Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 4212 Old 04-15-2008, 07:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gurkey View Post

Just do a hard reset as stated in my first post (pull the line cord / plug)
Should take care of it, because it does a cold boot for the processor.
Check Your firmware numbers and You should be fine.
Has been reported several times before.

Yeap I did all of that, unplugging the cord, pressing vcr + power to clear everything but the error message is still there.

What I end up doing was downgrading to 1.05 and then 1.07 and that seems to fix the 'E2PROM ERROR' message.

Thanks for the help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 4212 Old 04-15-2008, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRADH View Post

I used a Radioshack USB-RS232 on a Vista laptop. The laptop downloaded the drivers for the USB (there is driver disc that coms with it as well). I had to set it to com 1 in the device mgr. the bites per second are 38400 on the updater and 9600 on the device mgr, so I changed it to match the updater and it worked fine.

Brad

Same here. When I attached the RS USB-RS232 cable, my laptop set it as COM4. The Advanced tab in device manager allowed to to set the COM4 port to Com1 and everything worked as described.

I'd like to add my thanks to everyone for the info contained here.

HToM

"Who are you, who are so wise in the ways of science?"
post #183 of 4212 Old 04-15-2008, 12:11 PM

I had this 'E2PROM ERROR' after updating my Onk 885 to 1.07 and as it turned out I had forgotten to remove the serial cable from the unit and I think they were still communicating. Unplugged, restarted and the message dissappeared.

Bob
post #184 of 4212 Old 04-15-2008, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by escdoc88 View Post

I had the same problem with my Dell laptop and got the same error on my Dell tower.I realized the comm port was controlled by the active sync program for my pocket pc and hot sync for a palm.After connecting the RS232 to the reciever and laptop, power the reciever on first then laptop and see if you get a message that active sync or hot sync or so other program has control of your comm port.If this does not work reboot the computer again with the reciever still own and see if you get a messsage from the program controlling the comm port.

Thanks so much. Really appreciate it.
post #185 of 4212 Old 04-15-2008, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svnakhare View Post

On your machine right click "My Computer" and select "Manage". This will open up the "Manage Coumputer" window. From this window select "Device Manager" from the left side, which will open up a tree structure on the right side of the window.
In the tree structure look for COM Ports. Expand the "COM Ports" node and select the COM Port being shown as assigned for your RS232 port. Right click that COM port and select "Properties". In that properties tab you will be able to select the required COM port from a drop down menu. Select either COM1, COM2, COM3 from that list. Make sure that you select a COM Port that is NOT shown as "assigned" in the drop-down.
After this click OK on the properties and then close the device manager.

Now open the "update application" and select the same COM port that you selected earlier in the device manager window. Also make sure that you select the "COM Port Speed" as 9600 and then click the "Main Update" button.

This should get rid of the error "8005" message and the update will start.

Hope this helps.

The expertise available on AVS forum continues to amaze me. Thanks so much.
post #186 of 4212 Old 04-15-2008, 01:04 PM

I spent a bit of time last night doing both the firmware and DSP updates to my 9.8. Both updates went smoothly, though I also hit the "E2PROM ERROR" bump, but all seemed fine after a cold boot.

A big thank you to gurkey and everyone else for contributing here.
post #187 of 4212 Old 04-15-2008, 07:46 PM

Anyone have any luck updating the DSP on an 805 with a Toshiba HD-DVD player? I tried A X2 and an A2. I also tried the PS3, but no luck their either. Any suggestions? These are the only players I have. Thanks
post #188 of 4212 Old 04-15-2008, 07:51 PM

Hi guys! Thank you for all of your hard work on this thread, AVS is a great community. Before I try the DSP update for my 805, I was wondering if anyone successfully burned their CD with Windows Media Player. Any info is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Scott
post #189 of 4212 Old 04-15-2008, 07:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange5814 View Post

Hi guys! Thank you for all of your hard work on this thread, AVS is a great community. Before I try the DSP update for my 805, I was wondering if anyone successfully burned their CD with Windows Media Player. Any info is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Scott

I had no luck with WMP. I read that others had the same experience.
post #190 of 4212 Old 04-15-2008, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjr View Post

I had no luck with WMP. I read that others had the same experience.

Thanks for the info, I guess I will try Nero on my laptop. On another note, has anyone figured out what the latest HDMI version is? Mine says Version 1.00.
post #191 of 4212 Old 04-15-2008, 09:54 PM

I upgraded my 885 tonight, and both the DSP and Main upgrades went fine but my settings were not lost. Which is nice, but did this happen to anyone else?
post #192 of 4212 Old 04-15-2008, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlinsley View Post

I upgraded my 885 tonight, and both the DSP and Main upgrades went fine but my settings were not lost. Which is nice, but did this happen to anyone else?

