post #271 of 4213 Old 04-20-2008, 03:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank1940 View Post

What is the problem with using the Coaxial connection? It avoids all issues with the HDCP of the HDMI connection as well as all of the handshaking problems the HDMI spec. The combination of these two is what is giving you the problem. Determining actually which component is terminating the HDMI audio is impossible for the end user--- DVD player, AVR or the TV.

When you use the coax connection, there is no handshaking. Your display can be off (saving energy and increasing the life of it). Only downside is that you have to change the input on the AVR.

It is a shame that HDMI does not work the way we consumers would like it but I am afraid it will never do what we would like because of HDCP. The movie studios are the ones with the big clout on the HDMI spec panel.

You can't listen to hi-res audio sountracks through spdif... not enough bandwidth to accomodate the uncompressed audio. So to be able to listen to the hi-res audio, like with Blu-ray and HD-DVD, you'd need to use HDMI (or even possibly 5.1/7.1 analog conections).

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 4213 Old 04-20-2008, 03:58 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks Mike. I'll mull over doing this. Given my close proximity to a service center, if they can turn my unit around same day, I may be a chicken a go that route.

bwaaak-bwaak, cluck cluck

;-)

Dan

------------------------------------

Writing about music is like dancing about architecture.
post #273 of 4213 Old 04-20-2008, 04:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Is there any definitive info yet that the DSP upgrades do ANYTHING except for the popping noise with DTS?
post #274 of 4213 Old 04-20-2008, 09:53 PM

You guys were absolutely right, I was confusing Enter and Return... finally got my DSP to upgrade, now I'm rocking the latest firmware and DSP... Thanks guys!
post #275 of 4213 Old 04-21-2008, 02:21 AM

***UPDATE 4/23/08***
The problem with my 9.8 HDMI-2 Port was a BAD HDMI CABLE.
It is hard to beleive just moving my 9.8 slightly on the shelf to swap the OPT cables caused the HDMI cable (MonoPrice, 1.3a-24AWG-w/Net Jacket) for the DVD player on HDMI-2 to fail, but that is what happened!! The cable is only a couple months old.

First, I re-updated the DSP F/W with no improvement in the HDMI-2 port.
Then, I swapped player cables at the 9.8 end and HDMI-2 port came alive and HDMI-3 port died. It was then obvious I was dealing with a bad HDMI cable!!
Previous player swaps were at the player end leaving the cables on the same port.
All this for nothing!!
***update end***

***Start of Original Post***
First, I want to thank all those that have contributed to the effort. This is no small undertaking.

I spent way too much time today getting through and troubleshooting the DSP upgrade on my 9.8 and I still have some unresolved issues. After the upgrade, the 1st DSP version was upgraded to “08214A” and the 2nd & 3rd DSP’s versions remain unchanged.

The unresolved issue with my 9.8: HDMI-2 port no longer works!!

Has anyone else experience an input port failure after the DSP upgrade?

I assume there may be other issues since I could not get the S-Video-1 port to work either while I was attempting the debug the issue with the HDMI-2 port. By the way, HDMI-2 is the port my Sony CD/DVD player is on. Also, before I did the DSP upgrade, I stored the configuration settings to no avail, since as anticipated, when I tried to restore the settings (Setup-Return) the display returned “Restore Fail” message. So it is a long path to reconfigure the unit.

Actual upgrade details:
I read the instructions and numerous posts on the DSP upgrade specific to the 9.8.
I burned a CD-R with the exact DSP wave file (CD-R file name: “CD_SR805 123_08214A_07518A_07820B.wav, file size: 11,069 kB “).

I got the 9.8 to the “**S/PDIF Update**” prompt but my Sony DVP-NS90V (DVD) player would not read/play this file (no Data?) so I burned another CD-R and this time the CD-R worked with the sequence of “Writing 1st DSP”, “Writing 2nd DSP …” etc. with a final elapsed time of 1:04 on the player. As with others doing the DSP update my 9.8 did not display "Complete" or "Clear", then go to Standby mode either. It just displayed “**S/PDIF Update**” so I waited 10 minutes then power off. The ”Clear” message was displayed as the unit went into standby.

