JVi
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddgtr View Post

Lip sync is one (and a major issue for most of us) and the audio delay is another. Not to mention many reports of 805 displays going bad, just check that thread. These features are supposed to be working properly and they don't, therefore I would classify that as broken, wouldn't you??

Add this to the fact that Onkyo's reps have no idea what a DSP is, the company's stubborn and unimaginable unwillingness to work with its most loyal customers and we've got a totally broken, effed up thing going on.

Some poster said it very well and it's true: we here on AVS may not be many in numbers, but when I buy a CE product there are at least 10 people I know that will buy the same product based on my recommendation. Not that I'm some kind of know-it-all, but I can set up my own HT system and tweek it nicely. So yes, Onkyo WILL hurt if they keep this up, more than their pencil pushing, rat attorney and statistics experts tell them.

Just because corporate America has made common practice of what's going on here it doesn't mean we should roll over and eat it. I'm with you SmartyPants, lets set up a date and time and flood them with calls, letters, emails or all of the above. We have nothing to lose.

For whatever reason, the 705 and 805 models are the ones left out of the loop. The firmware updates for the 875, 905 and Intergra models cured all lip synch and lock on time issues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 5560 Old 05-01-2008, 07:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVi View Post

For whatever reason, the 705 and 805 models are the ones left out of the loop. The firmware updates for the 875, 905 and Intergra models cured all lip synch and lock on time issues.

It's killing me! I have to watch half my stuff in stereo direct mode to avoid annoying delay, and that limits me to 2 speakers, and no subwoofer.

Onkyo originally said the delay was normal and due to the extremely powerful DSPs doing the high-end processing. THat's like saying your Ferrari can't drive above 60mph because there are 12 cylinders that need to combust, then the crankshaft has to turn the drivetrain which in turn needs to be transferred to your tires. Cheap DVD players decode in time...HD players do it...heck, every other receiver on the planet does it.

..and then, a semi-confirmed fix via firmware. Hmmmm. They must have to remove the high-end DSPs to get the fix to work.

I Like Digital!
post #723 of 5560 Old 05-01-2008, 08:32 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddgtr View Post

Lip sync is one (and a major issue for most of us) and the audio delay is another. Not to mention many reports of 805 displays going bad, just check that thread. These features are supposed to be working properly and they don't, therefore I would classify that as broken, wouldn't you??

Add this to the fact that Onkyo's reps have no idea what a DSP is, the company's stubborn and unimaginable unwillingness to work with its most loyal customers and we've got a totally broken, effed up thing going on.

Some poster said it very well and it's true: we here on AVS may not be many in numbers, but when I buy a CE product there are at least 10 people I know that will buy the same product based on my recommendation. Not that I'm some kind of know-it-all, but I can set up my own HT system and tweek it nicely. So yes, Onkyo WILL hurt if they keep this up, more than their pencil pushing, rat attorney and statistics experts tell them.

Just because corporate America has made common practice of what's going on here it doesn't mean we should roll over and eat it. I'm with you SmartyPants, lets set up a date and time and flood them with calls, letters, emails or all of the above. We have nothing to lose.

To all reading the forum:

ddtr is on point. I have followed this forum since Jan 2. I made comparisons with other AVR manufacturers through this forum before purchasing my 805 on Jan 28th. I owned a Onkyo 676 for 7 years and enjoyed it very much. The 805 is an exceptional piece of equipment but we all made a large investment in Onkyo. We paid for this investment hoping to have many pleasurable years to come. I think we all should pick a day or week and contact major Home Theatre Magazines such as Sound & Vision, Home Theatre Mag, Electronic House, etc. and your local newspaper outlets where Onkyo advertises their products.

We should ask these parties to contact Onkyo representatives and have Onkyo explain their position on selling flawed equipment to investors such as ourselves. We need to know what is Onkyo plans to fix these flaws. We should not have to "back door" Onkyo to find fixes with members located in other regions of the world who are receiving the updates.

