post #391 of 412 Old 01-09-2010, 08:46 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman View Post

I find his theory about what goes to what channel a bit questionable as well.

if you do not have a seperate amp and use a receiver .. then the amplifier section is the weakest link and the best thing that you can do ... in most cases is get an external amp. All amps are better than any receiver in the power dept with VERY few exceptions!. I challenge you to prove me wrong
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #392 of 412 Old 01-10-2010, 02:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboRay View Post

I don't think it works 100% the way you think it does.

I expect you'll find that there is some audio other than laugh tracks and background music on the L/R and LS/RS channels, and you're going to lose that. I also expect you'll find that you still get laughter and background music from the center channel, so you'll still have to listen to it.

Have you actually tried disconnecting your other speakers to see exactly what does and doesn't come from the center speaker? You may want to do that before spending money on the Yamaha just because it has this feature. Otherwise, you may be in for a disappointment.

Yep I have used just the center channel for a while and I liked what I heard.
I agree that I cant be 100% sure as to what goes to what channel. But it is a reasonable assumption that the main conversation (for TV viewing) goes to the center channel Prologic, Dolby Digital etc. I cant say how the surround decoder figures out what goes where as that is beyond my technical expertise on this subject. May be the audio track has some kind of coding to figure out what goes where. Anyway...

I use the Yamaha RX-V663 for HT and I could reduce the L/R level by 10db which cuts much of the annoying background audio but I have to keep doing this everytime. A simple one button option like "mute" that can be configured as in 3900 would have been very useful.

Physically disconnecting the other channels using any type of external device is not a viable option for me. At least if the RadioShack unit had a remote I would have considered. If I have to use that device I might as well get up and remove the speaker wire of the L/R as I just insert them and dont use banana plugs :-)

I dont think I am planning on spending some $1800 on the Rx-V3900 just for this feature. It helps to know that there is a product with this feature. If more users felt the need for this individual channel mute I guess more manufacturers will include this in entry level AVRs. For now I will have to live with the unwanted audio. I already have one system for 2ch (Magnepan) and one for HT/TV(PSB Image T65, C60, could not pass up the major closeout sale going on now). So I cant get another one just for watching TV. I could get a very cheap AVR and I have a Boston HS225 center that I am not using. But there is no place to put these. Moreover I also listen to Comcast Musichoice a lot. So I would need the L/R speakers when I switch to the music channels. I dont like listening to music in Prologic mode. This is another reason why I cant physically disconnect the fronts.

The "mute" button is the simplest of all options.
post #393 of 412 Old 01-10-2010, 02:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey9hound View Post

if you do not have a seperate amp and use a receiver .. then the amplifier section is the weakest link and the best thing that you can do ... in most cases is get an external amp. All amps are better than any receiver in the power dept with VERY few exceptions!. I challenge you to prove me wrong

I guess Micheal is referring to the sound that is split into different channels like laughing, background music etc.

This is not an issue regarding power at all. I use an external amp and analog pre-amp for my 2.1 set up (Magnepan MG12, Sunfire True Sub Junior, Rotel RB-1080, NAD C162).

But for HT/TV I use the Yamaha 663 AVR. The PSB speakers are very efficient so they dont need a lot of power. Also I dont listen at reference levels. I rarely go beyond some 75db.
post #394 of 412 Old 01-10-2010, 02:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mupi View Post

It may not eliminate the other channels.

The idea is to use the surr. processor and mute the other
channels so that I can avoid the audio that I dont care about.
All I care about is the main conversation and none of the sound
effects for regular TV.

Surr. processors are smart enough to send that "laughing" and music
to the front or rear speakers. So eliminating them will give me just the
main conversation and I can follow it better.

I simply don't understand you, Ive tested it on denon's for you (on my denon avp). put on a dolby track (clearly 5.1) and pressed the 'mono dsp mode'. All denon's show (on their display) the channels they are using for output and when you go mono it just shows you 'SW and C' so sub and the center. There is no audio coming from any other channel period all is mapped into these 2 channels.

Infact when in mono mode i can't even trim the other channels.

is that not what you wanted ?

Daniel.

PS: not rerouting the sound will leave weird gaps in the sound i am sure since surrounds signals are almost never in 1 channel only.

for men to evolve we have to upgrade
post #395 of 412 Old 01-10-2010, 04:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Physically disconnecting the other channels using any type of external device is not a viable option for me. At least if the RadioShack unit had a remote I would have considered.

There are component video + analog audio switches that are remote controllable. That effectively gives you a gang of 5 switches that cycle together.

