The Onkyo TX-SR606 Owners Thread - Page 151 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #4501 of 9471 Old 12-01-2008, 03:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I use a single HDMI out to my TV. I have tried both the scaler in my TV and in the Onkyo, and in my situation the Onkyo does a better job. My TV doesn't have a very good scaler.

Although some people have found differently, if I set the HDMI setting to through, I don't notice any difference than bypassing the receiver directly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4502 of 9471 Old 12-01-2008, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiSmuggs View Post

Instead of Through, you could have a resolution set so that it upscales which doesn't work that well on the 606

Well, I just checked and my HDMI was set to THROUGH. I reconnected my component cable from the Comcast box to the 606 (606 to TV is HDMI) and can still see very subtle red/green sections scrolling up the screen that are not there when I connect the component cable directly from the box to my TV. Its as if the 606 cannot maintain the same red/green tint level for the whole height of the screen. It doesn't happen with my DVD or BR players, which are connected with HDMIs, just when the 606 is changing a component input to an HDMI output.

My component cable that comcast gave me is like 16' long though. I may get and try a 2', but I doubt that's the problem.
post #4503 of 9471 Old 12-01-2008, 04:28 PM

Help! I just got my sr606 and the remote has stopped working! I was trying to figure out how to program my tv remote, and got to a point on the on screen menu that had something to do with identifying remote ... can't remember what it said. I pushed few buttons and bam- killed the remote. i've tried to reset it acc. to the manual, but no dice. Has anyone else had this happen, any advice re: is it the remote, not the receiver, did i screw it up, should i get ready to send whole thing back? thanks for any and all replies.
post #4504 of 9471 Old 12-01-2008, 04:30 PM

weird- the remote will turn on zone 2 but not the receiver.
post #4505 of 9471 Old 12-01-2008, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smilindan View Post

Help! I just got my sr606 and the remote has stopped working! I was trying to figure out how to program my tv remote, and got to a point on the on screen menu that had something to do with identifying remote ... can't remember what it said. I pushed few buttons and bam- killed the remote. i've tried to reset it acc. to the manual, but no dice. Has anyone else had this happen, any advice re: is it the remote, not the receiver, did i screw it up, should i get ready to send whole thing back? thanks for any and all replies.

Mine did something like that too, until I pressed the "Receiver" button under Remote Mode on it.
post #4506 of 9471 Old 12-01-2008, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechFire007 View Post

Just got the buzz on the 606 Receiver, it occurs when I turn it on REGARDLESS of input, it simply has to be ON for the loud BUZZZ to occur. NOTE: The BUZZ occurs within/inside the AV Receiver, NOT the speakers, but inside the Receiver. There is no HUMM/BUZZ coming from the speakers but within the unit itself, as seen below, the problem presents itself when plugged in to a different grounded surge protectors and outlets (with no cables attached).

Tried to fix it by:

- turning of DigitalEQ, Audessey, Hard Reset - NO CHANGE
- Pulled out all the inputs/cables from the AV and simply turned it on - NO CHANGE
- Plugged Cable into different outlets/surge protectors- NO CHANGE

NOTE: Brightness/Dimness of lights were irrelevant to results - NO CHANGE
VOLUME was irrelevant - max/min/mute/med - NO CHANGE

It was absolutely perfect a few days ago - silent and working to complete satisfaction and now the buzz simply occurs and it is extremly annoying and will result in headaches when its turned on. What should I do - it says on the box this is the "B" version, will a replacement fix it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millerr View Post

It sounds broken. Return it!

Really, there is no other way - time lost, energy spent?!?

Love how Onkyo only pays for return-shipping
post #4507 of 9471 Old 12-01-2008, 05:02 PM

ok, i'm an idiot; reset the receiver and it's working again.
post #4508 of 9471 Old 12-01-2008, 05:05 PM

I've looked and I can't find where to set the HDMI to through.

Can someone point me in the right direction.

EDIT: Nevermind I found it:

setup > hardware setup > HDMI
post #4509 of 9471 Old 12-01-2008, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scamallite View Post

I've looked and I can't find where to set the HDMI to through.

Can someone point me in the right direction.

