The Onkyo/Integra direct firmware updates - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 4225 Old 04-10-2008, 08:13 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
vinodk:

1) It can be but I have no idea what kind of cable you got with your VP50 so I couldn't say for sure. Some cables might switch some pins around for their use (like Null Modem cables) so I'd recommend on not using that cable unless your absolutely sure it is a straight through.

2) As JVi said it's the enter button on the AVR

3) To check if you have com ports, start up device manager in either XP or Vista. To get to it open "Start"->"Control Panel" then double click on the Device manager icon. When that interface pops up, look under "Com + LPT ports" section if it exists. When you open that section you should see an entry/entries for COM#. Unfortunately that won't tell you what com port is assigned to what serial port. You'll just have to plug in the cable you get and select one and if it doesn't work, select the other COM#.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 4225 Old 04-10-2008, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Thanks Luffy. The cable that came with VP50 seems like its a DB9 1:1 cable. Not sure if it is the same as straight through cable.

Vinod
post #93 of 4225 Old 04-10-2008, 08:34 AM

Since there were no instructions on how to build the disc for the DSP upgrade other than use some buring app to do it, here is how I did it with free software:
  1. Download imgburn from the website it is free.
  2. Install it and run it. Make sure you've unzipped the DSP firmware files you need.
  3. In the imgburn menu select "Tools"->"Create CD cue file..."
  4. When that interface pops up drag the wav file you extracted for the dsp upgrade into that interface.
  5. You don't need to set any other options here. Just press OK and it'll prompt you to where to save the .cue file. If you just press the save button it'll save it to the same place the wav file is located.
  6. Once you have the cue file click the "Write image file to disc" button. Or you can select "Mode"->"Write" from the menu.
  7. Now in this interface you can browse for the .cue file you made by pressing the browse button (folder icon where it says source) or you can just drag and drop the .cue file you made to the same area to load it.
  8. Now just put in a disc and press the write button.
post #94 of 4225 Old 04-10-2008, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luffy View Post

Since there were no instructions on how to build the disc for the DSP upgrade other than use some buring app to do it, here is how I did it with free software:
  2. Install it and run it. Make sure you've unzipped the DSP firmware files you need.
  4. When that interface pops up drag the wav file you extracted for the dsp upgrade into that interface.
  5. You don't need to set any other options here. Just press OK and it'll prompt you to where to save the .cue file. If you just press the save button it'll save it to the same place the wav file is located.
  6. Once you have the cue file click the "Write image file to disc" button. Or you can select "Mode"->"Write" from the menu.
  7. Now in this interface you can browse for the .cue file you made by pressing the browse button (folder icon where it says source) or you can just drag and drop the .cue file you made to the same area to load it.

Thanks for helping others to get it done
post #95 of 4225 Old 04-10-2008, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Added instructions for the Integra "Main" firmware update, because the procedure differ somewhat from the Onkyos.
post #96 of 4225 Old 04-10-2008, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Added a line about getting further firmware infos.
post #97 of 4225 Old 04-10-2008, 03:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Are you saying the Integra 9.8 main upgrade protocol is different from the Onkyo Pro 885P protocol?

joel
post #98 of 4225 Old 04-10-2008, 03:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmschnur View Post

Are you saying the Integra 9.8 main upgrade protocol is different from the Onkyo Pro 885P protocol?

joel

Because I don't have either one, this has been annotated by users of those units.
post #99 of 4225 Old 04-10-2008, 05:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luffy View Post

I would like to thank you for this info is worked great.

Gurkey

I want to thank you for all the time you have put in on this thread. I updated my 9.8 with out any problems.

thanks guys

Brad
post #100 of 4225 Old 04-10-2008, 08:29 PM

Please help!!!

I have the sr-805, and BIG problem with the crack/pop.

I read at least 1,000 pages all over the forum, and decided that firmware update is the only way to get it solved.

However, after trying 2 different downloads, 3 different DVD players (all through Opt 1 of course), and 3 different CD-Burner with all suggested ways (imgburn, iTune, Nero, Roxi, etc), still got no luck.

I can see the "S/PDIF updating..." screen on the receiver, but no matter which disk I play or on which DVD player, I just couldn't get to the next step of "writing....".

Any suggestions? Really appreciate it.

(PS: tried to contact Onkyo, but they never get back to me).
post #101 of 4225 Old 04-10-2008, 08:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked: 185
What do you mean by "next step"? A lot of people are reporting that they didn't get the update because it didn't update ALL 3 DSPs, but if all 3 do not need updated, then the fw will only update the 1 0r 2 dsps that NEED updating. After the cd does it's "thing" wait several minutes and the power down manually. When you turn it back on to reset, then check to make sure that you have the proper numbers.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #102 of 4225 Old 04-10-2008, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaguarcondor View Post

Please help!!!

I have the sr-805, and BIG problem with the crack/pop.

