Forum Jump: 

post #7651 of 9471 Old 05-30-2009, 05:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhawker23 View Post

I can't take it anymore... Has anyone had success fixing the humming issue? I've seen the posts about switching the transistor, but I've seen a post where it didn't fix the issue, but I can't find a post that confirms the fix worked.

If 60 cycle AC hum, this worked for me.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...postcount=6309

If buzz or PS3 issue, I can't help. Sorry. But I think the buzz problem that required a circuit board component to be replaced only applied to the first-gen 606's. I would doubt that CC's closing stock would have been that old.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7652 of 9471 Old 05-30-2009, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiSmuggs View Post

Yep, HDMI input is untouched and leave the Hardware/HDMI setting at the default THROUGH so it will not upscale analog input. FWIW, even the 606 manual only recommends upscaling to 480p or 720p instead of 1080i.
In my case, I changed HDMI to AUTO because I got better results with a Flip Camcorder plugged into the 606 than I did with THROUGH.

Thanks for that. Have it all set up now, but having some other issues Im hoping somone can help out with

I have just set up my Onkyo 606 and Jamo S506 5.1 pack. The amp is getting sound without a problem, but when I crank it up, it shuts down into standby mode once I hit about 45-50 on the volume???

Couple of things that may be causing it, not sure though cos I'm a noob:

- The rear speakers aren't connected yet (need to get brackets for them), but the amp is wired. As soon as I get the brackets I will be right to go without the need to get back in behind the amp. Could this be causing it?

- Have not yet gone through the manual in detail to 'set up' the speakers. Have spent many hours on it today and am buggered, so I will be doing this tomorrow. I believe this needs to be done for optimal performance, ie tell the amp I am bi-amping, large fronts, small rears etc?

Everything is plugged in via HDMI, with one HDMI out to the TV.

Any other suggestions, or anyone experienced this before?

Thanks heaps.
post #7653 of 9471 Old 05-30-2009, 06:37 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

I can't take it anymore... Has anyone had success fixing the humming issue? I've seen the posts about switching the transistor, but I've seen a post where it didn't fix the issue, but I can't find a post that confirms the fix worked.

I have Dynamic EQ off which makes a significant difference, but there is still enough to distract me and I can't focus on anything else but listening to the buzz. It's just loud enough to drive you crazy!!

I wish it was as easy as just going out and buying a new receiver but that's not an option. I guess this is what I get for buying from Circuit City when they were liquidating. This whole thing with Onkyo is ridiculous. I've tried calling support over and over again. You can wait on hold for a certain period of time and then it disconnects you. I've tried the leaving a message for a return call method and that didn't work.

This actually has the potential to cause me mental harm... It is infuriating!!! Onkyo and I will be parting ways forever now. It's been said before... it's too bad because I would love the receiver minus the insanity it causes.

I was going to take it in to get the resistor replaced but I don;t want to be without it for 2+ weeks, so I am going to do it myself. I'll let you know my results, and maybe take pics of the procedure in case anyone else wants to DIY.
post #7654 of 9471 Old 05-30-2009, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crakarjax View Post

I was going to take it in to get the resistor replaced but I don;t want to be without it for 2+ weeks, so I am going to do it myself. I'll let you know my results, and maybe take pics of the procedure in case anyone else wants to DIY.

Great, I was wondering about that myself. Definitely take pictures and post your results. I'm sure it will help out a lot of us.
post #7655 of 9471 Old 05-30-2009, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatWombat View Post

I have just set up my Onkyo 606 and Jamo S506 5.1 pack. The amp is getting sound without a problem, but when I crank it up, it shuts down into standby mode once I hit about 45-50 on the volume???

Couple of things that may be causing it, not sure though cos I'm a noob:

- The rear speakers aren't connected yet (need to get brackets for them), but the amp is wired. As soon as I get the brackets I will be right to go without the need to get back in behind the amp. Could this be causing it?

Thanks heaps.

A short in the speaker wiring is the most likely cause of the shut down. I would remove the wiring for the rears and check it again. If it still does it, remove and reconnect the other speakers, carefully check wiring at both the 606 and speaker ends. All it takes it one stray strand.
post #7656 of 9471 Old 05-30-2009, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Great, I was wondering about that myself. Definitely take pictures and post your results. I'm sure it will help out a lot of us.

