The Onkyo TX-SR606 Owners Thread - Page 235 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #7021 of 9497 Old 03-20-2009, 09:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have had my 606 since Dec 08 and everything was working great until a couple of days ago. I was adding an HDMI connection for my PC and did not get a signal in input 1 or 2. I tried moving the cables for my cable and DVD around and found out that nothing was working well in HDMI input 1 or 2. Then, while testing it out, the 3rd input would not connect to the either the calbe or DVD. So right now it looks like only the HDMI 4 input is functioning. I have gone through the reset a couple of times and made sure the cables are working fine. I am afraid to keep going at this point in case the 4th input goes out as well. Has anyone experianced this situation before??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7022 of 9497 Old 03-21-2009, 01:51 AM

Hi all. I recently bought the HT-S7100 with the 606. A few minutes ago, the on screen display quit showing up on the screen. I have tried everything I know and to no avail. Is it a problem with the receiver or is there some more settings somewhere else. All of my connections are through HDMI's. I'm pulling my hair out!! Any help would be appreciated.
post #7023 of 9497 Old 03-21-2009, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ned4spd8874 View Post

I've only had my 606 for a couple months, but lately it's been acting a little weird.

A couple times now, on multiple input sources (DVR & PS3), my TV (Vizio 47") would show nothing but stripes and static. The are kinda black and white, but with a little color in them stripes. Kinda like you see when you switch inputs from the TV to PS3. When this happens, the sound still works fine for the most part. There are a couple little blips or popping, but nothing more than a split second sound wise. The stripes/static lasts from a matter of seconds or for around 30-40 seconds like last night while I was watching a movie.

I'm guessing I will probably need to call Onkyo for service. Unless there is something I can check myself? So far I've only experience this using my HDMI sources (DVR & PS3). But that might be because I rarely use my other sources. And it happens too sporadic to be able to say turn on the 360 and see what happens.

Nobody?

Check out my movie website: AfterCredits.com
post #7024 of 9497 Old 03-21-2009, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsarcazim View Post

I have had my 606 since Dec 08 and everything was working great until a couple of days ago. I was adding an HDMI connection for my PC and did not get a signal in input 1 or 2. I tried moving the cables for my cable and DVD around and found out that nothing was working well in HDMI input 1 or 2. Then, while testing it out, the 3rd input would not connect to the either the calbe or DVD. So right now it looks like only the HDMI 4 input is functioning. I have gone through the reset a couple of times and made sure the cables are working fine. I am afraid to keep going at this point in case the 4th input goes out as well. Has anyone experianced this situation before??

Not sure if this solves your problem, but check out post 4874 for a possible solution. It is critical what order you turn on the 606 with certain video cards. This solution works for me. Turn on TV, then 606 and finally the PC. I use the AUX hdmi input.
Good Luck.
post #7025 of 9497 Old 03-21-2009, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by planeman View Post

Hi all. I recently bought the HT-S7100 with the 606. A few minutes ago, the on screen display quit showing up on the screen. I have tried everything I know and to no avail. Is it a problem with the receiver or is there some more settings somewhere else. All of my connections are through HDMI's. I'm pulling my hair out!! Any help would be appreciated.

I had this problem and a factory reset got the on screen display back. You have to re-run your setup, but once done I haven't had the problem with the display again.

Hope this works for you. Instructions on how to do the reset are in the manual. I'd post them for you, but I don't recall which buttons to push.
post #7026 of 9497 Old 03-21-2009, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydu View Post

I had this problem and a factory reset got the on screen display back. You have to re-run your setup, but once done I haven't had the problem with the display again.

Hope this works for you. Instructions on how to do the reset are in the manual. I'd post them for you, but I don't recall which buttons to push.

you hold the VCR/DVR button and the press the power button to reset.
post #7027 of 9497 Old 03-21-2009, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck-eh! View Post

Not sure if this solves your problem, but check out post 4874 for a possible solution. It is critical what order you turn on the 606 with certain video cards. This solution works for me. Turn on TV, then 606 and finally the PC. I use the AUX hdmi input.
Good Luck.

