The Onkyo TX-SR606 Owners Thread - Page 238 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #7111 of 9489 Old 03-30-2009, 12:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm having some issues with my 7 month Onkyo 606, when attempting to send any type of signal to the right speaker the reciever goes into amp protection mode (unit turns off and the standby light blinks). (A search has found similar issues but never isolated to one specific channels)

I poke with Onkyo and they said that it can't be an issue with the reciever if it stays on with all the speakers plugged in and the volume maxed out.

I've tried the following troubleshooting steps which in my mind rules out the speakers, and wire. (None of these fixed the problem.

1. Reset unit by holding the VCR/DVR button and pushing standby until “Clear” appeared on the display.
2. Unplugged everything from the back of the unit (speakers and devices) unplugged unit for 1 hour.
3. Replaced the right speaker and right speaker wire.
4. Replaced the right speaker and the right speaker wire.
5. Moved the left speaker and speaker wire to the right channel.
6. I tried plugging in the speakers with the normal banana plugs and also with bare speaker wire. (With the same result with both terminators).

At this point I'm thinking that the unit needs service (contrary to what Onkyo customer service says.) Anyone have any other ideas??

Thanks for the help and ideas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7112 of 9489 Old 03-30-2009, 02:10 PM

I've been doing a little more digging and I've found a few issues with HDMI compatibility issues:
1) Onkyo seems to have a fair number of compatibility issues with any sort of after-the-amp repeater, extender or switch. References:
a) http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1131843
b) http://www.avforums.com/forums/onkyo...splitters.html
c) http://www.amazon.com/gp/cdp/member-...R1HQRZNCHR3Q2C

Also note that the 606b manual says that this receiver isn't compatible with "PC" HDMI signals - so I'm expecting some issues with HDMI / DVI etc.

My entire point of buying this thing was having a means of doing HDMI switching in a media closet - over long HDMI runs... Having big problems accomplishing this at the current time.
post #7113 of 9489 Old 03-30-2009, 03:57 PM

So i have a couple AVR's picked out for my new Energy C-Series...

IDK if should wait for the 607's (which have a few more things that don't seem entirely worth it to me). I can get a 706 and a Pioneer 01TXH and a HK 354 for about 530 shipped via live.com cashback. I found the HK 254 and the 606 for a bit more than 400.

So many people seem to have issues with HK (obivously) and the pioneer seems to have more issues that Onkyo, plus i don't get Adyussey (SP) eq setup sooo.

Should i just get a 606 and be don't with it???

Got Plasma?!?! Crush the LCD propaganda!!

current system setup
post #7114 of 9489 Old 03-30-2009, 04:34 PM

Hello, I just got my 606 and curently only have it hooked up to my projector via HDMI. I dont have my 5.1 speakers or my ps3 hooked up yet, but I want to setup as much of the settings as I can before I am able to hook up everything. I think I read somewhere that for a 5.1 ch setup and a ps3, that you want it set to multich, but multich only works with the dvd, and not the game/tv setting that my ps3 will be hooked up too. Is there a way of changing it to work with my ps3? I am also getting the PLII symbol when I am in the game/tv setting, which I read is good for a 7.1 setup, but for a 5.1 I think that I need the multich. All my listening modes are set to last valid, so I dont know why I am getting that symbol? Is there anyway of changing that, or will it change once I get everything hooked up? Also When I hit display while under game/tv, it shows up as "GAM T-D" ,What does that mean? Thanks in advance
post #7115 of 9489 Old 03-30-2009, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rskater3 View Post

Hello, I just got my 606 and curently only have it hooked up to my projector via HDMI. I dont have my 5.1 speakers or my ps3 hooked up yet, but I want to setup as much of the settings as I can before I am able to hook up everything. I think I read somewhere that for a 5.1 ch setup and a ps3, that you want it set to multich, but multich only works with the dvd, and not the game/tv setting that my ps3 will be hooked up too. Is there a way of changing it to work with my ps3? I am also getting the PLII symbol when I am in the game/tv setting, which I read is good for a 7.1 setup, but for a 5.1 I think that I need the multich. All my listening modes are set to last valid, so I dont know why I am getting that symbol? Is there anyway of changing that, or will it change once I get everything hooked up? Also When I hit display while under game/tv, it shows up as "GAM T-D" ,What does that mean? Thanks in advance

Go into the receiver's setup and disable the Surround Back speakers. Then connect your PS3, go into the PS3 setup and select the HDMI audio connector. Let your PS3 automatically select the correct audio formats.

