Old 05-25-2008, 07:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by nydennis View Post

I have the 606 hooked up to my PS3. Playing a movie I have it set to 5.1 Uncompressed. I have set the playstation to Bitstream.

You cannot set the PS3 to bitstream. The PS3 does not bitstream TrueHD or DTS MA. You need do the decoding in the PS3 and run LPCM out. Then the 606 will say multichannel PCM, which is what you want.

-Greg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2008, 07:23 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhazard View Post

The Xbox 360's HDMI only passes 2ch, not 5.1. It was a pretty stupid move by Microsoft to me. You need to use optical for 5.1.

ummm. this isnt true at all. the Xbox HDMI is 1.2 spec, and passes 5.1
Old 05-25-2008, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angryht View Post

You cannot set the PS3 to bitstream. The PS3 does not bitstream TrueHD or DTS MA. You need do the decoding in the PS3 and run LPCM out. Then the 606 will say multichannel PCM, which is what you want.

to add to the above, PS3 cannot decode DTS MA and will only send DTS to the reciever if set to run PCM out...it can decode True HD.
Old 05-25-2008, 08:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by macho1 View Post

to add to the above, PS3 cannot decode DTS MA and will only send DTS to the reciever if set to run PCM out...it can decode True HD.

If you havent yet, upgrade the PS3's firmware. Firmware 2.30 and on can decode DTS-MA over PCM now.
Old 05-25-2008, 08:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by angryht View Post

does this also affect DD and dts on standard dvds? I just played LOTR dvd and it still shows multichannel on my 606 display even tho the audio track is DD. No way for the 606 to display dd or dts on the screen? Thanks
Old 05-25-2008, 08:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by the bartender View Post

ummm. this isnt true at all. the Xbox HDMI is 1.2 spec, and passes 5.1

Whoops, you're right. Originally it was my TV that wouldnt pass 5.1. The onkyo accepts DD 5.1 over HDMI just fine from the 360.
Old 05-25-2008, 09:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by macho1 View Post

No! No! No! The PS3 decodes both TrueHD and DTS MA (with the latest firmware) and then sends it (decoded) via LPCM to the receiver. That is the only way to get the high def audio formats from a PS3. The end.

-Greg
Old 05-26-2008, 09:37 AM

I have a question about the on screen display. From reading the manual and posts here I understand that the volume and current input are not displayed over the HDMI output at the same time it is displaying content (pass through only), however the unit setup is only displayed over the HDMI output.

I would have the unit in an equipment rack and would like to be able to see the current volume/mute and the current input it is on without having to walk to the rack.

What I could not tell is, while using the HDMI output, this information able to be displayed? Will it interrupt whatever you are watching and throw up a screen with this info on it?

If it does not, I was thinking I could use the svideo output and do a PIP on my TV. So, when it it is on an HDMI input going to HDMI out, what comes out of the svideo output? Would the volume and info be displayed on that?

Thanks...

CT
Old 05-26-2008, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smprather View Post

I should note that this requires a compliant ATI graphics card like my Sapphire 3450HD. (now why didn't those @&&holes include this dongle that I paid $6+$7-shipping for??? Don't you love paying more for shipping than the thing your buying costs?)

They did not include it because you bought an extreamly low end/cheap card. When I bought my 3870 for my main system and my 3850 for my HTPC it was included.

On a side note I thought that would only pass 2.0 sound and not the full 5.1? have you gotten 5.1 out of ATI's HDMI out?
Old 05-26-2008, 02:07 PM

I just got mine today and set it up.

I've got two issues:

1) The Wii is connected to Component Input 2. My receiver is connected via HDMI to my TV (Westinghouse 42" 1080p). The video from the Wii is outputting in widescreen (on my old Yamaha it worked flawlessly). But it's "squished" on my TV, it's a 16:9 image in 4:3 aspect ratio. The Wii's settings indicate it is a 16:9 TV output with HDTV/EDTV display, which makes sense since it works when directly connected via component to my TV and connected via component to my older Yamaha receiver. No matter what settings I choose on the Onkyo TX-SR606 I cannot seem to get it to fill the entire screen, just the box in the center. Any ideas?
Edit: If I choose 1080i this now works, albeit with big black borders...

