The Onkyo TX-SR606 Owners Thread - Page 250 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #7471 of 9501 Old 05-04-2009, 01:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just curious maybe if it's set to "auto" the receiver turns it "on" when you manually turn down the volume?

But then again, why would there be a low and high setting on the other menu? Is High and Low respective to the amount of compression or merely the cutoff at what volume level the DRC kick into gear. This is interesting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7472 of 9501 Old 05-04-2009, 04:32 PM

Hey all,
Thanks for all the tips/tricks, I've been reading a lot and it kills me to post this...but I've been reading/searching/messing with my receiver and I can't get this going.
I have an mp3 player hooked up to an audio only input (CD) and can't get sound from anywhere but the front L/R speakers and center. Nothing going to my sub or rear L/R.
I absolutely want to be able to turn on my tv w/ HDMI in from DirecTV, switch to CD and still see DTV (which I can now), but...looking for help on for how to make the audio coming out of CD 5.1.
Thanks....please don't torch me, I tried!!!
post #7473 of 9501 Old 05-04-2009, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Woody, what audio format are you receiving? If you're receiving a 2 channel signal, you should be able to apply PLII(x). If you're receiving 5.1 or 7.1, then you'll have a problem matrixing it.
post #7474 of 9501 Old 05-04-2009, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kplex View Post

Woody, what audio format are you receiving? If you're receiving a 2 channel signal, you should be able to apply PLII(x). If you're receiving 5.1 or 7.1, then you'll have a problem matrixing it.

Thanks, the only display that is lit up is "direct". If this is not what you're asking, please let me know.
post #7475 of 9501 Old 05-04-2009, 07:03 PM

Try setting it to CD and mode to all channel stereo and see what happens. Also do you have double bass as an option in your OSD speaker configuration? I'm running my iPod/Laptop via the VCR stereo in connection
post #7476 of 9501 Old 05-04-2009, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyhighusa View Post

Try setting it to CD and mode to all channel stereo and see what happens. Also do you have double bass as an option in your OSD speaker configuration? I'm running my iPod/Laptop via the VCR stereo in connection

Went into setup 5-8, switched them all to "All Channel Stereo", still nothing. I don't see double bass as an option, should I?
post #7477 of 9501 Old 05-04-2009, 07:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by woody182 View Post

Thanks, the only display that is lit up is "direct". If this is not what you're asking, please let me know.

You're basically allowing the receiver to decide to use "Direct" mode for this input. Instead of changing the default mode by input (as you did in the setup menu) just try rotating through the mode selection while you're playing a CD by hitting the "Music" button on the lower row of white buttons on the remote and cycling through the options. Your 5.1 choices will include several PLII modes including "PLII Music," "Orchestra," "Studio-Mix" and others.

Hopefully that will help.

post #7478 of 9501 Old 05-04-2009, 07:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Went into setup 5-8, switched them all to "All Channel Stereo", still nothing. I don't see double bass as an option, should I?

Double bass is only an option if your fronts are full range.

post #7479 of 9501 Old 05-04-2009, 07:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

When you're trying to figure out problems with listening modes, you have to start by knowing what audio format you're receiving. Read through the section on "Displaying Source Information" in the manual, then post what audio format you're receiving.
post #7480 of 9501 Old 05-04-2009, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlsteele View Post

You're basically allowing the receiver to decide to use "Direct" mode for this input. Instead of changing the default mode by input (as you did in the setup menu) just try rotating through the mode selection while you're playing a CD by hitting the "Music" button on the lower row of white buttons on the remote and cycling through the options. Your 5.1 choices will include several PLII modes including "PLII Music," "Orchestra," "Studio-Mix" and others.

Hopefully that will help.

Trying everything, this says "not available"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kplex View Post

When you're trying to figure out problems with listening modes, you have to start by knowing what audio format you're receiving. Read through the section on "Displaying Source Information" in the manual, then post what audio format you're receiving.

