look HOT Friday night)...

Thanks for all of your efforts in our behalf. I look forward to the next round of firmware for the 885P and hopefully the 805.

Is it possible for Onkyo to provide data on what the new firmware (also for the 1.07 versus 1.06, 1.05 etc) does differently then the old firmware? This would be very very helpful. The same for the DSP fix as well.

I am aware of several older issues with respect to "poping" and a non corect rendering of colors (SD versus HD) and it wold be useful for avid users of Onkyo products to know what is being changed so we can provide feedback to them as they strive to make a great product even better. This would lead to Onkyo getting more accolades in the press leading to more sales and profits.

Thanks,

Joel
jmschnur is offline  
post #635 of 5560 Old 04-22-2008, 06:05 AM
Senior Member
 
manofsteele's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 278
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

The silence is mainly because I had to work hard today. We had a nice time. I will say that there is already another firmware in the mix (or fix) and should hit sometime soon. It will be 1.10 and 1.09 (905 & 875). I find it odd that they still act like the 107 & 108 do not exist over here. Maybe they are playing leap frog with the firmware updates? I was told the 805, 705 and 605 are there but they have not figured out how they want to distribute them. I volunteered of course and am waiting for her to get back to see if she can send them to me. She did not have them on her. That would have been awkward having her slip me some discs in the middle of dinner. She did say to say thanks to all of those that chipped in. She did not and does not ever expect anything. I am expecting some info this week from her about the other units and their latest firmwares... The quest continues... (and yes she did look HOT Friday night)...

Good stuff! Hopefully Onkyo will just design a method to send out the FW instead of having to play this cloak and dagger game.
manofsteele is offline  
post #636 of 5560 Old 04-22-2008, 06:22 AM
Advanced Member
 
frank1940's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Central Ohio
Posts: 673
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

The silence is mainly because I had to work hard today. We had a nice time. I will say that there is already another firmware in the mix (or fix) and should hit sometime soon. It will be 1.10 and 1.09 (905 & 875). I find it odd that they still act like the 107 & 108 do not exist over here. Maybe they are playing leap frog with the firmware updates? I was told the 805, 705 and 605 are there but they have not figured out how they want to distribute them. I volunteered of course and am waiting for her to get back to see if she can send them to me. ........ I am expecting some info this week ... about the other units and their latest firmwares... The quest continues..

Quote:
Originally Posted by manofsteele View Post

Good stuff! Hopefully Onkyo will just design a method to send out the FW instead of having to play this cloak and dagger game.

Yes, and the 'cloak and dagger process' would work a whole lot better if there was a lot less discussion about what it is(could be, might be) happening. Lets everyone just sit back in silence and wait until things work out. All this speculation does is to make some of the parties involved very nervous. (Remember, someone's job could be on the line here!)
frank1940 is offline  
post #637 of 5560 Old 04-22-2008, 06:43 AM
sjv
AVS Special Member
 
sjv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: New Orleans' North Shore-beautiful St. Tammany Parish LA
Posts: 1,045
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by eldithomaso View Post

Were it not for Gurkey and Joerod we would all be fumbling and grumbling in the dark.

I half expect joerod's next meeting to occur in an alley with the disc being slipped out of a van as it rolls slowly away from him down the alley.

I could not get a confirmation of any upates let alone the DSP update from Onkyo tech support directly last week. My E-mail from earlier in the month was even less helpful.

If Onkyo dosen't get their act together and make these updates more public ...Next time - I know where to spend my $2k plus. It's back to Pioneer at least they have a Service Center here in Long Beach, CA.

You know, your 100% right. This is totally ridiculous in 2008 that for purchasers of electronic equipment that have firmware updates developed for, the manufacturer fails to notify the very customers who buy their faulty products and keep them in business and deliberately lie to them that the update even exists!

I've seen some of the Onkyo/Integra fanboy posts that indicate the extreme hardship O/I engineering must undergo to develope f/w updates and that's plain bull$h*t. O/I is no different than any other consumer electronics manufacturer of similar equipment in this respect and the others manage to develope f/w updates and more importantely, notiry their customers that it's out there for the taking. Ohh.....the horror...the horror.

The only f/w update for the 905/8.8 that O/I has acknowledged, only after being called by the customers who found that it existed through a forum such as AVS, is 1.05. Then, you had to stand on one leg and fart a certain song in the key of G in order for them to send it to you (the now famous "release" faxing caper).