This should definitly be a collective effort!!!
post #724 of 5560 Old 05-02-2008, 12:43 AM

I'm in. But maybe we should wait until we get some word from joerod on any new developments...
post #725 of 5560 Old 05-02-2008, 06:21 AM

After running through the upgrade and seeing how easy it was it makes sense why Onkyo is not willing to just hand out the FW upgrade. Reading through this thread there are a lot of people that had trouble with the upgrade. Some just couldn't read or follow simple instructions. This upgrade was a joke of a task and required no tech skills whatsoever yet people still couldn't hit return instead of enter or press > instead of +. Sure most of us can do this but they have probably sent out FW in the past and then had their call centers flooded with calls from people that messed up the reciever or upgrade process. They probably believed it to not be worth it.
They might get a few calls a day from someone complaining about the lip synch but they'd rather have that than 1000 people calling about how to run the upgrade or helping them troubleshoot why it didn't work.

What freaking baffles me is that the directions say "USE AND OPTICAL CABLE" yet there are lots of posts from people asking if they can use USB, computer cables etc... What is so freaking hard about using an optical cable. It seems that people just cannot follow direction. I didn't have a dvd player with optical, but I asked a few people at work if they had one and one nice person lent me theirs for a few days. So this is no excuse for someone to use saying that they didn't have a dvd with optical.

It seems that for every 5 people that can follow and read instructions and get this to work that there's 1 person who'll inevitably mess it up by not reading and trying to do something else.
post #726 of 5560 Old 05-02-2008, 07:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by manofsteele View Post

After running through the upgrade and seeing how easy it was it makes sense why Onkyo is not willing to just hand out the FW upgrade. Reading through this thread there are a lot of people that had trouble with the upgrade. Some just couldn't read or follow simple instructions. This upgrade was a joke of a task and required no tech skills whatsoever yet people still couldn't hit return instead of enter or press > instead of +. Sure most of us can do this but they have probably sent out FW in the past and then had their call centers flooded with calls from people that messed up the reciever or upgrade process. They probably believed it to not be worth it.
They might get a few calls a day from someone complaining about the lip synch but they'd rather have that than 1000 people calling about how to run the upgrade or helping them troubleshoot why it didn't work.

What freaking baffles me is that the directions say "USE AND OPTICAL CABLE" yet there are lots of posts from people asking if they can use USB, computer cables etc... What is so freaking hard about using an optical cable. It seems that people just cannot follow direction. I didn't have a dvd player with optical, but I asked a few people at work if they had one and one nice person lent me theirs for a few days. So this is no excuse for someone to use saying that they didn't have a dvd with optical.

It seems that for every 5 people that can follow and read instructions and get this to work that there's 1 person who'll inevitably mess it up by not reading and trying to do something else.

This is a fairly unfair criticism. Most of these updates were made possible by some early risk takers who undertook the update process without particularly good guidance, from the instructions or elsewhere. They tried different models of DVD players, different USB adapters, different operating systems, different CD burning software, different transmission rates for the RS-232 cables and the DVD players, etc. Some took even greater risks by testing firmware on receivers that the firmware technically was not designed for. These people then posted their findings, including their mistakes, in the hopes of making the process easier for the rest of us. The process has largely been successful and we've all learned a lot, both from the successes and the failures.

If you were one of the early trailblazers who helped develop the collective wisdom that makes the procedures transparent now, then my hat's off to you. If, as I suspect, you are one of the beneficiaries, perhaps you should keep your mouth shut.
post #727 of 5560 Old 05-02-2008, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What freaking baffles me is that the directions say "USE AND OPTICAL CABLE" yet there are lots of posts from people asking if they can use USB, computer cables etc... What is so freaking hard about using an optical cable.

