post #181 of 2080 Old 04-19-2008, 06:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuance View Post

Did you used to live in WI, or did you just travel to see the shows?

Just traveled
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 2080 Old 04-19-2008, 07:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by merrymaid520 View Post

Wow,

Alpine sure draws people from everywhere. Thats wild!
Nuance,
The more I think about the EQ amp, the more I realize the sheer size of it. I would have to build a new rack just to fit it. Maybe I should just stick with my proceed. Splitting hairs here I think after this point

I am curious to hear what you end up buying for both the pre & amp. Someday just as yourself, I would like a 2 ch pre-amp with HT bypass for my critical 2 ch listening. Your evaluations might be of use down the road for me.

Later guys,
Off to golfing with the family in Brown Deer

Brandon

Yeah, I hear ya. I had a feeling the Proceed with still remain champion anyway, but who knows.

When I do start auditioning amps and preamps, I will be as meticulous as you. I will probably give the pieces 2-3 weeks of serious listening and comparisons. When I finally get everything set up, you are all more than welcome to come over and give the system a listen and/or bring some of your gear for comparison.

Have fun golfing, B.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rydenfan View Post

Just traveled

Wow, that's dedication!

My journey to find the "perfect" speaker
Dr. Olive's Blog

No matter what measurements tell us, a loudspeaker isn’t good until it
sounds good. - Dr. Floyd Toole
post #183 of 2080 Old 04-19-2008, 07:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_vogel View Post

I'm in the same boat. I'm thinking about the ATI 1202 at $695. It will deliver 220 watts into 4 ohms (I think the ST max is 250W). Jim Salk is actually an ATI dealer and uses them for his HT3a's. He thinks ATI makes a solid amp for the money. He personally uses an ATI 2006 for his home theater.

Besides the low cost, the other thing that attracted me to the 1202 is the gain adjustment. I'm planning on going directly from a Squeezebox to the power amp with no preamp... the 1202 will allow me to level match without buying a passive volume control or small preamp. Besides eliminating another source of distortion, this also saves some cash.

I've heard good things about the ATI 2000 and 3000 series multi-channel amps. The only question I have is whether the 1202 is at the same level. The specs on the web site are pretty much identical for the 1202 except for less power and single-ended design (the 2000 and 3000 series are true differential amps). According to my SPL calculator 220W to the SongTowers should do 108db in my room - plenty loud for me.

Here is the web site:

http://www.ati-amp.com/at1202.html

The other option in our price range is buying used. I won't duplicate all the posted info, but there should be lots of options for used mid-tier equipment from the name brands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockets97 View Post

Thanks Randy & Thomas for the information. The size of my room is 22’X18’ and 19’ ceiling and also connect to the kitchen, so I guess an additional amps is needed right? Do you have any recommend amps in the $600 to $800 price range? I have been follow the new thread of Nuance and Funk for the amps and preamps, but those equipment is way over my price.
Also, does ST’s required a lot space on the side of the speaker? I have 8” clearance from each side of the speaker between the wall and cabinet.
I am counting to the day that I can treat my ear with the ST’s sound.

I nabbed these posts from a different thread and posted them here. I don't feel that this thread should only be for Funk, Hifi and I but rather everyone and anyone with the same price range in search of the same transparent and uncolored sound; something I should have made apparent in the original post (which I now have done). Please don't hesitate to help the others as well, or even post your own review of equipment within the set price range. With that said I updated the OP to include everyone with a similar budget. There are many good threads available here, but many have a very high budget to base things on. I want this thread to revolve around a more attainable budget. Hopefully this thread will follow in the footsteps of Zissou's and will be as useful as his.

Thanks!

Dr. Olive's Blog

post #184 of 2080 Old 04-19-2008, 09:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Jon -
I think the ATI would be an amazing performer for only $695, especially considering you can level match using it's gain controls. I've never heard ATI, but I've read many good things about them. Heck, I might take a look into one of those.

Happy hunting, Jon!

rockets97 -

The Song Tower's transmission line design allows for them to be less finicky when it comes to placement. Jim or Dennis can confirm, but I think you'll be just fine with 8" clearance. You can always rearrange and tweak things.

As for amps, in that price range check out Outlaw, ATI, Parasound, McCormack, Rotel, Proceed, etc used on Audiogon. Also stay tuned to this thread because we're looking for amps in the same range.

Happy hunting rocket!