Jhawker23, just IMHO it doesn't sound like you're dealing with the Onkyo fix buzz issue. Yours really sounds like a minor grounding or even potentially interference on your sub line issue. Do you have your sub's line input running next to any power cables or other speaker wires? Have you tried unhooking your cable or satellite coaxial cables? The buzz issue caused by the resistor being too far down the food chain was a pretty loud and substantial buzz if I'm not off my rocker... surely some of these guys like crakarjax will comment on the nature of their problem to clarify.

post #7657 of 9471 Old 05-30-2009, 02:05 PM

Hello everyone. First post. Hope someone can please help me out.

I'll try and explain everything the best I can.

I've had my Onkyo 606 for about 6 months now with no problems. Then yesterday I go to turn on my PS3 and I'm not getting any picture.

My Setup is:
Samsung LN40A550
Onkyo 606
PS3
Oppo DVD
Cable Box

I have everything hooked up to the receiver via HDMI and then output to the TV HDMI 1 slot.
I also have HDMI set as "Through" in the Onkyo "Hardware Setup".

After a few hours of checking connections, switching out HDMI cables, trying different ones etc, I still couldn't get a picture. I finally figured out how to reset the PS3 Video by holding my finger on the power button for 10 seconds. This gives me the option of choosing my Resolution. If I un-select 1080P, and leave the other 3 selected(1080i, 720P, 480P) i get a picture. So my question is, does anyone know why this is all of a sudden happening? The Onkyo HDMI input should be able to "pass through" 1080P right? Has anyone else had their receiver stop allowing 1080P?

Now if I bypass the receiver and run the HDMI from the PS3 directly into the Samsung I can select 1080P output and it works fine. So I know it isn't the HDMI cable, TV, or PS3 that is the problem. It's got to be something with the Onkyo.

Another problem I'm having with the Onkyo, that seems to have started at the same time is that I can no longer view the onscreen setup menu. It worked fine up until yesterday. Now I have to do all setup on the tiny Onkyo display. I've tried resetting the receiver, but still nothing.

I don't know if the two problems are related or completely different.

For now I'll survive with the PS3 hooked directly into the TV with an Optical out to the receiver for Audio.
I just hope the Onkyo isn't busted already. I was really happy with up until now.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
post #7658 of 9471 Old 05-30-2009, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlsteele View Post

Jhawker23, just IMHO it doesn't sound like you're dealing with the Onkyo fix buzz issue. Yours really sounds like a minor grounding or even potentially interference on your sub line issue. Do you have your sub's line input running next to any power cables or other speaker wires? Have you tried unhooking your cable or satellite coaxial cables? The buzz issue caused by the resistor being too far down the food chain was a pretty loud and substantial buzz if I'm not off my rocker... surely some of these guys like crakarjax will comment on the nature of their problem to clarify.

It is directly related to low frequency from the receiver. The rears, fronts and center hums as well. It goes up greatly with dynamic EQ, goes down when turned off, but still audible. If I turn off the sub on the 606 the hum goes up substantially with the other speakers trying to handle the lows.

I have narrowed it down to only the HDMI inputs. I moved to an optical connection last night and no hum. This leads me to put some sort of hope in the resistor theory.

Wouldn't a ground issue be present with any audio source?

Hope on this comes and goes.

Here is a proposed work-around for feedback... Take HDMI from cable box to TV, optical to 606. BR hdmi to 606 as normal. I can't imagine the cable box could transmit a signal that would be better heard via HDMI. Is that a correct assumption? I tried it last night and I think it is my subconscious telling me it didn't sound as good as the HDMI connection.

I figure if I can get the buzz at least limited to BR I won't be AS crazy. This all hinges on the optical connection producing sound the same as HDMI.
post #7659 of 9471 Old 05-30-2009, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have narrowed it down to only the HDMI inputs. I moved to an optical connection last night and no hum. This leads me to put some sort of hope in the resistor theory.

