The Onkyo TX-SR606 Owners Thread - Page 253 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #7561 of 9471 Old 05-12-2009, 05:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Alas, I have been struck by the buzz bug. Bought the 606 from www.accessories4less.com about two weeks ago and have just been using it for a stereo setup (via optical) as I have been waiting for my surround setup to arrive. Well, set everything up tonight, plugged in my PS3 via HDMI and buzzzzz. Only happens with HDMI sources, as both optical and analogue are fine.

I have already filled out the return form, and I guess I can only really hope that accessories4less.com does the right thing with the return process. I actually had a good experience ordering from them, and I am hoping to purchase the replacement from them. I'll let you all know how it goes.

Has anyone upgraded to an 806 and had any buzzing problems? I think that is the direction I may go. What are your thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7562 of 9471 Old 05-12-2009, 06:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smeg36 View Post

Some blu-rays do have native 7.1 tracks, so you'd be getting a dedicated sound for each speaker. Sadly, it's less than you'd imagine that do. Most that I watch are still only 5.1. For watching a DD 5.1 track I usually set it to DD Ex to matrix the two surrounds to the surround backs. I may be wrong in setting it that way though. Anyone care to correct me? Should it be PLIIx, or DD Ex if you are using a 5.1 track?

smeg36,
Thanks for that info. I'll give that setting a try.
Ghpr13

Info=Knowledge=Understanding=Better TV!
I see dead pixels!
post #7563 of 9471 Old 05-12-2009, 06:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatGold View Post

Alas, I have been struck by the buzz bug. Bought the 606 from www.accessories4less.com about two weeks ago and have just been using it for a stereo setup (via optical) as I have been waiting for my surround setup to arrive. Well, set everything up tonight, plugged in my PS3 via HDMI and buzzzzz. Only happens with HDMI sources, as both optical and analogue are fine.

I have already filled out the return form, and I guess I can only really hope that accessories4less.com does the right thing with the return process. I actually had a good experience ordering from them, and I am hoping to purchase the replacement from them. I'll let you all know how it goes.

Has anyone upgraded to an 806 and had any buzzing problems? I think that is the direction I may go. What are your thoughts?

That I wish I'd had the money to afford an 806 when I was buying the 606?

That's quite the upgrade if you can swing it. A4L should be good to work with. There was someone who needed to return to them not too many pages ago and had a good experience (I had good experiences ordering two different things from them and with general customer service).

post #7564 of 9471 Old 05-12-2009, 10:29 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I wonder if the 607 will have this issue
post #7565 of 9471 Old 05-12-2009, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smeg36 View Post

Some blu-rays do have native 7.1 tracks, so you'd be getting a dedicated sound for each speaker. Sadly, it's less than you'd imagine that do. Most that I watch are still only 5.1. For watching a DD 5.1 track I usually set it to DD Ex to matrix the two surrounds to the surround backs. I may be wrong in setting it that way though. Anyone care to correct me? Should it be PLIIx, or DD Ex if you are using a 5.1 track?

I've found PLIIx is by far the best setting to leave it on all the time with a 7.1 set-up. It does a great job matrixing 5.1 to 7.1, and automatically switches to discrete 7.1 for movies/games that are actually 7.1.
post #7566 of 9471 Old 05-13-2009, 07:07 AM

What are your thoughts on the Neo 6 setting?
post #7567 of 9471 Old 05-13-2009, 12:16 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojhawks View Post

Page 69 of the owners manual says that the Late Night function can be used only when the source is DD,DD+ or True HD. For DD and DD+ the choices will be: Off,Low, High; For True HD, Auto, Off and On. So there is your answer.

Huh. I wonder why it is that Onkyo thinks only Dolby soundtracks are in need of compression? It doesn't matter to me; I'm only interested in having it Off. Still, I know others who use that Night Mode and wonder if they miss not having it for DTS material.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhorizons View Post

What are your thoughts on the Neo 6 setting?

