The Onkyo TX-SR606 Owners Thread - Page 247 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #7381 of 9465 Old 04-27-2009, 12:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm also a new(b) poster (lurked a while)...so take my untrained ears & statements with a grain of salt. my only audio experience is live sound & recording studio....home theater = i have no idea.

I recently upgraded to the 606 from a Sony I used to have.

My configuration (hdmi end-to-end): PS3 --> Receiver --> TV

I only have 5 speakers at the moment and they're old, crappy KLH wal-mart/best buy specials (don't remember where I got them).

After I got everything hooked up where I wanted them, i ran a series of "tests" to familiarize myself with the unit (volume @ 40 for all of them).

BD selection #1 (TrueHD 5.1) - Iron Man. Chose this one b/c of the opening convoy scene. There were good dynamics...but missing lows...a LOT of the lows were missing...was almost wondering if my sub was getting any juice (it's also a crappy KLH from same HTIB system). The Sony I had had a "bass boost" on it, and we were still able to get a bass presence on the same player & movie. I never ran any official frequency tests, but my guess is that the Sony @ my settings was hitting down into the 60-80hz range with the boost on vs. the most likely 100-120hz range w/ the 606 + Iron Man. So far....wasn't very happy with what I was hearing (i like my explosions to be felt as much as heard....if the cats just look up and not run...something's wrong LOL).

OK....now that I'm hating this system b/c the response isn't what I'm used to...i started playing with it. I had the manual handy, but I'd rather learn by using nature's gift (hands & ears :P ). FIRST thing I did was run Audessey afterwards.

Played the movie again....much better dynamic range for the room....but still weaker on the bass than I'm used to. Frustrated, I go & get a different movie b/c I'm curious as to what the "problem" is (most likely, the person setting it up...aka me).

BD Selection #2 (DTS-HD 5.1) - Quantum of Solace. HOLY CRAP!!! Now I finally hear what the system's supposed to be able to do (if even thru crappy speakers). Dynamic positioning of the surround mix was amazing & crystal clear, bass was a lot more prevalent, etc. Loved it! (that & I like the new Bond).

Overall I'm lovin it. I'm sure once I get better speakers, it'll come alive a lot more (as soon as I find some under/at $400).

This may not be the right place, and if so, I apologize in advance....

Coming into the 606 from a PS3 - Bitstream or PCM in the PS3 setup? Everything else I have set to passthrough/direct. I'm presuming the codecs/processors in the 606 is better than the PS3.....would it be best to have the 606 continue to do the upscaling or whatever or have the PS3 do it internally?

I have other questions, but still trying to find the discussions on them (TrueHD vs. DTS-HD for example). I understand codec speak, even if I dunno the science behind them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7382 of 9465 Old 04-27-2009, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhorizons View Post

Coming into the 606 from a PS3 - Bitstream or PCM in the PS3 setup? Everything else I have set to passthrough/direct. I'm presuming the codecs/processors in the 606 is better than the PS3.....would it be best to have the 606 continue to do the upscaling or whatever or have the PS3 do it internally?

I have other questions, but still trying to find the discussions on them (TrueHD vs. DTS-HD for example). I understand codec speak, even if I dunno the science behind them.

welcome to the forums!
glad to hear the 606 is working out so far. audyssey makes a huge difference. if bass response continues to be an issue, there are a number of posts scattered throughout this thread discussing what your volume and crossover settings should be set at when running audyssey. i don't remember off the top of my head (i think your crossover should be turned off and volume should be between 1/3 and 1/2?) but i'm sure a few of the more knowledgeable folks will point you in the right direction.

you'll want to set your PS3 to PCM. it cannot bitstream the HD audio codecs, so if it's set to bitstream, you'll be limited to Dolby Digital or DTS rather than their HD counterparts. Setting it to PCM will allow it to decode the HD audio before it sends the signal to the 606. Note that the 606 will only display "PCM Multichannel" (or something similar) rather than "True HD" or "DTS-MA" (or whatever it displays when receiving the HD audio codecs in bitstream form), but that you will be getting the HD audio nonetheless.