If you were/are not privy to a forum such as this one that addresses f/w updates and had to rely on O/I posting information on their website at the least, you'd be SOL on f/w updates. I expected a little more from a company that I spent pretty good $$$$ for their Integra DTR-8.8!
sjv is offline  
post #638 of 5560 Old 04-22-2008, 07:14 AM
Member
 
atomtom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 75
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddgtr View Post

Snakes,
This has been going on for a while with Onkyo. I blame Onkyo's upper management, all the way up to their CEO. Among getting yearly bonuses in excess of $1 million, the job of a CEO should also include checking to see if there is negative publicity of the company. Given the internet search engines, that should be fairly easy - even for a CEO. If he is oblivious at what's going on around him, then he must be an... oh shucks, I won't say it this time...

Just think about what would happen if you and I acted like this in our daily jobs...

Onkyo apologists claim that a firmware update is difficult to implement. Let's see: Toshiba, Panasonic etc etc have new products out i.e. hi def dvd players of high complexity yet all you have to do is download a file and follow some directions. It's not a walk in the park, but let's face it, even people with almost no computer knowledge know someone who can help.

Another insanly weird thing Onkyo has done was to cut all ties with authorized repair centers. Well, it was more like the other way around: these centers do not want anything to do with Onkyo because of lack of assistance, lack of timely assistance from Onkyo engineers and taking forever to receive basic repair parts. So all Onkyo has it's a few scattered regional centers. We the shmucks must therefore accomodate their incompetence and ship our units half way across the US. Oh, and when they ship them back the receivers are either not fixed or have dents in them...

So given the above, it's clear that Onkyo does not care whether or not their reps can put together a sentence that makes sense...

And it is not just the companies you mention above who have relatively painless upgrade policies. From a pocket digital recorder which costs $200 to a large audio console which costs over $200,000 I have worked or still work with equipment where firmware upgrades are completely normal and fairly easy to do. More importantly (and that is my major issue with Onkyo) all those other companies are quite forthcoming about the bugs in their firmware and the upgrades which address those bugs. At this time it has become a given that a manufacturer would have on its site a web page devoted to firmware upgrades, FAQs, and even a user forum.

Sometimes I feel that Onkyo should focus just on engineering its products and outsource marketing and user support to another firm more apt to it. As it stands now Onkyo's user support is genuinely hurting the company image and discouraging customers from buying otherwise very good products.
atomtom is offline  
post #639 of 5560 Old 04-22-2008, 08:14 AM
Member
 
davidimdpt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 151
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi guys,
I am a little confused. I finally had the house to my self last night so I decided to complete the update process and do the DSP update. I had already updated my 905 to firmware 1.08 previously. Well after three hours, 6 cd's, using two different programs, 4 different DVD players, I now have this.

DSP 1. SR8051/08214A (updated)
DSP 2. SR8052/07518A (same)
DSP 3. SR8053/07518A (same)

I only see "writing DSP1". I never see Writing DSP 2 or DSP3.

I've read confilicting posts saying that if you upgraded the firmware to 1.08 prior to the DSP update only the first DSP is changed and others saying that I need to keep trying.

Is there any consensus or final word? I finally gave up and re ran Audessy and called it a night. Please help.

Thanks

Supporter of whatever looks and sounds good to me
davidimdpt is offline  
post #640 of 5560 Old 04-22-2008, 12:41 PM
Senior Member
 
manofsteele's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 278
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Onkyo needs to realize. If you're smart enough to connect the reciever and get audessey to work then you're probably smart enough to insert a cd, click return + blah blah blah and install a FW.
manofsteele is offline  
post #641 of 5560 Old 04-22-2008, 03:19 PM
Senior Member
 
EskimoPie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Sahuarita, AZ
Posts: 414
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by manofsteele View Post

Onkyo needs to realize. If you're smart enough to connect the reciever and get audessey to work then you're probably smart enough to insert a cd, click return + blah blah blah and install a FW.

LOL, I wouldn't be so sure... I'm an aerospace engineer and it still took me a couple of days (and a couple of posts) to figure out that I was pressing Enter instead of Return!
EskimoPie is offline  
post #642 of 5560 Old 04-22-2008, 07:07 PM
Member
 
vcor's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 100
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomtom View Post

Sometimes I feel that Onkyo should focus just on engineering its products and outsource marketing and user support to another firm more apt to it. As it stands now Onkyo's user support is genuinely hurting the company image and discouraging customers from buying otherwise very good products.

