Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #31 of 55 Old 05-18-2001, 05:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am a bit disappointed with all the knowledgable folks here that no one has brought up the issue of associated equipment!!?? All B&W speakers are especially sensitive to everything front end of them. Any amp comparison without the best processor (AVP/HTS), best CD transport (the PMDT is definitely one of the top ones) and the very best cables is meaningless. Only then will the tight control of the low end, and the open airy quality of a Krell show thru. As I have maintained throughout years on this forum, the Krell/B&W combo is one of the best matches going. Sorry to come down so hard, but without the very best between the amp and speakers, comparisons of amps in my opinion are simply not valid.
-rick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 55 Old 05-18-2001, 07:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally posted by MAB:

BTW, Krell does not have territorial restrictions as I could order anything out-of-state and not pay sales tax.
Hmmm... MAB, I don't think that is true, at least not the last time I looked into buying a Krell product. I talked with two different dealers (one in state, and one out of state) about 4 months ago and was told that Krell does indeed have a territorial restriction for their dealers. I would strongly advise that you re-confirm that your warranty is still valid without trying to send the unit back to your out-of-state dealer.

post #33 of 55 Old 05-18-2001, 08:42 PM
Advanced Member

Congratulation MAB! I believe you very eager to get your 200a/5 (TAS) delivered a.s.a.p.
You seem to have blown your budget quite a bit though. How much damage is a TAS in the U.S? Is it actually possible to get it delivered with less then five channels?

------------------
BR /// Rob

[This message has been edited by bmwrob (edited 05-18-2001).]

BR /// Rob
post #34 of 55 Old 05-18-2001, 08:54 PM
KBK
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I've seen Bryston amps go out to them with a minor problem, and come back as completely new amps, and the amp in question is only 12 years deep into the warranty. This is because Bryston sees it as...'An amplifier they are NEVER going to see again'. No further repairs required, EVER.

What used to happen, as they where switching to the newer units, is they would change the transformers, caps and circuit boards... basically, a new amp put in your old chassis. Can you argue with that? I don't think so. You would think that the costs would blow the company's viability out of the water, but no. You have to see it with the right eyes. If they fix it like that.. they have a LOUD supporter for life. And, they have a amplifier they will never have to service again. The parts are a write off on their expenses... It's a win-win-win situation all around. It's actually incredible promo, great expense write off, and the best customer service possible. can't beat that with a stick.

Way to Jim! Keep it up guys!

------------------
goosystems.com

Ken Hotte
kbk@cyberfreak.dhs.org

[This message has been edited by KBK (edited 05-18-2001).]

Ken Hotte

"Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream." -- Malcolm Muggeridge.
post #35 of 55 Old 05-18-2001, 09:14 PM - Thread Starter
MAB
AVS Special Member

jstwong,

I think I was not clear on my previous post.
I bought my unit from a local dealer (Sound by Singer), not out-of-state. So everything is fine. I was not going to do a mail order for this amount of money.

However, the original item I was looking into, KAV-250/3, was ready to ship to me from a Krell authorized dealer in MA. They have emailed me to confirm that it is available for sale and ready to ship. They even have it on ebay. So I figured there is no zone restriction on Krell. I may be wrong on this. Or maybe because the item was discontinued, who knows..

But, it is old story now as I am happy to start a relationship with my local dealer.
post #36 of 55 Old 05-18-2001, 09:29 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm one of the rare people that actually had to pay for a Bryston repair. It's true, of course my 4B was 22 years old at the time, and what I got back was essentially a brand new amplifier, so I'm not complaining too loudly!

Bryston amps are rugged, solid and reliable. The warranty is transferrable, which ads to the resale value.

Each successive circuit (the NRB and the ST) were great steps forward, and the Brightston nickname is pretty much restricted to the earlier models.

So, my vote, Bryston.

Regards,

------------------
---
Contributing Writer,
Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity

Contributing Editor & Surround Music Reviewer Widescreen Review
Opinions are mine, not the publication I write for.
post #37 of 55 Old 05-19-2001, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter
MAB
AVS Special Member

Thank you very much for the support.

bmwrob, I called Krell to asked them if I could get it with only 3ch but they said that it is 5ch configuration only.
Yes I stretched the budget a little more, but I figured investing now in a good 5ch instead of 3ch will save me more money down the road.