I read at least 1,000 pages all over the forum, and decided that firmware update is the only way to get it solved.

However, after trying 2 different downloads, 3 different DVD players (all through Opt 1 of course), and 3 different CD-Burner with all suggested ways (imgburn, iTune, Nero, Roxi, etc), still got no luck.

I can see the "S/PDIF updating..." screen on the receiver, but no matter which disk I play or on which DVD player, I just couldn't get to the next step of "writing....".

Any suggestions? Really appreciate it.

(PS: tried to contact Onkyo, but they never get back to me).

I initially tried to use my Xbox 360 to do the update (tried two different Nero burns). That didn't work. However I was able to use my PS3, using Optical output in bitstream mode and that did it. I'd double check what kind of output those DVD players are trying to do.

I compared the DSP versions to the list and even though my second DSP version was up-to-date according to the chart, it still showed it getting written.
post #103 of 4225 Old 04-10-2008, 08:51 PM

Liked: 14
I followed all of the instructions for the firmware upgrade on my 875 to 1.07. I went to Fry's today and purchased a "Cables Unlimited" USB to Dual DB9 Serial Cable (it has two RS232 attached to a single USB input). Unfortunately, when I was ready to do the upgrade, I received an error message about not having any port assigned. I went to the device manager but was unable to locate any information about Port assignment. Not only that, but the laptop wouldn't install any drivers for the USB and refused to recognize it as a USB connection. For those that have used a USB to RS232(serial port), whose product have you used? Did you use a laptop to perform the update? (My laptop is an HP Pavillion running Windows XP, SP2). Any suggestions on how to get this done? I am very frustrated!
post #104 of 4225 Old 04-10-2008, 09:01 PM

"Next Step" means it shows on the screen "Writing DSP 1, 2, ..." etc.

For my case, it's just thing happened, the screen stays at "S/PDIF update...." forever, I checked my firmware version, they are all out dated, but nothing was updated.

After manually shut down and restart the receiver, the firmware versions are still the old ones. So I am sure that the receiver didn't read the data from the DVD player, even though when I tried it without entering the update mode, I can hear the noise played from the DVDs.

Any advices? Did I burn the disk right? or simple the 3 DVD players just don't work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post

What do you mean by "next step"? A lot of people are reporting that they didn't get the update because it didn't update ALL 3 DSPs, but if all 3 do not need updated, then the fw will only update the 1 0r 2 dsps that NEED updating. After the cd does it's "thing" wait several minutes and the power down manually. When you turn it back on to reset, then check to make sure that you have the proper numbers.

post #105 of 4225 Old 04-10-2008, 09:03 PM

Not sure how to switch to Bitstream on the DVDs, I also tried to use my PC to bitstream it through Opt 1, but still doesn't work.

Do I really need to buy an old-school CD player to make it work?
(Don't have PS3 with me, too bad)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackforge View Post

I initially tried to use my Xbox 360 to do the update (tried two different Nero burns). That didn't work. However I was able to use my PS3, using Optical output in bitstream mode and that did it. I'd double check what kind of output those DVD players are trying to do.

I compared the DSP versions to the list and even though my second DSP version was up-to-date according to the chart, it still showed it getting written.

post #106 of 4225 Old 04-10-2008, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaguarcondor View Post

Not sure how to switch to Bitstream on the DVDs, I also tried to use my PC to bitstream it through Opt 1, but still doesn't work.

Do I really need to buy an old-school CD player to make it work?
(Don't have PS3 with me, too bad)

You should be able to enter the menus on the DVD players and set it through the audio options or something similar.
post #107 of 4225 Old 04-10-2008, 10:33 PM

it works like a charm!

thanks Blackforge!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackforge View Post

You should be able to enter the menus on the DVD players and set it through the audio options or something similar.

post #108 of 4225 Old 04-10-2008, 11:40 PM
Advanced Member

The official Onkyo white paper PDF for service centers to update the DTS bomb issue posted on the Onkyo 705 thread states that you should NOT use iTunes to burn the DSP update disc

See the PDF instructions attached to this post:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4#post13610684

and get the files officially from here:
http://63.148.251.142/download/firmw...re_replace.cfm
(dont put the last letter from your S/N in there)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mraub View Post

A lesson from the school of hard knocks: just because your CD/DVD player recognizes the DSP update as a proper CD disc doesn't mean you've burned a disc that will do the update. I burned a DSP update CD on a PC with some version of Nero. I tried to do the update with 4 separate CD/DVD players and none would update the DSP's. Out of sheer frustration, I decided to go back to step one. I downloaded the file again and this time burned the CD in iTunes on an iMac. Voila, worked the first time. You have dig fairly deep in the iTunes preferences window to make sure you burn an audio CD. I also burned at the slowest burn speed.

Live and learn.