I was told by an Onkyo/Integra dealer that's exactly what Onkyo has done for the US. He explained that Onkyo USA Corporation is a separate company with an exclusive US distribution agreement with Onkyo Japan and Onkyo USA Corporation is not owned by Onkyo Japan. If true, it may help explain the lack of customer service on the US end. I have no confirmation of this, but if anyone else knows more on the business structure it would be interesting (although unlikely to help us a whole lot).

The USA website sort of contradicts this, indicating that "Onkyo USA" is a division of Onkyo Corporation.

http://www.onkyousa.com/about_onkyo.cfm

Anyway, sometimes the business relationships can shed interesting light on why a company acts the way it does.
vcor is offline  
post #643 of 5560 Old 04-22-2008, 09:03 PM
AVS Special Member
 
eldithomaso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: So. California
Posts: 1,954
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidimdpt View Post

Hi guys,
I am a little confused. I finally had the house to my self last night so I decided to complete the update process and do the DSP update. I had already updated my 905 to firmware 1.08 previously. Well after three hours, 6 cd's, using two different programs, 4 different DVD players, I now have this.

DSP 1. SR8051/08214A (updated)
DSP 2. SR8052/07518A (same)
DSP 3. SR8053/07518A (same)

I only see "writing DSP1". I never see Writing DSP 2 or DSP3.

I've read confilicting posts saying that if you upgraded the firmware to 1.08 prior to the DSP update only the first DSP is changed and others saying that I need to keep trying.

Is there any consensus or final word? I finally gave up and re ran Audessy and called it a night. Please help.

Thanks

Your DSP update did not take. Assuming you have a 905/8.8 (what do you have?) - I can't speak for the other units since I don't have them your update should produce the following new DSP/original DSP (if updated before the DSP update) configuration:

SR8051...07602A
SR8052...07518A
SR8053...07820B

Your third DSP update did not take. What CD player are you using and perhaps you have a bad burn on the disk. Have you tried to re-burn the CD WAV file?

Isn't it time someone promoted quality as value?
eldithomaso is offline  
post #644 of 5560 Old 04-22-2008, 09:18 PM
sjv
AVS Special Member
 
sjv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: New Orleans' North Shore-beautiful St. Tammany Parish LA
Posts: 1,045
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by vcor View Post

I was told by an Onkyo/Integra dealer that's exactly what Onkyo has done for the US. He explained that Onkyo USA Corporation is a separate company with an exclusive US distribution agreement with Onkyo Japan and Onkyo USA Corporation is not owned by Onkyo Japan. If true, it may help explain the lack of customer service on the US end. I have no confirmation of this, but if anyone else knows more on the business structure it would be interesting (although unlikely to help us a whole lot).

The USA website sort of contradicts this, indicating that "Onkyo USA" is a division of Onkyo Corporation.

http://www.onkyousa.com/about_onkyo.cfm

Anyway, sometimes the business relationships can shed interesting light on why a company acts the way it does.

This line is taken from the beginning of your link:

"Headquartered in Upper Saddle River, New Jersey, ONKYO USA., is a division of the ONKYO Corporation which was founded in 1946." That sort of indicates to me that Onkyo USA is as it says, a division of the mother land Onkyo Japan. Maybe I'm wrong but thats pretty straight forward to me.
sjv is offline  
post #645 of 5560 Old 04-23-2008, 08:26 AM
Advanced Member
 
jimjr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 549
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by eldithomaso View Post

Your DSP update did not take. Assuming you have a 905/8.8 (what do you have?) - I can't speak for the other units since I don't have them your update should produce the following new DSP/original DSP (if updated before the DSP update) configuration:

SR8051...07602A
SR8052...07518A
SR8053...07820B

Your third DSP update did not take. What CD player are you using and perhaps you have a bad burn on the disk. Have you tried to re-burn the CD WAV file?

Actually, yours didn't take either. His DSP1 firmware is more current. Your DSP3 is more current. You both need to take another stab at it. You should have the following if you did it right:

SR8051...08214A
SR8052...07518A
SR8053...07820B
jimjr is offline  
post #646 of 5560 Old 04-23-2008, 08:48 AM
Member
 
davidimdpt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 151
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjr View Post

Actually, yours didn't take either. His DSP1 firmware is more current. Your DSP3 is more current. You both need to take another stab at it. You should have the following if you did it right:

SR8051...08214A
SR8052...07518A
SR8053...07820B

I have the 905. I used the oppo 970, Panasonic BD30, an old Sony dvd/vcr combo player and an old sony upconverting dvd player. All using optical out. My CD play time is 1:04. I also burned 6 cd's using two different programs, Ashampoo and EZ cd creator. EZ CD creator was the one that actually worked and gave me at least a "writing DSP1" message.