Definitely a known issue, and widely discussed on these forum boards. It wasn't the main update that did it, it was in the DSP update routine, and it has done it to every one of us. Hopefully you wrote your settings down! You'll have to redo Audyssey too if you did that to begin with.
post #193 of 4212 Old 04-15-2008, 10:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradandbree View Post

Definitely a known issue, and widely discussed on these forum boards. It wasn't the main update that did it, it was in the DSP update routine, and it has done it to every one of us. Hopefully you wrote your settings down! You'll have to redo Audyssey too if you did that to begin with.

I think you missed a key word in his post. Very odd I think everyone lost their settings.

Quote:

post #194 of 4212 Old 04-15-2008, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoTC View Post

I think you missed a key word in his post. Very odd I think everyone lost their settings.

Right you are, sir. I didn't notice the NOT in his sentence. Agreed that this is odd, and the first such report I can recall seeing on any of the relevant boards.

My apologies to the OP for not reading closely enough...
post #195 of 4212 Old 04-15-2008, 10:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

To the OP, I'd double check your post update DSPs, perhaps they didn't update correctly.

Quote:

Right you are, sir. I didn't notice the NOT in his sentence. Agreed that this is odd, and the first such report I can recall seeing on any of the relevant boards.

I had to read it a few times myself.
post #196 of 4212 Old 04-15-2008, 10:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:

NO SOUP FOR YOU!!!!

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #197 of 4212 Old 04-15-2008, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post

NO SOUP FOR YOU!!!!

I guess I'll be back next year...
post #198 of 4212 Old 04-16-2008, 01:51 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
I just ran the DSP update on my very early 805. Going through the DSP1 > S/DIF updating, DSP2 > S/DIF Updating, DSP3 all went fine. But after 15 minutes the S/DIF Updating after DSP3 is still flashing. Not sure how long this should take? The others went 15 seconds or less, but this one is still flashing on the screen. Should I turn it off?
post #199 of 4212 Old 04-16-2008, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRX_Rocky View Post

I just ran the DSP update on my very early 805. Going through the DSP1 > S/DIF updating, DSP2 > S/DIF Updating, DSP3 all went fine. But after 15 minutes the S/DIF Updating after DSP3 is still flashing. Not sure how long this should take? The others went 15 seconds or less, but this one is still flashing on the screen. Should I turn it off?

Hi WRX_Rocky,

If you read the PDF very carefully, Onkyo already stated that in some case the upgrade of DSP3 won't be completed, then just need to wait for 10 minutes and switch off the A/V amp. I have the same experience on my SR805.
post #200 of 4212 Old 04-16-2008, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9ChargerFan View Post

Anyone have any luck updating the DSP on an 805 with a Toshiba HD-DVD player? I tried A X2 and an A2. I also tried the PS3, but no luck their either. Any suggestions? These are the only players I have. Thanks

I looked through the next few replies after this post and didn't see anyone address this. I used a Toshiba HD-XA2 to update the DSPs in my DTC-9.8. Assuming you burned an audio disc correctly, be sure the SPDIF audio out is set to Bitstream. Note that my DSP1 version was the only one that needed to be updated per Integra's version numbers on their PDF file. That said, DSP1 and DSP2 said they were updating (why DSP2 if version was already current?), but DSP3 never appeared on the 9.8's screen. I did the reboot after 10 minutes and all was fine.

haylo75
Webmaster - GTVault.com
post #201 of 4212 Old 04-16-2008, 05:03 AM
rlb
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:

I've read at least one other entry where settings were not lost. They had specifically used the "CD" input with OPT1 as detailed in the instructions. I used my normal PS3 input (OPT1 added) and lost settings. I would guess that most people didn't specifically setup the "CD". Did you use "CD" per the directions. Maybe that was the key.
post #202 of 4212 Old 04-16-2008, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlb View Post

I've read at least one other entry where settings were not lost. They had specifically used the "CD" input with OPT1 as detailed in the instructions. I used my normal PS3 input (OPT1 added) and lost settings. I would guess that most people didn't specifically setup the "CD". Did you use "CD" per the directions. Maybe that was the key.

Doesn't make sense since the mere checking of the DSP firmware versions(the initial steps of the process) is what wipes out your settings.
post #203 of 4212 Old 04-16-2008, 05:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanmar View Post

Hi WRX_Rocky,

If you read the PDF very carefully, Onkyo already stated that in some case the upgrade of DSP3 won't be completed, then just need to wait for 10 minutes and switch off the A/V amp. I have the same experience on my SR805.

Yes, I finally turned it off, and it said CLEAR, then powered off. When I turned it back on, it was fine with the new DSP versions. It was just that when reading the PDF file, it appeared to me to say that if it did not shut off AFTER it showed COMPLETE then CLEAR, that was when to turn it off, never mentioned if it was stuck at the S/DIF Updating screen. That was why I was confused.

And on mine, it entirely wiped out all my settings, included input assignments as well, ugh! Been working on it ever since to get them back to what they were.

