post #3361 of 9492 Old 09-29-2008, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by editguy View Post

I just hooked up my refurbished 606 the other day and am trying to get the configurations just right. These are the other components being used with it:

Samsung LN52A650 52-Inch 1080p 120Hz LCD HDTV
Panasonic DMP-BD30K 1080p Blu-ray Disc Player
JVC regionless DVD Player
DirecTV HR-22 DVR
Polk CS1 Center Channel Speaker
Polk Audio R50 Two-Way Floorstanding Loudspeaker
2 little KLH speakers for the back surrounds

I'm about 10 feet from the TV and speakers in an apartment. Initially with the Audessy setup everything sounded great. But last night when watching the Blu Ray of Daywatch I noticed that the dialogue would be very low but the rest of the audio (especially action scenes) would be loud enough to vibrate the place. Of course I don't want to disturb my neighbors so I turned the volume down, but the dialogue would practically be silent. I raised the center speaker's audio and that did help a little, but I'm still running into the problem of any low end sounds or heavy bass being too much and probably disturbing the people downstairs. If I ever get into a house, this won't be a problem, but at the moment are there any suggestions on how I could set up the speakers in the receiver so I can hear the dialogue, and the rest of the soundtrack clearly, but not rattle the whole apartment?

I'm certainly no audio expert but I'm pretty good at following instructions, if anyone could point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance

#1. Doomsday has a known issue with low dialogue, which has been discussed in the blu ray forum. The sound mix is great though.

#2. Check to make sure you're not suffering from the LPCM volume bug a few of us have noticed. Toggle the cinema filter and see if the volume, particularly from the center speaker jumps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3362 of 9492 Old 09-29-2008, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbeck77 View Post

I'm seriously considering this receiver. However, my display does not take a 1080p signal (720p or 1080i only). Can the upconversion be configured to output 720p?

yes. In the Hardware-->HDMI options.
post #3363 of 9492 Old 09-29-2008, 02:25 PM

Hi all!

I have been a lurker for awhile. This is my first post :-)

I am posting this request here instead of the classifieds forum because I thought it was an odd request that really doesn't fall into that category, so please don't scorn me if I was wrong!

The background to my problem is that I just got my Onkyo TX-SR606 last week. It was working flawlessly until yesterday when it just stopped working (for real, just pooped out, no light no nothing).

Now here is where my odd request comes in. I purchased the device from New Egg, and they have issued an RMA for the return of the device, but they require me to send it back in the original box. I, however, being a fool threw away the box. I now know the stupidity of doing that, no need to rub it in.

Please, is there anyone here who would mind me buying your box off of you? Perhaps for $20.00? Maybe someone who's warranty has already expired and longer need it? I will of course pay for shipping. My RMA is only good for 15 days, so if there are any takers I need to know as soon as possible.

Thanks!
post #3364 of 9492 Old 09-29-2008, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrinklefree View Post

#1. Doomsday has a known issue with low dialogue, which has been discussed in the blu ray forum. The sound mix is great though.

#2. Check to make sure you're not suffering from the LPCM volume bug a few of us have noticed. Toggle the cinema filter and see if the volume, particularly from the center speaker jumps.

It was Daywatch, not Doomsday. I did try toggling the filters (I read that on this board), but that didn't seem to help.

I did re-run Audyssey again as was suggested, and I had a similar issue with another movie on HBOHD. They dialogue was a little low until I raised the center, but the bass and low ends kind of rattled the place until I brought the volume way down. At one point, I was parked on CNN Headline and I got what started to sound like feedback. I changed the channel and it was gone. It's only been in operation a few days so I haven't tested many DVDs yet, just DirecTV.
post #3365 of 9492 Old 09-29-2008, 03:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Howdie guys, i have had my onkyo SR606 for like 3 months already , i love it, much better than my older ONKYO SR606 reciever,

I have a question guys, i just read somewhere that when running an HDMI cable from the PS3 into the reciever and then from the receiver's out to the TV, the SR606 applys some kind of adding of contrast , color and stuff like that UNLESS you turn of the setting in the reciever, can someone tell me which setting i need to make sure to turn off or whatever so that the reciever dosnt do any processing on the signal sent from the PS3?
post #3366 of 9492 Old 09-29-2008, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It was Daywatch, not Doomsday. I did try toggling the filters (I read that on this board), but that didn't seem to help.