Speaking of DTS...I like Neo 6. It's my go-to mode for Dolby 2 material. I like its matrix better than PL. But that's for a 5.1 system.
post #7568 of 9471 Old 05-13-2009, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatGold View Post

I'm sure they will as long as you're in the return time frame window which it seems you are. I've dealt with them often and imo they are top notch before and after the sale.

As far as the buzz problem. I can't comment on the 806 but I purchased a 706 in December and have no issues with PS3 or any other sources. No buzz and no sparkles.
post #7569 of 9471 Old 05-13-2009, 04:03 PM

I'm at a loss here.....I re-ran Audyssey after the Polk Monitor 30s were set up and this is what it came out to...

Front: 60hz
Center: 120hz
Surround: 150hz
LFE: 120hz

I adjusted front & center to 80hz on both. The thing that STILL boggles me...is that even though during the tests, the sub is barely able to be heard, and the center seems to be even with the front L/Rs...the db adjustments came out like this:

Sub: -6db
Center: -4db

Put in Indiana Jones 4 @ TrueHD 5.1....dialog was barely audible over the front ambients. Put in Quantum of Solice @ DTS-HD 5.1 (rear surrounds aren't hooked up yet) and the dialog was still barely noticible...so had to use the audio button to adjust the center and sub levels...but as already stated & known, those changes aren't permanent. Went into the menu and level calibration was still greyed out.

I would set everything manually...but have no idea what Audyssey sets the EQ at and couldn't see a way to display it. Go into the menu settings and EQ shows it's on that w/ no other display for what freqs are set where, etc.

Any ideas??
post #7570 of 9471 Old 05-13-2009, 05:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sub: -6db
Center: -4db

Put in Indiana Jones 4 @ TrueHD 5.1....dialog was barely audible over the front ambients. Put in Quantum of Solice @ DTS-HD 5.1 (rear surrounds aren't hooked up yet) and the dialog was still barely noticible...so had to use the audio button to adjust the center and sub levels...but as already stated & known, those changes aren't permanent. Went into the menu and level calibration was still greyed out.

I can't imagine why your level settings under the setup menu would be greyed out. Mine are not with Audyssey EQ active and running...

post #7571 of 9471 Old 05-13-2009, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlsteele View Post

I can't imagine why your level settings under the setup menu would be greyed out. Mine are not with Audyssey EQ active and running...

I'm using a PS3 --> HDMI --> AVR. It's currently set to LPCM. Could there be something there "locking" that function?

The more stuff I can't do that others seem to be able to, the more it frustrates me and questions my purchases...and it's driving me nuts.
post #7572 of 9471 Old 05-13-2009, 08:56 PM

Quote:

I'm using a PS3 --> HDMI --> AVR. It's currently set to LPCM. Could there be something there "locking" that function?

The more stuff I can't do that others seem to be able to, the more it frustrates me and questions my purchases...and it's driving me nuts.

you don't, by any chance, have the "lock settings" (or whatever it specifically is) setting activated, do you?
post #7573 of 9471 Old 05-13-2009, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleywwu View Post

you don't, by any chance, have the "lock settings" (or whatever it specifically is) setting activated, do you?

On the 606? No.
post #7574 of 9471 Old 05-14-2009, 01:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I don't have a PS3 myself and the only HDMI connect I've got going right now is a DVD player, so I can't speak to this one. Several people are PS3 owners, so hopefully someone will chime in. Kplex?

post #7575 of 9471 Old 05-14-2009, 04:10 AM
AVS Special Member

madhorizons, is it just the Level Calibration option that's grayed out on menu 2, or are all the functions grayed out? Is Level Calibration only unavailable when you select the PS3 as your input? What other settings do you remember changing in the setup? Did you change any of the HDMI settings on menu 7-5?