You might be confusing the Multi-Ch inputs and Multi-Ch button on your remote with the Mulichannel listening mode. They're two different things. If your PS3 is configured for LPCM, you'll be able to select the multichannel listening mode.

PLII is for 5.1 and under. PLIIx is for 7.1.
post #7116 of 9489 Old 03-30-2009, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kplex View Post

Go into the receiver's setup and disable the Surround Back speakers. Then connect your PS3, go into the PS3 setup and select the HDMI audio connector. Let your PS3 automatically select the correct audio formats.

You might be confusing the Multi-Ch inputs and Multi-Ch button on your remote with the Mulichannel listening mode. They're two different things. If your PS3 is configured for LPCM, you'll be able to select the multichannel listening mode.

PLII is for 5.1 and under. PLIIx is for 7.1.

Thanks for clearing those things up for me. That was very helpful, and I will try it out once I get my cables to hook everything up. Do you know what the "GAM-T-D" stands for? Thanks again.
post #7117 of 9489 Old 03-30-2009, 06:41 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcg9381 View Post

I've been doing a little more digging and I've found a few issues with HDMI compatibility issues:
1) Onkyo seems to have a fair number of compatibility issues with any sort of after-the-amp repeater, extender or switch. References:
a) http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1131843
b) http://www.avforums.com/forums/onkyo...splitters.html
c) http://www.amazon.com/gp/cdp/member-...R1HQRZNCHR3Q2C

Also note that the 606b manual says that this receiver isn't compatible with "PC" HDMI signals - so I'm expecting some issues with HDMI / DVI etc.

My entire point of buying this thing was having a means of doing HDMI switching in a media closet - over long HDMI runs... Having big problems accomplishing this at the current time.

Monprice sells cables up to 131ft. Do you really need a repeater?
post #7118 of 9489 Old 03-30-2009, 08:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for clearing those things up for me. That was very helpful, and I will try it out once I get my cables to hook everything up. Do you know what the "GAM-T-D" stands for? Thanks again.

I think it means Game/TV input, Theater Dimensional listening mode.
post #7119 of 9489 Old 03-30-2009, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kplex View Post

I think it means Game/TV input, Theater Dimensional listening mode.

Thank you
post #7120 of 9489 Old 03-30-2009, 09:43 PM

Would the Direct setting under the listening mode be good for the PS3?
post #7121 of 9489 Old 03-31-2009, 06:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Would the Direct setting under the listening mode be good for the PS3?

The Direct listening mode turns off bass management as well as turning off Audyssey equalization and the tone controls. On most systems the multichannel listening mode sounds better.
post #7122 of 9489 Old 03-31-2009, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by crakarjax View Post

There's a good article on the BlueJeans Cable site that explains why long runs of HDMI are such a dog's breakfast. Basically, if the source device and destination are nicely optimized for impedance matching the cable, then long runs are possible, but any truly HDMI1.3 content (e.g. deep color) will challenge the signal integrity.

Signal repeaters (with amplifiers) mid-way for long runs might help, or might hinder, depending on design and implementation. It really is hit or miss, AFAIK.

The Onkyo 606 seems to be a factor in many people's configuration for HDMI signal integrity - whether that is the Onkyo's fault, or whether it is just a case of the 606 amplifying (pun intended) a marginally bad situation into a truly bad situation, is unknown to me.

Just MHO, with a lot of AFAIK sprinkled on top,

shinksma

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my captors.
post #7123 of 9489 Old 03-31-2009, 10:17 AM

Quote:

Monoprice sells great stuff. I didn't do single run cables throughout the entire house - and most documentation over HDMI indicates that runs of that length wouldn't be supported at bus power levels...

The second issue is that this house now has drywall up.. In addition to drywall, exterior walls (that have HDMI cables) also have spray in foam insulation.

I wasn't aware of repeater compatibility issues up front.... I may try a video only run over a stretch of cat5e - but I have no idea if that will work or not.

After that, I'm going to ditch the 606b receiver...
post #7124 of 9489 Old 03-31-2009, 02:44 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 19
You should probably try a different receiver before you ditch the 606. From an engineering standpoint, a repeater should be invisible to your processing chain. Therefor, the 606 should not have any problem in particular with the repeater... unless it is a bad repeater.
post #7125 of 9489 Old 03-31-2009, 03:34 PM

Finally solved my audio problems with my Sony BDP-S350. Well, sort of.

