The Onkyo TX-SR606 Owners Thread - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 9465 Old 05-30-2008, 03:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Dumb quick question - the 605 wouldn't power a non-amplified sub. Still the case for the 606?

I have a Sony HTIB with a non-amplified sub and wanted to keep my speaker setup for now and replace the receiver.

Thanks!

oh hi.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 9465 Old 05-30-2008, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgwaters View Post

I performed tests with the PHASE switch at both positions, with no discernible difference. I'm stumped as to what it's supposed to do. I think I'll perform some searches about it.

In your setup it may well have no discernible effect. I would set it to 0 and forget it. If you care to get into it at all start here

Quote:

UPDATE: I searched for "Klipsch KSW-10 Phase" on the forums and found a couple of interesting posts--although nothing too helpful regarding the PHASE setting. One interesting post states: "65-75hz is the sweet spot for this sub. Anything higher and it starts dulling. I run my power at around 70%. I leave the phase on 0 with auto power on enabled." What do you think of the comment to *not* set the LOWPASS to the maximum (120) --especially with this receiver? Thanks.

The main reason to consider setting the cross-over on the sub to anything other than its maximum is if the receiver is not doing bass management. If you were feeding a full range signal to it you would want to change it but not with the setup you have. Its purpose is to set the cutoff frequency and any input frequencies above that level will not be played back (or will be heavily attenuated).

If you set the crossover to 65Hz you might get decent results IF your main speakers work well down to that frequency. If you set it to 120 the Audyssey setup will determine the best crossover point based on its tests and the capability it finds for the sub and your speakers. If the setting on the sub is above this level it is doing nothing as the receiver is not sending those frequencies to it anyway. If you set it below the level set in the receiver you will have a hole in the audio spectrum unless your other speakers are filling that hole. You really don't want two competing crossovers.

Bottom line is set it to 120 and let Audyssey do its thing. If you perceive there to be problems with what you are hearing after that is done then its certainly possible to tweak things but I wouldn't recommend it unless you understand the settings you are tweaking.
post #633 of 9465 Old 05-30-2008, 04:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ymarker View Post

Anyone else noticed the bass is a little light. Not sure how to explain it but I'm coming from a yamaha and this onkyo seems great but the bass isn't as thunderous. Now I'm not taking about amplitude, just the "richness" I guess.

I have a NAD T163 pre-pro with Rotel power amps, I've tried swapping in a Denon 3806 as a pre, and found the sound almost identical. To my knowledge, Yamaha and Denon have the same sound "character" these days.

Just for the record, I tried an Onkyo 705 as a preamp in my setup several months ago, and was absolutely staggered by how thin and toppy it sounded, against the NAD or Denon.
Having said that, the Onkyo 805 (and up) is a whole different beast, and I suspect it'd perform a lot closer... maybe even the same! The fact that Onkyo makes a professional pre-pro with identical internals to the 875 inspires a lot of confidence.
(The upcoming 806 is another contender for my next pre-pro, along with the Denon 2809 and NAD T175.)

WHAT HIFI's review would seem to confirm my suspicion that all the Onkyos below the 800 series have the same overly bright and brash character...

http://whathifi.com/home-cinema/arch...g-success.aspx
post #634 of 9465 Old 05-30-2008, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSwordBearer View Post

In your setup [the PHASE setting] may well have no discernible effect. I would set it to 0 and forget it.

Understood. I'm leaving it set to 0.

Quote:

The main reason to consider setting the cross-over on the sub to anything other than its maximum is if the receiver is not doing bass management. If you were feeding a full range signal to it you would want to change it but not with the setup you have. Its purpose is to set the cutoff frequency and any input frequencies above that level will not be played back (or will be heavily attenuated).

If you set the crossover to 65Hz you might get decent results IF your main speakers work well down to that frequency. If you set it to 120 the Audyssey setup will determine the best crossover point based on its tests and the capability it finds for the sub and your speakers. If the setting on the sub is above this level it is doing nothing as the receiver is not sending those frequencies to it anyway. If you set it below the level set in the receiver you will have a hole in the audio spectrum unless your other speakers are filling that hole. You really don't want two competing crossovers.

Bottom line is set it to 120 and let Audyssey do its thing. If you perceive there to be problems with what you are hearing after that is done then its certainly possible to tweak things but I wouldn't recommend it unless you understand the settings you are tweaking.

Understood. I'm leaving the LOWPASS set at it's maximum value (120 Hz).