As an alternative to figuring out what's wrong, you could just do a reset and start over. If you want to go that route, the procedure is described in the Troubleshooting section of the manual.
post #7576 of 9471 Old 05-14-2009, 07:43 AM
Advanced Member

I have the Onkyo 705 and PS3 60gb...
checking off all the LPCM boxes will get rid of the HUM in the ps3 xmb menu...while having all the LPCM boxes checked i can confirm that the HUM is NOT present when playing blu-rays, but if you are playing an audio cd from the xmb the hum is present.
So for me...I use my PS3 mainly for blu-rays...so I am happy now...no hum while playing blu-rays with all lpcm boxes checked...
post #7577 of 9471 Old 05-14-2009, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kplex View Post

madhorizons, is it just the Level Calibration option that's grayed out on menu 2, or are all the functions grayed out? Is Level Calibration only unavailable when you select the PS3 as your input? What other settings do you remember changing in the setup? Did you change any of the HDMI settings on menu 7-5?

As an alternative to figuring out what's wrong, you could just do a reset and start over. If you want to go that route, the procedure is described in the Troubleshooting section of the manual.

Yes ONLY level calibration is greyed out. I don't have anything else hooked up, but when i switch to one of the other things like Game/TV, it stays the same. I have already done a factory reset. Yes, in troubleshooting i've monkeyed with probably every setting on the system....but the greyed out problem was there prior to doing much of anything.
post #7578 of 9471 Old 05-14-2009, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes ONLY level calibration is greyed out. I don't have anything else hooked up, but when i switch to one of the other things like Game/TV, it stays the same. I have already done a factory reset. Yes, in troubleshooting i've monkeyed with probably every setting on the system....but the greyed out problem was there prior to doing much of anything.

Any chance you have your receiver Muted? If so, turn off mute and see if that enables the Level Calibration.
post #7579 of 9471 Old 05-14-2009, 09:52 AM

No...was sure to have it unmuted.
post #7580 of 9471 Old 05-14-2009, 03:01 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
is there anything wrong with keeping zone 2 on all the time? it's hooked to my computer speakers so typically in the other room i just mute it on the computer rather than turn the whole thing off in the living room. it doesn't get too hot. does that sound like it could hurt the receiver after a while?
post #7581 of 9471 Old 05-14-2009, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffluck View Post

is there anything wrong with keeping zone 2 on all the time? it's hooked to my computer speakers so typically in the other room i just mute it on the computer rather than turn the whole thing off in the living room. it doesn't get too hot. does that sound like it could hurt the receiver after a while?

Other than power consumption or eventual fatigue of components from heat, I can't think of anything. If you're okay with the power drain and you don't detect any increased heat from leaving Zone 2 on, I don't see any issue.

post #7582 of 9471 Old 05-14-2009, 05:46 PM

Does anyone know if you can turn off the volume display that show up on the tv? I often adjust volume depending on action/dialog scenes.
post #7583 of 9471 Old 05-14-2009, 05:58 PM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 27
What inputs are you using that it shows the volume display on screen? I'm using all hdmi with no upconversion, and it doesn't show the volume on screen when adjusted. I used component upconverted to hdmi once, and it did. I'm not sure when it does and doesn't display the volume on screen.

post #7584 of 9471 Old 05-14-2009, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyfraz View Post

Does anyone know if you can turn off the volume display that show up on the tv? I often adjust volume depending on action/dialog scenes.

if you haven't, look in your manual, page 78, under "OSD Setup"
post #7585 of 9471 Old 05-14-2009, 07:58 PM

Liked: 12
I decided to disconnect my sub woofer from my Onkyo SR-TX606 as one less thing to disturb the neighbors.
So I set the front speakers (Infinity Beta 40 towers) to Full Band.
(Infinity Beta 20s surrounds, 80Hz)
Should the center channel (Infinity Beta C360) also be set to Full Band
Or would it work better (clearer voice?) set at 60Hz or 80Hz.

Yamaha RX-V671 receiver

Infinity Beta 5.1

post #7586 of 9471 Old 05-15-2009, 12:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoboy View Post

I decided to disconnect my sub woofer from my Onkyo SR-TX606 as one less thing to disturb the neighbors.
So I set the front speakers (Infinity Beta 40 towers) to Full Band.
(Infinity Beta 20s surrounds, 80Hz)
Should the center channel (Infinity Beta C360) also be set to Full Band
Or would it work better (clearer voice?) set at 60Hz or 80Hz.

