Yamaha DSP-A1 - has echo on Optical inputs - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 04-06-2008, 07:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all,
Long time reader, seldom poster. I have a Yamaha DSP-A1 Amp. Recently (Nov 2007) I purchased a Toshiba HDDVD XA2 player from Robert at Value Electronics. Ever since I connected the player to the Amp via Optical for sound I get a real bad echo.

I previously had a Sony DVP-7700 connected to the DVD inputs using optical for sound, and had no problems. When connected the XA2 to the DVD inputs, I moved the Sony 7700 to the AUX or Video inputs and it also has echo now as well. This problem perplexes me.

Here is a bit of background on my setup - I have a Sony 40XBR5 TV, and have all DVD & video devices (RePlayTV's) connected to the TV (Video & Sound) and the AMP (Sound only) indepentantly. I do this for my family, they don't want to learn how everything works and just want to be able to watch video content by turning on the TV and selecting the proper video circuit. So thats why I have all things connected to both.

More specifically, The XA2 DVD Player is connected to the TV via HDMI and then to the Amp via Optical. The Sony DVD is connected to the TV via Compenent (RGB) Video and to the Amp via Optical.

I have tried the following things with no luck at getting rid of the echo chamber effect:
1.) Turn Amp on first, then turn on TV, then turn on DVD player
2.) Turn TV on first, then turn on AMP, then turn on DVD player
3.) Turn DVD on first, then turn on TV, then turn on AMP
4.) Turn DVD on first, then turn on AMP, then turn on TV
5.) Turn TV on first, then turn on DVD, then turn on Amp

I think I have tried every combination of turning things on to no avail. Once in a great while I can get the sound to play normally, but can't repeat it. Even after I write down what I did to get it to play with no echo, I can't repeat it by taking the same steps.

Is it possible that I have a problem with my Amp? I hope not. I was trying to keep this Amp for a few more years before upgrading.

Thanks to all who may have any advice to offer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-07-2008, 07:24 PM - Thread Starter

bump
post #3 of 8 Old 04-08-2008, 03:52 PM

What do you mean by echo? A reverberation of the sound or a double image on your screen? If it's a sound echo, I would suspect you have one of the DSP programs engaged or maladjusted. Try selecting "dolby digital" and see if that helps.

mooneycj
post #4 of 8 Old 04-23-2008, 01:42 PM

I've had that model for 10 years now and could answer that question.

First of all what sound mode are you on? There are several sound modes that produce hall-type echoes and probably you have it on one of those modes. The only modes that provide absolutely no added echo effects are simple pro-logic/dolby digital normal and no-effect stereo modes. Check your sound modes first.
post #5 of 8 Old 04-24-2008, 05:53 AM
AVS Special Member

I'd also suspect some DSP-mode is engaged. I remember some of them having horribly echoing sounds, but don't recall specifically which ones. I haven't engaged any of those DSP modes in about 8 years.

Do you use a universal remote with macros to select your various devices for playback? If so, check your macros to make sure you didn't accidentally include a command to activate a DSP mode.

Do you get the echoes when in straight 2-channel stereo mode ("Effect Off" on the display)?

If you plug your Sony DVD player into the optical port being used by the XA2, how does it sound?
post #6 of 8 Old 06-25-2008, 02:30 PM

Hey I found your old topic about the Echo problem and was wondering if you had fixed it or figured it out, I am having the same problem with mine and I have to turn down the tv volume all the way down but then the sound is kinda airy from the amp and speakers and I can't hear the talking as good but I don't know if they is a setting problem or if the center speaker is bad. So I have to turn the t.v. volume back up to hear the talking over the sound effects and the amp and speakers are delayed just a little bit longer than the t.v. for some reason so I'm hoping that was your same problem and I'm hoping you figured out how to synch the amp and t.v. together, please let me know, Thanks.
post #7 of 8 Old 01-21-2009, 12:31 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claywalker2000 View Post

Hey I found your old topic about the Echo problem and was wondering if you had fixed it or figured it out, I am having the same problem with mine and I have to turn down the tv volume all the way down but then the sound is kinda airy from the amp and speakers and I can't hear the talking as good but I don't know if they is a setting problem or if the center speaker is bad. So I have to turn the t.v. volume back up to hear the talking over the sound effects and the amp and speakers are delayed just a little bit longer than the t.v. for some reason so I'm hoping that was your same problem and I'm hoping you figured out how to synch the amp and t.v. together, please let me know, Thanks.

Ok, I have had a DSP-A1 since new, the only issues being;

- that the display back lighting is a bit touchy, the fix can be found here;
h t t p : // au . youtube . com / watch?v=eiJRmpfKxBM (remove spaces)
(mods, this Youtube guide will be useful for DSP-A1 owners)

And, DTS wasn't always auto-detected on DVDs (use manual select) - but BluRay is fine.

The echo you hear is the delay between the DSP-A1 (leading) and your TV (lagging) due to the TV's processing time. Fix, turn the volume of your TV to zero when using the DSP-A1. The more image processing, the more audio delay from the TV's speakers as the TV is designed to eliminate A/V synch error between the display and the TV speakers.

Also check that you do not have anything connected to the DSP-A1's Analogue RCA input that you are using the SPDIF Toslink on (but I would doubt that the DSP-A1 could simultaneously receive analogue and digital audio - but, play it safe).
post #8 of 8 Old 11-18-2013, 11:24 PM

I also have the same problem.  Cable box (and other devices) connected to a Panasonic TC-P65TZ60 TV via HDMI.  Panasonic connected to the Yamaha DSP-A1 via optical (It's the only audio out from the TV).  I get a rather severe echo when the TV and Yamaha are turned on simultaneously due to delayed sound coming from the Yamaha.  I checked there was no DSP effects set on the Yamaha, and the echo only shows up when both the Yamaha and TV are playing.  When the Yamaha is the only sound there is a slight lip sync offset.  Has anyone found a fix for this?

Note, I replaced an older Panasonic TV, TH-50PX60U, that had RCA analog out with the newer TV that has only digital (optical) audio out ports.  There was no problem with echo or sync on the older (analog) connections.

I called Panasonic and they asked me to reset the TV to the factory defaults; I tried that - with no change in results.

Thanks,

David

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page