In fact an optical cable should eliminate some grounding issues since it's a nonconductor. HDMI, coaxial, speaker wires, RCA plugs, any conductive interconnects can all carry grounding issues around with them. Seriously, if you haven't, try pulling your cable or satellite coaxial connection from the system and seeing if the hum still exists.

post #7660 of 9471 Old 05-31-2009, 07:56 PM

Hey guys i was trying to turn my sub off today through my onkyo menu so i could run the audyssey settings with my 2 mains. When i did after i went back to my player i got a buzzing through all of my speakers that were playing. When i turned the eq off it did not. are you not supposed to run the audyssey eq without a sub or is something wrong here? Thats the only time ive ever had a buzzing and it goes away when i turn the sub back on???
post #7661 of 9471 Old 05-31-2009, 08:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by get_zwole View Post

Hey guys i was trying to turn my sub off today through my onkyo menu so i could run the audyssey settings with my 2 mains. When i did after i went back to my player i got a buzzing through all of my speakers that were playing. When i turned the eq off it did not. are you not supposed to run the audyssey eq without a sub or is something wrong here? Thats the only time ive ever had a buzzing and it goes away when i turn the sub back on???

This was one of the other persistent issues with buzz, was Audyssey EQ with "no sub" selected. I don't recall any of these folks going with the resistor fix, and it's a separate issue from ground loop ones. I don't think anyone ever IDed a fix other than selecting from the setup menus and telling Audyssey that there *is* a sub even if there isn't.

post #7662 of 9471 Old 05-31-2009, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiSmuggs View Post

A short in the speaker wiring is the most likely cause of the shut down. I would remove the wiring for the rears and check it again. If it still does it, remove and reconnect the other speakers, carefully check wiring at both the 606 and speaker ends. All it takes it one stray strand.

Worked it out, after connecting all the speakers, I think it was due to the fact that I had to tell the Onkyo that I was bi-amping the front speakers.

All working now, thanks for the help.
post #7663 of 9471 Old 05-31-2009, 11:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

It is directly related to low frequency from the receiver. The rears, fronts and center hums as well. It goes up greatly with dynamic EQ, goes down when turned off, but still audible. If I turn off the sub on the 606 the hum goes up substantially with the other speakers trying to handle the lows.

Hope on this comes and goes.

Here is a proposed work-around for feedback... Take HDMI from cable box to TV, optical to 606. BR hdmi to 606 as normal. I can't imagine the cable box could transmit a signal that would be better heard via HDMI. Is that a correct assumption? I tried it last night and I think it is my subconscious telling me it didn't sound as good as the HDMI connection.

I figure if I can get the buzz at least limited to BR I won't be AS crazy. This all hinges on the optical connection producing sound the same as HDMI.

It really sounds like you're experiencing (what I assume to be) the hardware issue that they're supposedly aware of. My launch unit behaves pretty much exactly as you've detailed. I actually just got off the phone with Onkyo and the repair shop last week, going to have to UPS it at my own expense as the closest shop is over 2 hours away.
post #7664 of 9471 Old 06-01-2009, 08:42 AM

Quote:

This was one of the other persistent issues with buzz, was Audyssey EQ with "no sub" selected. I don't recall any of these folks going with the resistor fix, and it's a separate issue from ground loop ones. I don't think anyone ever IDed a fix other than selecting from the setup menus and telling Audyssey that there *is* a sub even if there isn't.

ok then thanks ill just unhook the sub when i want then and leave it selected as yes. Just really wanted to make sure it wasnt something wrong with my system. Appreciate the help.
post #7665 of 9471 Old 06-01-2009, 10:49 AM

I was trying to get rid of the subwoofer and use the remaining speakers (all large) only. However, whenever I set the subwoofer setting to "no" there was a loud humming comming from the main speakers when watching DVD's, regardless of wether Audyssey was selected or not.
Really annoying. The only thing which seemed to help was to switch the subwoofer setting back "yes".
I was able to reproduce this problem any time I switched the setting back.
Finally, I had to rehook the subwoofer to the unit again. Bummer...
After reading this section it seems I am not the only one.
post #7666 of 9471 Old 06-01-2009, 11:13 AM

Quote:

Now you just need to post some pics of your M30s and the Yammy center in place around the TV on your placement thread.