ARRRRGH. I will try it again this weekend.

Supporter of whatever looks and sounds good to me
davidimdpt is offline  
post #647 of 5560 Old 04-23-2008, 09:37 AM
Advanced Member
 
jimjr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 549
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidimdpt View Post

I have the 905. I used the oppo 970, Panasonic BD30, an old Sony dvd/vcr combo player and an old sony upconverting dvd player. All using optical out. My CD play time is 1:04. I also burned 6 cd's using two different programs, Ashampoo and EZ cd creator. EZ CD creator was the one that actually worked and gave me at least a "writing DSP1" message.

ARRRRGH. I will try it again this weekend.

I used an Oppo 980. Make sure your output is set to "raw." Also, consider burning your CD with a Nero product. From what I've read, Nero seems to do a particularly good job, even the OEM versions, which is what I used.
jimjr is offline  
post #648 of 5560 Old 04-23-2008, 11:07 AM
Advanced Member
 
Bizill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: AZ
Posts: 570
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
but don't use nero EXPRESS. use the regular/full version of nero and be certain you 'finalize' the disc.
Bizill is offline  
post #649 of 5560 Old 04-23-2008, 11:15 AM
Advanced Member
 
jimjr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 549
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizill View Post

but don't use nero EXPRESS. use the regular/full version of nero and be certain you 'finalize' the disc.

I used Nero Express and it worked fine on the first burn. No issues.
jimjr is offline  
post #650 of 5560 Old 04-23-2008, 11:36 AM
Advanced Member
 
Jerm357's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Detroit
Posts: 787
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjr View Post

I used Nero Express and it worked fine on the first burn. No issues.

I used Nero Express also. No problems what so ever.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Jerm357 is offline  
post #651 of 5560 Old 04-23-2008, 02:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Smarty-pants's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 16,195
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 132
I just used Nero Express and my Samsung 1400 this afternoon to update my 805's DSPs.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
Smarty-pants is offline  
post #652 of 5560 Old 04-23-2008, 03:08 PM
sjv
AVS Special Member
 
sjv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: New Orleans' North Shore-beautiful St. Tammany Parish LA
Posts: 1,045
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidimdpt View Post

I have the 905. I used the oppo 970, Panasonic BD30, an old Sony dvd/vcr combo player and an old sony upconverting dvd player. All using optical out. My CD play time is 1:04. I also burned 6 cd's using two different programs, Ashampoo and EZ cd creator. EZ CD creator was the one that actually worked and gave me at least a "writing DSP1" message.

ARRRRGH. I will try it again this weekend.

Your play time is correct. It shouldn't be that hard to burn the CD (6??). You are using an audio CD-R (according to some posts, RW won't work), right? And burning the CD as an audio CD (not data), right? And also finalizing it (cannot be used again), right? I used for my CD burn the unsophisticated Sonic Record Now 6.5.0 that came free with my Dell 4 years ago.....perfect 1st shot. Then an OPPO 970 set to "raw" output with optical cable into Optical input #1 on your 905 (Integra 8.8 in my case) .....got all 3 on the 1st try. Try again, you'll get it.

jimjr's numbers that you should have when you get it right are correct in post 645 above.
sjv is offline  
post #653 of 5560 Old 04-23-2008, 05:15 PM
Advanced Member
 
frank1940's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Central Ohio
Posts: 673
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidimdpt View Post

I have the 905. I used the oppo 970, Panasonic BD30, an old Sony dvd/vcr combo player and an old sony upconverting dvd player. All using optical out. My CD play time is 1:04. I also burned 6 cd's using two different programs, Ashampoo and EZ cd creator. EZ CD creator was the one that actually worked and gave me at least a "writing DSP1" message.

ARRRRGH. I will try it again this weekend.