Dr. Olive's Blog

post #185 of 2080 Old 04-19-2008, 09:42 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:

I nabbed these posts from a different thread and posted them here. I don't feel that this thread should only be for Funk, Hifi and I but rather everyone and anyone with the same price range in search of the same transparent and uncolored sound;

While I am looking for transparent and uncolored sound and I am absorbing all the useful info in this thread... I originally didn't try to thread-jack because of these differences between your topic and my situation:

1) Power. The power numbers being thrown around here seem excessive for my application. I'm ordering a 2nd set of songtowers for living/dining room duty - they probably won't hit 85db. The songtowers are 4 ohm, and a typical 120wpc amp will deliver 220+ watts into 4 ohms. My SPL calc says 220w will push ~108db out of the songtowers. So even with 120wpc amp I have 23db of headroom. EDIT: I just saw the ATI 1202 full bandwidth power into 4ohms is only 180w (vs 120w into 8ohm). But still, the SPL calc says 180w into the songtowers is 107db. WAF is very low above 100db. That's why we have the HT room.

2) Cosmetics. I plan to hide everything in the closet and could care less what it looks like. Control will be through a Squeezebox Duet remote.

3) No preamp. I'm looking for something that will match nicely with Squeezebox line out. If I have to I will put in a passive volume control or ultra-simple preamp. I saw the ATI 1202 had gain controls - are there any other amps with gain adjust?

4) Cost. I'd like to stay sub-$1000 for the power amp + line matching. Any additional savings is great, of course.

So hey, thanks for any help!
post #186 of 2080 Old 04-19-2008, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

While I am looking for transparent and uncolored sound and I am absorbing all the useful info in this thread... I originally didn't try to thread-jack because of these differences between your topic and my situation:

1) Power. The power numbers being thrown around here seem excessive for my application. I'm ordering a 2nd set of songtowers for living/dining room duty - they probably won't hit 85db. The songtowers are 4 ohm, and a typical 120wpc amp will deliver 220+ watts into 4 ohms. My SPL calc says 220w will push 107db+ out of the songtowers. So even with 120wpc I have over 20db of headroom.

2) Cosmetics. I plan to hide everything in the closet and could care less what it looks like. Control will be through a Squeezebox Duet remote.

3) No preamp. I'm looking for something that will match nicely with Squeezebox line out. If I have to I will put in a passive volume control or ultra-simple preamp. I saw the ATI 1202 had gain controls - are there any other amps with gain adjust?

4) Cost. I'd like to stay sub-$1000 for the power amp + line matching. Any additional savings is great, of course.

So hey, thanks for any help!

I honestly don't know if gain control on amplifiers is common, but if I had to guess I would say less than 50/50. I don't know how many of these have gain controls, but here are some contenders within your price range:

Rotel 1080
Another Rotel 1080
Parasound A23

That ATI that you found really seems nice. See if you can find some reviews on it, and if things look good, there ya go.

Dr. Olive's Blog

post #187 of 2080 Old 04-19-2008, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

are there any other amps with gain adjust?

...I'd like to stay sub-$1000 for the power amp + line matching. Any additional savings is great, of course.

Most pro amps have gain controls, and for the modest wpc requirements you have, you'll stay way under $1k. Trying one out is free, if you don't like it, return it.
post #188 of 2080 Old 04-19-2008, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Jon, the ideal amplifier should double its watts per channel from 8 to 4 ohms. This means it is the most transparent. I have no first hand experience with ATI but I have heard both positive and negative things said about them.

I personally did not have the best luck with the Emotiva MPS-1 in my system, but in your price range I would suggest looking at the XPA-2 2 channel amp.
http://www.emotiva.com/xpa2.html
post #189 of 2080 Old 04-19-2008, 02:26 PM

New toys showed up! Can you spot them?

post #190 of 2080 Old 04-19-2008, 03:16 PM

Quote:

I personally did not have the best luck with the Emotiva MPS-1 in my system, but in your price range I would suggest looking at the XPA-2 2 channel amp.
http://www.emotiva.com/xpa2.html

What was your issue with the MPS-1?
post #191 of 2080 Old 04-19-2008, 08:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by idiotec View Post

New lamp and torpedo level?

Nice!

Jason

Custom Built For The Win!
post #192 of 2080 Old 04-20-2008, 12:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by idiotec View Post

Very nice; love that amp!

Enjoy!