Some observations post upgrade:
1) I can no longer get my Sony DVP-NS90V player or any other player to work on HDMI-2 port.
2) I’ve owned my 9.8 for 6 months with a fairly complicated AV System and after the DSP upgrade, I made numerous configuration checks and reconfigurations attempts without being able to get any unit to link up on HDMI-2.
3) Yes, the Sony DVP-NS90V player works just fine on HDMI-3.
4) The second CD-R that I used for the DSP update just has Track01.cda – 1 kB - audio track on it (Windows Explorer)? Hummm.
5) Is this correct? They are using DAE as a data transfer file. Have you ever tested DAE and seen the bit error rate!! This is not good!!!!!!!
6) I just did several “Nero CD DAE” tests (read twice @ 16x) on the CD-R “track 01.CD_SR805 123_08214A_07518A_07820B.wav” file that I used for the DSP upgrade. There are 3 bursts of wave content (1st is about 4 sec. long @ 7.8 seconds, 2nd is 2 sec. long @ 38.9 seconds and the 3rd is 2 sec. long @ 1:00:3 min) with a total file length of 1:04:19. I assume these are the 3 DSP files. With the CD player in my computer @ 16x the CD-R had 203 errors in the DAE test mainly in the second wave burst. In the second DAE test there were 1062 errors mainly in the first wave burst. The third time there were 69 DAE errors in the first wave burst. The last test I did was at 4x speed and there were zero DAE errors. I would suggest that the CD-R be burned a 1-2x speed to minimize the DAE bit-rate errors.

I need to burn a different manufactures CD-R at the slowest speed and test the DAE again. My experience is the DAE bit-rate errors are mainly determined by the quality of the CD-R. I’ll also dust off my old Pioneer “CD only” Player and try the update again to recover the HDMI-2 port.

No wonder every one is having problems with the DSP upgrade.

I agree with those that think this is way to complicated for what it is. I have been in electronics for 40 years and configuring/using computers and equipment for all of that. IMHO this is a Basic e-prom burning solution in a high level communications world.

Any suggestions?

Thanks again!!
post #276 of 4213 Old 04-21-2008, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney_DaPurple1 View Post

DSP updates are finally mine! ...

Not only did these DSP update fixed the infamous DTS-MA Bitstream Bomb when playing Alien vs. Predator: Requiem @ the 12:38 mark, the switching to the various listening modes clicks went away!

Very astute observation!!
After the DSP update, when switching between Listening modes and Inputs the audible clicks no longer occur.

Now to get the HDMI-2 port to link up with anything after the DSP upgrade.

So why would the clicking stopped?
I always assumed the unit had some dry contact relays inside and that was where the clicking noise was coming from. I know in some equipment there is an audible output device so you know the equipment has received your command with no other real function. From a reality perspective, I assume the processor is full of FET switches with no dry contact relays except those in the powersupply and A/C power control circuits.
post #277 of 4213 Old 04-21-2008, 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by gurkey
1) TO STORE SETTINGS (must be done first, otherwise the recall will not have anything to recall):
Turn the unit on.
From the front panel- Push and hold "Setup", then Push "Enter".
The unit will display "Setup Store?", push "Enter" again and the unit will display "Setup Storing", then it will display "Complete" and thus the procedure is complete.

I've tried this (from the first posting in this thread) to store my settings in my 875. If I let go of the "Setup" button before I press "Enter" the second time (in response to the confirm question) the display goes back to the main display with no indication that anything was stored or not stored.

If I continue to hold "Setup" and then press "Enter" the second time, the display shows "Setup Storing", then soon briefly says something along the lines of "Setup Store Failure".

Any ideas on this?
post #278 of 4213 Old 04-21-2008, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

I updated my DSP and main firmware a while ago. HDMI 1, 2 and 3 inputs work the same as before in my case, they work fine now and before the update.
post #279 of 4213 Old 04-21-2008, 10:49 AM

I've seen several people talk about losing their settings. Having lost them once, myself, I've since created a spreadsheet to easily read through all my settings.