Quote:

POWER set to AUTO should be fine. It is possible that this was causing the sub to not be found on your first attempt to run setup because of this setting which will turn the sub on when a signal is detected, and off after some time with no signal. This may mean it wasn't on when the first test tone was sent. I would set it to ON for running setup but then leave it at AUTO after you are done.

Setting level to 11 is a bad idea, as you saw from the hum. The fact that Audyssey set the subwoofer to -6 also indicates that it's level is too high. The receiver is reducing the level of the signal sent to it to compensate for it's high setting. Try it at 8 and see what level Audyssey selects during setup. Ideally you want it close to 0.

Quote:

Thanks! I'll adjust the LEVEL setting until the Audyssey test returns a value of (or closer to) 0 db.

[Jumping around here a bit...] When I changed the POWER setting from AUTO to ON and lowered the LEVEL setting to 8, Audyssey failed to discover the subwoofer altogether; I didn't hear any output from the subwoofer during the test, either. (At least with POWER set to AUTO, there was that muffled sound from the subwoofer when Audyssey pinged it--for better or worse.) When I bumped the LEVEL again to 11, Audyssey found it; however, the resulting subwoofer value was set to +12 db (!). I can't explain why, with the same settings, Audyssey returned -6 db last night. Maybe I missed something last night. In any case, I saved these latest Audyssey settings (including the +12 db for the subwoofer) and lowered the subwoofer volume to 8 (to eliminate the subtle hum). I'll listen to the results this evening as my wife and I watch the "Lost" season finale from last night on our DVR.
post #635 of 9465 Old 05-30-2008, 06:48 PM

i'm not any sort of expert (wild overstatement), but have just finished running my audyssey setup a few times and thought i'd try to clear up the confusion i seem to read into some of these posts.

it sounds like you need to increase or decrease your subs 'level' setting until the audyssey setup sets your subwoofer to near zero. or at least somewhere between -6db and +6db so that you have some 'headroom' where you can increase or decrease the effects from your remote control or system setup manually without having to physically go and tweak the subs level knob.

for example: my subwoofer only has a level knob and when i set it to the 50% position and ran the routine, audyssey set it near zero. i later lowered the knob to 33% since i was having to manually set minus (-) 12-15db as the sub was thumping me out of the room--i live in a tiny apartment complex and it was literally shaking the walls--it's a 350w polk which is overkill for my current quarters. now i can set the sub levels manually from approx -3db to -12db depending on the source.

and yes, i realize i somewhat defeated the purpose of the audyssey setup by moving the level knob after the setup had run.

hope i haven't confused the issue further with this.

/guy

We were somewhere around the Withywindle on the edge of the Old Forest when the drugs began to take hold. ~Hunter S. Tolkien
post #636 of 9465 Old 05-30-2008, 06:51 PM

When I got to play my new BD player the 606 starts the I hear a pop and the unit goes to standby. Can anyone help me?

Update. I think it had to do with my Sub. When the Volume is to high it cuts out but the Sub seems a bit low in volume?
post #637 of 9465 Old 05-30-2008, 09:13 PM

I just ordered a 606 today and I was wondering what, if any cables are included in the box. I plan on using this receiver for alot of things (PC, PS3, HDTV, etc) and I need a good idea of all the things I'm going to use to hook all this stuff up.
post #638 of 9465 Old 05-30-2008, 09:29 PM

cables? if you don't count the am and fm antennas ... or the a/c cord ... none.

i ordered from monoprice.com while i waited for the receiver to ship and had 4 color-coded hdmi cables ready to go when it arrived.

We were somewhere around the Withywindle on the edge of the Old Forest when the drugs began to take hold. ~Hunter S. Tolkien
post #639 of 9465 Old 05-31-2008, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gteague View Post

i'm not any sort of expert (wild overstatement), but have just finished running my audyssey setup a few times and thought i'd try to clear up the confusion i seem to read into some of these posts.

it sounds like you need to increase or decrease your subs 'level' setting until the audyssey setup sets your subwoofer to near zero. or at least somewhere between -6db and +6db so that you have some 'headroom' where you can increase or decrease the effects from your remote control or system setup manually without having to physically go and tweak the subs level knob.