You could run the preamp-to-amp RCA cables for the channels you want to be able to turn off to "Input 1" on the switch, with the outputs going to the power amps. Cycling the switch to "Input 2" would disconnect the channels connected to "Input 1". Run the Center channel interconnect directly to the power amp.

I still think it would sound like crap, but if you've tried it and like it, I'm not going to argue with you.

CAUTION: You may want to put rubber or plastic caps over the Input 2 RCA connectors to make sure nothing ever gets accidentally inserted there.
post #396 of 412 Old 01-10-2010, 06:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I guess Micheal is referring to the sound that is split into different channels like laughing, background music etc.

This is not an issue regarding power at all. I use an external amp and analog pre-amp for my 2.1 set up (Magnepan MG12, Sunfire True Sub Junior, Rotel RB-1080, NAD C162).

But for HT/TV I use the Yamaha 663 AVR. The PSB speakers are very efficient so they dont need a lot of power. Also I dont listen at reference levels. I rarely go beyond some 75db.

I was actually responiding to Michaels bottom line that reads like this :
I see a lot of people thinking they need external amplifiers. Before spending money, ask yourself, do I actually lack power in my system? And make sure your amp is not the weakest link
post #397 of 412 Old 01-10-2010, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielo View Post

I simply don't understand you, Ive tested it on denon's for you (on my denon avp). put on a dolby track (clearly 5.1) and pressed the 'mono dsp mode'. All denon's show (on their display) the channels they are using for output and when you go mono it just shows you 'SW and C' so sub and the center. There is no audio coming from any other channel period all is mapped into these 2 channels.

Infact when in mono mode i can't even trim the other channels.

is that not what you wanted ?

Nope. That will send everything to the center channel.

All I care about is the main conversation which I doubt will go anywhere
else other than the center channel and get rid of the rest. I doubt if it will cause gaps in the main conversation in a sitcom or documentary like
Nat. Geo.

Like I said before I am using an AVR for HT not separate amps so all those decvices wont work for my case anyway.

Nothing compares to the "mute" button.

Regarding the power comment: I agree that unless the speakers need a lot of power like 4ohm 86db speakers, there is no need for separate amps. If I have very efficient speakers and a decent AVR and if I am not playing at high volume levels then I dont need an amp. I have the Rotel-1080 amp and the NAD C162 pre-amp. It makes a difference for low efficiency speakers like the Magnepan MG12's but in the case of T65 the amps dont make much difference as I am not pulling a lot of power. What makes a difference in the SQ IMO is a good pre-amp. I use the OPPO 980H as a CD player. I find the analog output of 980H sent via NAD C162 better than the digital output sent via AVR. I also had the Anthem AVM 20 V2.21. I sold it mainly because I prefered the sound of the analog output of the 980H via the NAD C162 than the digital output of 980H via the AVM 20.

Now I am trying the UMC-1 to see if it would be better than the NAD C162
If it is then I can get rid of one set of speakers and use just one set for both 2ch music and HT. Will see.
post #398 of 412 Old 01-10-2010, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Well it looks like people have started receiving the UMC-1
Many of you may have already seen the review at the emotiva
lounge. I am waiting for someone to post reviews here as I am not
planning on opening an account in other forums.

Any idea how heavy this is. I hope it is not like some 60 lbs. I guess there is
no reason for a pre-pro to be that heavy. I am hoping some 30 lbs or so
post #399 of 412 Old 01-10-2010, 05:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:

I doubt it is over 25 pounds - its the same size as the LMC-1 which I've owned.
As for the Emotiva Lounge there are a few reviews there - seems there are some problems cropping up but nothing serious.
You can read the threads on the lounge without signing up - just go to Emotiva and look for the forum link.

When all else fails - RTFM!

♫♫♫ Two Channel Rules! ♫♫♫

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
post #400 of 412 Old 01-10-2010, 05:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 423
Quote:

Just go to the Emotiva site to get the specs on the UMC-1. While you are there visit the forum and read the posts from UMC-1 owners. Really not that difficult.

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #401 of 412 Old 01-11-2010, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

Just go to the Emotiva site to get the specs on the UMC-1. While you are there visit the forum and read the posts from UMC-1 owners. Really not that difficult.

Bill

The emotiva site does not give the weight.
I guess it is not going to be that heavy.
Just that the picture of the UMC-1 posted at the
Emotiva lounge looked big.
post #402 of 412 Old 01-11-2010, 06:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The emotiva site does not give the weight.
I guess it is not going to be that heavy.
Just that the picture of the UMC-1 posted at the
Emotiva lounge looked big.