Dr. Olive's Blog

post #193 of 2080 Old 04-20-2008, 07:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I'd like to also include a real nice integrated piece as an option. If my wife does in fact lose her job soon, an integrated piece is the only choice I may if. So please tell me this:

Can an integrated piece sound as nice as a preamp/amp combo? Do integrated pieces have preouts so I can hook up a more power amplifier down the road? Finally, will using an integrated as a preamp (if it's possible) sound as good as a regular preamp?

Thanks!

Dr. Olive's Blog

post #194 of 2080 Old 04-20-2008, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'd like to also include a real nice integrated piece as an option. If my wife does in fact lose her job soon, an integrated piece is the only choice I may if. So please tell me this:

Can an integrated piece sound as nice as a preamp/amp combo? Do integrated pieces have preouts so I can hook up a more power amplifier down the road? Finally, will using an integrated as a preamp (if it's possible) sound as good as a regular preamp?

Thanks!

You know I believe an integrated is an excellent place to begin. They are excellent sounding and create a nice simplified setup. Look into musical Fidelity, Jolida, and Cayin as some excellent places to start. They are as good as separates and plenty powerful, they should also have a HT BYpass option for the best possible integration. I will come up with a few more as well.
post #195 of 2080 Old 04-20-2008, 08:12 AM

Quote:

Thanks!

Have you heard of Playback? It is a free online audio magazine:

http://www.playbackmag.net/

Anyways, they have an article in the April edition that reviews integrates under $1,500.

It might be a good read for you and a cool magazine nonetheless.
post #196 of 2080 Old 04-20-2008, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Here are some other very sexy integrateds:

http://www.highendpalace.com/HEP%20I...ted%20Amps.htm

I believe Pete (PAD/Big Red Machine) just picked up one of these to try out:

http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/auc....ran&1209088371
post #197 of 2080 Old 04-20-2008, 08:59 AM

OK, the Parasound Halo A23 is looking interesting to me... around $800, has gain controls, and is well-reviewed (unlike the ATI 1202 which isn't widely known). 200W into 4 ohms should be enough for my application. The 5yr warranty is great.

The Emotiva XPA-2 looks like a lot of power for the same money, but what are the compromises?? Surely there must be some. In any case, I won't use the extra power - so I probably shouldn't take the risk. It will be interesting to see how that unit pans out.

Honestly I should just punt and buy a $300 used Rotel RB-1050 on ebay. It would probably work well enough (100w into 4ohm).
post #198 of 2080 Old 04-20-2008, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Quote:

Can an integrated piece sound as nice as a preamp/amp combo?

Just wanted to echo Nuance's question here. I am 90% sure that I will be going with separates but if an integrated piece will save some space and provide the power I need for the HT3s, along with some clean sound, then I may sway toward them.

I skimmed through that "playback" article and the only one they mentioned that sounded like I may have some interest in would be the Cambridge, but that seemed a little weak for my needs. That and the fact that the watts didn't double between 8Ω and 4Ω causes some worry for me. but thanks for posting the link.

I think that Nuance and his SongTowers have a lot more options for amplification, because they are a much more efficient speaker. I have to get a "big iron" amp, to really let the HT3's shine. I heard back from Dennis Murphy last night and he didn't really have a true recommendation for an amp for the HT3s, but what he did say was, "I've heard the HT3's run by Van Alstine equipment at trade shows, and they sounded effortless. But I haven't A-B'd them with Van Alstine and other brands of amps, so I can't make any definitive statement. I do know the Van Alstine and HT3's are very compatible." He also mentioned that the SongTowers can be driven with just about anything.

So for now my list for amps stays the same. I would like some more suggestions for stereo pre-amps with a HT bypass though. If anyone can add to the couple that have been mentioned earlier in this thread that would be helpful.

Thanks,
Funk

->>>≈<<<-
Speakerquest
post #199 of 2080 Old 04-20-2008, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 93
Quote:

OK, the Parasound Halo A23 is looking interesting to me... around $800, has gain controls, and is well-reviewed (unlike the ATI 1202 which isn't widely known). 200W into 4 ohms should be enough for my application. The 5yr warranty is great.

The Emotiva XPA-2 looks like a lot of power for the same money, but what are the compromises?? Surely there must be some. In any case, I won't use the extra power - so I probably shouldn't take the risk. It will be interesting to see how that unit pans out.