+1.
you talk about firmware updates, but its the dsp that requires the optical from a player.
post #728 of 5560 Old 05-02-2008, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjr View Post

This is a fairly unfair criticism. Most of these updates were made possible by some early risk takers who undertook the update process without particularly good guidance, from the instructions or elsewhere. They tried different models of DVD players, different USB adapters, different operating systems, different CD burning software, different transmission rates for the RS-232 cables and the DVD players, etc. Some took even greater risks by testing firmware on receivers that the firmware technically was not designed for. These people then posted their findings, including their mistakes, in the hopes of making the process easier for the rest of us. The process has largely been successful and we've all learned a lot, both from the successes and the failures.

If you were one of the early trailblazers who helped develop the collective wisdom that makes the procedures transparent now, then my hat's off to you. If, as I suspect, you are one of the beneficiaries, perhaps you should keep your mouth shut.

Nothing to do with trailblazers. I read the guide, ran through it and it worked. I did not have to use a special dvd player or a special cd burner or anything special. If you can't read instructions then that's your problem.
post #729 of 5560 Old 05-02-2008, 08:38 AM

You do realize that you can't update the main firmware with a CD player and an optical cable...
post #730 of 5560 Old 05-02-2008, 08:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Nothing to do with trailblazers. I read the guide, ran through it and it worked. I did not have to use a special dvd player or a special cd burner or anything special. If you can't read instructions then that's your problem.

Your presence here belies your story. Quite frankly, I think you are lying.
post #731 of 5560 Old 05-02-2008, 04:19 PM

We haven't heard from you in a while. Is there still a possibility of getting the 805 firmware or has Onkyo shut you down permanently?
post #732 of 5560 Old 05-02-2008, 05:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjr View Post

Well said!
post #733 of 5560 Old 05-02-2008, 06:10 PM

Quote:

your lucky due to your player sent out a 44khz signal to your amp alot of people do not have a dvd player to send that khz. now what i want to no that was not said in the GUIDE . also special means OLD

upgrade mate
post #734 of 5560 Old 05-03-2008, 04:47 PM

what fixes are in the 1.08 firmware update. I updated the DSP firmware to the latest however I recieved my 805 from J&R when they first came out and my main firmware version is 1.01 Aside from the 3 second delay when it changes listening modes/ sound formats I havn't had a single issue with the receiver
post #735 of 5560 Old 05-03-2008, 05:29 PM
sjv
AVS Special Member

Location: New Orleans' North Shore-beautiful St. Tammany Parish LA
Quote:
Originally Posted by OIFVET View Post

what fixes are in the 1.08 firmware update. I updated the DSP firmware to the latest however I recieved my 805 from J&R when they first came out and my main firmware version is 1.01 Aside from the 3 second delay when it changes listening modes/ sound formats I havn't had a single issue with the receiver

1.08 fixes the 3-4 second "lock-on" delay to nearly instant and lip synch issues (if you have any). Like joerod said over a month ago....you'll like it. On second thought, I'm not sure if 1.08 is available for the 805??
post #736 of 5560 Old 05-05-2008, 10:03 AM

waiting...
waiting...
waiting...
post #737 of 5560 Old 05-05-2008, 10:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjv View Post

1.08 fixes the 3-4 second "lock-on" delay to nearly instant and lip synch issues (if you have any). Like joerod said over a month ago....you'll like it. On second thought, I'm not sure if 1.08 is available for the 805??

1.08 is available on the latest released new 805s. Other than that it is not out there but 1.08 and 1.07 are available for the 905 and 875.

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #738 of 5560 Old 05-05-2008, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Has Integra officially released a DSP update for the 9.8 in regards to the DTS-HD bomb?

Santa Claus has the right idea...visit people only once a year...Victor Borge
post #739 of 5560 Old 05-05-2008, 10:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiomixer View Post

Has Integra officially released a DSP update for the 9.8 in regards to the DTS-HD bomb?

As of last week they hadn't. I contacted my local dealer in Kansas City and they contacted Tech Support...they've hadn't released it at that time due to the update erasing the settings.