"We each pay a fabulous price, for our visions of paradise. But a spirit with a vision, is a dream with a mission" - Rush
post #109 of 4225 Old 04-10-2008, 11:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

That's not correct info. There are some people (myself included) whom only saw DSP1 and 2 updated, but not DSP3. We waited the 10 minutes, turned off the unit, and checked to find that in fact only DSP1 and 2 were updated, and that DSP3 remained the old version. This is a player issue. Even though it appears to work something prevents the whole update from happening.

After switching to a different player (PS3 in my case) and trying again the message DSP3.... finally did appear, and after rebooting the 3rd DSP reported the correct NEW version.

If you had the same problem, and assumed it was because DSP3 didn't need to be updated then you most likely need to find another player and try again. If DSP3 isn't reporting the version information from the PDF then it wasn't updated, and it should have been.

I Like Digital!
post #110 of 4225 Old 04-11-2008, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinglerxt View Post

Oh, that's great that you have found the official Onkyo download site, but it doesn't accept registration outside USA & Canada.
post #111 of 4225 Old 04-11-2008, 12:10 AM
Advanced Member

I just got an email from Onkyo finally confirming all this and giving us the official USA release info for the firmware/DSP update
Read here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1#post13613071

Quote:

The official Onkyo white paper PDF for service centers to update the DTS bomb issue posted on the Onkyo 705 thread states that you should NOT use iTunes to burn the DSP update disc

See the PDF instructions attached to this post:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4#post13610684

"We each pay a fabulous price, for our visions of paradise. But a spirit with a vision, is a dream with a mission" - Rush
post #112 of 4225 Old 04-11-2008, 12:12 AM

Thanks for all the information everyone, appreciate it. Will be doing mine when I get the chance
post #113 of 4225 Old 04-11-2008, 12:19 AM
Advanced Member

Contact them as the European updates were available WAY before the USA updates

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanmar View Post

Oh, that's great that you have found the official Onkyo download site, but it doesn't accept registration outside USA & Canada.

post #114 of 4225 Old 04-11-2008, 01:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Contact them as the European updates were available WAY before the USA updates

Strange enough it's just the DSP firmware update, which floats around these forums for quite some time now (see my signature).
We probably should have emailed it to them earlier, so they could have released it sooner.

Still no "main" firmware for some models...
post #115 of 4225 Old 04-11-2008, 05:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Thanks for providing the files. I followed the instructions for updating my DSP for the 605 and it worked. I wonder if I am missing something. Is there any main firmware update available for the 605?
post #116 of 4225 Old 04-11-2008, 06:15 AM

Can anyone who's done the update say if this has removed/improved previously existing lip sync issues.
post #117 of 4225 Old 04-11-2008, 06:44 AM

Thanks alot for this thread!

I have an european 875 machine (I bought it from germany, they have cheaper taxes than Sweden...). I have talked to Onkyo distributor in Sweden about getting the firmware updates so I can have the Reon menues and fix tha black levels on my machine.

They say that I have to send in the machine and they will not only update the firmware they also need to open the machine and change some stuff inside and that will cost alot of money (since I bought in Ger,any I have to pay for the upgrade in Sweden.. Bummer I know..).

Have somebody updated your European machine with the new firmware and got the Reon menues without opening the machine?
post #118 of 4225 Old 04-11-2008, 06:48 AM
rlb
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by xandra View Post

Can anyone who's done the update say if this has removed/improved previously existing lip sync issues.

Definitely. Previously the audio lagged video which could not be adjusted by the lip sync function (i.e., designed for video lagging audio). Update brings the function back into a video lagging audio which can be adjusted to bring the two into sync.
post #119 of 4225 Old 04-11-2008, 08:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Category 5 View Post

That's not correct info. There are some people (myself included) whom only saw DSP1 and 2 updated, but not DSP3. We waited the 10 minutes, turned off the unit, and checked to find that in fact only DSP1 and 2 were updated, and that DSP3 remained the old version. This is a player issue. Even though it appears to work something prevents the whole update from happening.

After switching to a different player (PS3 in my case) and trying again the message DSP3.... finally did appear, and after rebooting the 3rd DSP reported the correct NEW version.

If you had the same problem, and assumed it was because DSP3 didn't need to be updated then you most likely need to find another player and try again. If DSP3 isn't reporting the version information from the PDF then it wasn't updated, and it should have been.

Just because your player doesn't work correctly doesn't make my information incorrect. ...and yes, I know how to do it, but thanks...

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #120 of 4225 Old 04-11-2008, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

Just because your player doesn't work correctly doesn't make my information incorrect. ...and yes, I know how to do it, but thanks...

Your info was that if DSP1 and DSP2 display during the update, but DSP3 does not then that means DSP3 did not need to be updated.

That's incorrect info.

I Like Digital!
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Sr605 Receiver , Onkyo Tx Sr805 7 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver Silver , Onkyo Tx Nr905s
Gear in this thread - Nr905s by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page