Did this, it says "HDMIThrough"
post #7481 of 9501 Old 05-04-2009, 08:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:

Hey all,
Thanks for all the tips/tricks, I've been reading a lot and it kills me to post this...but I've been reading/searching/messing with my receiver and I can't get this going.
I have an mp3 player hooked up to an audio only input (CD) and can't get sound from anywhere but the front L/R speakers and center. Nothing going to my sub or rear L/R.
I absolutely want to be able to turn on my tv w/ HDMI in from DirecTV, switch to CD and still see DTV (which I can now), but...looking for help on for how to make the audio coming out of CD 5.1.
Thanks....please don't torch me, I tried!!!

Quote:

As nlsteele posted, you have Direct Mode enabled, which means that audio will be minimally processed, including only as many channels out as input. So 2-CH speaker out is expected. I'm surprised you are getting audio out of your center channel - you sure you aren't hearing a phantom center?

You should be able to get out of Direct Mode by pressing the Music mode button and cycling through to one of the other surround modes or regular stereo. I'm not sure why you have Not Avail displayed.

Do you have HDMI audio through to the TV enabled (and maybe the TV's audio muted or set to zero volume)? That will force it to all 2-ch modes.

shinksma

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my captors.
post #7482 of 9501 Old 05-05-2009, 04:44 AM

Hey guys,

I am about ready to pull the trigger on one of these Onkyo TX=SR606, just wanted to get something clarified.

I will be using a PS3 and a Time Warner HD DVR box.

Will I just have to use an hdmi cable from each component into the Onkyo, and then just one hdmi from the Onkyo to the TV?

I guess what I am trying to confirm is that the Onkyo does both video and audio.

I just don't want to have to run hdmi for video and optical for audio.

Thanks guys! You all rock!

Steve

post #7483 of 9501 Old 05-05-2009, 05:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87astro View Post

Hey guys,

I am about ready to pull the trigger on one of these Onkyo TX=SR606, just wanted to get something clarified.

I will be using a PS3 and a Time Warner HD DVR box.

Will I just have to use an hdmi cable from each component into the Onkyo, and then just one hdmi from the Onkyo to the TV?

I guess what I am trying to confirm is that the Onkyo does both video and audio.

I just don't want to have to run hdmi for video and optical for audio.

Thanks guys! You all rock!

Steve

Absolutely, just the one HDMI out to the TV, no optical audio required into the 606.
post #7484 of 9501 Old 05-05-2009, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinksma View Post

I'm not sure if we are having two separate conversions interleaved here... pun intended.

Just a quick note that what I am seeing does not resemble the Castle Toothing effect illustrated in the link provided by nlsteele. What I see looks like someone has done an extreme "smear" or skew effect across the top 1" of the screen, and then eventually the whole screen goes bonkers into a static solid-looking image. And once it occurs, changing stations does nothing.

I've seen it with live and DVRed material from SpeedHD, FoxHD, NBCHD, and probably a few other HD channels. I can't say for sure whether I've seen it with non-HD channels, but I had my cable box configured to always send out 1080i, even for SD channels. I did try changing that to 720p, and still got that weird effect. I didn't try 480p/i.

I did try to display the Wii for a while last night to see if it would recur, but it did not - dunno if I just didn't use it long enough, didn't have a hot-enough receiver (volume wasn't really high), or whether it is happy with 480p signals. Or maybe it is just unhappy with the 1080i/720p signal from the cable box.

shinksma

Shinksma, you and I have the exact same problem. "Tearing effect" would be a good way to describe the problem. It doesn't usually happen for me when watching most HD channels - maybe once or twice. When watching sports though, it occurs eventually, after 10-15 minutes of viewing. I have found sometimes though that the tearing effect disappears from time to time and then reappears later. Very strange.

This effect has never happened while watching non-HD channels, and it has never happened when watching DVDs or Blu-Rays on my blu-ray player (Sony BDP-S350). I don't have a gaming system, so I don't know about that.

I use component cables to hook the cable box to the receiver, because I'm getting an propriety error when using an HDMI cable (something about "not shaking hands" properly or something like that). I'd rather use an HDMI cable to reduce the clutter back there, but as far as I can tell there is no solution to that problem either.

