Need Help With Audyssey Settings & Subwoofer - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 04-18-2008, 08:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have had my Onkyo 705 for a few weeks now and love it. I also have the Onkyo 540 7.1 speaker set with an Infinity PS-10 subwoofer.

Receiver Link: http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-TX-SR705.../dp/B000OBMX0K

Speakers Link: http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-SKS-HT54.../dp/B000GU78Z4

Infinity PS-10 Link: http://www.amazon.com/Infinity-PS-10.../dp/B000255378

So now you guys can go to the links to check the specs on my receiver, speakers, and subwoofer so you can better assist me.

Here's a picture of the Audyssey settings for the speakers:

Do you think I should change any of these settings? Would setting all the frequencies to 80 where it's THX certified be better? I don't know much when it comes to tweaking frequencies and what effect it has or what it means.

Now, don't get me wrong -- it sounds great. But I question what the deal is with all the frequencies being set differently. Why do you think that is? Should I change it? If so, which should I change and to what?

Also, I want help with my subwoofer's setup. I have a couple switches on the back and I'm not sure which position I should put them in. Here's a picture:

So please help me out with these two things. Any suggestions/help on what to set the speaker frequencies & sub settings at, let me know. Again, I am not saying it doesn't sound good right now but I want to make it sound as best as possible to help impress friends & family when they're over!

I have another 10" subwoofer that came with my Onkyo speaker set. I am thinking about using it but since the Onkyo 705 only has 1 pre-out for a subwoofer, that wouldn't be possible would it?

Thanks in advance,
Jeremy

Xbox 360 Elite - 66 HD-DVD titles [pics]
PS3 80gb - 78 Blu-ray titles [pics]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 04-18-2008, 08:47 PM - Thread Starter

I forgot to add that one of the reasons I would like to see if I need to tweak the frequencies is it seems I never hear anything out of my rear surrounds unless I walk up to them and put my ear up to them. They definitely put out audio even when the track on a movie isn't 7.1 but the Onkyo is matrixing a 5.1 to 7.1, it still puts out the correct sounds for the scenes, but doesn't seem loud enough as I rarely ever hear it for any scene at all. I would set a raised db level for those rear surround channels but I'm afraid I shouldn't since Audyssey says they should be fine at their current setting.

Should I trust Audyssey has the absolute best settings in terms of frequencies and db adjustment settings for all my speakers to be 100% correct and therefor leave them alone? Or am I right in thinking real home theater nuts like me would want to tweak my settings for better performance? If the latter, what would you recommend I change the settings to, given my screenshot above?

Thanks.

post #3 of 13 Old 04-18-2008, 08:52 PM - Thread Starter

EDIT 2:

Here's a link to the specs on my speakers in the Onkyo 540 setup. It basically lists the frequency response for my speakers around 55-60 kHz so why did Audyssey set them from 80 kHz to 150 kHz? I guess that's where I am getting confused. Should I change them?

EDIT 3:

On another thread I saw a guy recommend to another person with similar questions I've got that he should set his Center and LPF of LFE to 120. His Audyssey set the center and LPF of LFE to a much lower setting and he said he should change them to 120 as his center channel wasn't capable of reproducing some of the low tones it was being sent while set at 60 or 80 by Audyssey. Is that correct for me? Should I change my sub and center to 120? Should I leave my surrounds at 150 and/or change my rear surrounds to 180 as well?

I'd really, really, appreciate it if someone could go to the link in the first reply to my original post I had and look at the specs of my speakers, compare that to the Audyssey settings for those speakers, and tell me what would likely be the best settings. I would be very thankful and you would make my day!

post #4 of 13 Old 04-18-2008, 09:23 PM - Thread Starter

I keep learning more and more.

It seems many on these boards recommend all center/front/surrounds set to 80 even if they're listed at a freq. response below 60. This is said because that's probably true they're capable at that setting but unlikely to ever do really do it or do it well. So everyone seems to recommend leaving them at 80. So that's what I did.