Does anyone remember how to get to the "hidden menu" on the 805? Cause I think there was a setting to have everything output through HDMI. And that is part of what is killing me now, casue I have all sorts of stuff hooked up to it, and trying to figure out what went where (the non HDMI equipment that is) has been a real PITA.
Thanks
post #204 of 4212 Old 04-16-2008, 06:02 AM
Advanced Member

Over at http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...008620&page=64 post #1913, there are directions now on how to get the official Onkyo USA update. But looking at both files, the one on here has a space in one spot, and the date is 3/3/08 and the Onkyo is 3/30/08. So I guess they are the same.
post #205 of 4212 Old 04-16-2008, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by haylo75 View Post

I looked through the next few replies after this post and didn't see anyone address this. I used a Toshiba HD-XA2 to update the DSPs in my DTC-9.8. Assuming you burned an audio disc correctly, be sure the SPDIF audio out is set to Bitstream. Note that my DSP1 version was the only one that needed to be updated per Integra's version numbers on their PDF file. That said, DSP1 and DSP2 said they were updating (why DSP2 if version was already current?), but DSP3 never appeared on the 9.8's screen. I did the reboot after 10 minutes and all was fine.

I tried using an XA2 a dozen times on my 805. Each time DSP1 and DSP2 wrote, but never DSP3. After waiting, resetting and checking firmware indeed only DSP1 and DSP2 were the newer versions.

I finally redid the update with the PS3 and DID get eth DSP3 message. After waiting 10 minutes again, rebooting and checking all 3 firmwares were finally the new version.

For some reason, the XA2 will not update DSP3, and it isn't because DSP3 doesn't need updating. Something simply goes wrong.

I Like Digital!
post #206 of 4212 Old 04-16-2008, 08:00 AM

I just wanted to report another successful upgrade of the main FW on my SR875 from FW1.04 to FW1.07. I used a Belkin USB/DB9 Serial Adapter from BB (a pricey $36) hooked up to a laptop running Vista. Drivers for the Belkin Adapter came in the kit and I reassigned to COM1 in device manager and rebooted the laptop. Confirmed that the adapter was still using COM1 and hooked up the adapter to the SR875 with the power cord unplugged. I had to unscrew the posts on each side of the port on the 875 because the ones on the adapter were riveted. Held down "enter" while plugging in the 875 and verified Main Updater was VER 1.01/07615L. Back to the laptop and ran Update.exe from the folder extracted from the App_Updater_875.zip. Clicked the "Main Update" button and the update ran for about 15-20 min. I never had to go to page 3 in the instructions or even mess with the other folder "Setup_Updater875E". Unplugged the 875, plugged back in and verified FW was 1.07 by pushing and holding "display" and hitting the "standby" button. I did have the persistent E2Prom error that would not clear by unplugging the receiver. I had to manually clear it by holding down the "DVD/VCR" button while the unit was on and hitting "Standby". Of course I lost all settings and had to set up just as if the receiver was brand new.
Again, many thanks to JoeRod, gurkey and the many brave pioneers on this forum for making this happen. I never would have had the courage to do this if not for you.
post #207 of 4212 Old 04-16-2008, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by medtech View Post

I just wanted to report another successful upgrade of the main FW on my SR875 from FW1.04 to FW1.07. I used a Belkin USB/DB9 Serial Adapter from BB (a pricey $36) hooked up to a laptop running Vista. Drivers for the Belkin Adapter came in the kit and I reassigned to COM1 in device manager and rebooted the laptop. Confirmed that the adapter was still using COM1 and hooked up the adapter to the SR875 with the power off. I had to unscrew the posts on each side of the port on the 875 because the ones on the adapter were riveted. Held down "enter" while plugging in the 875 and verified Main Updater was VER 1.01/07615L. Back to the laptop and ran Update.exe from the folder extracted from the App_Updater_875.zip. Clicked the "Main Update" button and the update ran for about 15-20 min. I never had to go to page 3 in the instructions or even mess with the other folder "Setup_Updater875E". Unplugged the 875, plugged back in and verified FW was 1.07 by pushing and holding "display" and hitting the "standby" button. I did have the persistent E2Prom error that would not clear by unplugging the receiver. I had to manually clear it by holding down the "DVD/VCR" button while the unit was on and hitting "Standby". Of course I lost all settings and had to set up just as if the receiver was brand new.
Again, many thanks to JoeRod, gurkey and the many brave pioneers on this forum for making this happen. I never would have had the courage to do this if not for you.

Held down "enter"??? is that under flap on front panel?
post #208 of 4212 Old 04-16-2008, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by namuk View Post

Held down "enter"??? is that under flap on front panel?

Yeah Namuk, it's under the flap, bottom button just to the left of the Mic and Aux inputs.
post #209 of 4212 Old 04-16-2008, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9ChargerFan View Post

I couldn't get DSP 3 to update with my A2 or A3. In both cases, the player stopped at 1:01. I ended up getting it to work with an Oppo 970.
post #210 of 4212 Old 04-16-2008, 10:17 AM

I believe the problem is the update has to be done with a 44hz sampling rate and most of the players described on this forum are 48 by default. That's why the ps3 works so well is that you can change it from 48 to 44.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Sr605 Receiver , Onkyo Tx Sr805 7 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver Silver , Onkyo Tx Nr905s
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page