Comcat cable box with Denon AVR-1908 handshake? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 05-04-2008, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all,

First time posting so I will apologize in advance if I post in the wrong spot or ask a question answered in the short past. I recently picked up a Denon AVR-1908 for what I think is a decent price ($350) and am having a pretty hard time coming to terms with an issue. I had been trying everything I could think of to get it to speak to my cable box. I finally called Comcast support and was told that not all receivers work with their boxes. When digging deeper, all they could tell me was that sometimes the boxes speak to receivers and sometimes they don't and all I could do is just connect it right to the TV. pretty much, "TOO BAD SO SAD"!!! I was absolutely speechless to be honest. Maybe I am just a little new to this techno corner but the thought that I would go out and spend a good chunk of change on a mainstream unit that must be in thousands of homes around the country and just not be able to use it to watch television is crazy to me. I was told I would just have to plug it directly into my tv and when I need other components I would just have to unplug and plug in the next unit such as a PS3 or what have you as my plasma has only one HDMI port (god forbid!). I was then told it wasn't them but Intel who put the security fail safes in so they are not to blame. WHO'S NAME IS ON THE BOX!?!?! is my question! What kind of a half a#$ed answer is that? If intel came to the board meeting and said, "Hey guys! just finished up the last of the programing for your cable boxes but the people you rent them to won't be able to watch tv, should be able to start giving them to your techs to put in to homes in a few weeks...", I would THINK someone might have an issue with that, no!? Just thought I would vent for a second and just put it all out there and ask if someone that understands my point could maybe help shed some light on the matter. I guess it's possible I am just completely clueless and the answer is right there in front of me but after speaking with them yesterday and getting that answer I wouldn't be surprised if a 50 foot bowling ball rolled right by my window. So much for basing things on common sense as a starting point for deducing issues. Thanks in advance for getting this far and hopefully enlightening me.

Humbly,

ReeseC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 05-05-2008, 07:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Is this just a rant or are you asking for help here?

If asking for help..

Start by telling us how your system is connected up? In the worst HDMI incompatibility situation, generally you just will have go to a different connection type.

The box will usually offer two types of HD video connections (if it's an HD box), and a few different audio connections.

Generally it possible to hook the device up to the display for video and the AVR audio.

Many always hook up this way by choice as a matter of fact.

Installers are terrible though in general, I'd really get somebody over there with soem knowledge to help you sort it all out.
post #3 of 3 Old 05-05-2008, 01:06 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It sounds like you need the latest firmware upgrade to your Comcast Box. I had a heck of a time getting them to upgrade mine. They can only do it from the "head end" and they won't do it until the "head end" you are connected to has tested the firmware upgrade. Some people have returned their STB to comcast and got another one and it had updated firmware but they will not check the box before you get there. You could have a technician come out and bring some boxes with him. You can also verify what firmware your box has. This is a good place to start http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/How_to_...ing_your_model this will help you identify your box and then it will help you figure out which firmware is on it.

I had firmware 12.31 and I needed 12.35 to get the handshake to work from my STB to the receiver. It took a while and at one point I almost gave up. I ended up writing an executive complaint and within 1 week Richmond VA all had a firmware update since they can't just upgrade one person at a time and my Receiver was able to act as the repeater. I really didn't want to file the complaint but Richmond Comcast left me no choice when they said that Richmond viewers weren't really interested in HD or HDMI repeaters and they had no plans of upgrading the firmware. On many occasions I had to explain what firmware was even to the techs.

That was over a year ago now Verizon FIOS is being installed in my house on Thursday so now I can get uncompressed HD instead of the compressed HD that Comcast sends out.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page