I will...no worries....just can't right now b/c my living room is a disaster from making it into a recording studio/jam room. Beside the TV, i have a Apple PowerMAC, Marshall half-stack, and a full 5 guitar stand.
post #7667 of 9471 Old 06-01-2009, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usual Suspect View Post

I was trying to get rid of the subwoofer and use the remaining speakers (all large) only. However, whenever I set the subwoofer setting to "no" there was a loud humming comming from the main speakers when watching DVD's, regardless of wether Audyssey was selected or not.
Really annoying. The only thing which seemed to help was to switch the subwoofer setting back "yes".
I was able to reproduce this problem any time I switched the setting back.
Finally, I had to rehook the subwoofer to the unit again. Bummer...
After reading this section it seems I am not the only one.

see mine only happens when i have the setting to audyssey as the EQ if i go manual or Off then i get no humming at all. Kinda annoying i havent tried to just unhook the sub yet thats next. I usually have it hooked up but sometimes i want the same audyssey settings with just the mains in stereo.
post #7668 of 9471 Old 06-01-2009, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhorizons View Post

I will...no worries....just can't right now b/c my living room is a disaster from making it into a recording studio/jam room. Beside the TV, i have a Apple PowerMAC, Marshall half-stack, and a full 5 guitar stand.

I'll look forward to it. Never seen a five-guitar stand. Is it like a five sided vertical stand or a gun rack? Gun rack would be cool, but I think it's probably the former.

post #7669 of 9471 Old 06-02-2009, 01:35 PM

When I tried to find the culprit for the buzz I even unhooked the center speaker which makes the buzz even more annoying, because it is not covered up by dialog. On my setup the only thing which really helped was selecting "subwoofer=yes". Not even switching audysee off had any impact. So I ended up in reconnecting the subwoofer.
I may be wrong but I had the most buzz when watching SD DVD and even Instrumental CD's (road to perdition soundtrack, for example) sounded terrible.
It was less of a problem with High def sounds, for some reason.
I then tried selecting double bass in order to have the receiver send low bass signals to the main speakers and the subwoofer and switched the subwoofer off. This way I had low frequency signals on the main speakers but no (at least no audible) buzz.
And I will still be able to use the subwoofer, if need be.
post #7670 of 9471 Old 06-02-2009, 01:43 PM

I've poured through a majority of this thread and have tried all of the suggestions to no avail. I just turned on my Wii after a couple of months of not using it only to notice that the video will drop out after a few minutes and my TV will go blank and say "No Signal". If I turn off the receiver and turn it back on the video will appear but will drop out after a few minutes.

The Wii is connected to the receiver with component cables and the receiver is connected to the TV with HDMI. Has anybody experienced anything like this and does anybody have any suggestions?
post #7671 of 9471 Old 06-02-2009, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by get_zwole View Post

see mine only happens when i have the setting to audyssey as the EQ if i go manual or Off then i get no humming at all. Kinda annoying i havent tried to just unhook the sub yet thats next. I usually have it hooked up but sometimes i want the same audyssey settings with just the mains in stereo.

You need to crank up your volume to hear the buzz with Audysee off. Chances are it's still there, you just had it too low to notice.
post #7672 of 9471 Old 06-02-2009, 08:09 PM

I bought my 606 6 months ago and it operated perfectly from day 1...until now. I went on vacation last week and unplugged my HT system. When I returned my normal listening level of -35dB is now barely a whisper. Turning the volume up to max is necessary to hear anything. I checked all the settings (i.e. Audssy, speaker levels, speaker wires, etc). I verified that music is coming from all 7.1 speakers and it's not overheating so short curcuits are unlikely. I am using a DVD player via HDMI and PC via Optical. Both behave the same. Low Volume. I also tried different material, DVD, CD etc.

NOTE: When I switch to the Tuner, all volumes are fine! Strange, no?

Anyone else experience this? Any solutions?
post #7673 of 9471 Old 06-02-2009, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orta View Post

You need to crank up your volume to hear the buzz with Audysee off. Chances are it's still there, you just had it too low to notice.

yeah that may have been it i just gave up lol i did have it pretty low though im sure thats why i didnt hear it on those settings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomicale View Post

I bought my 606 6 months ago and it operated perfectly from day 1...until now. I went on vacation last week and unplugged my HT system. When I returned my normal listening level of -35dB is now barely a whisper. Turning the volume up to max is necessary to hear anything. I checked all the settings (i.e. Audssy, speaker levels, speaker wires, etc). I verified that music is coming from all 7.1 speakers and it's not overheating so short curcuits are unlikely. I am using a DVD player via HDMI and PC via Optical. Both behave the same. Low Volume. I also tried different material, DVD, CD etc.

