Looking for an informed recommendation. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 04-21-2008, 10:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am looking at ether Denon, Pinoneer Elite, Yamaha, or Onkyo receiver. It seems that the forum's most vocal members prefer the Onkyo's. I am looking at spending about 1000-1500 for a receiver (don't have speakers yet; will get them next).
Are there any recommendations among the manufactures listed?
If you do recommend one what sets it apart from the others?
The system will be mostly for movies and video games. The inputs will be ps3, and xbox 360.
Thanks for your help. I love watching this forum.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 04-21-2008, 11:07 PM

Personally, I like the sound of Yamaha receivers. But, I've never spent anywhere near that budget on an AVR (most spent was $350 on a used unit). I've had two Yamahas, Pioneer, Cambridge Audio, HK and a Denon over the last 20 years. Partial to the Yamahas, but would gladly pick up another Cambridge if they weren't so expensive over here. Cambridge stuff did a great job with music and HT. Yamahas are best sounding for 5.1 stuff to my ears in this low end of the spending range.

-comixguru
post #3 of 3 Old 04-21-2008, 11:13 PM

I have an Onkyo 705 that I got for $550. For the price, its perfect. but for $1500, i would totally spring for the Denon 3808CI. maybe even the Onkyo 875 if you are crazy about the THX cert.

I personally like the User Interface on the Onkyo and it works great with my harmony 880.

I have had absolutely zero problems with my 705. setup was a breeze and I have no handshake issues. Lip sync works flawlessly with HDMI audio syncing. I have a TIVO series two, xbox elite, and oppo 983. I upconvert the signal from the TIVO and use pure audio for the xbox and dvd since the dvd is made to upconvert. all signals are output through HDMI to my TV, and of course speaker wire to my 5.1
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page