I could only get the Audyssey setup to detect my subwoofer when I set it at the subwoofer's highest level--so 'adjusting the level until Audyssey sees it' doesn't seem to be an option for me. My experience must be unique in this regard; is that the case, everyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gteague View Post

for example: my subwoofer only has a level knob and when i set it to the 50% position and ran the routine, audyssey set it near zero. i later lowered the knob to 33% since i was having to manually set minus (-) 12-15db as the sub was thumping me out of the room--i live in a tiny apartment complex and it was literally shaking the walls--it's a 350w polk which is overkill for my current quarters. now i can set the sub levels manually from approx -3db to -12db depending on the source.

and yes, i realize i somewhat defeated the purpose of the audyssey setup by moving the level knob after the setup had run.

hope i haven't confused the issue further with this.

Thanks for sharing your experiences, Guy. It would be interesting to see what the Audyssey setup recommends if you were to re-run it after you manually lowered the level on your subwoofer to 33%. Did you try that, just to see?

Question for everyone: During the Audyssey setup, the tones from the speakers are very distinct. For the subwoofer, however, I don't hear anything (and the subwoofer is not detected) unless (as mentioned above) I set the subwoofer to its highest level--and even then, all I hear is a very faint "thump thump thump". What am I *supposed* to hear during the setup, if anything? Obviously, my inexperience with Audyssey--and automated speaker setup in general--is showing.

I mentioned that the Audyssey setup set the receiver's subwoofer value to +12 db. It set my left and right front speakers to -6 db and my center center speaker to -7 db. Is that normal? With these settings, watching TV with the subwoofer's level knob still set to its highest level (11) produced overwhelming and near-deafening bass (surprise!). I lowered the receiver's subwoofer level from +12db to 0 db and lowered the subwoofer's level knob to about 6. To my untrained ear, that sounded best. But I'm confused that I had to make such radical adjustments--to both the subwoofer's level knob and to the receiver's subwoofer value. Is my experience typical? And now that the subwoofer sounds good to my untrained ear, is there any value in my re-running Audyssey to see what it suggests? Obviously, like everyone else, I'm sure, I'm trying to get the best, but also the most natural-sounding, audio experience out of my equipment.
post #640 of 9465 Old 05-31-2008, 12:32 PM

For the sub, I heard simply thump-thump-thump as well. I had to turn the volume up on it (it's normally down a bit since I live in an apartment). But then it worked.
post #641 of 9465 Old 05-31-2008, 01:23 PM

Can anyone tell me how to have the receiver send the volume display to my TV via HDMI? Setup = HDMI in HDMI out.

Thanks
post #642 of 9465 Old 05-31-2008, 02:53 PM

It's my understanding that the 606 does not mess with HDMI input signals and therefore cannot 'superimpose' the volume level on top of the signal that goes to the TV. Apparently, the volume level *can* be displayed for component input signals, if you have any such in your environment.
post #643 of 9465 Old 05-31-2008, 04:12 PM

Quote:

Thanks for sharing your experiences, Guy. It would be interesting to see what the Audyssey setup recommends if you were to re-run it after you manually lowered the level on your subwoofer to 33%. Did you try that, just to see?

in fact i did do this but didn't want to confuse the issue in my original post so i omitted it.

after i lowered the sub level to 33% from 50% audyssey set my sub level at +4db which makes sense to me. since i lowered the sub level audyssey had to increase its own internal level to compensate and equalize the volume it provides at the listening position.

it just so happens that in my particular case the subwoofer effect is too strong at this equalized setting and i have to reduce it.

and i guess i mis-read your posts in that i thought you had a range, however slight, in your subs level setting between 8 and 11 where you could try to get audyssey to set itself to '0'.

/guy

post #644 of 9465 Old 05-31-2008, 04:18 PM

Quote:

It's my understanding that the 606 does not mess with HDMI input signals and therefore cannot 'superimpose' the volume level on top of the signal that goes to the TV. Apparently, the volume level *can* be displayed for component input signals, if you have any such in your environment.

actually i found that with my components (onkyo 606/samsung 505/pana bd30) the volume level can be superimposed on the tv using hdmi, but if your experience mirrors mine so far you probably don't want to do this. it involves the hdmi audio in/out setting and the hdmi cec setting. samsung calls this 'anywhere-net' and it is some sort of system where control signals can be passed over hdmi. every manufacturer calls it something different, but they advertise that you can control other components using hdmi. actually, it sort of works with my receiver, my samsung tv and my panasonic dvd all using hdmi, but i found that when i turned the system on the receiver would always go to the hdmi game input (where i have nothing plugged in). no amount of fine tuning of the delays on my harmony macro would cure this--i ended up having to turn off the control signals.

there's a thread about this very thing starting around here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...9#post13951449 and at least one other person had the same problem that i did with the game input.

bottom line is that i'd love to have audio to my tv speakers and be able to see the volume displayed on the tv even if it doesn't match the receiver volume (which it doesn't) but that hdmi control channel seems buggy and flaky when using it among different brands of components.

