The Onkyo TX-SR606 Owners Thread - Page 232 - AVS Forum
First ... 230  231  232 233  234  ... Last
Receivers, Amps, and Processors > The Onkyo TX-SR606 Owners Thread
yooedward's Avatar yooedward 01:18 PM 03-15-2009
So my problem is that my Onkyo receiver shuts down everytime there is a low bass rumble.

1. The speakers I'm using are Polk Audio 5.1 RM6750. They are 8 ohm.

2. Volume is around 40+ where it'll shut off. Anything below is fine.

3. I've ruled out it being the PS3 because I'm able to recreate the shutdown with the HTPC. It appears that it shuts down when there is a lot of bass rumble.

It appears it has something to do with my front left speaker connection. Let me explain the wiring...

Surround speakers are connected directly to Onkyo receiver. Front Left/Right speakers are connected to subwoofer front/left input and subwoofer output is connected to Onkyo receiver's front left/right plugs.

If I disconnect the front left plugs on the receiver, problem is fixed.

If I disconnect the front left output plugs on subwoofer, problem is fixed.

If I disconnect front left plugs on the front left speaker, problem persists.

So any ideas? The wires look fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajstan99 View Post

Some questions to help diagnose:

1. What speakers are you using? By any chance are they 4 ohm?

2. What is the volume level on the receiver when it shuts down? At what level can you keep PS3 to prevent the 606 from shutting down?

3. Am I correct in understanding that if you are playing the HTPC at a certain volume (let's say "50") it will never shut down, but if you switch to the PS3 and leave the volume at "50" the 606 will shut down? Or do you have to turn the 606 up to a louder volume (let's say "60") to have it be as loud as it is for the HTPC, and that's when it shuts down?

Finally, if you're using a fan, the principle in action is to remove the heat being radiated, not to blow cool air into the case. Try to aim the fan to generate airflow across the top of the receiver from front to back.

nlsteele's Avatar nlsteele 03:43 PM 03-15-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by crakarjax View Post

Hmm... Illinois is kind of in the middle of the US, so I wouldn't call it the "other side" of the US... maybe just the "side"

That's the ironic thing is I can't figure out how first class mail could take 6 days at a swipe to get from the West to the Middle. It seems like somehow space is being bent when things get mailed out of there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydu View Post

Trust me in saying that the City of Industry being far from Illinois is a very good thing, if you live in Illinois.

I'll take your word for it. Central Illinois isn't exactly Eden. It's alright, though.
kplex's Avatar kplex 03:59 PM 03-15-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by yooedward View Post

So my problem is that my Onkyo receiver shuts down everytime there is a low bass rumble.

1. The speakers I'm using are Polk Audio 5.1 RM6750. They are 8 ohm.

2. Volume is around 40+ where it'll shut off. Anything below is fine.

3. I've ruled out it being the PS3 because I'm able to recreate the shutdown with the HTPC. It appears that it shuts down when there is a lot of bass rumble.

It appears it has something to do with my front left speaker connection. Let me explain the wiring...

Surround speakers are connected directly to Onkyo receiver. Front Left/Right speakers are connected to subwoofer front/left input and subwoofer output is connected to Onkyo receiver's front left/right plugs.

If I disconnect the front left plugs on the receiver, problem is fixed.

If I disconnect the front left output plugs on subwoofer, problem is fixed.

If I disconnect front left plugs on the front left speaker, problem persists.

So any ideas? The wires look fine.

Is this a passive subwoofer? If it's a powered subwoofer, don't hook it up this way. Use the subwoofer output on your receiver and the line input on your sub. You're asking your receiver to drive your subwoofer. Let the subwoofer's built-in amp do that. If you don't have a powered subwoofer and don't want to get one, you're better off doing without a sub.
yooedward's Avatar yooedward 04:11 PM 03-15-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by kplex View Post

Is this a passive subwoofer? If it's a powered subwoofer, don't hook it up this way. Use the subwoofer output on your receiver and the line input on your sub. You're asking your receiver to drive your subwoofer. Let the subwoofer's built-in amp do that. If you don't have a powered subwoofer and don't want to get one, you're better off doing without a sub.

I'm a complete newbie when it comes to this, so sorry if this is a stupid question... but how do I know whether it is a powered sub or not?