I did re-run Audyssey again as was suggested, and I had a similar issue with another movie on HBOHD. They dialogue was a little low until I raised the center, but the bass and low ends kind of rattled the place until I brought the volume way down. At one point, I was parked on CNN Headline and I got what started to sound like feedback. I changed the channel and it was gone. It's only been in operation a few days so I haven't tested many DVDs yet, just DirecTV.

Oops my bad. I do know this is a problem with lots of movies because they're meant to be played at insane reference volume, with huge amounts of dynamic range. This is only an issue with me when playing movies later in the evening. Sometimes I'll switch to plain old Dolby Digital (bitstreaming form PS3) so I can enable the late night options on the 606 when it gets really late.

Another option is to simply bump up the center a few db's until you find what sounds right for you.
post #3367 of 9492 Old 09-29-2008, 04:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamonsasa View Post

Howdie guys, i have had my onkyo SR606 for like 3 months already , i love it, much better than my older ONKYO SR606 reciever,

I have a question guys, i just read somewhere that when running an HDMI cable from the PS3 into the reciever and then from the receiver's out to the TV, the SR606 applys some kind of adding of contrast , color and stuff like that UNLESS you turn of the setting in the reciever, can someone tell me which setting i need to make sure to turn off or whatever so that the reciever dosnt do any processing on the signal sent from the PS3?

The 606 will NOT manipulate your HDMi connection from the PS3. The only time you CAN play with the picture (using the hidden options) is if you're using the upscaler, but that only works with analog inputs like svideo, component, composite.
post #3368 of 9492 Old 09-29-2008, 04:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrinklefree View Post

Oops my bad. I do know this is a problem with lots of movies because they're meant to be played at insane reference volume, with huge amounts of dynamic range. This is only an issue with me when playing movies later in the evening. Sometimes I'll switch to plain old Dolby Digital (bitstreaming form PS3) so I can enable the late night options on the 606 when it gets really late.

im in an apartment also but i try not to think about the neigboors lol and i listen to blueray movies in pretty loud volume, i love it!!

can u answer the question that i asked above?

Btw guys, is the SR805 much better than our SR606?
post #3369 of 9492 Old 09-29-2008, 04:20 PM

I read that there was a Night Time filter or something so as not to disturb neighbors but it's only there if you DVD has a certain audio stream available (True HD maybe?). I scrolled through the filter options when playing the DVD and Night Time filter wasn't listed.
post #3370 of 9492 Old 09-29-2008, 04:31 PM
AVS Special Member

i think i found the setting where i tell the SR606 not to touch pixels, is it the OUTPUT RESOLUTION: it was set to AUTO, i set it to "through", is that it?

And also ZOOM Mode in the setup menu under HARDWARE should be set to "FULL" or "NORMAL"?
post #3371 of 9492 Old 09-29-2008, 04:33 PM

Hello all. Maybe this question has come up in past post's but I can not find anything that would help me in my situation. I have a txsr-606 and I am having a problem using the manual EQ settings. I used the auddessy2 cal but I am getting light distortion at high vocal points or high pitch sound FX. Is the onkyo pushing too much power to the center? Please help thank you.

My center channel specs are this:

Frequency Response 75 - 23 kHz +/-3dB
Recommended Amplifier Power 15 - 135 watts (RMS / Channel)
Components Chambered 1" Aluminum Dome, Dual 3-1/2" Elliptical Surround woofers
Impedance 8 ohms nominal / 4.5 ohms minimum
Useable Bass Response (-10db Anechoic) 75 Hz
Sensitivity (anechoic) 88dB
Sensitivity (2 speakers in a typical room) 91dB
Crossover Point 2.2kHz

System includes:
Sharp-Aquos-LC32D62U-32-Inch-1080p
Onkyo TXSR-606
Energy ACT6 Speaker sats
Energy Take LCR center
Klipsch RW 10D sub via Mseries sub cable W/ Mseries Yadapter
Toshiba HD-A30 via HDMI
Panasonic BD30-K via HDMI
Xbox 360 via HDMI
Z-line TV/Audio stand
post #3372 of 9492 Old 09-29-2008, 04:34 PM

Quote:

i think i found the setting where i tell the SR606 not to touch pixels, is it the OUTPUT RESOLUTION: it was set to AUTO, i set it to "through", is that it?