All in all, a pretty frustrating experience. It doesn't completely detract my viewing, but it's annoying enough that I really wish a solution was at hand.
post #7485 of 9501 Old 05-05-2009, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Injektilo View Post

Shinksma, you and I have the exact same problem. "Tearing effect" would be a good way to describe the problem. It doesn't usually happen for me when watching most HD channels - maybe once or twice. When watching sports though, it occurs eventually, after 10-15 minutes of viewing. I have found sometimes though that the tearing effect disappears from time to time and then reappears later. Very strange.

This effect has never happened while watching non-HD channels, and it has never happened when watching DVDs or Blu-Rays on my blu-ray player (Sony BDP-S350). I don't have a gaming system, so I don't know about that.

I use component cables to hook the cable box to the receiver, because I'm getting an propriety error when using an HDMI cable (something about "not shaking hands" properly or something like that). I'd rather use an HDMI cable to reduce the clutter back there, but as far as I can tell there is no solution to that problem either.

All in all, a pretty frustrating experience. It doesn't completely detract my viewing, but it's annoying enough that I really wish a solution was at hand.

Yep, I concur with your observations, except that in my case eventually it got so bad (before I switched to HDMI) the tearing would eventually trip-over itself and cause the whole screen to go wonky, which it would not recover from without intervention like switching inputs or cycling power on the receiver.

If I had more spare time I'd re-hook-up my component cables and try to diagnose the issue. But based on what I saw, I think the Onkyo's component->HDMI upconverter gets "grumpy" with HD signals a little too easily, perhaps due to a bad signal feed from the cable co, perhaps just because the Onkyo can't handle certain video signal characteristics (like the data at the start of the signal frame for CC, etc) as well as it should.

Hmm, I have a second Onkyo in the HT room - I could hook up a spare HD DVD player to that via component and see if I can reproduce the issue there...but if not that wouldn't prove anything, since maybe it needs a cable-box produced 1080i/720p signal.

sigh...it is an interesting-enough problem, just not enough time to prioritize over the other billion things I'd like/need to do, since I have bypassed the issue by going all-HDMI for HD sources.

shinksma

post #7486 of 9501 Old 05-05-2009, 12:09 PM

Quote:

Yep, I concur with your observations, except that in my case eventually it got so bad (before I switched to HDMI) the tearing would eventually trip-over itself and cause the whole screen to go wonky, which it would not recover from without intervention like switching inputs or cycling power on the receiver.

If I had more spare time I'd re-hook-up my component cables and try to diagnose the issue. But based on what I saw, I think the Onkyo's component->HDMI upconverter gets "grumpy" with HD signals a little too easily, perhaps due to a bad signal feed from the cable co, perhaps just because the Onkyo can't handle certain video signal characteristics (like the data at the start of the signal frame for CC, etc) as well as it should.

Hmm, I have a second Onkyo in the HT room - I could hook up a spare HD DVD player to that via component and see if I can reproduce the issue there...but if not that wouldn't prove anything, since maybe it needs a cable-box produced 1080i/720p signal.

sigh...it is an interesting-enough problem, just not enough time to prioritize over the other billion things I'd like/need to do, since I have bypassed the issue by going all-HDMI for HD sources.

shinksma

I've never had the whole screen go wonky. Just the strip at the top.

So you bypassed it by going CB -> HDMI -> AVR -> HDMI -> TV? How do you get around the HDMI "not shaking hands" issue?
post #7487 of 9501 Old 05-05-2009, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Injektilo View Post

I've never had the whole screen go wonky. Just the strip at the top.

So you bypassed it by going CB -> HDMI -> AVR -> HDMI -> TV? How do you get around the HDMI "not shaking hands" issue?

Yep, that's what I did. My cable box (HD DVR) has no handshake issues with my receiver. IIRC, the cable boxes with handshake issues were the early HDMI-based models, and the DVI-only models. Not sure which models offhand, but I made sure when getting my HD DVR that is was a recent model, and not a first gen problem child.