I read that thread as well and have tried it with no luck. The odd thing was while I was testing cables and the different inputs, I lost the ability to conect through the 3rd input for no apparent reason. I read throughand searched most of this tread and havent seen anything like what I am experiencing.
post #7028 of 9497 Old 03-21-2009, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydu View Post

Everything is good now. I turned off the tv and the receiver and turned them both back on. OSD is back. I guess it was a handshake problem. Thanks for the help. I was worried that I would have to send the rec in for warranty work and I dont want to be without it.

Another question I have is the multichannel selection on the listening mode. I have a PS3 as my blu-ray and its set to lpcm. The receiver screen says multichannel, and there is a listening mode that says mulitchannel as well. Is that whatever format the PS3 is decoding direct? I looked all over the manual and it doesn't mention multi-channel in that aspect. Sorry to bother you guys with a bunch of newbie questions.
post #7029 of 9497 Old 03-21-2009, 10:26 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I have this receiver, and love it.

Unfortunately, I lost the supplemental remote code manual. Could someone post the remote codes for the included 606 remote to control a Dish PVR ? The unit is a 612. I want to use the Onkyo remote to control Dish.

Thanks !

In Vienna we sit, in late night cafe. Straight Connection, on T.E.E.
post #7030 of 9497 Old 03-21-2009, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck-eh! View Post
Good Luck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedlaw View Post
I have this receiver, and love it.

Unfortunately, I lost the supplemental remote code manual. Could someone post the remote codes for the included 606 remote to control a Dish PVR ? The unit is a 612. I want to use the Onkyo remote to control Dish.

Thanks !
Here is a PDF of the remote codes. Enjoy!

onkyo606remotecodes.pdf 348.2421875k . file
Attached Files
File Type: pdf onkyo606remotecodes.pdf (348.2 KB, 3 views)
post #7031 of 9497 Old 03-21-2009, 10:48 AM

Quote:

I read that thread as well and have tried it with no luck. The odd thing was while I was testing cables and the different inputs, I lost the ability to conect through the 3rd input for no apparent reason. I read throughand searched most of this tread and havent seen anything like what I am experiencing.

I just got off the phone with Onkyo support, after describing my problem they told me it needs to go in for repair. That is definitly not what I wanted to hear :-(
post #7032 of 9497 Old 03-21-2009, 04:44 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

Here is a PDF of the remote codes. Enjoy!

Speaking of which, has anyone found a good code to control the Xbox 360? I found one that has most functions, but the buttons are mapped really weird.
post #7033 of 9497 Old 03-21-2009, 05:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by crakarjax View Post

Speaking of which, has anyone found a good code to control the Xbox 360? I found one that has most functions, but the buttons are mapped really weird.

Harmony. :P Sorry not to be more helpful. Couldn't resist.

post #7034 of 9497 Old 03-21-2009, 06:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Is the zone 2 only accessable from the front panel. If by the remote, can I switch sources and turn it on and off.

If not can the next reeiver in line....706
post #7035 of 9497 Old 03-22-2009, 07:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlsteele View Post

Harmony. :P Sorry not to be more helpful. Couldn't resist.

I had an 880, but it's ergonomics are abysmal so I sold it. Also needed to make some money to justify buying this receiver I'll wait till I can find the harmony one refurbed for $100, but until then I need a good code!

In all honesty, besides the xbox this remote works surprisingly well as a universal remote. It even works well controlling my PC!
post #7036 of 9497 Old 03-22-2009, 07:47 AM

I have this one in combination with samsung le40a686 (which is pretty much same as samsung 656).

I have it connected to my htpc using hdmi (linked it to CD). I have set hdmi output to "through". And my resolution is set to 1920x1080. I however have a black box around my image. I can fix this by using the overscan function of the ati software. I have set my TV to 'just scan'. But in order to get the best picture this overscan should not be needed?

What am I missing/forgetting?
post #7037 of 9497 Old 03-22-2009, 12:04 PM

I've got an TX-SR606b. We're doing new home construction.
We have a media closet. I'm having issues with HDMI output.

Basically, I have the following:
606B -> 15' HDMI cable -> HDMI repeater -> 50' cable -> TV

When I connect in this fashion, basically my source to the hdmi input source and the HDMI output of the 606b to the 15' cable, I get sound, but my TV cannot sync to a video source.

If I by-pass the 606B, IE, go from the source directly to the 15' HDMI cable, I have good audio and video signals.