Honestly I should just punt and buy a $300 used Rotel RB-1050 on ebay. It would probably work well enough (100w into 4ohm).

Look at it another way the Halo retains resale value should you decide
it did not work out.
post #200 of 2080 Old 04-20-2008, 01:54 PM

Nuance, Maybe you should consider an Arcam AVR280 or AVR 350 as a temporary solution and add a higher powered amp later.
http://www.aslgroup.com/arcam/index.htm

Here is a review of the AVR350 by (EDIT) THE INTERNATIONAL AUDIO REVIEW,
http://www.iar-80.com/page139.html

Used ones come up on Audiogon from time to time.
post #201 of 2080 Old 04-20-2008, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanlanman View Post

Nuance, Maybe you should consider an Arcam AVR280 or AVR 350 as a temporary solution and add a higher powered amp later.
http://www.aslgroup.com/arcam/index.htm

Here is a review of the AVR350 by THE AUDIO CRITIC,

Used ones come up on Audiogon from time to time.

I had an Arcam AVR350 here for awhile. While it is very good for what it is, Nuance would be much better served with separates of a nice integrated piece.
post #202 of 2080 Old 04-20-2008, 02:36 PM
AVS Club Gold

you guys on this journey be sure to take a serious look at the dsonic magnum amps.
ice is so nice.
once you try ice, you'll buy it twice!
post #203 of 2080 Old 04-20-2008, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl b View Post

you guys on this journey be sure to take a serious look at the dsonic magnum amps.
ice is so nice.
once you try ice, you'll buy it twice!

Not me,

Sold mine

There are both advantages & disadvantages to the ICE amps. Read the NHT power5 thread or go to pg 6 of this thread. They are nice amps for the price though..........lots of power while not requiring much in return!

Later,
B
post #204 of 2080 Old 04-20-2008, 04:17 PM
AVS Special Member

merrymaid, I am sure if we ignore the troll he will not come back
post #205 of 2080 Old 04-20-2008, 05:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanlanman View Post

Here is a review of the AVR350 by THE AUDIO CRITIC,

The Audio Critic is an entirely different publication, by Peter Aczel, and it is here:

http://www.theaudiocritic.com/
post #206 of 2080 Old 04-20-2008, 05:46 PM

My bad. I should have stated International Audio Review.
post #207 of 2080 Old 04-21-2008, 06:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Honestly, 100 watts is going to be enough. There are many articles out there (some linked previously in this thread) that prove 100 WPC isn't enough, even for listening decibel levels in the 80's. If it were me, I'd go with the Parasound Halo A23 if you can find it for that nice of a price. Better to be safe than sorry (and clip the amps causing speaker damage).

That's just my $0.02.

Thank you all for the many recommendations. I will intensely researching all of them.

I never thought an integrated would sound as nice as separates, but it seems many do. Some of them even have 250+ watts per channel and home theater bypass which is just what I'm looking for. Thanks guys!

Dr. Olive's Blog

post #208 of 2080 Old 04-21-2008, 06:44 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:

Thanks!

You might consider these integrated 2-channel models:

Van Alstine OmegaStar EX Integrated Control Amp

Outlaw RR2150 Stereo Receiver

The Van Alstine, which I have not heard, costs more than double the Outlaw. I have heard the Outlaw driving a pair of SongTowers and it is very nice. It has pre-out/main-in connections, and it has bass management controls with adjustable subwoofer crossover points.

The Van Alstine integrated has line outputs that would also allow connections to a subwoofer.
post #209 of 2080 Old 04-21-2008, 07:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Swerdlow View Post

You might consider these integrated 2-channel models:

Van Alstine OmegaStar EX Integrated Control Amp

Outlaw RR2150 Stereo Receiver

The Van Alstine, which I have not heard, costs more than double the Outlaw. I have heard the Outlaw driving a pair of SongTowers and it is very nice. It has pre-out/main-in connections, and it has bass management controls with adjustable subwoofer crossover points.

The Van Alstine integrated has line outputs that would also allow connections to a subwoofer.

Excellent; thank you! Do you think the mere 90 watts per channel that the Van Alstine provides would be enough to drive the ST's to reference leves without clipping?

Dr. Olive's Blog

post #210 of 2080 Old 04-21-2008, 07:12 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

merrymaid, I am sure if we ignore the troll he will not come back

why recruit for something like that? why don't you just do it by yourself and let others make their personal decision?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page