YMMV though, and probably depends on how well your Cable Co handles hardware and firmware updates for their cable boxes.

shinksma

post #7488 of 9501 Old 05-05-2009, 01:21 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyhighusa View Post

Just curious maybe if it's set to "auto" the receiver turns it "on" when you manually turn down the volume?

But then again, why would there be a low and high setting on the other menu? Is High and Low respective to the amount of compression or merely the cutoff at what volume level the DRC kick into gear. This is interesting.

Apparently we're the only ones who think it's interesting.

Those are both valid questions, and there's no indication whatsoever from the manual about what these modes actually do, and I'd really like to know.

In the meantime, I'm going to have to manually go in to the Audio menu and switch those settings to Off (or check that it is Off) each time I watch a BD. This is Home Theater, after all. Not Musak.

I'd really be curious to know how other makes of AVRs handle this, or if it is just a peculiarity to Onkyo. Or specifically the 606.
post #7489 of 9501 Old 05-05-2009, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Hemi View Post

Apparently we're the only ones who think it's interesting.

FWIW, I think it's interesting. I'm just one of the sad sacks without a BR player so I don't have much to contribute other than reading. Write away!

post #7490 of 9501 Old 05-05-2009, 04:38 PM

Quote:

As nlsteele posted, you have Direct Mode enabled, which means that audio will be minimally processed, including only as many channels out as input. So 2-CH speaker out is expected. I'm surprised you are getting audio out of your center channel - you sure you aren't hearing a phantom center?

You should be able to get out of Direct Mode by pressing the Music mode button and cycling through to one of the other surround modes or regular stereo. I'm not sure why you have Not Avail displayed.

Do you have HDMI audio through to the TV enabled (and maybe the TV's audio muted or set to zero volume)? That will force it to all 2-ch modes.

shinksma

Looks like we're definitely in the midst of two conversations at one time.
To answer your question, yes, HDMI audio through to TV is enabled, which is what I want.
My setup:
HDMI 1 Input>DTV receiver
HDMI 2 Input> X Box 360
HDMI Output>To Samsung TV
Both have 5.1 surround and sound great
Note: I would like to continue running both of these with only the HDMI.

CD Input>2 RCA male to 1 1/8" male>Ipod

When receiver is turned from HDMI 1 or 2 to CD, I can still see tv video (my goal) but audio from CD is direct, I'm looking to make that 5.1 surround.
post #7491 of 9501 Old 05-05-2009, 05:28 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 19
So Onkyo wants me to shell out $30 shipping to send my unit to be repaired due to the HDMI buzz issue... Did everyone else have to pay shipping? Seems like BS to me.
post #7492 of 9501 Old 05-05-2009, 10:47 PM

I have a Playstation 2 hooked up to the 606 with component cables and then I use the HDMI output to scale the picture to 1080i. The 606s upscaling did wonders for some PS2 games so I really want to use it with PS1 games but when I try to play a PS1 game I get to the PS logo and after that the screen stays black, the sound still comes through though so I know the game is indeed running. If I use the component output on the 606 or just hook the PS2 directly to the TV then it works fine. I really want to make use of the upscaling but I just can't figure out what the problem is. I tried all of the different HDMI output resolutions: Through, Auto, 480i-1080i, but nothing worked.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
post #7493 of 9501 Old 05-06-2009, 06:34 AM

Hi, i finally can focus on getting the bluray on track. What is the optimum settings for the Samsung BD 1500 and Onkyo 606 to get the best sound, i am looking to blast U-571 or Master and Commander, thanks.
post #7494 of 9501 Old 05-06-2009, 06:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezdraft View Post

Hi, i finally can focus on getting the bluray on track. What is the optimum settings for the Samsung BD 1500 and Onkyo 606 to get the best sound ...

Calibrate your HT speaker's / pwrd-sub using Onkyo's Audyssey 2EQ @ 3-positions using the supplied microphone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezdraft View Post

... , i am looking to blast U-571 or Master and Commander, thanks.