And also ZOOM Mode in the setup menu under HARDWARE should be set to "FULL" or "NORMAL"?

set it normal and res to through. It will set the res to what ever your tv can handle
post #3373 of 9492 Old 09-29-2008, 04:35 PM

i really close on pulling the trigger on this reciever over the tx-sr705. What made you guy choose the 606 over the other recievers?

Playstation Network ID# bolistik
post #3374 of 9492 Old 09-29-2008, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolistik View Post

i really close on pulling the trigger on this reciever over the tx-sr705. What made you guy choose the 606 over the other recievers?

For me it was cost. I worked at circuit city and got mine for 224 plus 15 shipping direct from onkyo Hee Hee
post #3375 of 9492 Old 09-29-2008, 04:40 PM

But also its a bang for your buck receiver. Several options @ low cost. But thats just Onkyo.
post #3376 of 9492 Old 09-29-2008, 04:50 PM

Quote:

I just hooked up my refurbished 606 the other day and am trying to get the configurations just right. These are the other components being used with it:

Samsung LN52A650 52-Inch 1080p 120Hz LCD HDTV
Panasonic DMP-BD30K 1080p Blu-ray Disc Player
JVC regionless DVD Player
DirecTV HR-22 DVR
Polk CS1 Center Channel Speaker
Polk Audio R50 Two-Way Floorstanding Loudspeaker
2 little KLH speakers for the back surrounds

I'm about 10 feet from the TV and speakers in an apartment. Initially with the Audessy setup everything sounded great. But last night when watching the Blu Ray of Daywatch I noticed that the dialogue would be very low but the rest of the audio (especially action scenes) would be loud enough to vibrate the place. Of course I don't want to disturb my neighbors so I turned the volume down, but the dialogue would practically be silent. I raised the center speaker's audio and that did help a little, but I'm still running into the problem of any low end sounds or heavy bass being too much and probably disturbing the people downstairs. If I ever get into a house, this won't be a problem, but at the moment are there any suggestions on how I could set up the speakers in the receiver so I can hear the dialogue, and the rest of the soundtrack clearly, but not rattle the whole apartment?

I'm certainly no audio expert but I'm pretty good at following instructions, if anyone could point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance

did you ever get an answer to you post?
post #3377 of 9492 Old 09-29-2008, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdems83 View Post

did you ever get an answer to you post?

There were a couple responses with things I already tried, like re-running Audyssey. But nothing specific.

Do you have a suggestion, or have you run into something similar?
post #3378 of 9492 Old 09-29-2008, 04:55 PM

Quote:

There were a couple responses with things I already tried, like re-running Audyssey. But nothing specific.

Do you have a suggestion, or have you run into something similar?

What do you have your settings @?
post #3379 of 9492 Old 09-29-2008, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

set it normal and res to through. It will set the res to what ever your tv can handle

Got it, so now the reciever is not touching pixels right?
post #3380 of 9492 Old 09-29-2008, 04:58 PM

Quote:

I'm at work right now, but if you could tell me which settings you'd like me to check, I'll post them when I get home tonight.

Thanks
post #3381 of 9492 Old 09-29-2008, 05:01 PM

Quote:

Got it, so now the reciever is not touching pixels right?

Right it should only be passing whats being output to what ever your display can handle.
post #3382 of 9492 Old 09-29-2008, 05:05 PM

Quote:

I'm at work right now, but if you could tell me which settings you'd like me to check, I'll post them when I get home tonight.