I would do the DSP update myself, but for some reason I get errors messages when I try to burn the firmware (tried Nero and Roxio software...but I'm not computer savy either). So, I'm having to wait for the official release.

"Retired" AVS Moderator
post #740 of 5560 Old 05-05-2008, 11:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rboster View Post

As of last week they hadn't. I contacted my local dealer in Kansas City and they contacted Tech Support...they've hadn't released it at that time due to the update erasing the settings.

I would do the DSP update myself, but for some reason I get errors messages when I try to burn the firmware (tried Nero and Roxio software...but I'm not computer savy either). So, I'm having to wait for the official release.

If you are having trouble with the burn, stick with Nero and make sure you are creating an Audio CD, not data. Also, check the verify box so Nero double checks for a good burn. Nero seems to be pretty reliable. Give it another shot.
post #741 of 5560 Old 05-05-2008, 03:18 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
After seeing all the posts about not being able to update the main firmware version to V1.06, and the indifference from Onkyo customer service and the service centers, I posted the following to Onkyo customer support. I have learned so much in the last week from the SR-705 Owners thread, and have a lot more to digest. It's a shame Onkyo is not giving it's' customers a straight answer about the Main FW updates.

I am a member of avsforum.com, used the SR-705 owners thread to help in setting up my reciever. I found DSP's update and sucessfully downloaded to receiver. Am seeing a large number of posts on Firmware updates to V1.06 (Current V1.01) not being available ,and Onkyo customer support and Onkyo Service centers refusing to give any info about firmware versions. Seems there is a benefit to the operation of my SR-705 and I would like my receiver updated to the latest Main Firmware version. Thanks for your help.
post #742 of 5560 Old 05-05-2008, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 91
I have been passing out 108 for the 9.8/885/875 so if anyone need it let me know. It officially says 9.8 but I was told works for all 3. I do not have a 9.8 or 875 to test it out but can on my 885 PRO. If anyone feels up to it send me a PM...

Search or copy and paste-> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com <-to check out my latest Reviews.

Check out these new Lighted Cup Holders:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1402680301175
post #743 of 5560 Old 05-05-2008, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

If anyone feels up to it send me a PM...

Oh that's a good one joerod!!! Any word on 1.10 for the 905/8.8???
post #744 of 5560 Old 05-05-2008, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

I would expect them to "hit" this summer...

Search or copy and paste-> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com <-to check out my latest Reviews.

post #745 of 5560 Old 05-05-2008, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

And to be clear I cannot comment on the differences between 107 and 108. I don't own the 875 and 9.8 and literally just got the 885 PRO (which is why I am selling my 905 today)...

post #746 of 5560 Old 05-05-2008, 04:55 PM

Quote:

I have been passing out 108 for the 9.8/885/875 so if anyone need it let me know. It officially says 9.8 but I was told works for all 3. I do not have a 9.8 or 875 to test it out but can on my 885 PRO. If anyone feels up to it send me a PM...

so is there a new firmware update fro 875 then? and what differance is there to the 885 to the 905?
post #747 of 5560 Old 05-05-2008, 04:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Not really any difference. I went the separate route so I figured I may as well get a true pre/pro and sale my updated 905.

post #748 of 5560 Old 05-05-2008, 05:01 PM

Quote:

Not really any difference. I went the separate route so I figured I may as well get a true pre/pro and sale my updated 905.

?? true pre/pro
post #749 of 5560 Old 05-05-2008, 05:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

I am sorry, to be more clear I mean a unit that will just run my sound and do my video switching... I do not need the 905's amp section so there is no point in keeping it in my rack. Not to mention it weighs much more than the 885.

post #750 of 5560 Old 05-05-2008, 05:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiomixer View Post

The update has officially been released for the 9.8 to get rid of the HD bomb issue. Rather than do the upgrade myself, I had them send it to my dealer, and they are going to take care of it for me. But they sent me the waiver if I wanted to do it myself. Contact Jennifer Sosinski at Integra service. She knows what is going on with this update, and was very helpful.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page