IIRC the range of the human voice dips at lowest to 50 Hz, and with a spec'd bottom end of -3Db at 45 Hz, you could set a 50 Hz crossover comfortably and save any remaining amplifying headroom for other channels or dynamic passages.

How do you like the 360? I've eyed them a lot. Seems like really good engineering for a center speaker being a true 3-way with a vertical array of the mid and high (plus don't tell anybody but I've become quite partial to my JBLs so I know how helpful that tweeter waveguide is).

post #7587 of 9471 Old 05-15-2009, 06:17 AM

I have a case open with Onkyo. It looks like I may have a bug. Per the support tech I spoke with....Level Calibration should remain available all the time. I'll post the outcome here. It may be that I'll have to take it back and swap it for a new one. To be determined.
post #7588 of 9471 Old 05-15-2009, 10:10 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by nlsteele View Post

IIRC the range of the human voice dips at lowest to 50 Hz, and with a spec'd bottom end of -3Db at 45 Hz, you could set a 50 Hz crossover comfortably and save any remaining amplifying headroom for other channels or dynamic passages.

How do you like the 360? I've eyed them a lot. Seems like really good engineering for a center speaker being a true 3-way with a vertical array of the mid and high (plus don't tell anybody but I've become quite partial to my JBLs so I know how helpful that tweeter waveguide is).

I like my C360.
sounds good and my 42" LCD can sit on top of it.

Yamaha RX-V671 receiver

Infinity Beta 5.1

post #7589 of 9471 Old 05-15-2009, 11:29 AM

hey all

i'm having a problem with my setup right now and i'm now sure if it's my tv or the receiver...basically i have no sound coming out of the speakers whenever i'm watching television programming...

i have a 606 and a panny th-pz800u...and this is my setup:

606 -> tv through hdmi
606 -> ps3 through hdmi (GAME/TV)
606 -> 360 through component and optical digital (DVD)
606 -> rogers digital box through component and optical digital (CBL/SAT)

basically whenever i'm playing my 360 or the ps3 the sound works fine but whenever i switch on the digital box i can see the picture but there's no sound...the tv and the 606 aren't muted as i checked...

one thing i noticed was that whenever the tv is turned on, the receiver is turned on to the appropriate source (say, GAME/TV for the ps3), but the ps3 is not turned on, the tv's screen is blue...this is also the case for the 360 with the blue screen...however if the receiver is turned to CBL/SAT but the digital box is turned off, the screen is black (whereas it was blue before)...this is the first time it's happened in the 4-5 months i've owned this setup...

anyone know what might be the problem? i also have a 5.1 system hooked up but i doubt that's what's wrong...
post #7590 of 9471 Old 05-15-2009, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke_019 View Post

hey all

i'm having a problem with my setup right now and i'm now sure if it's my tv or the receiver...basically i have no sound coming out of the speakers whenever i'm watching television programming...

i have a 606 and a panny th-pz800u...and this is my setup:

606 -> tv through hdmi
606 -> ps3 through hdmi (GAME/TV)
606 -> 360 through component and optical digital (DVD)
606 -> rogers digital box through component and optical digital (CBL/SAT)

basically whenever i'm playing my 360 or the ps3 the sound works fine but whenever i switch on the digital box i can see the picture but there's no sound...the tv and the 606 aren't muted as i checked...

one thing i noticed was that whenever the tv is turned on, the receiver is turned on to the appropriate source (say, GAME/TV for the ps3), but the ps3 is not turned on, the tv's screen is blue...this is also the case for the 360 with the blue screen...however if the receiver is turned to CBL/SAT but the digital box is turned off, the screen is black (whereas it was blue before)...this is the first time it's happened in the 4-5 months i've owned this setup...

anyone know what might be the problem? i also have a 5.1 system hooked up but i doubt that's what's wrong...

Have you tried adjusting the audio out on the cable box menus?

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page