Now it is time for the pre/pro. But I must wait and see what the AV192R will offer.

post #38 of 55 Old 05-19-2001, 09:06 PM

MAB:

Quote:
That explains the extremely good sonic characteristics of the KAV-200a/5. It is really something better than the last 5ch, KAV-1500.
Congrats on the Krell, I think you will like it a lot, although I don't know what all the other gear is you are pairing it up with. Just to let you know, you may have confused some information about the Krell amps. The model KAV-1500a is their top line reference 5 channel amp, then your model, the KAV-200a. Their last 5 channel amp was the KAV-500 and that I believe is the model you were referring to. Yes, your model does have several sonic improvments over the KAV-500 which is discontinued. Their top line 5 channel remains the KAV-1500a which came out last year. To step above that you would have to go with FPB 300/600 series monoblocks.

I think you will really enjoy it a lot and am glad everything worked out for you in the end.

Regards,

Jeff

------------------
Come visit our new theater site at: www.AudioVideoForum.com

Regards,

Jeff
post #39 of 55 Old 05-19-2001, 09:51 PM
Advanced Member

TheaterJeff,
As far as I know both the KAV-500 and 1500 are discontinued! The TAS or 200a/5, which it was called briefly, is their only 5-channel amplifier.

If I'm right, I believe Krell must have broken some kind of record in shortest life span of an amplifier. The KAV-250cd/2 has the same record amongst CD players.

------------------
BR /// Rob

BR /// Rob
post #40 of 55 Old 05-19-2001, 10:37 PM - Thread Starter
MAB
AVS Special Member

Hmmm. I wonder what front label will mine have.
TAS or KAV-200a/5?
post #41 of 55 Old 05-20-2001, 03:05 AM
Advanced Member

MAB, rumors has it that the TAS, should be upgradeable to 7 channels in the future, which was one of the reason I guess they changed name on the unit. One you receive yours, maybe you can let us know if there are space for 2 more extra channels.

------------------
BR /// Rob

BR /// Rob
post #42 of 55 Old 05-20-2001, 08:07 AM

bmwrob:

Nope, the KAV-1500a 300 watt/channel is still around (unless something has changed reciently), it just underwent a re-design like the HTS and other gear. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif Some were confused about all this re-structuring they did. The KAV-500, KAV 250a 2 and 3 channel, some of thier CD decks and intigrated amps were discontinued (but still supported). Basically, they still use a lot of the same parts. Also, the KAV-1500 now has the new look cage to it but remains in full production the last I heard. I'll be talking with them soon and will find out for certain. The step down from it is the "theater amplifier standard" which is the 5 channel 200 watt version.

Happy listening,

Jeff

------------------

[This message has been edited by TheaterJeff (edited 05-20-2001).]

Regards,

Jeff
post #43 of 55 Old 05-20-2001, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Hey, all the Krell amps are top notch. Giving the nod to the FPB series of course.
-rick
post #44 of 55 Old 05-20-2001, 08:41 AM - Thread Starter
MAB
AVS Special Member

TheaterJeff,

Can you point me where I can see the redesigned KAV-1500a on the web? I can not see any reference to it on Krell's site. Also I have seen it discounted from $8,500 to $5,999 recently.
post #45 of 55 Old 05-20-2001, 11:37 AM

You will not see a reference to the kav-1500 because it does not exist. The 250a/250a3 and 1500 are all discontinued. Actually, Krell will make a 2 channel and a seperate 3 channel "new" kav amps but NOT a 300w 5 channel, that is incorrect. The Theater Amplifier standard is the only multichannel amp they will sell and it will be upgradeable to 7 channels in the future. There is room for 2 additional channels in the future. It was not built that way or even optioned that way until Krell implements there own 7 channel surround processor which will be in August.
post #46 of 55 Old 05-20-2001, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter
MAB
AVS Special Member

I thought so too.
post #47 of 55 Old 05-20-2001, 05:40 PM

MAB:

There are no pics right now of the new KAV-1500 because it's not out yet, only the theater standard amp. It will look the same as the rest of their product line now. Take a look at the theater standard amp for the design, the only difference is the power rating will be 300 watts/channel.

ericbee:

You are partly correct in what you state. The 1500 amp is not available at this time and those models you mentioned have been discontinued but will remain fully supported. There is however going to be a more powerful 5 channel amp that's 300 watts/channel just like the KAV-1500 model. As far as I know, it's still a go at this time. It will be the same design as the theater standard amp now but rated at 300 watts/channel instead. I'll be at Krell next month unless our meeting plan changes and will perhaps find out more then.

Also, there is no new processor, just an upgrade card coming for the HTS/HTS2 for the Digital EX, DTS ES support. They will offer an analog pass-through card at the same time for the HTS as well.