It seems like bitstream (the "direct" mode) is the way to go. At least for pure sound. The other output mode is "mix" which gives you all the secondary tracks, menu sounds, etc. Do I really use that stuff anyway? I hope not because I'd have to do without DTS-HD Master Audio.

So, despite Home Theater magazine's advice on this very subject in this month's letters column, I can't just "set it and forget it," with the player doing all the decoding. Not without losing DTS.

Oh, well. The upside is I've got some pretty new lights on the Onkyo, plus some readouts I've never seen before. It actually specifically says it's receiving Master Audio (or some abbreviated version of the words), and there's a corresponding listening mode, which was news to me. I'd never seen it before. (Only Multichannel when I was receiving PCM.)

At least I know I'm getting the real thing.
post #7126 of 9489 Old 03-31-2009, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinksma View Post

The "problem" could be "both" or "neither". HDMI signals that are not quite strong enough when they arrive at the PJ (but may be within tolerance at the source) would exhibit this type of behavior. Whether it is poor sensitivity on the PJ, or mediocre HDMI signal strength from the 606 will be hard to diagnose without being able to swap out either device for an alternate (do you have an HDMI TV or another HDMI receiver?).

So it's probably a combo effect: with other PJs/TVs, the 606 plays nice, and maybe with other receivers or direct to source, the PJ plays nice, but they don't see eye-to-eye to each other, for some reason. (Or is that they don't see HDMeye-to-HDMeye, yuk yuk...)

Or maybe 606 attenuates the signal just ever so slightly, so that strong signals from the 360 and 722 go through just fine, but weaker signals from the PS3 and Wii, although still well within spec, get attenuated just enough going through the 606 that the PJ is unhappy. So you've got a triple-combo effect there.

I would try to borrow alternate equipment from a friend if you don't have any of yourself, and experiment with various swaptronics.

Just a few suggestions,

shinksma

Well, I swapped out the SR606 for my brother's SR605 tonight. Everything worked like it should. The handshake between the PS3/SR605/Epson was immediate upon power-up (no more 2 minute handshake delay). I'll try contacting Onkyo this week to talk about the issue.
post #7127 of 9489 Old 03-31-2009, 08:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3pwood View Post

Well, I swapped out the SR606 for my brother's SR605 tonight. Everything worked like it should. The handshake between the PS3/SR605/Epson was immediate upon power-up (no more 2 minute handshake delay). I'll try contacting Onkyo this week to talk about the issue.

Cool. Swaptronics - the only way to diagnose half the problems with today's advanced equipment in a reasonable amount of time.

Hopefully Onkyo will be cooperative and get your unit turned around tickity-boo, as they say.

shinksma

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my captors.
post #7128 of 9489 Old 04-01-2009, 05:53 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
I know there is a lot of discussion on this topic in this thread -- The buzzing sound with some speakers when using HDMI outputs. I've got it on my new refurb SR606, through my PS3 HDMI. Much less buzz when using my Xbox 360 HDMI.

Have you folks sent yours back for a replacement in the hopes you would get one without the buzz, or just tried swapping HDMI cables and such?
post #7129 of 9489 Old 04-01-2009, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3pwood View Post

If the 606 works in your brother's system, might consider swaping receivers.

You'd give up Dynamic EQ, but gain a workable connection with your components and having to deal with Onkyo service. Their response to most every issue is "Gee, that's the first time we've heard of that". It goes down hill after that.
post #7130 of 9489 Old 04-01-2009, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydu View Post

If the 606 works in your brother's system, might consider swaping receivers.

You'd give up Dynamic EQ, but gain a workable connection with your components and having to deal with Onkyo service. Their response to most every issue is "Gee, that's the first time we've heard of that". It goes down hill after that.

I've considered that. But I like the extra HDMI in's with the 606 (4 vs. 2). And I'm not sure he'd be thrilled to swap for a receiver that appears to be sensitive with some displays. I'll start with Onkyo and see where that gets me.
post #7131 of 9489 Old 04-01-2009, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradP View Post

I know there is a lot of discussion on this topic in this thread -- The buzzing sound with some speakers when using HDMI outputs. I've got it on my new refurb SR606, through my PS3 HDMI. Much less buzz when using my Xbox 360 HDMI.