This was created for a TX-SR875, so I assume some of the settings would be different for different models, but maybe this will be useful to some other people as well.

I'm at the low end of expertise on fine-tuning the settings on this system; if you are, too, use caution before using my settings as a guide for yours. On the other hand, feel free to tell me if you see glaring mistakes I've made which may diminish my experience with the system.

Notes:
- The spreadsheet has a separate page for each of the major menu items.
- If you need to enter "---" or something like "-4.5dB" in Excel, be sure to precede the text with a tick/single-quote, or Excel will think you're trying to enter a formula and tell you your formula has errors.

Onkyo Receiver Setup.zip 19.7255859375k . file
post #280 of 4213 Old 04-21-2008, 11:48 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by boster View Post
I've seen several people talk about losing their settings. Having lost them once, myself, I've since created a spreadsheet to easily read through all my settings.

This was created for a TX-SR875, so I assume some of the settings would be different for different models, but maybe this will be useful to some other people as well.

I'm at the low end of expertise on fine-tuning the settings on this system; if you are, too, use caution before using my settings as a guide for yours. On the other hand, feel free to tell me if you see glaring mistakes I've made which may diminish my experience with the system.

Notes:
- If you need to enter "---" or something like "-4.5dB" in Excel, be sure to precede the text with a tick/single-quote, or Excel will think you're trying to enter a formula and tell you your formula has errors.
boster,

Here is the file in a Word 2003 format for those of you who don't have 2007 and don't want to import the compatibility pack.

Thank you,

Mike

Word 2003 onkyo setup.zip 10.689453125k . file

"A banker: the person who lends you his umbrella when the sun is shining and wants it back the minute it rains" - Mark Twain
post #281 of 4213 Old 04-21-2008, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EskimoPie View Post

You guys were absolutely right, I was confusing Enter and Return... finally got my DSP to upgrade, now I'm rocking the latest firmware and DSP... Thanks guys!

Same here. DUH!
post #282 of 4213 Old 04-21-2008, 01:06 PM

Does it matter what order the updates are done in: DSP vs Main Firmware ?

Currently have DTC 9.8 v1.04

Thanks
post #283 of 4213 Old 04-21-2008, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m6bigdog View Post

Very astute observation!!
After the DSP update, when switching between Listening modes and Inputs the audible clicks no longer occur.

Now to get the HDMI-2 port to link up with anything after the DSP upgrade.

So why would the clicking stopped?
I always assumed the unit had some dry contact relays inside and that was where the clicking noise was coming from. I know in some equipment there is an audible output device so you know the equipment has received your command with no other real function. From a reality perspective, I assume the processor is full of FET switches with no dry contact relays except those in the powersupply and A/C power control circuits.

Almost perfect. Watched Good Luck Chuck last night, the clicking is still present when I hit the fast forward or the next chapter button on the 7.1 LPCM track. However I am perfectly content with it not click during the initial load and preview period. Used to click at the beginning of all previews as well as during the first from main menu to main feature film switch.

-
Samsung BD-P1400 Questions?
The 1400 Technical Boomoo Reviews
7.1 Boomoos

Official Boomoo Reviewer
High Def Junkies
-
Be INTOLERANT! Some things are just too stupid to put up with.
post #284 of 4213 Old 04-21-2008, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Notes:

boster

Thanks for make the spreadsheet. I will use it for the next update.

Mike

Thanks for the conversion.

Brad
post #285 of 4213 Old 04-21-2008, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesm1 View Post

We'll know more after Joerod's dinner with his Onkyo contact tonight

Whatever happened to the dinner meeting Joerod was going to have 3 days ago with his Onkyo contact?

Any update Joerod?
post #286 of 4213 Old 04-21-2008, 03:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rieper View Post

Whatever happened to the dinner meeting Joerod was going to have 3 days ago with his Onkyo contact?

Any update Joerod?