/guy

post #645 of 9465 Old 05-31-2008, 05:29 PM

Liked: 11
I can't wait to get one. hopefully soon.

"I said therefore unto you, that ye shall die in your sins: for if ye believe not that I am HE, ye shall die in your sins."

John 8:24 (King James Version)

PSN: IR_dgjr
post #646 of 9465 Old 05-31-2008, 06:48 PM

"HDMI 1.3a with Repeater"

The 605 and 606 are identical in this regard - no?

Can someone explain. The 605 manual says 1.3a.
post #647 of 9465 Old 06-01-2008, 09:37 AM

Hi all,
I'm about to buy one of this unit, but I've one question. At this moment I don't own any HDMI screen , It means that I won't be able to see the OSD on my CTR TV via s-video?

Thanks !
post #648 of 9465 Old 06-01-2008, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tutmosis44 View Post

Hi all,
I'm about to buy one of this unit, but I've one question. At this moment I don't own any HDMI screen , It means that I won't be able to see the OSD on my CTR TV via s-video?

Thanks !

Yes you wont be able to see OSD when the output is through S-video.
OSD will only show on HDMI outputs
post #649 of 9465 Old 06-01-2008, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stipeman View Post

"HDMI 1.3a with Repeater"

The 605 and 606 are identical in this regard - no?

Can someone explain. The 605 manual says 1.3a.

606 uses 1.3a, 605 uses 1.3

For consumers, there is no difference between the 2 versions. They have the same features.
These minor revisions to the specification are mainly related to manufacturing or testing issues and do not include fuctionality.
post #650 of 9465 Old 06-01-2008, 11:13 PM

I am putting a package together for my living room and need a recommendation for a good in-ceiling speaker. After doing much research I am leaving towards purchasing a VTF-2 MK 3 as the sub. This will be setup in the living room for 65% music 35% movies. To keep the walls free for artwork, I am leaning towards having all 5 speakers in the ceiling. I'd love to hear some recommendations for good quality in-ceiling speakers that will play well with the VTF-2 MK 3.

I am thinking about getting 5 Klipsch CDT-3650-C or CDT-5650-C to mount on the celing. Is this a good choice. I'd love to hear of any recommendations.

Thanks!
post #651 of 9465 Old 06-01-2008, 11:14 PM

new setup:
i just picked this up 2 days ago, i got my hd sat box connected hdmi, to the 606 and 606 in my 52xbr4 via hdmi.

receiver upscales to 1080i and then my tv up scales to 1080pi s this good to do?
or should i leave it as "through" but most of the hd content is 720 so either my tv does the upscaling or my receiver does it to 1080i and then my tv, but my tv accepts a 1080i signal, i feel like there double the processing for hd.

i notice that my std def looks better going through upscaled @1080i

any suggestions ?
post #652 of 9465 Old 06-01-2008, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cracktight View Post

new setup:
i just picked this up 2 days ago, i got my hd sat box connected hdmi, to the 606 and 606 in my 52xbr4 via hdmi.

receiver upscales to 1080i and then my tv up scales to 1080pi s this good to do?
or should i leave it as "through" but most of the hd content is 720 so either my tv does the upscaling or my receiver does it to 1080i and then my tv, but my tv accepts a 1080i signal, i feel like there double the processing for hd.

any suggestions ?

it all depends on your TV and receiver's Video processor's performance. you can try both (upscaling with Receiver the TV, through receiver and then upscale with TV) 's video quality and decide wich one suits you better.
post #653 of 9465 Old 06-01-2008, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cracktight View Post

new setup:

any suggestions ?

it all depends on your TV and receiver's Video processor's performance. you can try both (upscaling with Receiver then TV, through receiver and then upscale with TV) 's video quality and decide wich one suits you better.
post #654 of 9465 Old 06-02-2008, 12:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Any idea what the "F:H S:H" portion of the display represents?

FYI, my display currently shows "003 043 F:x S:H:".