Regards,

Jeff

------------------

Regards,

Jeff
post #48 of 55 Old 05-20-2001, 09:26 PM

Your info about the HTS getting an upgrade is correct as is the es cards for both processors but, there will be no inclusion of a 300w 5 channel amp, I can assure you. Forgetting my word on it, why would Krell sell 2 different multichannel amps in the same lineup? They never had two 5 or more channel amps in their lineup before. Being that the Krell TAS will eventually get a 7 channel upgrade, why would they want to add another 5 channel when the current model can be ordered either way. Your info is incorrect, the KAV-1500 will be disco'ed and very soon, all of the Krell products will be supported forever so, that's not the issue. The 2 and 3 channel amps were on display at the HE show in NYC, no sign or talk of the "new" KAV-1500. Call tech support and ask them, they will tell you it isn't even in the thought stage.
post #49 of 55 Old 05-20-2001, 10:51 PM - Thread Starter
MAB
AVS Special Member

TheaterJeff,

Do you have any evidence of a different 300w/5 amp?

I would like to know as I can change my order now!

You are the only person in this forum to claim such information.
post #50 of 55 Old 05-21-2001, 11:18 AM

MAB:

Like I said, that information may have changed. That was the last I had heard from them about it, so it may have changed reciently. I do know for fact there was talk of a replacement 5 channel 300watt amp because their theater standard amp only used 200watt/channel. However, I don't know for certain this is going to happen and it may have changed. I know a few contacts over at Krell and will talk with Dan soon. This may have changed and they might have decided not to offer a more powerful amp than the 200watt/channel theater standard for now.

I would think the teater standard is the amp right now to go with, if you need something better or more powerfull then the FPB monoblocks would be advised.

Regards,

Jeff

------------------

Regards,

Jeff
post #51 of 55 Old 05-21-2001, 12:38 PM

The Bryston 9B is the only way to go right now unless you're going the monobuccobuck route.

Bryston => good
Most else => bad
post #52 of 55 Old 05-21-2001, 09:00 PM
rw

One interesting capability of the TAS: you can bridge the channels. I am using mine for center and surrounds only, so I use two bridged channels for 400w for the center, and one channel each for the surrounds, leaving one unused.

-- Rob
post #53 of 55 Old 05-24-2001, 01:17 PM
Advanced Member

Ericbee,
So you are saying that even the old HTS will get 5.1 analog by pass! Do you happened to know approx. how much the upgrade will cost?

------------------
BR /// Rob

BR /// Rob
post #54 of 55 Old 05-24-2001, 05:19 PM

bmwrob:

I know the guys at Krell quite well and yes, even the HTS will get the analog bypass card. Everything the HTS2 has now plus the new surround code/card upgrade can be had on both units. Actually, there is no difference as I've already stated in the two other than the new anlog bypass on the HTS2 and the case design. You can't change the case design on the HTS as it's machined different and the main board has drill holes in slightly different areas.

Both the analog card and surround EX/ES card will be out sometime late Summer or early Fall. Prices haven't been set yet, but here is what I hear floating around:

Analog card upgrade - approximate $900-1,000
Surround card, new code and EPROM - approximate $300-400

Like I stated, nothing official yet, but we will have a full spread on our site over at AudioVideoForum.com when everything is set. Also, we will have some of the first boards as well so you may want to check with us at that time for details.

Regards,

Jeff

------------------

Regards,

Jeff
post #55 of 55 Old 05-24-2001, 05:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rick:
Any amp comparison without the best processor (AVP/HTS), best CD transport (the PMDT is definitely one of the top ones) and the very best cables is meaningless. Only then will the tight control of the low end, and the open airy quality of a Krell show thru. As I have maintained throughout years on this forum, the Krell/B&W combo is one of the best matches going. Sorry to come down so hard, but without the very best between the amp and speakers, comparisons of amps in my opinion are simply not valid.
-rick
Well, Rick, I guess I disagree somewhat. While I've got Krell Amps and Aerial speakers, I've had several processors and transports inbetween them, both high end and mid-level, and I'm convinced that the emphasis on the transport section and (don't get me started) on the cables is generally overstated.

Most amplifiers have their own "signature" on the soundfield, and you will notice it whether you're using a Meridian transport or CD changer. I know because I've used both. And you will notice it whether you're using thousands of dollars in speaker cables and interconnects, or just a run-of-the-mill Monster Cable.

Nick http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/cool.gif
Closed Thread Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page