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post13695660

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
post #287 of 4213 Old 04-21-2008, 04:20 PM

Quote:

Notes:

Why do you have both a HDMI connection and a component connection to your DVD Player? And also, why do you have HDMI Audio Out set to On?
post #288 of 4213 Old 04-21-2008, 05:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks.
post #289 of 4213 Old 04-21-2008, 06:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Thanks.

At some point in time, I shall call on you for a favor. You need not know what that favor could be. You should just be ready to proceed when I contact you. Upon the completion of said favor, then we shall be even.

(you're welcome )

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
post #290 of 4213 Old 04-21-2008, 09:02 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Any update Joerod?

Subtle. Gotta love New Yorkers!

Given that this is supposed to be a clandestine meeting with someone who is doing something that their employer (who is well aware of this forum) does not approve of by disseminating this firmware information, either Joerod is the world's worst spy and had dinner with a good looking woman or he is a master of disinformation and had a beer with an ugly guy.
post #291 of 4213 Old 04-21-2008, 10:33 PM

I have an Integra 6.8 with firmware 1.02, and I'm wondering if the DSP update mentioned in this thread will address the significant audio switching delay. It appears that there is no main firmware update available, but the delay is really getting on my nerves, and I'd love to find a solution for minimizing it. Thanks!
post #292 of 4213 Old 04-21-2008, 11:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m6bigdog View Post

First, I want to thank all those that have contributed to the effort. This is no small undertaking.

The unresolved issue with my 9.8: HDMI-2 port no longer works!!

Has anyone else experience an input port failure after the DSP upgrade?

Any suggestions?

Thanks again!!

Did you try a master reset. Pull the power cord and leave it off for 5 minutes. Then report back.

I used a Denon 1920 for my DSP update. Worked perfectly the first time.

Isn't it time someone promoted quality as value?
post #293 of 4213 Old 04-22-2008, 05:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Quote:

Whatever happened to the dinner meeting Joerod was going to have 3 days ago with his Onkyo contact? Any update Joerod?

"The silence is mainly because I had to work hard today. We had a nice time. I will say that there is already another firmware in the mix (or fix) and should hit sometime soon. It will be 1.10 and 1.09 (905 & 875). I find it odd that they still act like the 107 & 108 do not exist over here. Maybe they are playing leap frog with the firmware updates? I was told the 805, 705 and 605 are there but they have not figured out how they want to distribute them. I volunteered of course and am waiting for her to get back to see if she can send them to me. She did not have them on her. That would have been awkward having her slip me some discs in the middle of dinner. She did say to say thanks to all of those that chipped in. She did not and does not ever expect anything. I am expecting some info this week from her about the other units and their latest firmwares... The quest continues... (and yes she did look HOT Friday night)... "

Here is what Joerod said in another thread.

Joel
post #294 of 4213 Old 04-22-2008, 01:12 PM

I have an early 875 and have fw 1.02. I originally hooked up a 5.1 speaker setup minus the subwoofer and never had any speaker pop issues. A few months ago I purchased a sub and every time I change sources, listening modes, volumes, channels etc., the sub emits a loud boom. It is very annoying and I'm not sure if this is the popping issue that was discussed so long ago. Anyway, I was a little worried about updating the firmware myself, but feel I have a good grasp on it now. Has anyone else had the sub boom and have it fixed by updating the firmware? IF I'm understanding this right, I should update to 1.04, then 1.07, then the dsp or can I do the dsp at my current firmware? Thank you in advance.
post #295 of 4213 Old 04-22-2008, 07:51 PM
Advanced Member

tks, gurkey. thou my JP NA905 is updated to v1.08 by dealer friends.

yuppi [HK guy] post in HK forum, says v1.1 is coming soon. so what's v1.1 about? will it solve HDCP handshake bug? now I still need to use HDCP killer to be able to watch on Tosh 62DLP.
can I DIY upgrade at home w/o such special kit? a dedicated tiny PCB with FPC into slim slot [left of component jacks] of 905. don't want to bring heavy monster to dealer friends again if possible.
http://photo.pchome.com.tw/lienly/047*34

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurkey View Post

I posted this some time ago on the Onkyo TX-NR905 thread
Look HERE

Because the thread grew so large and the post was getting hard to find in the depth of hundreds (thousands) of posts, people asked me to put in a separate thread.