The repeater I'm using is from monoprice:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...mat=4#feedback

Any ideas?
post #7038 of 9497 Old 03-22-2009, 02:16 PM

I am not getting closed caption for my cable channels if I route it through SR-606. I do get it when I connect it directly to the tv.

cable box to sr606 using component.
sr606 to tv using hdmi

Please help.

thanks.
post #7039 of 9497 Old 03-22-2009, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcg9381 View Post

I've got an TX-SR606b. We're doing new home construction.
We have a media closet. I'm having issues with HDMI output.

Basically, I have the following:
606B -> 15' HDMI cable -> HDMI repeater -> 50' cable -> TV

When I connect in this fashion, basically my source to the hdmi input source and the HDMI output of the 606b to the 15' cable, I get sound, but my TV cannot sync to a video source.

If I by-pass the 606B, IE, go from the source directly to the 15' HDMI cable, I have good audio and video signals.

The repeater I'm using is from monoprice:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...mat=4#feedback

Any ideas?

Is your 50' cable 30AWG or better? How does it work if you use the source, the 15' cable, the repeater and the 50' cable bypassing the 606? What are your HDMI output settings on the 606?

post #7040 of 9497 Old 03-22-2009, 03:02 PM

Current set up is PS3 to 606 via HDMI. Dish Network box to tv (HDMI input 1 on tv) via HDMI with an Optical from dish to 606. Then I have an HDMI from 606 to tv (HDMI input 2 on tv).

When I have my tv on the hdmi input 2 for the onkyo and start the music on my ps3 then I switch the TV input to the satellite input (tv input 1) but leave the onkyo set for the ps3 the sound stops coming from the onkyo. But when I have the 606 set to listen to satellite (via Optical) it will work no matter what my tv input is on? Any help?? trying to listen to music while watching all the march madness games amongst other things.

by the way reason for this setup is I dont always want to use 606 while tv viewing, more for movies and ps3.
post #7041 of 9497 Old 03-22-2009, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan320 View Post

Current set up is PS3 to 606 via HDMI. Dish Network box to tv (HDMI input 1 on tv) via HDMI with an Optical from dish to 606. Then I have an HDMI from 606 to tv (HDMI input 2 on tv).

When I have my tv on the hdmi input 2 for the onkyo and start the music on my ps3 then I switch the TV input to the satellite input (tv input 1) but leave the onkyo set for the ps3 the sound stops coming from the onkyo. But when I have the 606 set to listen to satellite (via Optical) it will work no matter what my tv input is on? Any help?? trying to listen to music while watching all the march madness games amongst other things.

by the way reason for this setup is I dont always want to use 606 while tv viewing, more for movies and ps3.

This is because the TV is no longer handshaking with the receiver, and thus to the PS3 - the TV is now concentrating on the new input device.

The 606, like many receivers, doesn't always maintain the HDCP handshake via HDMI when the destination display is no longer focused on the signal from the 606 - this is a function of the combo effect of the various devices - it may work for some people, and not for others using different equipment. My guess is the PS3 wants to know "for sure" that the HDMI signal is getting somewhere "safe".

What happens if you turn off the 606 and turn it back on - maybe it re-initiates the handshake to the PS3 for the audio only.

Just hazarding a guess...

shinksma

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my captors.
post #7042 of 9497 Old 03-22-2009, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinksma View Post

This is because the TV is no longer handshaking with the receiver, and thus to the PS3 - the TV is now concentrating on the new input device.

The 606, like many receivers, doesn't always maintain the HDCP handshake via HDMI when the destination display is no longer focused on the signal from the 606 - this is a function of the combo effect of the various devices - it may work for some people, and not for others using different equipment. My guess is the PS3 wants to know "for sure" that the HDMI signal is getting somewhere "safe".

What happens if you turn off the 606 and turn it back on - maybe it re-initiates the handshake to the PS3 for the audio only.

Just hazarding a guess...

shinksma

Thanks for the idea, but sadly that didn't work. Any other ideas?
post #7043 of 9497 Old 03-22-2009, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan320 View Post

Thanks for the idea, but sadly that didn't work. Any other ideas?

It might be that either your TV or PS3 are the root cause of the HDCP failure - the TV might be basically saying "I'm not displaying it, so I will not honor any HDCP handshakes" and the PS3 might be saying "if there is no active display, I won't send anything". Either or both of those will result in your current situation, and there is likely no solution other than swapping out components.