Does anyone disagree with the 80 setting for my center/fronts/surrounds and 120 for my LPF of LFE given my speaker specs????

Thanks

PS you can find my speaker specs here:
http://onkyousa.com/model.cfm?m=SKS-...ss=Speaker&p=s

post #5 of 13 Old 04-19-2008, 07:30 AM - Thread Starter

No one has any comment? Should I leave them at 80 which they are now, or should I go with a higher/lower setting for any of my speakers do you think?

post #6 of 13 Old 04-19-2008, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Remember with Audyssey, you can raise the crossover but not lower it.
I would set the center at 80, 120 for LFE and leave the surrounds (maybe even boost the backs to 150)

Set phase to 0 (not 180) and rerun audtssey.

You can use 2 subs by using a splitter.

Why is the volume set so high on the sub? If the receiver has to lower it too much you should decrease it to the 10:00 o'clock position.

All the other settings look good.
post #7 of 13 Old 04-19-2008, 04:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamus View Post

Remember with Audyssey, you can raise the crossover but not lower it.
I would set the center at 80, 120 for LFE and leave the surrounds (maybe even boost the backs to 150)

Set phase to 0 (not 180) and rerun audtssey.

You can use 2 subs by using a splitter.

Why is the volume set so high on the sub? If the receiver has to lower it too much you should decrease it to the 10:00 o'clock position.

All the other settings look good.

Okay, but I thought I read that lower settings, if your speakers can handle it, for the kHz means better quality audio. For example, my speakers are rated around 50-60 so I thought setting them around 60 to 80 would be best, not 100 to 120 or even 150. Was what I read wrong then or do you just suggest 150 for surrounds and back surrounds for some other reason?

I changed the phase from 180 to 0 on the sub and I adjusted the volume knob to about 1/2 way instead of all the way up. Where can I get a subwoofer cable splitter (link possibly)?

Thanks very much for the reply but can you please explain to me why you suggest the settings you suggest and tell me whether or not it is true that a 60-80 setting on all speakers would be better as I had read (if the speakers were capable of it which I believe mine are).

I really, really look forward to a reply from you on these questions I have and/or from anyone else who could explain.

post #8 of 13 Old 04-19-2008, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurleyjj View Post

Okay, but I thought I read that lower settings, if your speakers can handle it, for the kHz means better quality audio. For example, my speakers are rated around 50-60 so I thought setting them around 60 to 80 would be best, not 100 to 120 or even 150. Was what I read wrong then or do you just suggest 150 for surrounds and back surrounds for some other reason?

I changed the phase from 180 to 0 on the sub and I adjusted the volume knob to about 1/2 way instead of all the way up. Where can I get a subwoofer cable splitter (link possibly)?

Thanks very much for the reply but can you please explain to me why you suggest the settings you suggest and tell me whether or not it is true that a 60-80 setting on all speakers would be better as I had read (if the speakers were capable of it which I believe mine are).

I really, really look forward to a reply from you on these questions I have and/or from anyone else who could explain.

If Audyssey set it at that than its probably the best spot. If you lower a crossover set by Audyssey, it will remove any filters that it put in place. Anything can change the ideal crossover from speakers being close to a wall to carpeting in your listening area. I dont know the exacts on why but I do trust Audyssey.

Any RCA splitter will do from bestbuy etc...
post #9 of 13 Old 04-19-2008, 08:03 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamus View Post

If Audyssey set it at that than its probably the best spot. If you lower a crossover set by Audyssey, it will remove any filters that it put in place. Anything can change the ideal crossover from speakers being close to a wall to carpeting in your listening area. I dont know the exacts on why but I do trust Audyssey.

Any RCA splitter will do from bestbuy etc...

This isn't quite right. If you lower the crossover below what Audyssey found, it won't "remove" all the filters. It will still filter the bass at the new crossover frequency and send it to the subwoofer; it just won't EQ below the point of the old crossover. It finds the -3 dB point of the speaker *in the room*. It EQ's to that point and not below, because it would need to boost below that frequency.