OK, here it is...

>>
I found these late "easter eggs"

DSP Update Onkyo 605

DSP Update Onkyo & Integra 705 / 805 / 875 / 905 / 6.8 / 7.8 / 8.8 / 9.8 / 885

------

Main Update Onkyo & Integra 905 / 8.8 ONLY (1.08)

Main Update Onkyo & Integra 875 / 9.8 / 885 ONLY (1.07)

Supposed to fix DTS HD-MA "bomb" / digital garbage issue (DSP).
Supposed to improve / fix audio switching delay and lipsync issues (Main).
See enclosed attachments (PDF) below for installation instructions (same as in archives).

Previous "public" releases from joerods distribution:
Main Update Onkyo & Integra 905 / 8.8 ONLY (1.05)
Main Update Onkyo & Integra 875 / 9.8 / 885 ONLY (1.05)
Main Update Onkyo & Integra 875 / 9.8 / 885 ONLY (1.04)
Please ask joerod, if there are any questions for those.

Download Links:
The download pages feature a premium option, You have to pay for, but this is just an option and not needed for the downloads.
If You don't have a premium account already, just choose the free download, which has some (minor) limitations:
- Do NOT use download managers or accelerators, as these won't work on free downloads, just plain IE, Opera, Firefox etc.
- If You download more than once per day (free acount) from the same IP, then a time "penalty" (appr. 1 hour delay) waiting period will be enforced.
- Please read the instructions for the free download at the site carefully. They seem to have changed the way You have to enter those spam prevention letters. Beware, there a normally only four letters to enter !
Note: I do NOT profit in any way from these downloads.

Note: These are "official" release version files.
These files are been employed by Onkyo service points and handed out elsewhere by Onkyo to customers (free of charge).
They are identical to those versions preinstalled on factory fresh units (look HERE and HERE).
Version numbers are model specific, thus a 1.07 firmware for the 875/9.8/885 is as current as 1.08 for the 905/8.8.

This update will upgrade "Main" and "DSP1" (and DSP2 / DSP3, if not current already).

905 Version IDs after 1.05:
Main 9....1.05 / 07927A
SR8051...07602A
SR8052...07518A
SR8053...07820B
HDMI......1.01 / 07706A
Video......07607E0924
Net........1.01 070731Z
Net usr 07031 / 095118
Net rfs 07031 / 095118
Net krn 07023 / 145423
Net ipl 07023 / 123459

905 Version IDs after 1.08:
Main 9....1.08 / 08223A
SR8051...08214A
SR8052...07518A
SR8053...07820B
HDMI......1.01 / 07706A
Video......07607E0924
Net........1.01 070731Z
Net usr 07031 / 095118
Net rfs 07031 / 095118
Net krn 07023 / 145423
Net ipl 07023 / 123459

Some cautious notes (and legal stuff):

Do NOT contact me, if those links don't work (anymore).
I don't take responsibility for them or their contents, I am just a scout

As always: Read the instructions FIRST.

Update Path: The recommended upgrade path for the "Main" firmware should be:
905/8.8: if below 1.05 goto 1.05 first, then 1.08.
875/9.8/885: if below 1.04 goto 1.04 first, then 1.07.
Note: There is evidence, that some older 875 units with firmware <= 1.01 can't be updated this way. So BEWARE !
The prerequisit is, that the displayed loader version "Main Update" must be at least Ver.1.01/07615L
If not, I don't know...
Onkyo instructions state, that the upgrade / update needs either 1.05 or 1.04 (model specific) as a starting point.
Note: Several users have indicated, that a direct update without intermediate steps from i.e. 1.02 to 1.08 did work as long as the loader version was OK.

If in doubt, check with Your nearest Onkyo / Integra service point.

