How much is Dolby-HD worth? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 05-01-2008, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Looking at new receivers & wondering how much premium I should pay for the latest codecs -- the question boils down to:
Sony's new 920 (very nice low price-point) vs.
refurb Marantz 8001 (high end sound, specs, but no HD codecs; 2x Sony cost)
vs. Marantz 8002 (the whole shebang, but 3x Sony cost).

I'm not a supreme audiophile, but admittedly a tech junkie so that not having the latest & greatest might irk a bit. I have a 5.1 setup, am looking to upgrade my receiver to a new HDMI-capable box (have 3-4 inputs - A35 HD-DVD player, Sat box, HTPC, possibly DVD or later game console).

I have that Sony STR-DG920 on order now, got a great price in recent pre-order deal discussed in Sony thread, but am torn about whether to go more high-end. if I do cave to high-end appeal, was looking at Marantz 8001/8002 in particular, where there is very nice price on refurb former top-line 8001s available. I'm struggling over whether Dolby HD audio codecs in the most recent 8002 are worth the $500 or so hike compared to an 8001, if I did move high-end. The Sony theoretically does all the new codecs, but I understand is not in same league as Marantz...

Youse guys are the pros - what do you think?

Thanks,
Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 05-01-2008, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Well if you get a blue ray/Hd DVD player that decodes DD HD and DTS-MA internally you can stick w/ the Sony. Think PS3

PSN: Zetram00
MGO: Tez $$
post #3 of 10 Old 05-01-2008, 02:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hard call.

I still hook the vast majority of people up via the optical connection. So no true access to lossless for them.

The fact you actually know what lossless audio is certainly already makes it worth more for you than those I hook up with optical.
post #4 of 10 Old 05-01-2008, 02:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I'm leaning towards the STR-DG920 myself, but there's so many Sony bashers here it's making me nervous. I don't have the best speakers, but I have what I consider 5 good ones and 2 that are decent so I'm planning on swinging the 7.1 setup when I finish my basement. I'd like my new AVR to last a few years, and the current Sony that I have now has lasted me close to 10 years with no complaints. I plan on watching movies on my PS3 and 47" LCD mainly. I was going to pull the trigger on the Yammy 663, but I don't really care for the video clipping, or the 2 HDMI ports. While 2 would be ok for now (I have 2 on my TV) you know that down the road you'll want more and then you need a switch, and sometimes there's handshaking issues with a switch.
post #5 of 10 Old 05-01-2008, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick thoughts! JD, I've enjoyed reading your posts on the Marantz threads, a big part of the reason they're tempting me
post #6 of 10 Old 05-01-2008, 02:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I've hooked a couple of 910's for people here in my office.

Overall? I have to give them a thumbs up. But don't expect the 2nd comming here, this is a lower end piece with over all average fidelity at best.

If you really like it loud, I'd say go for a higher end piece. But for most more casual owners, they are really quite nice and the owners are duely impressed with them.
post #7 of 10 Old 05-01-2008, 03:01 PM

Any reason for narrowing to these 2 particular AVRs?

Have you looked at Onkyo 705? You can get it brand new under 5 bills from an authorized dealer (6ave)

I am sure that there are other AVRs as well at a lower price point than the Marantz offering nearly the features of Marantz.
post #8 of 10 Old 05-01-2008, 03:05 PM
Advanced Member

SR7001 refirb? I know I looked at it it was a pretty good deal.

Don't mind all the bashers it is 99% opinion
post #9 of 10 Old 05-01-2008, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter

Couple reasons for narrowing to these - the Sony was feature-sick at a low price point; the Marantz idea is more an outgrowth of these forums, and sound like a very high-end product at a decent value. Number of HDMI inputs is also a constraint, and I'll put this in a cabinet (will vent as much as possible, but models with known heat issues scare me because of this). Looked at the Onkyo 705, 805, and 8-something else, and all looked pretty nice but suffer heat issues, fewer HDMI inputs. Denon and Yamaha are a bit stingy with the HDMI inputs until you get to the top-end, and the Marantz impresses me there. On the Marantz(es?), I did see some great prices on the refurb 7001, but the prices on the refurb 8001 were not much higher, so if I jump that way, I'd probably spring for the extra $200 to get the slightly better power & build elements in the 8001.

Thanks for all the good feedback, folks!
post #10 of 10 Old 05-01-2008, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 51
My vote is for the sr8001 and a Blu-ray player that can do the decoding (PS3 now, many more in coming months); if I had budget today that is exactly what I would do (but I might consider the new 8001 for $1K instead of refurb at $800).

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page