Is there something wrong with my amp - Bryston? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 04-30-2001, 08:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I recently purchased a used Bryston 3B-ST amplifer and have noticed an oddity regarding the clipping indicators on the amplifier as follows:

When playing music at moderate volume (not ear-spliting - but not "soft" either) the "right" channel clipping indicator will flash (indicates clipping)occasionally. (Unbalanced connectors.)

To check to see if it was the speakers, or amp, or interconnects, or source, I changed the speakers left for right - same result. I changed the inputs right for left - same result. I changed the preamp - same results. I changed the music - same results.

I changed the speakers - same results:

First speakers: Dynaudio Audience 82's - 4 Ohm - 86 dB Sens.
Second speakers: Ruark Prologue One's - 8 Ohm - 89 dB Sens.

The amp is rated at 120 wpc into Ohms and 200 wpc into 4 Ohms and tested out at 151 wpc into 8 Ohms.

The uneven clipping is what has me puzzled.

Thanks,
Mike

"A banker: the person who lends you his umbrella when the sun is shining and wants it back the minute it rains" - Mark Twain
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2001, 04:09 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I have a 4B-ST and a pair of 7B-ST's and have never heard them clip.
If they were to clip, I would not be able to hear it anyway as I would be deaf by then.

I will suggest the obvious, and recommend you send it in for repair.
Here is a link to the Bryston Service Centres.

http://www.bryston.ca/service.html

Fortunately for you, Bryston is THE BEST company when it comes to warranty and repair. 20 years, user transferable, reciept not required.

- Andy
Old 04-30-2001, 04:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Andy Lammer:
I have a 4B-ST and a pair of 7B-ST's and have never heard them clip.
If they were to clip, I would not be able to hear it anyway as I would be deaf by then.

I will suggest the obvious, and recommend you send it in for repair.
Here is a link to the Bryston Service Centres.

http://www.bryston.ca/service.html

Fortunately for you, Bryston is THE BEST company when it comes to warranty and repair. 20 years, user transferable, reciept not required.

- Andy
</font>
Andy,
What is the difference in sound between 4B and 7B? Do you hear the difference?
Just curious since I have the 4BST.
Old 04-30-2001, 04:30 PM
Advanced Member

Mike, I agree with Andy. Send your 3B ST in. I'm using a 4B ST with my B&W Nautilus 804s. The only time I was ever able to get my 4B ST to (visibly) clip was when my 804s weren't broken in yet. After they had 50 or so hours on them, there's no way I could get the clipping indicators to flash without destroying my hearing.

Lynn

Lynn Olan Little
Old 04-30-2001, 06:03 PM
pmf
Advanced Member

The 4B is 250W/ch stereo and 7B is 500W/ch monobloc amp. I agree you should at least e-mail or call Bryston for the problem and see what they suggest. My pair of 7B's been doing their job dutifully without a glitch even after an attempt to destroy them once by me switching between balanced & unbalanced without turning them off. All I got was a blast of noise coming out of the speaker then they just went back to work without missing a beat and luckily my speakers were okay. Do you realize how long a 20 year warranty is?

PF
Old 04-30-2001, 08:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Thanks.

I e-mailed Bryston and they recommended that I send the unit in for a checkup. The one caveat (besides the shiping cost to Vermont, which I did know about) is the $25 fee for them to provide a new box for the unit. I had two choices - they send me the box and I send the unit in for repair, or I use my own box and they charge me a $25 fee for the box for the return shipping. I figured it would be easier to have them send me the box up front.

The moral of the story - Keep the original box and shipping contents!

What I am really looking forward to is my new Dynaudio Contour 1.3SE's that I should have at the end of this week or early next week! My Arcam 8R intergrated will have to serve as the amp, instead of just the preamp, for a while until the Bryston returns for service.

Thanks,
Mike

"A banker: the person who lends you his umbrella when the sun is shining and wants it back the minute it rains" - Mark Twain
Old 05-25-2001, 07:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Good News!

Sent the amp to Bryston, the clipping indicator was out of adjustment. They readjusted the indicators.

I got the amp back yesterday, hooked it up, and let her fly. Impressive service, sent the amp on the 14th, they got it on the 18th, fixed it on the 18th, sent it back on the 18th, and I received it on the 24th.

Wow! No clipping indication anymore! I turned the music up as loud as I wanted to and only SWEEEET sounds from the speakers. Vilvaldi, Krall, Clapton, Joel, Alabama, Earle, and AC/DC never sounded any better! (I have diverse tastes).

I can highly recommend the Bryston 3B ST / Dynaudio Countour 1.3SE combination.

Thanks,
Mike

Old 05-25-2001, 07:32 AM
Advanced Member

Bryston is one of those rare companies that realizes the importance of customer service & exceptional quality. It's a great feeling to know that I can really DEPEND on my 4B ST to serve me for 20 years...

Lynn

Lynn Olan Little