Check Your existing firmware version:
=> Turn on Your unit, push & hold "Display", press "Standby", release buttons
=> To see additional firmware infos (DSPs etc) press button underneath "Tone" repeatedly ( don't wait to long)
Do NOT install if Your current firmware to start with for 905 / 8.8 is below 1.05 or 875 / 9.8 / 885 is below 1.04, others (805/705) I don't know !!!
If You got an earlier version to start with, there might be additional steps to be taken (DSP:hardware modification + HDMI+NET:additional firmware) !
If this is the case, and You need them, contact Your nearest Onkyo / Integra service point for the complete update procedure.
I told You so...

It is suggested, that those updates are universal for the Western hemisphere.
I can't verify this ... anyway, version IDs are identical.
If in doubt, check with Your nearest Onkyo service point.
Note: Just to make sure, "joerod" and numerous others have installed and tested them and they worked (work) just fine.
Place a PM to joerod if You want this update sent to You by e-mail instead of downloading it Yourself.

Installation procedures:
The update consists of
...a) DSP Firmware Update
...b) Main Firmware Update

There are two update paths for these updates:

- DSP firmware update: The firmware resides inside a .WAV file (!), which needs to be burned onto an audio CD and played back through a CD/DVD-player connected by an optical link (TOSLINK) to Opt1.
There must be a one-to-one copy of the file and it must be transfered unmodified.
Most older CD/DVD player will work just fine. Read the corresponding threads.

- Main firmware update: The update routine uses a RS232 connection to the rear of the unit.
The RS232 cable must be of type straight through (no crossover) with a male and female connector at the end.
You need a PC with a COM1 port (default) or a USB => RS232 converter for this, as described elsewhere.
The update procedure is been initiated through a supplied setup software, which handles everything.

Integra:
The update instructions differ somewhat for the Integras (excerpt)
II) Procedure for Upgrading Main FW on the unit:
Connect the RS232 port of your PC to the receiver (unplugged) RS232 port by using a RS232 straight cable. Keep unit unplugged.
Press Tuning up button and in this condition you should plug the receiver in the AC outlet. You will see on the display Main Update mode.
After this follow these steps.
a) Open App_Updater_XXX folder and Double click on update.exe. You will see following GUI.
b) Check the COM port. It should be same as the RS232 port of your PC connected to your receiver (usually COM1).
c) Click on Main Update button

Beware: Anyone with an "Audyssey Pro" installation: The original update routine by Onkyo/Integra of the "DSP" firmware is at fault, not the update firmware itself, deleting all Your (costly) "Audyssey Pro" settings.
Be prepared therefore, to call in the Audyssey installer again afterwards !
I told You so...
This holds true for the "normal" Audyssey parameters too.
Your personal settings will be erradicated running the update routine of the "DSP".
... and You will not have the opportunity to save anything.
A hardware reset is recommended strongly in any case to get the new firmware properly initialized.
Audyssey should also be rerun after the update, because some things might have changed.
Note: Audyssey has stated in the meantime, that nothing has changed in this firmware release with respect to the Audyssey implementation (but one never knows...Onkyo might have done something)

Hardware Reset:
The AV receiver contains a microcomputer for signal processing
and control functions. In very rare situations,
severe interference, noise from an external source, or
static electricity may cause it to lockup. In the unlikely
event that this happens, unplug the power cord from the
wall outlet, wait at least 5 seconds, and then plug it back
in again.

Initialisation ("Clear"):
To reset the AV receiver to its factory defaults,
turn it on and, while holding down the [VCR/DVR]
button, press the [Standby/On] button. Clear will
appear on the display and the AV receiver will
enter Standby mode.

Onkyo / Integra has indicated, that the following method saves settings "permanently" (not on the "DSP" update).
Note: It has been reported, that saving Your settings, will not survive the DSP firmware update procedure !
Be prepared to redo everything. So write down Your setting before updating the unit !

1) TO STORE SETTINGS (must be done first, otherwise the recall will not have anything to recall):
Turn the unit on.
From the front panel- Push and hold "Setup", then Push "Enter".
The unit will display "Setup Store?", push "Enter" again and the unit will display "Setup Storing", then it will display "Complete" and thus the procedure is complete.