To the OP, you can raise a crossover point without any problem with Audyssey. However, lowering a crossover has the penalty I describe above. With your speakers, I would do what Shamus said: raise the CC to 80 Hz, raise the LPF of the LFE to 120 Hz, (this is a low pass filter that is applied just to the LFE channel; it doesn't affect any of the re-directed bass), and make the changes he recommended to the sub.

Once you've changed the phase and turned the volume down on the sub, you'll need to re-run Audyssey.

I would not change the level settings of the rear speakers. The rears are matrixed from the side surrounds. The intention is for you the hear things image between the sides and the rears. Therefore, you should virtually never hear the rears as a "discrete" sound source. From your description of how they currently sound, I think Audyssey has set them correctly.

Craig

Lombardi said it:
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

My System

post #10 of 13 Old 04-19-2008, 09:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john View Post

This isn't quite right. If you lower the crossover below what Audyssey found, it won't "remove" all the filters. It will still filter the bass at the new crossover frequency and send it to the subwoofer; it just won't EQ below the point of the old crossover. It finds the -3 dB point of the speaker *in the room*. It EQ's to that point and not below, because it would need to boost below that frequency.

To the OP, you can raise a crossover point without any problem with Audyssey. However, lowering a crossover has the penalty I describe above. With your speakers, I would do what Shamus said: raise the CC to 80 Hz, raise the LPF of the LFE to 120 Hz, (this is a low pass filter that is applied just to the LFE channel; it doesn't affect any of the re-directed bass), and make the changes he recommended to the sub.

Once you've changed the phase and turned the volume down on the sub, you'll need to re-run Audyssey.

I would not change the level settings of the rear speakers. The rears are matrixed from the side surrounds. The intention is for you the hear things image between the sides and the rears. Therefore, you should virtually never hear the rears as a "discrete" sound source. From your description of how they currently sound, I think Audyssey has set them correctly.

Craig

Okay...

Actually, when I changed the phase from 180 to 0 on the sub and lowered the volume setting on it to 1/2 way and re-ran Audyssey, the LPF of LFE setting went to 120 automatically from Audyssey. It also changed the sub to +2db though so I think 1/2 setting for volume on the sub is too low and I adjusted it to about 3/4 of the way (also due to the fact I like above-average bass levels).

I left the center at 80 and other recommendations. I suppose I'll leave them then. I thought I read lower settings were better still though. But if Audyssey selects the settings it does and you guys say it should be trusted 100% or, if anything, adjusted a little higher but certainly not lower, than I suppose you must be right.

post #11 of 13 Old 04-19-2008, 11:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurleyjj View Post

I'm not an expert at this, but as I understand it, a speaker may be capable of certain frequencies on the low end, but the frequency curve may show it already tapering off. I think speaker manufacturers sometimes stretch the truth a bit as to how low speakers will go. If your speakers will go down to 60hz, it's a good idea to set the sub crossover point to 80, because the speakers may have already started tapering-off around 80. Just because your speakers can reproduce down to 60hz doesn't mean that they are doing 60hz at a level equal to the output they can do at 80hz, 100hz, 200hz, or whatever. Look at some speaker graphs (see link below) and you'll understand what I mean.

Also, I hear a lot of people don't like choosing a higher crossover number like 120 because above 80 to 100 is where you can start to notice where the bass is coming from. Bass around and below 80 or so is "non-directional" I believe they say -- meaning that you can't sense where it's coming from. Above that, you might be able to tell it's coming from the sub, which is not good for the listening experience.

Here is some good reading: http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messa...79/131062.html

"Any reviewer that didn't rail against this [Young Guns Blu-ray encode] should be sued, and Lionsgate should be ashamed of themselves. " - msgohan
post #12 of 13 Old 04-20-2008, 07:09 AM

hurleyjj. You would get a lot more responses if you addressed this in the "official Audyssey" thread........
post #13 of 13 Old 04-20-2008, 08:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherby View Post

hurleyjj. You would get a lot more responses if you addressed this in the "official Audyssey" thread........

In fact, the relevant answers are already there.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page