Here is a link of the 5.1 speakers I have -- it gives you specs on the sub.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882290066

Also, even if I turn off the subwoofer (but still have the wirings connected) I will still get the same issue of the reciver shutting off.
Scooby06's Avatar Scooby06 04:15 PM 03-15-2009
Quote:

I'm a complete newbie when it comes to this, so sorry if this is a stupid question... but how do I know whether it is a powered sub or not?

Also, even if I turn off the subwoofer (but still have the wirings connected) I will still get the same issue of the reciver shutting off.

That's a powered sub.
yooedward's Avatar yooedward 04:19 PM 03-15-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby06 View Post

That's a powered sub.

So I'm better off using a subwoofer cable to connect it then? I only connected it this way because on the Polk Audio forums they say it produces a better sound. Your thoughts? Also, do you think this is what is causing my receiver to shut off?
kplex's Avatar kplex 04:19 PM 03-15-2009
Quote:

Any subwoofer that has a power cord and an on/off switch is an active sub. The way you've connected it, I believe you're using it as a passive subwoofer. That is, the built in amplifier is doing nothing, and your receiver is doing all the work. Does it have an RCA input on it labeled LFE-In or Line-In or something like that? If so, you should run an audio cable from the Subwoofer output on your receiver to that input on your sub, set the gain knob on your sub about in the middle or a little less, and run Audyssey again. Check the documentation that came with your speakers to see if they describe hooking it up this way.
kplex's Avatar kplex 04:22 PM 03-15-2009
Quote:

So I'm better off using a subwoofer cable to connect it then? I only connected it this way because on the Polk Audio forums they say it produces a better sound. Your thoughts? Also, do you think this is what is causing my receiver to shut off?

Yes, that's why your receiver is shutting off. It doesn't have enough power to drive the sub along with all the speakers at anything more than modest volume levels.
gregman's Avatar gregman 04:22 PM 03-15-2009
Just got an Onkyo 606 the other day, it works great but my problem is when i have the receiver turned off and try to turn the tv on, i get no signal from my cable box. I have to turn the receiver on and it comes up at the gaming input. when i switch to cable box, it will work fine until i turn the tv off and turn it back on i get to no signal through the receiver. the cable box is a motorola DCH3416 hooked up to HDMI 3 a WDtv hooked up to HDMI 2 going out to a samsung LN 52650. have a HDMI cable hooked up to HDMI 4 for when my son brings his XBox, but it is not hooked up to anything right now. everything is fine when the receiver is on, the problem is when i just want to watch the tv without the receiver.
thank you for your help
yooedward's Avatar yooedward 04:48 PM 03-15-2009
Quote:

Any subwoofer that has a power cord and an on/off switch is an active sub. The way you've connected it, I believe you're using it as a passive subwoofer. That is, the built in amplifier is doing nothing, and your receiver is doing all the work. Does it have an RCA input on it labeled LFE-In or Line-In or something like that? If so, you should run an audio cable from the Subwoofer output on your receiver to that input on your sub, set the gain knob on your sub about in the middle or a little less, and run Audyssey again. Check the documentation that came with your speakers to see if they describe hooking it up this way.

It has a line in L/R. What cable would I use to connect it through that?

[update]
I just read the manual. Apparently the cable comes out of the "sub out" from the receiver and goes into the line in L/R -- they title it as an RCA cable. Are all sub cables setup like this? Meaning one plug into the receiver on one end and two plugs on the other end (L/R).
kplex's Avatar kplex 05:07 PM 03-15-2009
Quote:

It has a line in L/R. What cable would I use to connect it through that?

[update]
I just read the manual. Apparently the cable comes out of the "sub out" from the receiver and goes into the line in L/R -- they title it as an RCA cable. Are all sub cables setup like this? Meaning one plug into the receiver on one end and two plugs on the other end (L/R).

They do that so you can use it with a stereo receiver that doesn't have a sub out. The manual for my sub says to use the Left input on the sub. The manual for some subs recommend using a Y cable at the sub end and plug into both the left and right inputs. It doesn't hurt to use a Y cable, but it's usually not necessary.
yooedward's Avatar yooedward 05:13 PM 03-15-2009
Quote:

They do that so you can use it with a stereo receiver that doesn't have a sub out. The manual for my sub says to use the Left input on the sub. The manual for some subs recommend using a Y cable at the sub end and plug into both the left and right inputs. It doesn't hurt to use a Y cable, but it's usually not necessary.