2) I cannot turn on my receiver with the remote control? The receiver indicates it's in standby mode (the red light on the front next to standby is illuminated), but I cannot turn it ON from this state. I must physically press the unit to turn it on. I've tried this both with the supplied remote and a universal remote -- all other functionality works, including turning it off...I just can't turn it on... Any ideas?

Edit: It's working now, don't have any idea why...
Old 05-26-2008, 02:13 PM

You are pressing the "receiver" button first before pressing the power button to turn it on?
Old 05-26-2008, 02:18 PM

Yeah. I don't know what's going on, it works now with both my universal remote and the Onkyo remote...no complaints here.
Old 05-26-2008, 03:35 PM

The Onkyo web site shows the following:

Front L/R

90 W + 90 W (8 ohms, 20 Hz–20 kHz 0.08%, 2 channels driven, FTC)
105 W + 105 W (8 ohms, 1 kHz, 0.7%, 2 channels driven, FTC)
110 W + 110 W (6 ohms, 1 kHz, 0.1%, 2 channels driven, FTC)

Center

90 W (8 ohms, 20 Hz–20 kHz, 0.08%, 2 channels driven, FTC)
105 W (8 ohms, 1 kHz, 0.7%, 2 channels driven, FTC)
110 W (6 ohms, 1 kHz, 0.1%, 2 channels driven, FTC)

Surround L/R

90 W + 90 W (8 ohms, 20 Hz–20 kHz, 0.08%, 2 channels driven, FTC)

Surround Back L/R

90 W + 90 W (8 ohms, 20 Hz–20 kHz, 0.08%, 2 channels driven, FTC)

Dynamic Power

210 W (3 ohms, 1 ch)
180 W (4 ohms, 1 ch)
110 W (8 ohms, 1 ch)

Two questions, First, can someone explain the signifigance of the "2 channels driven" part. I mean if those wattage amounts are with only 2 speakers driven and I have all 7 speakers hooked up is it less? Basically want to know how much wattage to each speaker when all speakers are driven.

Also I want to use 6 ohm speakers in the front. It shows 110 Watts per channel but only at 1 kHz instead of the 20 Hz–20 kHz range like it does for 8 ohm speakers. Is there anyway to figure out the wattage for the 6 ohm speakers for the same range?
Old 05-26-2008, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asherian View Post

I've got two issues:

1) The Wii is connected to Component Input 2. My receiver is connected via HDMI to my TV (Westinghouse 42" 1080p). The video from the Wii is outputting in widescreen (on my old Yamaha it worked flawlessly). But it's "squished" on my TV, it's a 16:9 image in 4:3 aspect ratio. The Wii's settings indicate it is a 16:9 TV output with HDTV/EDTV display, which makes sense since it works when directly connected via component to my TV and connected via component to my older Yamaha receiver. No matter what settings I choose on the Onkyo TX-SR606 I cannot seem to get it to fill the entire screen, just the box in the center. Any ideas?

the Wii only outputs a 480 4:3 signal, you have to get the reciever or display to stretch it to 16:9

the 16:9 setting in the Wii crunches a 16:9 image to 4:3, so that it looks proper when 'stretched'.
Old 05-26-2008, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctwilliams View Post

I have a question about the on screen display. From reading the manual and posts here I understand that the volume and current input are not displayed over the HDMI output at the same time it is displaying content (pass through only), however the unit setup is only displayed over the HDMI output.

I would have the unit in an equipment rack and would like to be able to see the current volume/mute and the current input it is on without having to walk to the rack.

What I could not tell is, while using the HDMI output, this information able to be displayed? Will it interrupt whatever you are watching and throw up a screen with this info on it?

If it does not, I was thinking I could use the svideo output and do a PIP on my TV. So, when it it is on an HDMI input going to HDMI out, what comes out of the svideo output? Would the volume and info be displayed on that?

Thanks...

CT

The OSD and Immedite are only displayed when using HDMI out. You wont get the OSD screen or immedite information if you use S-video out.