Not sure if this has been answered, but i imagine the F is the fan speed, and probably Low/Medium/High, and potentially "-" when it is off. I believe this is the case on the 805 model's "secret" temp monitor screen, so im guessing its the same for the 606. The "S:L" may infact be referring to the second/secondary fan and also L/M/H ? If your 606 is well ventilated you might be able to see the fans on L, then by blocking off some vents and heating it up, you may see the fans go up to M and then H... Something to try anyway
post #655 of 9465 Old 06-02-2008, 01:07 AM

makes you wonder how much of a struggle the designers and engineers had with heat to have the readings so easily accessible, doesn't it?

post #656 of 9465 Old 06-02-2008, 03:39 AM

Just got mine. I have yet to get decent speakers to use with it but I am flabbergasted how good this thing makes my 2 cheap speakers sound.

Anyways one concern I have with is is after about an hour of watching a show from a HTPC it shut itself off. I cant explain why, it did not feel overly hot and it came back on instantly. The HTPC was unaffected by the shutdown. (Compared to some computers I use this was cool). Anyone else have problems with it unexpectedly shutting off?

My setup is as follows:
TX-SR606
HTPC: video conected via HDMI from a 3850, Audio connected via spdif.
PS3: Connected via HDMI
Wii: connected via A/V (will get component next time I see them)
Motorola STB: Video connected with DVI-HDMI, Audio connected via optical (replacing with HDMI model today)
Samsung LN-T4665F connected via HDMI
post #657 of 9465 Old 06-02-2008, 04:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by morikaweb View Post

Just got mine. I have yet to get decent speakers to use with it but I am flabbergasted how good this thing makes my 2 cheap speakers sound.

Anyways one concern I have with is is after about an hour of watching a show from a HTPC it shut itself off. I cant explain why, it did not feel overly hot and it came back on instantly. The HTPC was unaffected by the shutdown. (Compared to some computers I use this was cool). Anyone else have problems with it unexpectedly shutting off?

My setup is as follows:
TX-SR606
HTPC: video conected via HDMI from a 3850, Audio connected via spdif.
PS3: Connected via HDMI
Wii: connected via A/V (will get component next time I see them)
Motorola STB: Video connected with DVI-HDMI, Audio connected via optical (replacing with HDMI model today)
Samsung LN-T4665F connected via HDMI

Was the Standby indicator flashing? If not, you may have accidentally pressed the Sleep button on the remote and it shut itself off automatically when the Sleep timer expired.
post #658 of 9465 Old 06-02-2008, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarecrow420 View Post

Not sure if this has been answered, but i imagine the F is the fan speed, and probably Low/Medium/High, and potentially "-" when it is off. I believe this is the case on the 805 model's "secret" temp monitor screen, so im guessing its the same for the 606. The "S:L" may infact be referring to the second/secondary fan and also L/M/H ? If your 606 is well ventilated you might be able to see the fans on L, then by blocking off some vents and heating it up, you may see the fans go up to M and then H... Something to try anyway

Thanks for the information. As I mentioned, the latter two values in my display are "F:x S:H:". I don't believe the 606 has an internal fan. So "F:x" might indicate that the primary fan is not present, but what would "S:H" indicate about a secondary fan?
post #659 of 9465 Old 06-02-2008, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asherian View Post

For the sub, I heard simply thump-thump-thump as well. I had to turn the volume up on it (it's normally down a bit since I live in an apartment). But then it worked.

Thanks; so I'm not the only one.

After turning your subwoofer's volume up, did you find that the Audyssey setup resulted in bass that was overwhelming? I did.

I can appreciate that Audyssey can only work with speakers that it can detect; however, it seems odd that the only way it would detect my subwoofer was to set it to the maximum level. Even more odd, it thereafter set the receiver's subwoofer value to +12 db; I would have thought that Audyssey would have set the receiver's subwoofer value to something like *negative* 12 db. Instead, I had to lower both the subwoofer's level (to about 50%) and the receiver's subwoofer value (to 0 db) to get bass that wasn't overpowering. This are fairly extreme adjustments to have to make, IMO.
post #660 of 9465 Old 06-02-2008, 07:14 AM

I replaced my Sony receiver with an Onkyo 705 and now have an Onkyo 606. With the Sony, my DVD output went directly to my DLP HDTV via HDMI; with the Onkyo, my DVD output goes to the receiver first (via HDMI) and then from the receiver to my DLP HDTV (again, via HDMI).

While watching numerous DVDs with this new configuration, I've noticed brief flashes of green on the screen--perhaps one or two per DVD. Replaying the same same section of these DVDs does not reproduce the flash.

I saw this with the 705 and am seeing it with the 606. I don't recall ever seeing this with my old configuration (i.e., DVD direct to DLP HDTV). The only things that have changed are: 1. running the HDMI signal through the Onkyo; 2. the second HDMI cable. Any idea what would be causing this?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page