Yeah -- just read my manual. Appears I can use either Left or Right.

Is subwoofer cable a special cable? Or can I use any regular RCA video cable?

Also, using my current wire setup, the manual says to set front speakers LARGE (opposed to small), subwoofer to "OFF", Center and Surrounds as SMALL, and crossover frequency at 120hz. If I were to make sure the receiver were on these settings, do you think this would fix my problems as well? I have no idea what any of these settings do.
kplex's Avatar kplex 05:44 PM 03-15-2009
Quote:

Also, using my current wire setup, the manual says to set front speakers LARGE (opposed to small), subwoofer to "OFF", Center and Surrounds as SMALL, and crossover frequency at 120hz. If I were to make sure the receiver were on these settings, do you think this would fix my problems as well? I have no idea what any of these settings do.

You can use any RCA cable, but for best results it's a good idea to use a shielded cable. I think a video cable would probably work well. I like Blue Jeans subwoofer cables.

Set subwoofer to ON, then run Audyssey and let it configure everything else. Follow the instructions here for best results:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post14456895
nlsteele's Avatar nlsteele 06:09 PM 03-15-2009
Quote:

The reason your sub's instructions are telling you to do it this way is because you were feeding the left and right speaker output to the sub and speakers so it needed the bass information in the channel (hence 'large') and then it used the sub's own crossovers to reroute the higher frequency information to the speakers.

Once your subwoofer is connected with a line output, you won't need to worry about that anymore because you'll be using the Onkyo's crossovers (hence kplex's advice to use whatever Audyssey sets you up at; in all likelihood somewhere between 80 and 120 Hz for the speakers and you'll need to bump the LPF of LFE to 120 Hz regardless).
yooedward's Avatar yooedward 08:10 PM 03-15-2009
Thanks guys. You have been a tremendous help. Hopefully it fixes the shutdown issue!
shinksma's Avatar shinksma 07:53 AM 03-16-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregman View Post

Just got an Onkyo 606 the other day, it works great but my problem is when i have the receiver turned off and try to turn the tv on, i get no signal from my cable box. I have to turn the receiver on and it comes up at the gaming input. when i switch to cable box, it will work fine until i turn the tv off and turn it back on i get to no signal through the receiver. the cable box is a motorola DCH3416 hooked up to HDMI 3 a WDtv hooked up to HDMI 2 going out to a samsung LN 52650. have a HDMI cable hooked up to HDMI 4 for when my son brings his XBox, but it is not hooked up to anything right now. everything is fine when the receiver is on, the problem is when i just want to watch the tv without the receiver.
thank you for your help

The Onkyo 606 does not pass HDMI passively - you have to power it up. There are some brands that do allow this operation (Yamaha?), but not Onkyo, AFAIK.

Also, the automatically switching to Game mode is because the Onkyo senses something there and figures you want to use it by default. A couple of other folks have asked about that in this thread, but I don't recall whether there is a mode to disable or not - a quick scan of the online manual didn't tell me anything, and I'm at work so can't verify what is on the Source Setup menu (there might be a setting for "make default" or something).

Search this thread for "game" or "default" and browse through the posts to see if you can find the answer. I started to, hoping it would be fast, but didn't find anything right off the bat.

Otherwise, use one of the other HDMI inputs and re-assign in the source setup etc.

Hope this helps,

shinksma
m_kane's Avatar m_kane 08:38 AM 03-16-2009
Hi Guys,

I have little problem with my Onkyo 606.
It makes "clicking sound" sometimes randomly. For example yesterday I was watching movie from television (using digital connection from my digibox) and six times I heard "click" from amplifier. It is clearly relay click. But there was no changes in audio track, no commercial break or anything. It happened just in the middle on man speaking.

I was using Neo:Cinema mode.

It does not make any disturbance to audio, it just clicks.

My amplifier got broken two months ago, and was repaired by Onkyo. I think I have heard this clicking after that. Maybe it is some setting that is different now? Or could it be broken?
shinksma's Avatar shinksma 09:01 AM 03-16-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_kane View Post

Hi Guys,

It makes "clicking sound" sometimes randomly. For example yesterday I was watching movie from television (using digital connection from my digibox) and six times I heard "click" from amplifier. It is clearly relay click. But there was no changes in audio track, no commercial break or anything. It happened just in the middle on man speaking.

