Drive audio to amp wirelessly? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 04-29-2008, 07:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello All,

I posted this in the wrong forum (Speakers) and thought i would get more attention here. I tried to search but I think I am missing the correct terms. I have a new place that was wired for speakers throughout... albeit a bit oddly. There are eight speakers home-run to a closet, then the surround sound speakers and TV/DVD equipment is home-run to a different area separated by a living room (approx 10 feet). Is there a way to put an an amplifier to drive the eight speakers while using the main receiver to source the sound? I do not have the ability to run RCA cables from the receiver to the place where the eight speaker wires are run.

I would look at Sonos but it is a bit pricey for the application. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-29-2008, 08:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 91
It might be simplest just to move the receiver to the closet. You can get a remote control "extender" to send the remote control to the receiver (I used to have a product called a Leapfrog which worked well.)

Of course you would have to move your source equipment along with it, which could be a pain for switching DVDs and such.

A good place for this question might be a home theater forum, where people routinely seem to have equipment racks in less than convenient locations.

"But this one goes up to 11"
post #3 of 9 Old 04-29-2008, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Maybe the setup isn't entirely odd. They may have made the (not unusual) assumption that you don't want the home theater sound going into the whole house, so it's setup to have HT in one area, and music in another. Typically the whole house source would be setup to be used in the TV area as well.

Are you sure there isn't any wire running from the whole house closet to the TV closet that might be intended to be the whole house audio source? IF there is, you could hook it up to run the source either way.

And are you sure you can't run some wire in an attic, basement, air duct, etc?

The other major wireless music source is the Squeezebox Duet, but that's and the Sonos are really about much more than what you need.
post #4 of 9 Old 04-29-2008, 08:28 AM

What is your audio source? If it's a computer, some of the JVC digital receivers stream audio via a USB dongle to the receiver, so you can have the audiio source away from the receiver without using a long cable run.

I personally have a JVC RX-D702B (http://av.jvc.com/product.jsp?modelI...athId=5&page=2), and it is a terrific unit. I have to sell it however due to it's lack of 1080p (it only does 1080i) switching via HDMI, since I seem to be collecting more and more HDMI enabled goodies for my new 1080p projector. I will really really miss it though, especially the wireless audio streaming. I've actually been racking my brain to figure out how to get music to a new receiver that doesn't have this fantastic option.

If you need a good gently used RX-D702B, let me know.
post #5 of 9 Old 04-29-2008, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman View Post

It might be simplest just to move the receiver to the closet. You can get a remote control "extender" to send the remote control to the receiver (I used to have a product called a Leapfrog which worked well.)

Of course you would have to move your source equipment along with it, which could be a pain for switching DVDs and such.

A good place for this question might be a home theater forum, where people routinely seem to have equipment racks in less than convenient locations.

I thought of that and like the idea, the problem is that there is no ability to run the TV cable to the closet.
post #6 of 9 Old 04-29-2008, 09:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzy_ View Post

Maybe the setup isn't entirely odd. They may have made the (not unusual) assumption that you don't want the home theater sound going into the whole house, so it's setup to have HT in one area, and music in another. Typically the whole house source would be setup to be used in the TV area as well.

Are you sure there isn't any wire running from the whole house closet to the TV closet that might be intended to be the whole house audio source? IF there is, you could hook it up to run the source either way.

And are you sure you can't run some wire in an attic, basement, air duct, etc?

The other major wireless music source is the Squeezebox Duet, but that's and the Sonos are really about much more than what you need.

Agree with your assessment that it may not be odd, the part that gets me is that it is a two bedroom condo in a six unit vintage building in Chicago. There just is not a lot of space so requiring two separate audio systems seem like overkill. If I was in a 3000SF house I could understand, not a 1500SF condo.

I have talked to the wiring guy and there is no connection nor a way to create one. Since the building is vintage and the condo unit in on the top floor there is no attic so no way to run a cable.
post #7 of 9 Old 04-29-2008, 09:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishfullthinkng View Post

What is your audio source? If it's a computer, some of the JVC digital receivers stream audio via a USB dongle to the receiver, so you can have the audiio source away from the receiver without using a long cable run.

I personally have a JVC RX-D702B (http://av.jvc.com/product.jsp?modelI...athId=5&page=2), and it is a terrific unit. I have to sell it however due to it's lack of 1080p (it only does 1080i) switching via HDMI, since I seem to be collecting more and more HDMI enabled goodies for my new 1080p projector. I will really really miss it though, especially the wireless audio streaming. I've actually been racking my brain to figure out how to get music to a new receiver that doesn't have this fantastic option.

If you need a good gently used RX-D702B, let me know.

The sources are radio, CD (I know, old), and an IPOD. I can simply purchase all of these components to be in the closet but I thought I could avoid having a totally separate audio system.

Thanks for the offer but I think I will pass
post #8 of 9 Old 04-29-2008, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsts2k View Post

I thought of that and like the idea, the problem is that there is no ability to run the TV cable to the closet.

What about a Slingbox?

"Nature Abhors a Vacuum Tube" -  J. R. Pierce
post #9 of 9 Old 04-29-2008, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehlarson View Post

What about a Slingbox?

Thats driving the complexity much higher than I wanted... I thought it would be possible to send the audio output wirelessly to an amplifier in the closet reducing the number of touch points where things can go wrong. I would like this to be a simple as possible. If it becomes a lot of technology I suppose I will simply purchase a separate audio receiver and drive the speakers through that.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page