Watching those movies with the sound set to the encoded English DTS-HD Lossless Master Audio 5.1 Surround (48kHz/24-bit) should do the trick!
post #7495 of 9501 Old 05-06-2009, 11:40 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Hey Guys,
I’m not sure if this post should be in the speaker thread or the AV threads but hear goes. (I will add it to both I guess)

I finally received my new Energy speakers. (Front, center, right = C100’s and C-c100) and got everything set up.

I ran my Audyssey, and this is what the Audyssey set my speakers as.

Please let me know if you see any issues that need to be changed.
SPEAKER CONFIG
Sub = yes
Front = Full Band
Center = Full Band
Surround = 150 Hz (Not sure about this one)
FPF of LFE = 120Hz
Double bass = on

LEVEL CALIBRATION
Left = +3db
Center = +2db
Right = +3db
Surround Right = +2db
Surround Left = 0db?
Sub = -12db

EQ = Audyssey
Tone Control = Front = Bass =0db
Tone Control = Front = Treble = 0db

Multiplex / Mono
Input = Main
Mono = Input = L+R
PLIIx Music (2ch input)
Panorama = Off
Dimension = 0
Center Width = 3

Neo:6 Music = Center Image 2
Dolby EX = Auto

Theater Dimensional = Listening Angle = Wide
Intelli Volume = 0db
A/V Sync = 0m sec

Listening mode = All inputs set to “last Valid”

On the back of my Sub is:
Frequency = 150 (I think this is wrong)
Volume = ½
Phase = Normal

Thanks for your help.
Dank

Sammy PN63C8000

Onkyo TX-SR605

HR44-700

HP-T5064 Still going

post #7496 of 9501 Old 05-06-2009, 11:50 AM

Set your front and center to 60Hz. You are not doing something correctly when running Audysey.
post #7497 of 9501 Old 05-06-2009, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

dankfoot, it looks like you have the gain knob on your sub set too high. That's why Audyssey is applying -12db of correction. At -12db, it your sub turns on and off automatically it might not get a strong enough signal to work reliably.
post #7498 of 9501 Old 05-06-2009, 12:13 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by crakarjax View Post

So Onkyo wants me to shell out $30 shipping to send my unit to be repaired due to the HDMI buzz issue... Did everyone else have to pay shipping? Seems like BS to me.

Anyone? I know a lot of you had this fixed...
post #7499 of 9501 Old 05-06-2009, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dankfoot View Post

Front = Full Band
Center = Full Band
Surround = 150 Hz (Not sure about this one)
FPF of LFE = 120Hz
Double bass = on

I'd concur with hrdluck that this isn't quite right. The manufacturers specs on those suggest that even with room reinforcement they can only boogie down to 50 Hz, so you'd want to set a roll off crossover at 60 Hz.

Quote:

LEVEL CALIBRATION
Left = +3db
Center = +2db
Right = +3db
Surround Right = +2db
Surround Left = 0db?
Sub = -12db

You might try turning your sub down to 1/3 volume and rerunning Audyssey to see if you get better balance with the speakers. It's turning them up an awful lot for good sensitivity speakers. What kind of wire are you running to them? How do you have them placed? Maybe if you took a picture or could provide a basic diagram we could help you out with placement too.

Quote:

On the back of my Sub is:
Frequency = 150 (I think this is wrong)
Volume = ½
Phase = Normal

The Frequency seems to be indicating your subs internal crossover, and so if that doesn't have an "off" setting, 150 Hz is the right way to go (that way the sub just says basically anything can get through and Audyssey gets to make the final decisions on stuff above 120 Hz).

post #7500 of 9501 Old 05-06-2009, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crakarjax View Post

Anyone? I know a lot of you had this fixed...

Just so you don't suffer in silence, I haven't ever had to send mine in for repairs, but I'd be a little mad if I had to pay $30 to fix their known issue.

Try arguing with them as to it being their responsibility for the fault and don't back down. Microsoft wanted me to send them a faulty cable at my own expense before they'd send out a replacement. I got them to send a replacement priority and they've never even asked for the one it replaced.

Stand your ground, cause nobody else will.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page