My amplifier got broken two months ago, and was repaired by Onkyo. I think I have heard this clicking after that. Maybe it is some setting that is different now? Or could it be broken?

It is possible that the digital audio signal is getting messed up either in the digibox (dunno what that is - I assume some sort of cable set top box), cable company, or source (the broadcast studio and/or the tape they are using).

Try setting the audio to a fixed mode like "stereo" or something rather than Neo:Cinema - it is possible the receiver is trying to figure out how many channels to enable, and the corrupted signal is confusing it on the fly, and it is enabling and disabling the surrounds and/or center.

Also, does the Onkyo do this with any other source like a DVD, BD, or whatever?

When you say you have it connected "using digital connection" do you mean optical, coax, or HDMI?

shinksma
angryht's Avatar angryht 09:12 AM 03-16-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by shinksma View Post

The Onkyo 606 does not pass HDMI passively - you have to power it up. There are some brands that do allow this operation (Yamaha?), but not Onkyo, AFAIK.

Actually, the 606 does allow you to pass-through with the power off. It's a setting in the HDMI part of the menu.
SkiSmuggs's Avatar SkiSmuggs 09:13 AM 03-16-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_kane View Post

Hi Guys,

I go into my Listening Mode Presets and set them all to defaults that use all speakers. I think the clicking is from channels turning on or off, so using all speakers eliminates that.
SkiSmuggs's Avatar SkiSmuggs 09:16 AM 03-16-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregman View Post

thank you for your help

There are settings (HDMI Control is one) that allows for passing thru the HDMI signal without powering on the 606, but it actually puts the 606 into a semi-powered state that uses about 75% of the electricity of it being fully on. I think if you search this thread for HDMI control, you'll find how to set this up.
m_kane's Avatar m_kane 09:41 AM 03-16-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by shinksma View Post

It is possible that the digital audio signal is getting messed up either in the digibox (dunno what that is - I assume some sort of cable set top box), cable company, or source (the broadcast studio and/or the tape they are using).

Try setting the audio to a fixed mode like "stereo" or something rather than Neo:Cinema - it is possible the receiver is trying to figure out how many channels to enable, and the corrupted signal is confusing it on the fly, and it is enabling and disabling the surrounds and/or center.

Also, does the Onkyo do this with any other source like a DVD, BD, or whatever?

When you say you have it connected "using digital connection" do you mean optical, coax, or HDMI?

shinksma

Sorry, here in Finland we call terrastrial antenna digital receiver as digibox.

But, actually I use amplifier only with my htpc (mythtv) I just mentioned it as digibox. It sends just two channel stereo when watching tv, as finnish tv companies does not send anything else in the air.

So, I don't have other sources, I watch videos and dvd:s with my mythtv box. I test more with different streams (DTS,DD) and let's see if there is any difference.

Thanks!
m_kane's Avatar m_kane 09:42 AM 03-16-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiSmuggs View Post

I go into my Listening Mode Presets and set them all to defaults that use all speakers. I think the clicking is from channels turning on or off, so using all speakers eliminates that.

Thanks, I will try that!
phorty's Avatar phorty 10:50 AM 03-16-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by nlsteele View Post

This gets to the point I forgot to make to you earlier, phorty. The 606 doesn't really do anything to the signal, hence the "repeater" function of the HDMI passing. You might really want to try different HDMI cables (since they're only about $4 on monoprice there's really no financial excuse at least) as I would suspect the combination of cables you're using of degrading the signal first and foremost. One other thing, I'm assuming this is all relatively short runs (6' or so)?

I tried switching up the cables and that didn't make any difference and they are all almost new from Monoprice and Meritline- a 3 foot and an 8 foot I think. I'm not too worried about it though, since I'm running the HDMI straight from the DVR to the TV and a optical from the DVR to the receiver. That's just as good as all HDMI's, right? That way I get the best of both worlds, I can use the surround and my wife can just flip the TV on and use the TV sound.
Duck1965's Avatar Duck1965 11:11 AM 03-16-2009
Hey everyone....What a great thread. It's been an incredible resource in addressing any question I've had during my three months owning my 606. My system is sounding really good, but something tells me it could be even better with a bit of tweaking with the help of a more proficient user.