Sorry, I can't really think of anything else,

shinksma

post #7044 of 9497 Old 03-22-2009, 06:19 PM

Quote:

Is your 50' cable 30AWG or better? How does it work if you use the source, the 15' cable, the repeater and the 50' cable bypassing the 606? What are your HDMI output settings on the 606?

Honestly, I don't know the GA of the 50' HDMI cable.

If I bypass the 606, it works fine.

Output settings (default) have not been changed. Per the manual, I believe it passes video signal (no audio.).
post #7045 of 9497 Old 03-22-2009, 06:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcg9381 View Post

Honestly, I don't know the GA of the 50' HDMI cable.

If I bypass the 606, it works fine.

Output settings (default) have not been changed. Per the manual, I believe it passes video signal (no audio.).

What you had discussed about bypassing the 606 involved just running the source to the TV via the 15' cable. I'm talking about reincluding the 50'er and the repeater.

post #7046 of 9497 Old 03-22-2009, 06:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What you had discussed about bypassing the 606 involved just running the source to the TV via the 15' cable. I'm talking about reincluding the 50'er and the repeater.

I think dcg9381 actually just bypassed the 606 and connected source to 15' HDMI, which goes to repeater, through 50' HDMI to TV.

It may be just a factor of too much cable to properly negotiate the handshake when run through the 606 - there's another cable from the source to the 606 in the normal, non-working configuration. Whether that cable itself is part of the cause may be hard to diagnose. The 606 may not be altering the signal, but I believe it "reads" it and then "transmits" it regardless of passthrough settings, so the signal strength is determined by the 606's HDMI transmitter, not the source.

dcg9381: you might want to try bypassing more of the downstream cabling, like the 50' segment and the repeater, just to see what happens.

Just a few suggestions, IMHO, AFAIK, etc,

shinksma

post #7047 of 9497 Old 03-22-2009, 09:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yfni View Post

I have this one in combination with samsung le40a686 (which is pretty much same as samsung 656).

I have it connected to my htpc using hdmi (linked it to CD). I have set hdmi output to "through". And my resolution is set to 1920x1080. I however have a black box around my image. I can fix this by using the overscan function of the ati software. I have set my TV to 'just scan'. But in order to get the best picture this overscan should not be needed?

What am I missing/forgetting?

its normal. set overscan to 0.
post #7048 of 9497 Old 03-23-2009, 09:39 AM
Advanced Member

I bought a cheap ac/dc fan from WalMart. It's about 8" square. It has an ac adapter (like for a cell phone) that I have plugged into my wall outlet. I hung the fan behind my entertainment center, drawing the air out towards the back. My entertainment center is open in the front. I have a Moto DCH-6416 STB which kicks out a lot of heat, my 606, which also kicks out a lot of heat, a TiVo and a Philips 3576 DVDR/HDD, but both of those have their own internal fans. My DCH-6416 is connected to my Sammy 550 LCD via HDMI. I have no video connections to or from my 606 right now because mainly I bought it for it's audio funtions.

My problem is this, when I'm running the fan and I'm watching HD programs, everything is fine, but when I watch a SD program, I get those random static artifacts like when I had my Sony 27"CRT and my wife would run the vacume cleaner. I can't understand why this happens. No other appliances cause this interferance on SD programs (I have a Hunter Air Cleaner running 24/7 just about 3' from the 550 and no problems there).

Does anyone have an ideal of why this is happening only on my SD channels? Do you think this would still happen if I purchase regular cooling fans like from "Coolerguys.com"?
Thanks,
Ghpr13

Info=Knowledge=Understanding=Better TV!
I see dead pixels!
post #7049 of 9497 Old 03-23-2009, 10:01 AM

I have read about some artifact issue with this line. I run all my video directly to to my television (cable and Bluray). I imagine I will continue to use the analog outs on my bluray player. Is there any issue what so ever with the audio of this unit?

*Please dont hate me because I want a simple answer and dont want to take the months to read all 4 million pages.
post #7050 of 9497 Old 03-23-2009, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinksma View Post

dcg9381: you might want to try bypassing more of the downstream cabling, like the 50' segment and the repeater, just to see what happens.

Just a few suggestions, IMHO, AFAIK, etc,

shinksma

I'll try. I just ordered a small monitor that I can use for testing HDMI signals...
Doesn't sound like there are any known issues or quirks in configuring the 606b that I should know about..
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page