Look under Hardware Settings > HDMI
post #4510 of 9471 Old 12-01-2008, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowmaker View Post

Look under Hardware Settings > HDMI

Thanks...just found it.
post #4511 of 9471 Old 12-01-2008, 05:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by smilindan View Post

weird- the remote will turn on zone 2 but not the receiver.

You should read the manual carefully. The remote is a universal remote so... Whenever you select a device (DVD, VCR/DVR, CBL/SAT, GAME/TV, AUX, ZONE2, etc) the rest of the buttons on the remote now control that device... the exception being the volume control buttons (other than for Zone2). So you need to pre-program it for each of your devices first then when you select DVD for instance your buttons will now automatically control your DVD player... to get control over the reciever again, you must select Receiver as your device. Another example... to control Zone2, you need to activate it in the menu, then whenever you select the Zone2 button, the power and volume buttons will control Zone2... if you don't want Zone2 to remain ON (little red light), remember to turn it OFF before you go back to receiver (remember how to do this? by selecting Receiver button). Its a different sort of concept than what you might be used to but the convenience and logic becomes quickly apparent as soon as you program it for control of your devices and begin using it as the Universal remote its meant to be. If you find you have a device which doesn't have a code or not quite all the buttons work for a device you can purchase the remote for the 706 which has all the same functions for your receiver with the additional feature of being a learning remote also. This remote costs $35 from Onkyo. One remote to control everything... and it has the capability to program in 2 different macros. My wife loves it. If you need more than 2 macros then you should get a Harmony or a Pronto or something similar.

"For deep bass, the listener is not really listening to the speaker, but rather, is listening to the room as it is being played by the speaker."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4512 of 9471 Old 12-01-2008, 05:18 PM

I just picked up the TX-SR606 because I got an excellent deal on it. Anyhow, I do not have any speakers. I've read the speaker forums all weekend after ordering and I just keep coming full circle.

Can anyone recommend some speakers to try with this particular receiver? I don't have many audio shops locally outside of Frys, Best Buy and the other retailers. I'd like to start out with at least a 2.0 setup for the time being and would like to keep it $1000 or less for those two speakers.
post #4513 of 9471 Old 12-01-2008, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svoboda View Post

I'd like to start out with at least a 2.0 setup for the time being and would like to keep it $1000 or less for those two speakers.

I wish I could spend that much for ALL my speakers.
post #4514 of 9471 Old 12-01-2008, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowmaker View Post

I wish I could spend that much for ALL my speakers.

Do you have any recommendations? What are you using with this AVR?
post #4515 of 9471 Old 12-01-2008, 06:08 PM

Quote:

Nothing yet. I'm going for decent-sounding and affordable. Polk most likely.
post #4516 of 9471 Old 12-01-2008, 06:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Lots of speaker recommendations in the speaker thread. The 606 will drive almost all of them. Try to stay at 8 ohms though.
post #4517 of 9471 Old 12-01-2008, 06:59 PM

Good Luck. I am looking for speakers for this receiver also.

I was thinking about some Polks that were special on Amazon. I posted them in the polk file on the speaker board.
post #4518 of 9471 Old 12-01-2008, 07:22 PM

Quote:

The PS3 would have to bitstream TrueHD for the 606 to see it as such, but the PS3 can't do that so it outputs TrueHD via PCM as the 606 is reporting. You are still getting TrueHD.

Thanks. Just to share my speaker configuration. i think something ain't right.
Subwoofer - Yes
Front - 150Hz
Center - 150Hz
Surround - 150Hz

LPF of LFE - 100 HZ

again, any help is appreciated. also, do i need to re-configure manually my EQ setup?
post #4519 of 9471 Old 12-01-2008, 07:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edpacho View Post

Thanks. Just to share my speaker configuration. i think something ain't right.
Subwoofer - Yes
Front - 150Hz
Center - 150Hz
Surround - 150Hz

LPF of LFE - 100 HZ

again, any help is appreciated. also, do i need to re-configure manually my EQ setup?

You apparently have very small satellites. What would you change? Maybe bump the LPF of LFE up?
I'm not sure enough of how that works to know if that would make a difference.
post #4520 of 9471 Old 12-01-2008, 07:50 PM

Hi All,
I need help regardign Onkyo 606 screen display for HD audio.

My Blu-ray player is BD35 and Dolby-True HD and DTS-HD set to Bitstream and connected to Onkyo 606 in HDMI1.