2) TO RECALL SETTINGS:
Turn the unit on.
From the front panel- Push and hold "Setup", then Push "Return".
The unit will display "Setup Recall?", push "Return" again and the unit will display "Setup Recalling", then it will display "Complete" and thus the procedure is complete.

Remember: If You are unsure, what all this means or what You are doing ... Don't do it !
Get professional advice, before You brick (damage) Your unit.
But ... I haven't heard of any problems looking through hundreds of posts on different threads (up to now).
The update routines are reasonable "fault tolerant".
You may revert to an older firmware anytime, if needed, in any case.

No guarantees whatsoever !
I do not suggest or advice anyone, to install or use it.
I am not connected with Onkyo in any way.
Don't hold me (or Onkyo/Integra or anyone else) responsible for anything You are doing.
You are on Your own, as always ...
Take care... and have fun.
<<

Bump this one up, if You use the downloads, so others may find it without searching

PS.: Added a document from the 905 manual explaining the "normal" picture controls within the Reon setup menu.
Note: The more parameters You activate and crank them up, the less fine detail and picture quality You will get.

post #296 of 4213 Old 04-22-2008, 10:44 PM

I have an Okyo 885 and want to update the firmware. However, after reviewing this forum, I am unable to determine where to download the update to a cd. Can someone post the link to the firmware update and the instructions that mentioned in the numerous posts. Thanks in advance

Jack
post #297 of 4213 Old 04-22-2008, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack T View Post

I have an Okyo 885 and want to update the firmware. However, after reviewing this forum, I am unable to determine where to download the update to a cd. Can someone post the link to the firmware update and the instructions that mentioned in the numerous posts. Thanks in advance

Jack

No offense intended, but how, "after reviewing this forum," could you miss the big red bold links in post #1? Gurkey has gone out of his way to make this information easy to find and use.
post #298 of 4213 Old 04-23-2008, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EskimoPie View Post

Why do you have both a HDMI connection and a component connection to your DVD Player? And also, why do you have HDMI Audio Out set to On?

EskimoPie, I'm glad you asked, largely because the component input to DVD is a mistake. Doesn't seem to be causing a problem, though.

Regarding the HDMI Audio Out, I pipe the receiver's output through HDMI to a splitter that sends whatever I'm watching on the big screen to two satellite TV's. This way, those TV's get the audio along with the video.
post #299 of 4213 Old 04-23-2008, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradandbree View Post

No offense intended, but how, "after reviewing this forum," could you miss the big red bold links in post #1? Gurkey has gone out of his way to make this information easy to find and use.

I'll defend Jack T a bit, because I had similar confusion. At least on my browser (Firefox), those links don't appear as links normally do. No underline, for instance--unless I put my mouse over them.

I eventually figured it out, but I can empathize with thinking those are headings and not links.
post #300 of 4213 Old 04-23-2008, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldithomaso View Post

Did you try a master reset. Pull the power cord and leave it off for 5 minutes. Then report back.

I used a Denon 1920 for my DSP update. Worked perfectly the first time.

The HDMI-2 port problem was a bad HDMI cable connected to that port. It was a spontaneous HDMI cable failure since I had not done anything with the 9.8 or the cable other than turn it a little on the shelf to plug in the OPT-1 cable, for the DSP upgrade.

Thanks for the Master Reset suggestion.
I had already tried it and of course with a bad HDMI-2 input cable it had no effect.

I've had to use the Master Reset to recover the HDMI Main output after a power dip. This has happened several times and only the master reset will recover the HDMI Main video out on my 9.8 to the Panny monitor. No video-out is no fun!! It took me more than an hour the first time this happened; master reset solution. I attempted to recover the main video-out from the 9.8 front panel to no avail. When thing don't seem to be working right -MASTER RESET!!
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Sr605 Receiver , Onkyo Tx Sr805 7 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver Silver , Onkyo Tx Nr905s
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page