NOTE: When I switch to the Tuner, all volumes are fine! Strange, no?

Anyone else experience this? Any solutions?

that sucks man ive never heard of this never had it happen hear good luck with it.
post #7674 of 9471 Old 06-03-2009, 07:22 AM

So I got to about page 12 on this thread and gave up..

What have you all came to the conclusion as far as this receiver passing a picture through with a hdmi via blu ray? does the picture maintain its original quality? Or should I hook up the blu ray directly to the projector?
post #7675 of 9471 Old 06-03-2009, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by btizzle View Post

So I got to about page 12 on this thread and gave up..

What have you all came to the conclusion as far as this receiver passing a picture through with a hdmi via blu ray? does the picture maintain its original quality? Or should I hook up the blu ray directly to the projector?

If you use the pass-through mode, the HDMI video is untouched. Even with a resolution selected or "auto", I believe the HDMI video input is untouched, it is only the analog video sources (component, S-video, composite) that would be processed for obvious reasons.

However, you can always try both, and if you see better video by going direct, you may want to do just that.

I go through the receiver, because that's what I bought it for: A and V switching.

IMHO, YMMV, AFAIK, etc...

shinksma

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my captors.
post #7676 of 9471 Old 06-03-2009, 12:16 PM

I would like to purchase a set of wireless speakers to use outside on my deck. The transmitter connects via 3.5mm to RCA (red & white). I will only use these outside; not for my regular HT. My components (DTV HD DVR & PS3) are connected to my 606 via HDMI & one HDMI out to the TV. Where would I connect the transmitter? To zone 2? And would I get sound through zone 2 using HDMI? I would like to listen to music through the music channels on my DTV receiver. Is this possible? Thanks!
post #7677 of 9471 Old 06-03-2009, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainwaver View Post

I would like to purchase a set of wireless speakers to use outside on my deck. The transmitter connects via 3.5mm to RCA (red & white). I will only use these outside; not for my regular HT. My components (DTV HD DVR & PS3) are connected to my 606 via HDMI & one HDMI out to the TV. Where would I connect the transmitter? To zone 2? And would I get sound through zone 2 using HDMI? I would like to listen to music through the music channels on my DTV receiver. Is this possible? Thanks!

As is always the case, both reading the manual and searching the thread are always advisable first steps in this kind of pursuit. That said, connect them to the Zone 2 preouts that are also RCA type females plugs, and you can only play analog sources over them (that means no HDMI, no optical, no digital coaxial; unless you run double connections so that they're both connected via HDMI and an analog [RCA] connection, but I'm not 100% that you can do dual connections like that).

post #7678 of 9471 Old 06-03-2009, 12:43 PM

Searched the thread with only a handful of post about long runs of cable.

I need to run a single HDMI cable from the output of the 606 to the TV about 40'. Anyone successfully run a cable this long without problems?
post #7679 of 9471 Old 06-03-2009, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfManHalfGod View Post

Searched the thread with only a handful of post about long runs of cable.

I need to run a single HDMI cable from the output of the 606 to the TV about 40'. Anyone successfully run a cable this long without problems?

Hopefully you'll get some responses from folks who have, but if nothing else, monoprice sells some rather inexpensive amplifiers for runs that are overly long.

post #7680 of 9471 Old 06-03-2009, 12:51 PM

Quote:

As is always the case, both reading the manual and searching the thread are always advisable first steps in this kind of pursuit. That said, connect them to the Zone 2 preouts that are also RCA type females plugs, and you can only play analog sources over them (that means no HDMI, no optical, no digital coaxial; unless you run double connections so that they're both connected via HDMI and an analog [RCA] connection, but I'm not 100% that you can do dual connections like that).

I appreciate your answer but I did search the forum first. I couldn't come up with much. The thread I did find said something about using zone 2, HDMI does not downconvert to analog. So since I'm not an AV expert I was confused if I would or could even get sound through the speakers using my DTV receiver.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page