As far as upscaling goes, the 606 does not apply any video processing to sources coming in via HDMI. Having it set to "through" is probably best, though, in case you do add something connected via component or some other connection, as the general consensus is that the 606's video-processing capabilities are sub-par and it's better to let the source component or your display handle it.
post #7383 of 9465 Old 04-27-2009, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
Quote:

Played the movie again....much better dynamic range for the room....but still weaker on the bass than I'm used to. Frustrated, I go & get a different movie b/c I'm curious as to what the "problem" is (most likely, the person setting it up...aka me).

This may not be the right place, and if so, I apologize in advance....

1) Use the Audio button on your remote to enter the audio settings. Check to see if Audyssey set your subwoofer to -15, which it seems to do to a lot of us. That would effect the amount of bass being heard (especially on an LFE heavy disc like Iron Man).

2) PCM for the PS3. This will allow you to use the DTS-MA and True-HD soundtracks (press the center button on your PS3 remote to see what is being sent during a movie).

3) Leave HDMI to passthrough. The scaler isn't going to help BD. It's good for scaling a Wii to 1080i, but that's about it.

Hope that helps.

I'll be departing from my 606 shortly as my Pioneer Elite just arrived. Sad day as I loved my 606 (only about 4 months old too - just a baby!).

XBL & PSN - Harpua77
post #7384 of 9465 Old 04-27-2009, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkwarren View Post

I am new to the forum, so if this topic has already been discussed please forgive me. I recently purchased the Onkyo TX-SR606 and am running a DirecTV HD DVR via HDMI through the receiver to a Philips 1080p LCD TV. The picture quality is worse than horrible. I can best describe it as shaded fuzziness - impossible to watch. When I bypass the receiver and go straight from the DVR to the TV via HDMI the picture is perfect. I am hoping that I've missed a setting somewhere that is causing this. Any suggestions?

Have you tried setting the HDMI output resolution to "Through" under the "Hardware" settings?

post #7385 of 9465 Old 04-27-2009, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballen420 View Post

1) Use the Audio button on your remote to enter the audio settings. Check to see if Audyssey set your subwoofer to -15, which it seems to do to a lot of us. That would effect the amount of bass being heard (especially on an LFE heavy disc like Iron Man).

**snip**

Hope that helps.

I'll be departing from my 606 shortly as my Pioneer Elite just arrived. Sad day as I loved my 606 (only about 4 months old too - just a baby!).

It does help, thanks (thx to all responders present & future)! I don't remember exactly, but if you're talking about the "level adjustment" ....it's greyed out. I'll try w/ the remote when I get home...i have The Spirit to watch :P.

If it **IS** at -15, what should it be set to? Apologies for the slight thread derail...but since it's a 606 specific question...hope you don't mind too much.

Good luck w/ the new "family member." I'm sure it's gonna be awesome.
post #7386 of 9465 Old 04-27-2009, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleywwu View Post

welcome to the forums!
glad to hear the 606 is working out so far. audyssey makes a huge difference. if bass response continues to be an issue, there are a number of posts scattered throughout this thread discussing what your volume and crossover settings should be set at when running audyssey. i don't remember off the top of my head (i think your crossover should be turned off and volume should be between 1/3 and 1/2?) but i'm sure a few of the more knowledgeable folks will point you in the right direction.

To contribute to what Aleywwu suggests here, you'd want the LPF of LFE setting to be 120 Hz, thus allowing any LFE information in the stream to get to the subwoofer. There's generally not much above 80 Hz as the THX standard, but no reason to cut it out just in case. The gain should be between 1/3 and 1/2 when you're running the Audyssey setup. Is the sub a powered subwoofer or passive? You can always bump the calibrated level up by a few dB if you're not happy after running Audyssey.

I've got Iron Man as well and the first scenes are some of my favorite 5.1 mixing so far, but I get plenty of bass out of the Onkyo powered sub (10" 230W from the SKS-HT540 system; which, BTW, is a decent starting point for speaker collecting at under $300, 3 good LCR and some weaker 4 surrounds/back surrounds, and really decent bargain sub).

post #7387 of 9465 Old 04-27-2009, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It does help, thanks! I don't remember exactly, but if you're talking about the "level adjustment" ....it's greyed out. I'll try w/ the remote when I get home...i have The Spirit to watch :P.

If it **IS** at -15, what should it be set to? Apologies for the slight thread derail...but since it's a 606 specific question...hope you don't mind too much.

Good luck w/ the new "family member." I'm sure it's gonna be awesome.

Honestly, I'd adjust it to where you think it sounds good (try -5 as a mid-range). Chances are you center channel might be slightly low too (at least this has been my experience with Audyssey). To get into the menu, press the Audio button on the remote (or Receiver), then scroll down through the options - one is for sub and one is for center.

I'd also check the speaker settings as well to see if Audyssey set them to large or small. Change them to small if they aren't, and set the speaker crossovers to 80hz, and the LPF to 120hz. Easiest way to get to these settings is through the on-screen display.

Hope that helps some.

Just basic recommendations not knowing your speaker setup, but worth trying.

XBL & PSN - Harpua77
post #7388 of 9465 Old 04-27-2009, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Elitist...

p.s. That goes for you double, Andy o.

post #7389 of 9465 Old 04-27-2009, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlsteele View Post

Elitist...

Ha! Deal was way too good to pass up. My only complaint with the 606 was the lack of pre-outs, or I would have been keeping that baby. Best entry/mid-range receiver I've ever owned.

XBL & PSN - Harpua77
post #7390 of 9465 Old 04-27-2009, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ha! Deal was way too good to pass up. My only complaint with the 606 was the lack of pre-outs, or I would have been keeping that baby. Best entry/mid-range receiver I've ever owned.

I'm in the same boat on the preout issue, but you're absolutely right about its position in entry/mid AVR land. It's got more features at the pricepoint than anything else on the market. I'm trying like the dickens to hold out till I can either afford a pre-pro and amp at the same time or something akin to a 906 to hold me over till I can afford the separate channel amps. Here's hoping the wife doesn't change her tune too much over the next couple of years.

post #7391 of 9465 Old 04-27-2009, 01:38 PM

Quote:

Honestly, I'd adjust it to where you think it sounds good (try -5 as a mid-range). Chances are you center channel might be slightly low too (at least this has been my experience with Audyssey). To get into the menu, press the Audio button on the remote (or Receiver), then scroll down through the options - one is for sub and one is for center.

I'd also check the speaker settings as well to see if Audyssey set them to large or small. Change them to small if they aren't, and set the speaker crossovers to 80hz, and the LPF to 120hz. Easiest way to get to these settings is through the on-screen display.

Hope that helps some.

Just basic recommendations not knowing your speaker setup, but worth trying.

i have a potential point of clarification and a follow-up question (even though you weren't talking to me )

-potential point of clarification: i could be completely off on this, but IIRC, using the "Audio" button to change speaker levels gives you only a temporary change and causes the settings to revert back to what Audyssey selected when you switch sources or power off/on. For permanent changes, I think you have to use the Setup menu and corresponding sub-menus (sorry I'm not more detailed - I'm at work )

-question: why do you recommend changing the speaker settings to small? Audyssey set all of my speakers to full band (I have a full Polk Audio Monitor system (70s in the front, 40s in the rear and a cs2 center - the fronts and center have 6.5 inch drivers, and the rears have 5.25 inch drivers). I'm using a powered sub, and have double bass turned on for the fronts. Should I change any of these settings? I mean, it sounds fantastic as far as I'm concerned, but I don't want to do any avoidable damage...
post #7392 of 9465 Old 04-27-2009, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

i have a potential point of clarification and a follow-up question (even though you weren't talking to me )

-potential point of clarification: i could be completely off on this, but IIRC, using the "Audio" button to change speaker levels gives you only a temporary change and causes the settings to revert back to what Audyssey selected when you switch sources or power off/on. For permanent changes, I think you have to use the Setup menu and corresponding sub-menus (sorry I'm not more detailed - I'm at work )

Good point. I believe that is correct that it reverts back to the original settings. I couldn't remember how I did it - it was a few months back, but knew you could tweak them through the Audio button. I guess it would be worthwhile to use the Audio button to experiment though. Thanks for pointing out.

Quote:

-question: why do you recommend changing the speaker settings to small? Audyssey set all of my speakers to full band (I have a full Polk Audio Monitor system (70s in the front, 40s in the rear and a cs2 center - the fronts and center have 6.5 inch drivers, and the rears have 5.25 inch drivers). I'm using a powered sub, and have double bass turned on for the fronts. Should I change any of these settings? I mean, it sounds fantastic as far as I'm concerned, but I don't want to do any avoidable damage...

I'm not an expert, but I believe full band takes away from some of the lower frequencies that would be sent to the subwoofer if you were to set the speakers to small and an 80 Hz crossover. From my understanding, you should only use Full Band for music listening over 2 channel (where a sub is not being used).

It is also my understanding that you shouldn't use double bass, as there are delays between the signals being sent to your speakers that are set in full band, and those same frequencies are being sent to the sub. Just my understanding, so someone out there can correct me if I'm wrong.

It's worth a shot to try on your system to see what type of result you get. I like to tweak myself.

XBL & PSN - Harpua77
post #7393 of 9465 Old 04-27-2009, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Aleywwu is correct on this that you'll need to change the level calibration on the setup menus rather than the audio submenu to effect permanent change. Otherwise they'll always revert. Again, though, knowing better what kind of sub you're using will help us help you.

Quote:

Going with what Audyssey selects is the first and best option for most folks, as long as your performance of the calibration was up to the expectation of Audyssey's designer (no ambient noise, elevated listening position for mic, etc.).

Some folks could benefit from running some of their speakers as 80 Hz cutoffs even if Audyssey picks them as full range because that way the AVR is having less juice demanded from it, but the 80 Hz cutoff and lower is being carried by the self-powered subwoofer. That would typically reduce the heat produced by the AVR and increased the headroom for dynamic range power feeds.

post #7394 of 9465 Old 04-27-2009, 02:04 PM

thanks to ballen420 and nlsteele for the follow-ups. i'll have to do experimenting once i get home tonight...

as far as my calibration being up to the expectations of Audyssey's designer - i live in an apartment with paper-thin walls next to the 110 freeway in Southern California. Ambient noise is a way of life. I did unplug my fridge, wait until rush hour ended and use a towel to block the 3/4 inch gap under the door that leads to my deck, though Nonetheless, my calibration conditions weren't up to the expectations of a monkey, let alone the folks who designed Audyssey.
post #7395 of 9465 Old 04-27-2009, 05:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Elitist...

p.s. That goes for you double, Andy o.

Well I saw your picture of your JBLs and got myself a pair of Martin Logan electrostats (the cheap ones though) Haven't been delivered yet, but I got a great deal from a guy. Hopefully he comes through, but no reason to think he won't.
post #7396 of 9465 Old 04-27-2009, 05:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 70
The Iron Man BD has an error on it with Onkyo (and other) AVRs and it engages dynamic range compression. Be sure to disable nightmode to "off" and not "auto." Hit the "night" button on the remote to do this (I think that's the button...I haven't had the Onkyo in my house in almost a year).

David Vaughn

Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer

Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)

post #7397 of 9465 Old 04-27-2009, 08:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post

The Iron Man BD has an error on it with Onkyo (and other) AVRs and it engages dynamic range compression. Be sure to disable nightmode to "off" and not "auto."

That's right! I remember you reporting that in your detailed Iron Man Blu-ray review.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post

Hit the "night" button on the remote to do this (I think that's the button...I haven't had the Onkyo in my house in almost a year).

Unfortunately, the TX-SR606 Remote does not have a "night" button, ... that would just be too obvious.

The process for our setup is to ...

1) Press "Receiver" button

2) Press "Audio" button
.... a) You should see "Bass: 0 dB" in the TX-SR606 display

3) Press the Down-arrow twice until you read "Late Night: AUTO" (forced = AUTO by Iron Man TrueHD)

4) Press the Right-arrow button ONCE until you read "Late Night: OFF"

Have fun!!!
post #7398 of 9465 Old 04-27-2009, 10:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by piturra View Post

That's right! I remember you reporting that in your detailed Iron Man Blu-ray review.

Unfortunately, the TX-SR606 Remote does not have a "night" button, ... that would just be too obvious.

The process for our setup is to ...

1) Press "Receiver" button

2) Press "Audio" button
.... a) You should see "Bass: 0 dB" in the TX-SR606 display

3) Press the Down-arrow twice until you read "Late Night: AUTO" (forced = AUTO by Iron Man TrueHD)

4) Press the Right-arrow button ONCE until you read "Late Night: OFF"

Have fun!!!

Thanks for the clarification. Once fixed, "Iron Man" has a kick-ass soundtrack!

David

David Vaughn

Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer

Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)

post #7399 of 9465 Old 04-27-2009, 11:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy o View Post

Well I saw your picture of your JBLs and got myself a pair of Martin Logan electrostats (the cheap ones though) Haven't been delivered yet, but I got a great deal from a guy. Hopefully he comes through, but no reason to think he won't.

Hybrids are completely the way to go if you can spare the scratch, especially for stereo listening. Hope the guy comes through for you too.

post #7400 of 9465 Old 04-28-2009, 09:05 AM

Here's what I saw when I got home....

Sub: -9db
Center & surrounds: 0db
Measured feet was pretty accurate, i didn't take a measuring tape out or anything, but was pretty close.
Speakers I think were full & @ 150hz...i haven't changed those settings b/c i haven't seen the other replies at the time.

When the PS3 is on the video menu, you can't hit the audio button in my setup, it goes "not available." So, I had to stop the movie, switch the receiver to something else & back for the selection to work. I did this and was able to change the settings. Now question.....i just read it was only temporary (haven't gone back to look), how can I make it permanent when "level calibration" is greyed out in the menu? Should I do a factory reset, remembering the setting Audessey gave, and manually reset to listening preference?

The stage definitely filled up a lot more when I tweaked those settings (and could actually hear dialog). I finally found the model for the "gems" of speakers I have:
KLH HTA-4908 - which were good for a starter back then....but since...meh. I have a brand vs. brand question for speakers, but have put them over in the speaker section...
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...php?p=16357272

Again...thanks for all of your replies.
post #7401 of 9465 Old 04-28-2009, 10:50 AM

I connected GameCube through composite to the Game slot on back of 606. When I select 'Game' on the remote, I am able to use this GameCube. How do I now connect PS2. I only have composite plugs from PS2 which I connected to the 'DVD' slots (my actual DVD is connected to Component 1). But with this connection I am not able to use PS2.
post #7402 of 9465 Old 04-28-2009, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

In case anyone's interested, I recall someone having an issue of having purchased an open box 606 when CCs were closing left and right, but that it came without the Audyssey mic included. I was just dorking around on Shoponkyo to see what I could spend my club bucks on and lo and behold, you can now purchase replacement mics for any of their systems. For the 606, it's $13.90.

Hope this helps someone.

post #7403 of 9465 Old 04-28-2009, 12:21 PM

Hey guys,

I just moved to a new house and have not been using my 606 for a few months. Since I have moved and need to set up my HT again, I am getting excited about trying to make everything sound and work like it should. (set everything up the correct way) I just purchased new front speakers 2 = c100 energy and 1 = c-c100 I do not have these speakers yet (being shipped) but people seem to like them.

Anyway, my question is, should I just hook everything up and run the Audyssey or is there some other settings that I should tweek? I want to get the best sound as possible, but I do not really know what settings should be changed. I keep reading that some people are changing there crossovers and db's (I think) to there subs and mid ranges. Should I try this?

What do you think?

I running:
SA cable box HDMI
PS3 HDMI
Xbox 360

Sammy PN63C8000

Onkyo TX-SR605

HR44-700

HP-T5064 Still going

post #7404 of 9465 Old 04-28-2009, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dankfoot View Post

Hey guys,

I just moved to a new house and have not been using my 606 for a few months. Since I have moved and need to set up my HT again, I am getting excited about trying to make everything sound and work like it should. (set everything up the correct way) I just purchased new front speakers 2 = c100 energy and 1 = c-c100 I do not have these speakers yet (being shipped) but people seem to like them.

Anyway, my question is, should I just hook everything up and run the Audyssey or is there some other settings that I should tweek? I want to get the best sound as possible, but I do not really know what settings should be changed. I keep reading that some people are changing there crossovers and db's (I think) to there subs and mid ranges. Should I try this?

What do you think?

I running:
SA cable box HDMI
PS3 HDMI
Xbox 360

Hey, Dankfoot. Congrats on a new house! Given that the C100s are relatively sensitive and have a good range below 80 Hz you could go two ways. You could either take what Audyssey recommends, which will get you as close as most people could get to the ideal sound given their components and rooms, or if Audyssey sets your crossovers below 80 Hz (which is possible given the 55 Hz rated bottom end on these) you could bump them up to 80 Hz and let your sub carry anything below that on a rolloff. You don't mention what sub you're using or any other speakers, so I'm assuming on that one.

The benefit you'll get from running them at 80 Hz vs. whatever Audyssey sets them at (which IMHO will be close as doesn't matter to 80 Hz anyway) won't be much. You'll save some power that can be used to push them during difficult sections of movie or music (e.g., explosions or big crescendos), but with this few drivers being driven, you won't likely even notice the difference.

I suppose what I'm saying is you'll probably do best just running Auddysey as best you can (quiet room, elevated mic, etc.) and then bumping your LPF of LFE to 120 Hz once it's all said and done.

post #7405 of 9465 Old 04-29-2009, 05:59 AM

Quote:

Hey, Dankfoot. Congrats on a new house! Given that the C100s are relatively sensitive and have a good range below 80 Hz you could go two ways. You could either take what Audyssey recommends, which will get you as close as most people could get to the ideal sound given their components and rooms, or if Audyssey sets your crossovers below 80 Hz (which is possible given the 55 Hz rated bottom end on these) you could bump them up to 80 Hz and let your sub carry anything below that on a rolloff. You don't mention what sub you're using or any other speakers, so I'm assuming on that one.

The benefit you'll get from running them at 80 Hz vs. whatever Audyssey sets them at (which IMHO will be close as doesn't matter to 80 Hz anyway) won't be much. You'll save some power that can be used to push them during difficult sections of movie or music (e.g., explosions or big crescendos), but with this few drivers being driven, you won't likely even notice the difference.

I suppose what I'm saying is you'll probably do best just running Auddysey as best you can (quiet room, elevated mic, etc.) and then bumping your LPF of LFE to 120 Hz once it's all said and done.

Thanks for the reply nlsteele,

Sorry I did not mention my sub. I do have one, but I'm not sure of the name brand. My dad got it for me years ago from Radio Shack (I think) probably not the best but it works. Also, my back 2 speakers are older Sony's (not sure what kind). Basically everything I have ever used has been hand me downs from people until maybe a year ago I wanted my "own" receiver and after much research on this forum the 606 sounded right for me.

I do plan on getting two new back speakers to replace the Sony's but the wife isn't really happy with me now since I just got the Energy's.

I will run the Audyssey and see what I get.

Question.

1. How can you find out what the Audyssey set's your speaker's crossover at? Press the audio button on the remote and scroll?

2. Do you really need to turn off the air and fridge and kick everyone out of the house when you run the Audyssey?

3. In your last sentence. I am not sure what LFE and LPF are? Can you please explain?

Thanks
Dank

Sammy PN63C8000

Onkyo TX-SR605

HR44-700

HP-T5064 Still going

post #7406 of 9465 Old 04-29-2009, 06:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for the reply nlsteele,

Sorry I did not mention my sub. I do have one, but I’m not sure of the name brand. My dad got it for me years ago from Radio Shack (I think) probably not the best but it works. Also, my back 2 speakers are older Sony’s (not sure what kind). Basically everything I have ever used has been hand me downs from people until maybe a year ago I wanted my "own" receiver and after much research on this forum the 606 sounded right for me.