Try using a slow burn speed like 4X when you create your audio CD. Remember, your Onkyo is actually going to be reading this audio as DATA not audio. Any reduction in the read error rate will help ensure success the first time rather then requiring repeated retries. (I assume the the receiver does a CRC check on the data it receives and verifies that it matches the value in the data header BEFORE it writes to the DSP memory. This is how it prevents 'bricking' the receiver!) If your burning software will do data verification after the burn, turn that on and verify that what was written matches what is in the original file.
frank1940 is offline  
post #654 of 5560 Old 04-23-2008, 08:01 PM
Member
 
vanmar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Hong Kong SAR
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Why not use CD-RW to save the blank CD? It also can be re-used for the next new FW. Also, better to use very slow write speed, e.g. 4X, 2X, etc.. I burn the DSP firmware on a CD-RW at 4X for once. Save time and save our earth (RW disc can be reused)

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidimdpt View Post

Hi guys,
I am a little confused. I finally had the house to my self last night so I decided to complete the update process and do the DSP update. I had already updated my 905 to firmware 1.08 previously. Well after three hours, 6 cd's, using two different programs, 4 different DVD players, I now have this.

DSP 1. SR8051/08214A (updated)
DSP 2. SR8052/07518A (same)
DSP 3. SR8053/07518A (same)

I only see "writing DSP1". I never see Writing DSP 2 or DSP3.

I've read confilicting posts saying that if you upgraded the firmware to 1.08 prior to the DSP update only the first DSP is changed and others saying that I need to keep trying.

Is there any consensus or final word? I finally gave up and re ran Audessy and called it a night. Please help.

Thanks

vanmar is offline  
post #655 of 5560 Old 04-23-2008, 08:10 PM
Advanced Member
 
Jerm357's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Detroit
Posts: 787
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well I used a CD-RW too and it worked just fine. We need to stop spreading this bad info.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Jerm357 is offline  
post #656 of 5560 Old 04-23-2008, 08:21 PM
AVS Special Member
 
eldithomaso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: So. California
Posts: 1,954
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjr View Post

Actually, yours didn't take either. His DSP1 firmware is more current. Your DSP3 is more current. You both need to take another stab at it. You should have the following if you did it right:

SR8051...08214A
SR8052...07518A
SR8053...07820B

Wait my bad. I cut and past that from the link from Gurkey's post. I checked my Integra 8.8 again and my firmware reads:

08214A
07518A
07820B

Is that the correct load from the current DSP update? Looks like it is.

I did my update with a Denon 1920 and Toslink -default settings on the player. Burned with Nero Burning ROM

Isn't it time someone promoted quality as value?
eldithomaso is offline  
post #657 of 5560 Old 04-23-2008, 08:35 PM
Advanced Member
 
dbacksfan51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Hot as hell Arizona
Posts: 752
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So basically we are never going to get a software update from Integra/Onkyo that is considered "official"? My dealer told me that they would do the install as soon as Onkyo has one, but damm how long does it take? I have the software DL'd on my computer, but am concerned that I will some way mess up my Preamp.
dbacksfan51 is offline  
post #658 of 5560 Old 04-23-2008, 08:42 PM
Member
 
davidimdpt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 151
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjv View Post

Your play time is correct. It shouldn't be that hard to burn the CD (6??). You are using an audio CD-R (according to some posts, RW won't work), right? And burning the CD as an audio CD (not data), right? And also finalizing it (cannot be used again), right? I used for my CD burn the unsophisticated Sonic Record Now 6.5.0 that came free with my Dell 4 years ago.....perfect 1st shot. Then an OPPO 970 set to "raw" output with optical cable into Optical input #1 on your 905 (Integra 8.8 in my case) .....got all 3 on the 1st try. Try again, you'll get it.

jimjr's numbers that you should have when you get it right are correct in post 645 above.

I know, how hard could it be right? I'm actually the tech guy that everyone else asks for help. I had the oppo set to raw as well as all the other settings advised throughout the thread. I'll try again using nero and burning it at the slowest speed possible. Thanks for all the help guys.

Supporter of whatever looks and sounds good to me
davidimdpt is offline  
post #659 of 5560 Old 04-23-2008, 08:48 PM
Advanced Member
 
Lord Vader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 666
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I noticed I have an old Sony 200-disc CD player and there are no settings for raw--at least none that I can find. I wonder if the update will still work.
Lord Vader is offline  
post #660 of 5560 Old 04-23-2008, 09:16 PM
Member
 
Snakes&Arrows's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 121
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The more time goes by the more it looks like I'm going to be sending, and paying for, a 500 mile round trip for my 805. I don't even know what the 1.08 firmware does but mine came with 1.03 and I'm a little nervous aobut leaving it with that firmware. I can picture in my mind the UPS or Fed Ex guys dropping the 65 lb behemoth...
Why should someone who spent this kind of $$$ have to deal with something like this? Way to go Onkyo...
Snakes&Arrows is offline  
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off