Also, the immediate (volume, input, etc) will not be displayed if your input is through HDMI.
Old 05-26-2008, 07:32 PM

[quote=Asherian;13949778]I just got mine today and set it up.

I've got two issues:

./QUOTE]

does it mean that even after choosing "Full" as Zoom mode in the OSD HDMI section, it still doesnt work?
Old 05-26-2008, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by becool View Post

Also, the immediate (volume, input, etc) will not be displayed if your input is through HDMI.

i have this receiver hooked to a samsung a550 lcd tv and am still going around and around trying to have the tv speakers work and to be able to see the volume display on the tv--even though it's not the same number as the receiver volume for some reason.

it can be done with a combination of setting the hdmi audio to 'on' and using the hdmi 'cec' control connection. although the onkyo manual does not mention samsung and its so-called 'anywhere-net', the tv does recognize the receiver and vice versa. my panasonic br dvd sort of works also in that the tv sees it also, but that's not relevant in this question.

anyway, i had it working just fine--using the tv speakers in addition to my 5.1 setup and i was able to see a real-time volume display on the tv. but when i went to start up my system the next day using the activity macro of my harmony remote the receiver insisted on setting its input to the game/tv input which is unpopulated. no amount of tweaking input settings or delays on the harmony side would cure this, so i turned off the hdmi cec function.

i plan to test more on this later as i really want that volume display in spite of it not corresponding with the receiver display and in spite of it jumping and skipping numbers. any suggestions greatly appreciated.

thanks,

/guy

We were somewhere around the Withywindle on the edge of the Old Forest when the drugs began to take hold. ~Hunter S. Tolkien
Old 05-26-2008, 07:34 PM

Quote:

I've got two issues:

The TV screen mode should also be Full
Old 05-26-2008, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gteague View Post

i have this receiver hooked to a samsung a550 lcd tv and am still going around and around trying to have the tv speakers work and to be able to see the volume display on the tv--even though it's not the same number as the receiver volume for some reason.

it can be done with a combination of setting the hdmi audio to 'on' and using the hdmi 'cec' control connection. although the onkyo manual does not mention samsung and its so-called 'anywhere-net', the tv does recognize the receiver and vice versa. my panasonic br dvd sort of works also in that the tv sees it also, but that's not relevant in this question.

anyway, i had it working just fine--using the tv speakers in addition to my 5.1 setup and i was able to see a real-time volume display on the tv. but when i went to start up my system the next day using the activity macro of my harmony remote the receiver insisted on setting its input to the game/tv input which is unpopulated. no amount of tweaking input settings or delays on the harmony side would cure this, so i turned off the hdmi cec function.

i plan to test more on this later as i really want that volume display in spite of it not corresponding with the receiver display and in spite of it jumping and skipping numbers. any suggestions greatly appreciated.

thanks,

/guy

I think it should work if your TV is connected to the 606 through HDMI and you set Audio TV out in HDMI to On.
So, you could see the volume display before but not anymore?
Old 05-26-2008, 08:05 PM

when i turned on the hdmi 'cec' (or hdmi control) setting in the receiver and on the tv i could see the volume display. but with these settings activated my receiver was trying to go to an empty hdmi input when it and the tv were initially powered on.

sending audio to the tv speakers seems to be a different issue entirely although at first i thought these two functions were inter-acting. i can get audio to the tv speakers, but doing this seems to block some audio formats from being used. in other words the receivers display seems to only read 'hdmi passthrough' and no audio functions or options are available.

We were somewhere around the Withywindle on the edge of the Old Forest when the drugs began to take hold. ~Hunter S. Tolkien
Old 05-26-2008, 09:22 PM

[quote=becool;13951443]
Quote:

I've got two issues:

./QUOTE]

does it mean that even after choosing "Full" as Zoom mode in the OSD HDMI section, it still doesnt work?