1.When i play blu-ray movies with uncompressed Audio, Onkyo 606 displays PCM Multichannel..- Which is fine.

2. When i play blu-ray movies with Dolby-True HD Audio, Onkyo 606 displays only Dolby Digital symbol(red color) not the True HD display(I played IronMan,Kungfu panda and Enchanted). When i pressed Audio button in the panasonic remote it displays True HD multi ..

3. When i play blu-ray movies with DTS-HDMaster Audio, Onkyo 606 Displays only DTS Symbol(Red Color) and HD Master is not displaying.(Played Live Free Die Hard,Independence Day and The forbidden Kingdom). Panny 35 audio says HD-Master multi when i pressed audio button.

4. When i played blu-ray movie(Rush Hour 3) with DTS-HD Master 7.1 audio, Onkyo displays DTS(Red Color) HDMaster(RedColor).- I guess this is correct.

Is there any other setup do i need to do in either Onkyo 606 or panny 35 so that Onkyo displays True HD and DTS HDMaster correctly?

Thanks in Advance..

EDIT: I found the issue. It was setup in Panny BD35. I had to set BD Secondary Audio to OFF if panny is set to BitStream. Now my 606 displays all HD Audio correctly...I am very happy with this receiver.
post #4521 of 9471 Old 12-01-2008, 07:55 PM

Quote:

You apparently have very small satellites. What would you change? Maybe bump the LPF of LFE up?
I'm not sure enough of how that works to know if that would make a difference.

these number are calculated by the automatic setup. apparently, my satelites are not that small. i'm using infinity ts1200 with these specs:
Satellite
Frequency Range 120Hz - 30,000Hz (+/-3db)
Recommended Power Amplifier Range 10 - 125 watts
Sensitivity 89dB
Nominal Impedance 8 ohms
Crossover Frequency 3500Hz, 24dB/octave
Midrange Driver Dual 3-1/2" MMD, magnetically shielded
High-Frequency Driver 3/4" MMD, magnetically shielded
Dimensions
(H x W x D) 12-15/16" x 3-15/16" x 3"
(329mm x 100mm x 75mm)
Weight 3.9 lb (1.8kg)

Center Channel
Frequency Range 120Hz - 20,000Hz (+/-3dB)
Recommended Power Amplifier Range 10 - 125 watts
Sensitivity (2.83V @ 1m) 89dB
Nominal Impedance 8 ohms
Crossover Frequency 3500Hz, 24dB/octave
Midrange Driver Dual 3-1/2" MMD, magnetically shielded
High-Frequency Driver 3/4" MMD, magnetically shielded
Dimensions
(H x W x D) 3-15/16" x 13-3/16" x 3"
(100mm x 335mm x 75mm)
Weight 3.9 lb (1.8kg)

Subwoofer
Frequency Range 29Hz - 150Hz (+/-3dB)
Amplifier Power Output 250 watts RMS, 500 watts peak
Low-Frequency Driver 12" MMD
Crossover Frequency 50Hz - 150Hz, 24dB/octave
continuously variable

that's why i think something is amiss. any help?
post #4522 of 9471 Old 12-01-2008, 08:03 PM

Quote:

I just bought one and I'm waiting for it to arrive. I just ordered a pair of Energy C-500's, a pair of C-100's, a C-C50, and two pair of C-50's. I plan to sell the C-100's (they came as part of the package) and replace the C-C50 with a C-C100 that I already have.

Haven't heard this set yet, but I have had a set of Energy speakers for a few years now and I continue to be impressed. It's hard to beat the quality versus pricepoint on these speakers.

Go to wwstereo.com. The folks over there are great. You can also visit their Ebay store and take advantage of the Live.com MS cashback, which is now at 30%.

This is just one recommendation among the many that you might consider.

Steve
post #4523 of 9471 Old 12-01-2008, 08:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Edpacho,

Those are still small sats with a 3.5" mid-range. Even the specs say they only go down to 120hz. Audyssey called it at 150hz. Not that much difference. You can change the settings from 150 to 120 to see if it makes much difference.
You could also run Audyssey set up 2 or 3 more times to see if anything changes.

I have medium sats with 4" mids that go down to 100Hz and Audyssey nailed it.
post #4524 of 9471 Old 12-01-2008, 11:14 PM

Quote:

You could try boosting the center a few db. Is the center matched to the mains? Is the PS3 set up as described in previous posts to be sure it is outputting audio correctly?