Thanks

Umm I guess all of them and I will make a comparison to mine to get a better idea. To me it sounds like the unit might be faulty. I went through one 606 that was very faulty. No pass through, not handshaking w/equp, over heating/smelling. And it was brand new. I returned it and I know for a fact it went back on the shelf as a open box item
post #3383 of 9492 Old 09-29-2008, 05:14 PM

Quote:

Thanks

Have you tried using the night mode??
post #3384 of 9492 Old 09-29-2008, 06:14 PM

I have a passive sub-woofer so I connect my sub-woofer to the front speaker connections. By doing this should I select "bi-amp" for my speakers or just have them as normal?

Is there any other option on the 606 that I should be doing as I'm using a passive sub-woofer. Should I tell the receiver that it has a sub-woofer even though I'm not using the Sub connector on the receiver?

Just wondering what my best option is. And yes I plan on getting a powered sub-woofer soon.
post #3385 of 9492 Old 09-29-2008, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Right it should only be passing whats being output to what ever your display can handle.

Alright , thanks man.

Is there any essential setting i should change to? like in the DOLBY D EX setting or something?

Btw im using a definitive technology speaker set(2 ProMonitor 1000s, 1 ProCenter 2000 and 2 ProMonitor 800s for the surrounds)

I have 2 EXTRA ProMonitor 800s coming on my way tommorow via UPS, i paid $240 for that pair, 7.1 is worth it right guys?
post #3386 of 9492 Old 09-29-2008, 06:42 PM

Quote:

Have you tried using the night mode??

Night Mode wasn't available. I read that the DVD has to have a specific audio stream to work (like True HD or something)
post #3387 of 9492 Old 09-29-2008, 07:21 PM

I just received an Onkyo refurb 606, and I can't get the calibration to work. No matter what I do, I get a message that ambient noise is too high.

I live about 500 yds from a highway, but it doesn't seem THAT loud. I tried unplugging all noise sources but still cant complete.

Anyone know how quiet it has to be for Audessy to function? I actually think the unit might be defective, but can;t rule out the sound if it needs like 40db or less ambient.

Thoughts?

Skeptic
post #3388 of 9492 Old 09-29-2008, 07:44 PM

for those ppl who use this receiver with the PS3,.. are you experiencing buzzing noises?

I plan on using this with my ps3 and hdtv but i hear many PS3 ppl are getting buzzing noises from the receiver.

Playstation Network ID# bolistik
post #3389 of 9492 Old 09-29-2008, 08:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolistik View Post

for those ppl who use this receiver with the PS3,.. are you experiencing buzzing noises?

I plan on using this with my ps3 and hdtv but i hear many PS3 ppl are getting buzzing noises from the receiver.

i dont... works beautifully with my PS3,

Oh and to the person above, Auddysey doesnt need too much quietness, my brother onces showered and i ran auddysey for the first time just to take it for a test drive and there were some noises coming from the shower and auddysey worked fine, i think the set is defective man..
post #3390 of 9492 Old 09-29-2008, 08:38 PM

Quote:

Here're my settings:

Speaker Settings

Speakers Type - Normal
Speaker Configuration: Center (full band), Surround (150Hz), Surround Back (none), LPF of LFE 100Hz)
Speaker Distance: Left (11ft), Center (11ft), Right (11ft), Surr Right (4ft) Surr Left (5ft)
Level Calibration: Left (-3db), Center (-2db), Right (-4db), Surr Right (-4db), Surr Left (-3db)
Equalizer Settings: Audyssey

Audio Adust

Multiplex Input CH (Main)
Mono Input CH (left + right)
PLIIx Music (2ch Input): Panorama (off), Dimension (0), Center Width (3)
Neo: 6 Music: Center Image (2)
Dolby EX (auto)
Theater Dimensional: Listening Angle (wide)

Source Setup

IntelliVolume: 0dB
A/V Synce: 0 msec

Listening Mode Preset
The settings for everything (DVD, SAT etc) are all set to Last Valid

I think that's the most important stuff. Here are the settings when I hit the Audio button on the Remote:

Bass: 0db
Treble: 0db
Dynamic EQ: On
M Optimizer: Off
A/V Sync: 0ms

If you need any other info, let me know.

Thanks
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page