Specifically, I've got a 5.1 set-up, using Energy Encore Series 2 speakers front and back, a Series 1 center speaker, and a Series 8 sub woofer. According to the manual, all they're rated at 8 ohm with an efficiency of 89 dB. The manual also says they "can handle the high power outputs of large amplifiers." The powered sub has an LPF of 50 Hz to 100 Hz, which I currently have set at 100 Hz per the recommendations I've read in this thread to set it at the highest frequency if there's no LPF on/off switch.

My question is should I be changing/confirming something specific within the speaker set-up menus to ensure I'm receiving the max benefit of my speakers? I used Audyssey to set up the system a few months back and as I said, the system sounds really good...just curious if there's something I should be doing different to move from really good to outstanding sound?

Thanks!
horvatsa's Avatar horvatsa 11:40 AM 03-16-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carsfanatic View Post

I have had this receiver since a few weeks after it first come out and have had no problems with it until now. I have PS3, 360, Dish Network VIP 211k HD receiver, PC all hooked up via HDMI and of course HDMI out to TV and then I have a Wii and a PSP hooked up through component. Just this last week I went to use my PSP and I get no video at all now and the same with the Wii. I can hear the audio but no video at all. At the same time this started I also now don't get any of the Setup menus on screen. I press the Setup button and it shows what menu it is on on the 606 itself but nothing on screen and when I go to exit the menu it cuts out whatever is displaying via the 606 for a second.

I have tried changing all the related menus and settings related to the component in and the HDMI out etc and still can't seem to find a fix for it.

Anyone experience this problem or know of a possible fix I have given up and don't know what else to do other than to send it in to have it fixed or something of the like.

Any luck with this issue? I just encountered this yesterday. The video doesn't output for the Wii and I can't get the on-screen menus to appear. My equipment that connects into the receiver via HDMI inputs works just fine. TV is a Toshiba and I have an HDMI output running from the receiver to the TV.
arbeck77's Avatar arbeck77 12:04 PM 03-16-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by phorty View Post

I tried switching up the cables and that didn't make any difference and they are all almost new from Monoprice and Meritline- a 3 foot and an 8 foot I think. I'm not too worried about it though, since I'm running the HDMI straight from the DVR to the TV and a optical from the DVR to the receiver. That's just as good as all HDMI's, right? That way I get the best of both worlds, I can use the surround and my wife can just flip the TV on and use the TV sound.

Something you might check is your cable box settings. With my 606 in the chain, if I turn the TV off for an extended period while the receiver and cable box stay on, the cable box switches itself to 480p. I have to go into the cable box service menu to switch it back.
Carsfanatic's Avatar Carsfanatic 01:02 PM 03-16-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by horvatsa View Post

Any luck with this issue? I just encountered this yesterday. The video doesn't output for the Wii and I can't get the on-screen menus to appear. My equipment that connects into the receiver via HDMI inputs works just fine. TV is a Toshiba and I have an HDMI output running from the receiver to the TV.

I keep forgetting to unplug it overnight or when I go to work in the morning. So really haven't messed with it work has been to busy and exhausting to remember to do much of anything.
nlsteele's Avatar nlsteele 01:32 PM 03-16-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by phorty View Post

As long as you're happy with this solution (and it does sound like the best of both worlds when a wife can do things the simple way; no matter how much better they could be if she'd learn the complex way).

Still a bizarre problem. The 606 shouldn't touch the HDMI signal and I can't figure how it could be causing the issue except an honest fault in the path somewhere in the HDMI switch.
Otto Hemi's Avatar Otto Hemi 01:37 PM 03-16-2009
Quote:

I've never figured out the clicking (and I actually like it). Lately I've been switching between two modes only while watching cable: Neo 6 for stations broadcasting in 2-channel Dolby (it gives a very pleasing 5.1 matrixed output) and Dolby D for 5.1 stuff. Switching back and forth between these two types of channels produces no clicking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by angryht View Post

Actually, the 606 does allow you to pass-through with the power off. It's a setting in the HDMI part of the menu.

Yeah, but of course, that's not true. I wish it were: that would save me from switching sources on my TV between HDMI and component to watch TV only.

Quote:

There are settings (HDMI Control is one) that allows for passing thru the HDMI signal without powering on the 606, but it actually puts the 606 into a semi-powered state that uses about 75% of the electricity of it being fully on. I think if you search this thread for HDMI control, you'll find how to set this up.

Unfortunately, 75% on is a long way from being off.
First ... 230  231  232 233  234  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop