Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 9465 Old 06-05-2008, 08:07 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Biying decision.

I am trying to decide between this receiver and the Yamaha RX-V663 unit. I will be connecting a Samsung BD-UP5000 Blu-ray/HD DVD player and a Wii.

My main concern is the "popping" in the speakers and the heat issue. Are either/both of these deal breakers? The unit will be installed in the tv stand that is enclosed on 3 sides but there will be comfortable clearance on top/bottom/sides. I can get what I think is a good deal right now at my local B and M store but don't want heat issues or the hassle of firmware upgrades.

Thank you for your suggestions.

Regards,

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 9465 Old 06-05-2008, 09:55 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffthedrunk View Post

New 606 owner here. I have the toshiba HD A-3 player and have it hooked up through HDMI. I'm trying to get it to bitstream the audio to the 606. The problem is the receiver say's PCM no matter if I have the A-3 on bitstream or PCM. I know the A-3 can't bitstream DTS-HD but I'd like to be able to bitstream the Dolby True-HD to the 606. Any suggestions on what I'm doing wrong?

The A3 doesn't bitstream any advanced audio.
post #723 of 9465 Old 06-05-2008, 10:32 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderduck View Post

Biying decision.

I am trying to decide between this receiver and the Yamaha RX-V663 unit. I will be connecting a Samsung BD-UP5000 Blu-ray/HD DVD player and a Wii.

My main concern is the "popping" in the speakers and the heat issue. Are either/both of these deal breakers? The unit will be installed in the tv stand that is enclosed on 3 sides but there will be comfortable clearance on top/bottom/sides. I can get what I think is a good deal right now at my local B and M store but don't want heat issues or the hassle of firmware upgrades.

Thank you for your suggestions.

Regards,

Steve

I believe the 605 was the one that had the popping issue? I haven't experienced any popping. As far as heat, I don't have any other points of reference but my 606 doesn't get very hot at all, from what I've read they can get warm but it's not as bad as the 605s.
post #724 of 9465 Old 06-05-2008, 10:42 AM

My 606 arrives today and I am going to pair it with Polk RM6750 (not yet received) speakers and two in-wall (unknown brand, installed by previous home owner) rear surrounds. My question is about speaker placement. Will the included speaker setup mic tell me the best place to put the speakers or am I supposed figure that out on my own? I've noticed from the user manual that it calculates distance but it can't do that if I don't set the speakers up first. How can I place them in such a manner as to be able to test the setup while maintaining the flexibility to move them. I don't want to install mounts only to find I later need to move the mount to get the best speaker placement.

Thanks,
-Mark
post #725 of 9465 Old 06-05-2008, 10:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac707 View Post

I believe the 605 was the one that had the popping issue? I haven't experienced any popping. As far as heat, I don't have any other points of reference but my 606 doesn't get very hot at all, from what I've read they can get warm but it's not as bad as the 605s.

Thank you very much for that input. That is what I am looking from from owners of the unit.
post #726 of 9465 Old 06-05-2008, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

Sure you can use banana plugs with all the speaker terminals. Look at rear view picture in the link. Its up on Onkyo's website. The banana plugs go straight into the back of each speaker terminal, there is clearly an open hole right there. I've got an Onkyo 573 and the terminals are the same and I use banana plugs on my receiver.

http://onkyousa.com/zoom.cfm?class=Receiver&m=TX-SR606

Is this the authoritative answer? Has anyone verified this? I'd love to use banana plugs simply for a convenience but I don't want to order them and find out they don't' work.

-Mark
post #727 of 9465 Old 06-05-2008, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfaine View Post

My 606 arrives today and I am going to pair it with Polk RM6750 (not yet received) speakers and two in-wall (unknown brand, installed by previous home owner) rear surrounds. My question is about speaker placement. Will the included speaker setup mic tell me the best place to put the speakers or am I supposed figure that out on my own? I've noticed from the user manual that it calculates distance but it can't do that if I don't set the speakers up first. How can I place them in such a manner as to be able to test the setup while maintaining the flexibility to move them. I don't want to install mounts only to find I later need to move the mount to get the best speaker placement.

Thanks,
-Mark

The automatic setup will not tell you where to place the speakers. Look on the prior page of this thread for links to the Dolby and THX recommended room layouts.
post #728 of 9465 Old 06-05-2008, 11:04 AM

Quote:

Is this the authoritative answer? Has anyone verified this? I'd love to use banana plugs simply for a convenience but I don't want to order them and find out they don't' work.

-Mark

What more do you need for an answer and why wouldn't the banana plugs work?
post #729 of 9465 Old 06-05-2008, 11:06 AM

Ok, I can accept that.

I guess I just wanted someone to say that they have actually used them in a 606.

-Mark
post #730 of 9465 Old 06-05-2008, 11:12 AM

I am sure I am missing something simple but hopefully someone can help. I cannot see any video besides my hdmi input. I have a Optoma projector that supports up to 1080i with an hdmi>dvi cable going from the AVR-hdmi out to the projector-dvi in. I can view output from my hdmi inputs just fine but if I try to view my s-video or composite video via the hdmi I get nothing. I hear the audio but no video. I have two tivos - one composite to the avr and one s-video to the avr. I even tried s-video monitor out the projector and same result. However, if I go s-video straight form the tivo to the projector, that works. What am I missing? Thank you!!
post #731 of 9465 Old 06-05-2008, 12:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

-Mark

They work, I'm using them on my 606. They plug directly into the speaker ports.
post #732 of 9465 Old 06-05-2008, 12:25 PM

I can also confirm banana plugs work with the 606 just fine. Wish I would have had them when I first setup the system, it would have made things a little easier for me.
post #733 of 9465 Old 06-05-2008, 12:44 PM

At 1st it was no big deal since i watch alot of action movies but after watching a quiet blu-ray movie like Michael Clayton im really frustrated! With volume on 606 set to about 35 i hear this hum noise thru the speakers (5.1 setup)on quiet scenes. Even my wife heard it! Thats saying alot hehe. Pausing the movie causes the hum to stop until i unpause it. Tried both with dolby 5.1 and uncompressed 5.1 and its still there.
Players it set to bitstream for all modes. I tries bypassing hdmi audio and hooked up optical but its still there. The hum noise seems to change as scenes change in the movie. At one point i noticed it went away and went back to the same scene but this time the the hum didnt go away on that very same spot in the movie where i heard it go away momentarily so i know its not the movie plus i tried it today with a couple more blu-ray titles. Im really thinking its caused by the bd30 player.
Some listeing modes seem a tad worse tha others too. Anyone else with this combo experiense this issue? I may take back the BD30 player for another player... which one i have no idea.
post #734 of 9465 Old 06-05-2008, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tandb View Post

I am sure I am missing something simple but hopefully someone can help. I cannot see any video besides my hdmi input. I have a Optoma projector that supports up to 1080i with an hdmi>dvi cable going from the AVR-hdmi out to the projector-dvi in. I can view output from my hdmi inputs just fine but if I try to view my s-video or composite video via the hdmi I get nothing. I hear the audio but no video. I have two tivos - one composite to the avr and one s-video to the avr. I even tried s-video monitor out the projector and same result. However, if I go s-video straight form the tivo to the projector, that works. What am I missing? Thank you!!

Remember you have the tell the Onkyo the inputs are there and what they are for. See your manual for other inputs than HDMI!
post #735 of 9465 Old 06-05-2008, 01:19 PM

Quote:

Thanks,
-Mark

Generally you'd want to place the mic where the listener(s) will be. However, I'd trust in your ears more than the mic since in the end you'll be the one who'll appreciate the sound. If you have empty boxes or anything that can replicate the height of your speakers I'd use that to test speaker placements. Just place the speakers on them. That way you can move the speakers while testing.
post #736 of 9465 Old 06-05-2008, 01:45 PM

I have been watching this thread for a while, and finally took the plunge and bought a 606 from Amazon -> Tiger Direct.

The silver unit was going for what I consider to be pretty darn cheap. (think: 8, $, 3, and 0). There were only a few available and they are gone now, but a FYI for those still window shopping.

Thanks to all those contributing thus far and helping others out - I can't wait to get it set up! Well, I suppose I can since it is going to take a week for delivery.
post #737 of 9465 Old 06-05-2008, 02:43 PM

I've had my 606 for nearly a week and after a few teething problems was very happy with it. However, I have only been watching blu-ray and HD DVD since I got it, (both using HDMI and the reciever connected to an HDMi port on the Sharp Aquos TV).

There was something on TV I wanted to watch at long last (Reaper, last episode) and I seem to be getting picture interference. The V+ cable box is plugged in to the Sharp Aquos using the other HDMI port. The sound is ouput via an Onkyo optical port. I could plug the box into another Onkyo HDMI port but my daughter does not like using the receiver. If I use the Onkyo's sound the picture on the TV flashes every few minutes. If I put the receiver on stand-by or even switch it to another channel, I get no interference at all. There is no interference when using the blu-ray player or the HD DVD player.

I don't understand how the optical link could interfere with TV picture. This was the set up with my old Yamaha receiver and I never had a problem.

Does anyone know what could cause this?
post #738 of 9465 Old 06-05-2008, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amberite View Post

I don't understand how the optical link could interfere with TV picture. This was the set up with my old Yamaha receiver and I never had a problem.

I don't know what could cause this but it concerns me as I planned on using the optical out on my Aquos to the AVR to feed audio for QAM cable channels. Not the same as I won't be using the HDMI input on the TV but it concerns me none-the-less. I am currently doing that with my old Denon 1700 and I had almost decided on the 606 instead of waiting for the Sony DG920. Keep the list posted if you figure out what it is. You also may want to check over on an Aquos thread.
post #739 of 9465 Old 06-05-2008, 09:15 PM

Picked up my 606 (in Sydney, Australia) yesterday and after a few teething problems, all thanks to a faulty HDMI cable, it's up and running beautifully. Very happy that my trusty Oppo 971H works without a hitch (I was a little worried the DVI to HDMI plug might cause issues). The only problem is with the video signal from my cable TV box (Foxtel), which I'm running into the component inputs and then into my TV (a Samusng LCD) via a new HDMI cable. While some channels looks fine (and even benefit from the upscaling), others are horrible, with the picture tearing and jumping around every few seconds. This is regardless of whether or not the HDMI output is set to Passthrough, Auto or any other setting. There are no issues (besides the generally crappy picture quality of Australian cable TV) if I plug the components straight into the monitor.
Are there any tweaks I might try to fix this?
And am I right in saying that the Passthrough mode doesn't pass the signal to the monitor untouched? Regardless of the setting, upscaling or no upscaling, there's still an impact on the picture (hence the need to tweak sharpness, saturation, brightness etc through the amp).
Thanks for an informative thread:-)
post #740 of 9465 Old 06-05-2008, 10:58 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Willie View Post

Remember you have the tell the Onkyo the inputs are there and what they are for. See your manual for other inputs than HDMI!

Well, I am not sure what I'm missing. Here's what I've done. I've set the Input Assign for both HDMI an Component to "-----" for two different inputs, "VCR/DVR" and "CBL/SAT". One uses composite video and the other s-video. I have HDMI going out to my projector. I can see the Onscreen menu fine on the projector but just get a blue background. No video. I have tried changing the hardware setup for HDMI. In there I have tried every out resolution including auto. I have tried changing the zoom mode. No matter what I do I just get a blue background and no video. What else can I try. Thank you in advance for your help.
post #741 of 9465 Old 06-06-2008, 12:07 AM

Quote:

Well, I am not sure what I'm missing. Here's what I've done. I've set the Input Assign for both HDMI an Component to "-----" for two different inputs, "VCR/DVR" and "CBL/SAT". One uses composite video and the other s-video. I have HDMI going out to my projector. I can see the Onscreen menu fine on the projector but just get a blue background. No video. I have tried changing the hardware setup for HDMI. In there I have tried every out resolution including auto. I have tried changing the zoom mode. No matter what I do I just get a blue background and no video. What else can I try. Thank you in advance for your help.