Its the exact same size as the LMC-1. Probably similar weight too. The LMC-1 also carried a 2 channel zone II amp making 25wpc.

The LCM-1 weighs 20.5lbs.

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
post #403 of 412 Old 01-12-2010, 10:14 PM

I don't know if this has already been posted (Hey, I'm a newb, gimmie a break)

I spoke with Emotiva this AM (1-12-2010 - Ordered a XPA-5). They say as of last week they are shipping the UMC-1 to people on the first signup list.
I had just signed up for mine a couple of days ago and they said I could expect to hear from them end of February or early March.
Just an FYI
post #404 of 412 Old 01-12-2010, 10:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMS428 View Post

I don't know if this has already been posted (Hey, I'm a newb, gimmie a break)

I spoke with Emotiva this AM (1-12-2010 - Ordered a XPA-5). They say as of last week they are shipping the UMC-1 to people on the first signup list.
I had just signed up for mine a couple of days ago and they said I could expect to hear from them end of February or early March.
Just an FYI

Hey - and it only took you 7 months to make your first post!
Welcome to the forums.
I'm not sure how familiar you are with Emotiva - normally they are a great company to deal with but they have expended a great deal of credibility with how they've handled getting the new UMC-1 to market. Its finally here but don't expect that late Feb early March date to hold much water if past history is any indication. For the better part of last year it was 'immanent' - they'd announce a general target - then no word at all when that generalized date had passed. They did that at least three times.
Asking for updates was like pulling a tooth. They were very reluctant to say anything.

I hope you get it when they say you can expect it. It sounds like a real whiz-bang product.

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
post #405 of 412 Old 01-12-2010, 10:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by grey9hound View Post

Your post is attacking an argument I never made Admittedly, my post was poorly written.

"But this one goes up to 11"
post #406 of 412 Old 01-15-2010, 03:20 PM

I was told that my UMC-1 will ship on Monday! Well, here's when I find out if the long, long wait was worth it.
post #407 of 412 Old 01-17-2010, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

The specs on the website says that UMC-1 has 11-band independent EQ

The picture in the review at Emotiva lounge shows 33 to 224Hz for the subwoofer channel and the comment says it is the same for all channels.

I was wondering if the range 33 to 224Hz is same for all channels. I was hoping to have different range for the fronts and center channels. I know it has room correction but my need is not a flat response. That is why I am using the Behringer DEQ2496

Anyone has any info regarding the EQ. I looked at the manual. There is really not much information in the manual.
post #408 of 412 Old 01-17-2010, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

I took a quick read of the manual. For something thats been in the works for nearly 2 years you'd think they would have a better manual.

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
post #409 of 412 Old 01-18-2010, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklehead90 View Post

I took a quick read of the manual. For something thats been in the works for nearly 2 years you'd think they would have a better manual.

I didnt want to be negative but yes there is really nothing in that manual.
Basically useless.
post #410 of 412 Old 01-19-2010, 05:36 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:

The picture in the review at Emotiva lounge shows 33 to 224Hz for the subwoofer channel and the comment says it is the same for all channels.

I am not at my UMC-1 but I have fiddled with the EQ and the turnover frequencies for the mains are different than those of the subwoofer, if you want I can post those frequencies tonight when I am home.

Magnepan 1.7's (LR)
Magnepan CC5/DWM (Center Channel)
Magnepan MC1's (Surrounds)
Rythmik F12 (Sub)
Emotiva UMC-1 (Processor)
Emotiva XPA-2 Gen2 Drives the 1.7's
Emotiva XPA-5 Drives the Center and Surrounds
Oppo BDP-103
post #411 of 412 Old 01-19-2010, 06:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by stustan View Post

I am not at my UMC-1 but I have fiddled with the EQ and the turnover frequencies for the mains are different than those of the subwoofer, if you want I can post those frequencies tonight when I am home.

That would be cool, thanks.

I take it is a basic 'graphic equalizer' rather thana Parametric Equalizer, with no ability to shift Frequency for each slider or change the Q?

Thanks.

Adam
post #412 of 412 Old 01-19-2010, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelEyes View Post

I take it is a basic 'graphic equalizer' rather thana Parametric Equalizer, with no ability to shift Frequency for each slider or change the Q?

Correct. Quite disppointing, IMO, considering the hype they were giving the EQ capabilities of the unit. But better than nothing, I suppose.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page