I do plan on getting two new back speakers to replace the Sony's but the wife isn't really happy with me now since I just got the Energy's.

I will run the Audyssey and see what I get.

Question.

1. How can you find out what the Audyssey set's your speaker’s crossover at? Press the audio button on the remote and scroll?

2. Do you really need to turn off the air and fridge and kick everyone out of the house when you run the Audyssey?

3. In your last sentence. I am not sure what LFE and LPF are? Can you please explain?

Thanks
Dank

You can review the setting in the 606 menu under the speaker menus. The LFE of LPF (or visa versa) is one of those settings) almost always gets set at 120, but if not, change it to that. Prior to running Audyssey, set your sub volume/gain knob between 1/3 and 1/2, and your sub's crossover to its maximum (or Off). If you change speaker crossovers from where the 606 sets them, never lower the settings, but you can raise them. Example, if speakers are set to Full Band or to 60, you can raise them to 80 so the sub does the low end work, taking some load off the 606. Some like to bump the center level (not crossover) up a couple of Db to raise dialog volume. Audyssey just reports its findings to the 606 and the 606 makes the crossover and speaker level changes. While Audyssey is fairly accurate, the 606 doesn't always follow the Audyssey guidelines, so it is best to check after running set up.
Changes made from the 606 menu stick, while changes made from the audio button on the remote are temporary.
post #7407 of 9465 Old 04-29-2009, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiSmuggs View Post

You can review the setting in the 606 menu under the speaker menus. The LFE of LPF (or visa versa) is one of those settings) almost always gets set at 120, but if not, change it to that. Prior to running Audyssey, set your sub volume/gain knob between 1/3 and 1/2, and your sub's crossover to its maximum (or Off). If you change speaker crossovers from where the 606 sets them, never lower the settings, but you can raise them. Example, if speakers are set to Full Band or to 60, you can raise them to 80 so the sub does the low end work, taking some load off the 606. Some like to bump the center level (not crossover) up a couple of Db to raise dialog volume. Audyssey just reports its findings to the 606 and the 606 makes the crossover and speaker level changes. While Audyssey is fairly accurate, the 606 doesn't always follow the Audyssey guidelines, so it is best to check after running set up.
Changes made from the 606 menu stick, while changes made from the audio button on the remote are temporary.

OK cool thanks.

Once I run the Audyssey I will report my findings to let everyone know.

Thanks,

Sammy PN63C8000

Onkyo TX-SR605

HR44-700

HP-T5064 Still going

post #7408 of 9465 Old 04-29-2009, 10:41 AM

Need help!

How do I connect both PS2 & Gamecube (both are composite) to my 606
post #7409 of 9465 Old 04-29-2009, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by v0430 View Post

Need help!

How do I connect both PS2 & Gamecube (both are composite) to my 606

Firstly you'll be aided by reading the manual regarding connections, but you can use any of the 4 composite inputs available (assuming you haven't put other things in those spots). You can also connect the PS2 via the component ins and then tie the composite audio in to that component in. Hope this helps.

post #7410 of 9465 Old 04-29-2009, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

1. How can you find out what the Audyssey set's your speaker's crossover at? Press the audio button on the remote and scroll?

Thanks
Dank

To add to what Skismuggs has already replied: 1) this will be displayed immediately after Audyssey runs as well (don't forget to scroll up and down and left to right with the remote to see them all) as well as under the setup menus, 2) I don't want to get you off on the wrong foot by telling you it doesn't matter, but a little ambient noise isn't going to kill anything (my furnace was on and the former upstairs neighbors were very noisy during a couple of passes) just be aware that if your results don't seem to make sense you might need to rerun under quieter circumstances--if you hear Audyssey retest the same channel with louder signals, that usually means the noise was too interfering and it has to recalibrate, 3) Low Pass Filter of the Low Frequency Effects channel (the .1 in 5.1, 6.1, and 7.1, etc).

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page