If you get the blue screen that means there is no video signal. Are you sure you get sound in that case (blue screen)?
try for example connecting the receiver to the projector using composite cable when your input is composite, or s-video cable when your input is s-video and see what happens?
post #742 of 9465 Old 06-06-2008, 03:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenrider View Post

I'm curious to hear more about any "popping" issues with the 606. It sounds from previous threads on the 605 like it was a fairly common and serious problem.

Can anyone with a 606 report back on whether they experience popping A) during moments when the audio format switches, i.e. on a blu-ray menu and B) during playback? Particularly with common sources like the PS3 or the Sci. Atlanta 8300HD?

I'm deciding between the 606 and the Sony 820/920. I was leaning toward the 606, but the popping issue could be a dealbreaker.

My 606 is popping during bitstream of a DTS HD soundtrack (Rambo for instance). I have a Panasonic DMP-BD30. Have an e-mail in to Onkyo support now, and I see there isn't a firmware update yet like there was for the 605. This puppy will be marching right back to CC if I don't receive joy in a few days. Otherwise, the unit seems fine.
post #743 of 9465 Old 06-06-2008, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fraginsteindod View Post

My 606 is popping during bitstream of a DTS HD soundtrack (Rambo for instance). I have a Panasonic DMP-BD30. Have an e-mail in to Onkyo support now, and I see there isn't a firmware update yet like there was for the 605. This puppy will be marching right back to CC if I don't receive joy in a few days. Otherwise, the unit seems fine.

This is interesting, as I JUST watched this blue ray last night as well on my PS3 to my 606.

I was playing with both bitstream and linear PCM to look at the differences between the two, as well as the audio bandwidth.

Except for the sound dropping briefly when i switched modes... i noticed no popping at all.
post #744 of 9465 Old 06-06-2008, 05:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ercdvs View Post

This is interesting, as I JUST watched this blue ray last night as well on my PS3 to my 606.

I was playing with both bitstream and linear PCM to look at the differences between the two, as well as the audio bandwidth.

Except for the sound dropping briefly when i switched modes... i noticed no popping at all.

One difference is that a ps3 can't bitstream DTS-HD. When you switched to bitstream, I'm guessing you were receiving a core DTS track at ~ 1.5mb/s.
post #745 of 9465 Old 06-06-2008, 06:00 AM

Bitstream apparently being the culprit.
post #746 of 9465 Old 06-06-2008, 06:05 AM

but what I was saying is that I was watching the bandwidth usage (1.5 bitstreamed vs 3-4 mbps linear pcm) while going back and forth, and I heard no popping.

My PS3 is defaulted to bitstream, but it seems like I should be using PCM universally.
post #747 of 9465 Old 06-06-2008, 06:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ercdvs View Post

but what I was saying is that I was watching the bandwidth usage (1.5 bitstreamed vs 3-4 mbps linear pcm) while going back and forth, and I heard no popping.

My PS3 is defaulted to bitstream, but it seems like I should be using PCM universally.

If you're not ambitious enough to switch it back and forth between PCM and bitstream when going between legacy and new codecs (I'm not), then definitely leave it on PCM.
post #748 of 9465 Old 06-06-2008, 07:28 AM

Talked to support, this is the first reported occurrence for this model. Say they have to do a little research. I may do a little research myself by returning it for another one.
post #749 of 9465 Old 06-06-2008, 07:53 AM

Huh, Onkyo support called back and left a message, said I need to turn the volume down a bit (was running in the 50's during heavy Rambo gunfire scenes). I don't think so.
post #750 of 9465 Old 06-06-2008, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by fraginsteindod View Post

Huh, Onkyo support called back and left a message, said I need to turn the volume down a bit (was running in the 50's during heavy Rambo gunfire scenes). I don't think so.

Agreed. Volume during that movie needs to be 70+

"Life is a toy, play with it"
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page