Have you folks sent yours back for a replacement in the hopes you would get one without the buzz, or just tried swapping HDMI cables and such?

Along these lines, has the buzzing issue been resolved by Onkyo in the newer (non-refurb) models? Is the issue related only to the LPCM as it seems?

Thanks in advance. Trying to decide if this is reason not to get this AVR
post #7132 of 9489 Old 04-01-2009, 11:15 AM

Quote:

You should probably try a different receiver before you ditch the 606. From an engineering standpoint, a repeater should be invisible to your processing chain. Therefor, the 606 should not have any problem in particular with the repeater... unless it is a bad repeater.

"should be" is a big should. These are digital signals with handshakes. Unless the specs are very strong and there is industry standard compatibility testing, I think the chances of issues are high...

Note, I've tried different repeaters - I have 4 of the monoprice version and a completely different repeater set also. Other Onkyo owners also indicate issues with HDMI repeaters, extenders, splitters, etc.
post #7133 of 9489 Old 04-01-2009, 11:48 AM

Quote:

I had the Buzz on my 606 after I ran the Audessy setup, it would go away (dramtically reduce) when I switched the DynamicEQ to "OFF". The problem ended up being a ground loop issue from my digital cable. When I disconnected the coax on my cable box the buzz stopped. I found my solution here http://www.jensen-transformers.com/datashts/vrd1ff.pdf"]http://www.jensen-transformers.com/datashts/vrd1ff.pdf
(sorry I can not post links yet the item is a JENSEN VRD-1FF)

That little guy ended the annoying buzz while still alowing me to watch digital TV. Then only negative is the price. I have seen other threads on here discussing similar solutions to this problem. I hope this helps some people with the buzz issue.
post #7134 of 9489 Old 04-01-2009, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by WishinItWas View Post

I had the Buzz on my 606 after I ran the Audessy setup, it would go away (dramtically reduce) when I switched the DynamicEQ to "OFF". The problem ended up being a ground loop issue from my digital cable. When I disconnected the coax on my cable box the buzz stopped. I found my solution here http://www.jensen-transformers.com/datashts/vrd1ff.pdf"]http://www.jensen-transformers.com/datashts/vrd1ff.pdf
(sorry I can not post links yet the item is a JENSEN VRD-1FF)

That little guy ended the annoying buzz while still alowing me to watch digital TV. Then only negative is the price. I have seen other threads on here discussing similar solutions to this problem. I hope this helps some people with the buzz issue.

You fixed the issue yourself, but a poorly grounded cable service should be corrected by the cable company for you, at no expense to you.
post #7135 of 9489 Old 04-01-2009, 12:37 PM

Quote:

Yeah, sounds like you got the one I sent back.

Just kidding!

I've had mine for four months now...no hums, no buzzes, no runs, no drips, no errors.
post #7136 of 9489 Old 04-01-2009, 12:37 PM

This is true, however I live in an apartment in NYC and who knows what the grounding situation looks like for my building. Battling Time Warner Cable always ends up in a loss so I felt this option would solve my problem quickly and without hassle. I do agree that the cable company should be contacted first for this issue.
post #7137 of 9489 Old 04-01-2009, 12:37 PM

I was referring to the buzz/hum issue that seems to be related to the LPCM from PS3 (over HDMI). This issue seems to be a problem with the 606, not something that can be fixed except by Onkyo.

Is this resolved on the newer issue 606's or still a problem?
post #7138 of 9489 Old 04-01-2009, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zepman View Post

I was referring to the buzz/hum issue that seems to be related to the LPCM from PS3 (over HDMI). This issue seems to be a problem with the 606, not something that can be fixed except by Onkyo.

Is this resolved on the newer issue 606's or still a problem?

I recieved my 606 about two weeks ago, had the buzz that is discussed in my privious post on all components connected to the reciever including my PS3 via HDMI. This buzz is also gone.
post #7139 of 9489 Old 04-01-2009, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WishinItWas View Post

I recieved my 606 about two weeks ago, had the buzz that is discussed in my privious post on all components connected to the reciever including my PS3 via HDMI. This buzz is also gone.

Glad to hear it is gone. But regardless, this does not sound like the same issue that others have had.
post #7140 of 9489 Old 04-01-2009, 01:06 PM

So when the PS3 is connected via HDMI and the audio settings are set to output in LPCM people are experenceing a buzz through the 606, but if they switch the audio to output in Bitstream or use an Optical connection there is no buzz?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page