It had it set to "Full", but it didn't do anything until I explicitly picked 1080i as the HDMI resolution.
Old 05-26-2008, 09:29 PM

Hi all. I have a quick question about the 606 and HDMI passthrough. I intend to use a PS3 as my BluRay player and want to output the video signal at 1080p/24 to my Kuro. When the receiver is set to passthrough only (so that my Kuro can display the 1080p/24 image properly at 72 Hz), will I be able to listen to the lossless audio that is also coming from the PS3 via HDMI? I think I read somewhere eariler that you lose audio in passthrough mode.
Old 05-26-2008, 09:33 PM

I think passthrough only refers to video, not the audio.
Old 05-26-2008, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN Doc View Post

Hi all. I have a quick question about the 606 and HDMI passthrough. I intend to use a PS3 as my BluRay player and want to output the video signal at 1080p/24 to my Kuro. When the receiver is set to passthrough only (so that my Kuro can display the 1080p/24 image properly at 72 Hz), will I be able to listen to the lossless audio that is also coming from the PS3 via HDMI? I think I read somewhere eariler that you lose audio in passthrough mode.

You will be able to listen to audio when your input is through HDMI.
you can check page 30 of the 606 manual concerning HDMI connections.
Old 05-26-2008, 10:17 PM

[quote=Asherian;13952024]
Quote:

It had it set to "Full", but it didn't do anything until I explicitly picked 1080i as the HDMI resolution.

I am also using Wii connected to 606 through component.
When selecting Full for the TV dispaly and for the receiver Zoom mode all the
HDMI output resolutions (1080i, 720p, 480p..) are shown on the Full screen
Old 05-26-2008, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gteague View Post

when i turned on the hdmi 'cec' (or hdmi control) setting in the receiver and on the tv i could see the volume display. but with these settings activated my receiver was trying to go to an empty hdmi input when it and the tv were initially powered on.

sending audio to the tv speakers seems to be a different issue entirely although at first i thought these two functions were inter-acting. i can get audio to the tv speakers, but doing this seems to block some audio formats from being used. in other words the receivers display seems to only read 'hdmi passthrough' and no audio functions or options are available.

There s a hint regarding your question in the manual page 31:

To listen to audio received by the HDMI IN jacks through your TV's speakers, set the Audio TV Out
setting to On (see page 81), and set your DVD player's HDMI audio output setting to PCM.

I hope it helps.
Old 05-27-2008, 04:35 AM

Liked: 12
Thanks for your help on the PS3 settings. I changed it and now it shows Multichannel. Appreciate your help.

My experience with Mackcam Warranties. Projector sent with HDMI issue, returned with Lens damage. Still no ETA. 6 Months waiting to date. Sporadic response from CS. Stated it was sent to Epson, but was sent to another repair shop.
Old 05-27-2008, 06:20 AM

Quote:

The OSD and Immedite are only displayed when using HDMI out. You wont get the OSD screen or immedite information if you use S-video out.

OK, just so I understand. If I am looking at an HDMI source (using the HDMI output) there is no way to see the volume and input. If I switch to an analog source, I could then see the volume and input (on the HDMI output) and then just switch back to the HDMI input to be back at whatever I am watching.

That is clunky, but sometimes when the harmony gets off kilter it is just easier to see what is going on using the TV.

Thanks..

CT
Old 05-27-2008, 06:24 AM
AVS Special Member

What are everyone's impressions of the 606 so far? I think it is a very good receiver for the price. I havent been able to compare it to the Yamaha 663 yet sound wise, but the 4 HDMI inputs, decent upscaling, and passing BTB have been very useful. The audyssey feature and dynamic EQ work very nice as well.
Old 05-27-2008, 07:49 AM

I'm quite impressed for the most part. I had my digital set top box (Scientific Atlanta HD8300) connected via component to the receiver, then output via HDMI -- but I ended up connecting the set top box directly to the TV. I found that when sent via HDMI (upscaled to 1080i), it blurred the image somewhat. This was especially apparent on the low-res guide mode. I imagine this is DCTi but it just looked weird to me, the text became fuzzy instead of slightly pixely. Additionally, the picture looked a bit too dark -- my HDMI input is calibrated as per the THX optimizer on DVDs but I think the TV is different.

But the sound is terrific. I'm very impressed by Audyssey. I watched Blade Runner in TrueHD last night for the first time, and what a difference it was.