Yes the center channel is matched to the mains (psb Image C60 center/ B25 mains). I have the ps3 set to output LPCM. Are there other settings on the ps3 I need to check on? Thanks for the help.
post #4525 of 9471 Old 12-02-2008, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdkingfish View Post

Yes the center channel is matched to the mains (psb Image C60 center/ B25 mains). I have the ps3 set to output LPCM. Are there other settings on the ps3 I need to check on? Thanks for the help.

I don't have a PS3, so I don't know, but the PS3 thread can surely help. The 606 can just be left at the defaults.
post #4526 of 9471 Old 12-02-2008, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by edpacho View Post

these number are calculated by the automatic setup. apparently, my satelites are not that small. i'm using infinity ts1200 with these specs:...

Audyssey simply 'calls it as it sees it'... you must remember that your specs represents the +/- 3 dB level (some manufacturer's use +/- 2dBs) in some testing environment (anechoic chamber maybe) but your "in-room" response will be a bit different depending upon the dimensions of your space, the location of your speakers and distance from a wall, corner, etc, the hardness or softness of the furnishings in the room, and more.... so the manufacturer's specs should only represent a general guideline for comparison to other speakers in the same manufacturer's line and not so much as a guarantee of any specific performance level in your own space. Remember that Audyssey is simply reporting what it 'hears' at the location you've placed the microphone, irrespective of any manufacturing specs...

Personally, I would trust the Audyssey calculations, but to do that you must be very careful in following the suggested recommendations in microphone placement procedures when using Audyssey... any mistake on your part can screw-up the results Audyssey computes and sometimes the error can be quite noticable. Also be sure to use a tri-pod with the mic or suffer the consequences of a bad 'read'... it should be noted that freq response is highly affected by the mic's immediate surroundings, thus do NOT place the mic directly on top of a small table or pillow or cushion in lieu of using a tri-pod, trust me, you will NOT be happy with the results.

"For deep bass, the listener is not really listening to the speaker, but rather, is listening to the room as it is being played by the speaker."

post #4527 of 9471 Old 12-02-2008, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by monomer View Post

Audessey simply 'calls it as it sees it'... you must remember that your specs represents the +/- 3 dB level (some manufacturer's use +/- 2dBs) in some testing environment (anechoic chamber maybe) but your "in-room" response will be a bit different depending upon the dimensions of your space, the location of your speakers and distance from a wall, corner, etc, the hardness or softness of the furnishings in the room, and more.... so the manufacturer's specs should only represent a general guideline for comparison to other speakers in the same manufacturer's line and not so much as a guarantee of any specific performance level in your own space. Remember that Audessey is simply reporting what it 'hears' at the location you've placed the microphone, irrespective of any manufacturing specs...
Personally, I would trust the Audessey calculations, but to do that you must be very careful in following the suggested recommendations in microphone placement procedures when using Audessey... any mistake on your part can screw-up the results Audessey computes and somtimes the error can be quite great.

Excellent post!!! Thanks
post #4528 of 9471 Old 12-02-2008, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by monomer View Post

Also be sure to use a tri-pod with the mic or suffer the consequences of a bad 'read'... it should be noted that freq response is highly affected by the mic's immediate surroundings, thus do NOT place it on a small table or pillow or cushion, trust me, you will NOT be happy with the results.

And how do you recommend taking the primary listening position reading? For most HT's, that's going to be on a cushion (on a tripod), with a cushion behind it.

TiVo is on it's way out -
!
post #4529 of 9471 Old 12-02-2008, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbMagFab View Post

And how do you recommend taking the primary listening position reading? For most HT's, that's going to be on a cushion (on a tripod), with a cushion behind it.

The mike screws onto the tripod. There is no need for cushions. You could also make a stand from scrap wood and tape the mike to it. Just be sure the mike is at head/ear level and that should be a few inches away from the sofa cushion.
post #4530 of 9471 Old 12-02-2008, 09:14 AM

In the 606 is there an area that
A. I can switch from large to small speakers
B. I can mannualy adjust the eq of each speaker.

I love the receiver and I know my speakers are good (Energy Take classic)
I just cannot get a good sound from them. I have tried Audyssey..
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page