Forum Jump: 

post #7741 of 9465 Old 06-13-2009, 12:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by nlsteele View Post

Very low sound for the test frequency on the sub running Audyssey.

When your speakers are set to full-range (the LC&R) and you add a sub, if you don't run full bass and you're not using a source that has an honest to god LFE channel output (the .1 part of 5.1 and 7.1; PLII and other upmixes don't create LFE), your sub will remain in standby because there's no derived bass (the bass created below a speaker's rolloff crossover) to send to it (because the speakers are all full range).

That makes sense as I was listening to a music station on my cable box and it said 2.0 in the display. Thanks for the help, Im obviously new to this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7742 of 9465 Old 06-13-2009, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jelias1979 View Post

Thanks for the help, Im obviously new to this.

Not a problem, we're all new to it at some point. Only reason I knew it was because I've recently acquired speakers that all run full range well and I noticed the sub was off when I was listening to PLII Movie on the Xbox the other night.

post #7743 of 9465 Old 06-14-2009, 08:04 AM

Just bought this receiver and Im very satisfied so far .....with one acception....I have a Sony Mega 400 DVD changer...and I have tried too no avail to get it to work via HDMI thru the 606.........IT WILL NOT WORK no matter what HDMI input I put it in there is still no picture or sound.....all other equipment work fine!!!!

I can hook the DVD player straight to tv and works fine :-(
post #7744 of 9465 Old 06-14-2009, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by quickfire View Post

Just bought this receiver and Im very satisfied so far .....with one acception....I have a Sony Mega 400 DVD changer...and I have tried too no avail to get it to work via HDMI thru the 606.........IT WILL NOT WORK no matter what HDMI input I put it in there is still no picture or sound.....all other equipment work fine!!!!

I can hook the DVD player straight to tv and works fine :-(

Ar the other source that work HDMI sources? Or is this the only one you have?

If other HDMI sources work, I would suggest that either the Sony has lower-than-ideal HDMI signal strength, or the cable you are using is not sufficient. By going through the receiver, any deficiencies in the signal or transmission could cause issues to arise that wouldn't occur in the direct connection to the TV.

If you don't have any other sources to try, then it could just be you have the receiver set up not quite right, or the receiver itself is faulty.

Double check that you have set up the receiver to use the HDMI input that is connected, and you might want to check the HDMI settings are compatible with your TV - the BD player might be negotiating more carefully than the receiver (although I doubt that).

Try different cables - sometimes a cable (or the connector pins) just fail, and you have swap them out.

Just a few hints. More info you have would help us help you,

shinksma

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my captors.
post #7745 of 9465 Old 06-14-2009, 06:36 PM

All of the HDMI connections are working .........I can hook PS3,Xbox360,DirecTv HDDVR receiver to any of them and they work perfect....tried switchiung cables with Sony DVD player and still no luck.....

Like I said if I connect it to tv then it recognizes HDMI cable connection and gives picture....go figure...
post #7746 of 9465 Old 06-16-2009, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minerat View Post

Is anyone else having issue with optical inputs and hiccups/breaks in the output? This is happening with my 360 and correlates with heat (or at least turning a big fan on and blowing air over the unit alleviates the symptoms). I can switch to my HDMI inputs and have no hiccups whatsoever. The unit has enough room to breathe - 4 inches or so on each side and it doesn't happen with other inputs. I'm curious whether anyone else has noticed optical being particularly sensitive to temperature.

I'm having the EXACT same problem -- Did you ever figure out what the cause was? ? It's been driving me nuts! I'm using a regular Xbox rather than 360 but it's hooked up via optical and I get the same exact thing! hiccups in the audio is the best way to describe it. . .

Help!
post #7747 of 9465 Old 06-16-2009, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoskam View Post

I'm having the EXACT same problem -- Did you ever figure out what the cause was? ? It's been driving me nuts! I'm using a regular Xbox rather than 360 but it's hooked up via optical and I get the same exact thing! hiccups in the audio is the best way to describe it. . .

Help!

Not to belabor you guys finding a solution, but I'm using a 360 with optical out for sound and no hiccups. Did either of you touch the end of the optical cable when installing it?

post #7748 of 9465 Old 06-16-2009, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
my problem started on Sunday when I bought a brand new 55 inch Toshiba Regza LCD. I went cablebox HDMI to my Onkyo 606 and then to HDMI input 1 on my tv.

Everytime I turn off all items and turn them back on the next time, my TV says "no signal" and then tries to go into initial setup. I have to cancel the setup then reset the TV again to HDMI 1. Then after couple of seconds it starts getting the picture.

I can only speculate that what is happening is Onkyo 606 takes its sweet time to turn on and to engage hdmi switching, while Toshiba Regza tv turns on immediately and sees that there is no signal and starts through the setup. What is my solution, short of keeping Onkyo 606 on at all times and not to turn it off at all?

Never Say Never
post #7749 of 9465 Old 06-16-2009, 12:21 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Has anyone been able to try my previously posted steps to reproduce buzz with an Xbox 360 (with HDMI)? I don't want to spend as much as I paid for this receiver in shipping trying to get it fixed...

EDIT: preciously???? lol
post #7750 of 9465 Old 06-16-2009, 12:28 PM
Advanced Member

I have much the same problem. I am running everything via HDMI into the 606 and a single HDMI OUT to the HDTV.

At first the 606 would take just a few seconds to establish the signal, then a minute, now after 8 months the 606 takes several minutes to "warm up" before it will start to send a signal to the TV. This is on ALL HDMI connections. Its gotten so bad I am at the point of wanting to just leave it on 24/7.

I have on occasion left the 606 on overnight and turned the TV on in the morning and viola instant picture.

I suspect something is dyeing inside but I know they will want me to send it in for repair and I don't feel like being with out my surround sound for weeks/months until it is returned back to me....

This is my first Onkyo and perhaps my last.......
Quote:
Originally Posted by absolutic View Post

Everytime I turn off all items and turn them back on the next time, my TV says "no signal" and then tries to go into initial setup. I have to cancel the setup then reset the TV again to HDMI 1. Then after couple of seconds it starts getting the picture.

I can only speculate that what is happening is Onkyo 606 takes its sweet time to turn on and to engage hdmi switching, while Toshiba Regza tv turns on immediately and sees that there is no signal and starts through the setup. What is my solution, short of keeping Onkyo 606 on at all times and not to turn it off at all?

post #7751 of 9465 Old 06-16-2009, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibglowin View Post

I have much the same problem. I am running everything via HDMI into the 606 and a single HDMI OUT to the HDTV.

At first the 606 would take just a few seconds to establish the signal, then a minute, now after 8 months the 606 takes several minutes to "warm up" before it will start to send a signal to the TV. This is on ALL HDMI connections. Its gotten so bad I am at the point of wanting to just leave it on 24/7.

I have on occasion left the 606 on overnight and turned the TV on in the morning and viola instant picture.

I suspect something is dyeing inside but I know they will want me to send it in for repair and I don't feel like being with out my surround sound for weeks/months until it is returned back to me....

This is my first Onkyo and perhaps my last.......

oh ok, it is also my first Onkyo, before it I had Denon and Yamaha only. However this was the best bang for the buck at the time with 4 1.3a HDMIs. I guess I will just do the same thing you do, I will program my Harmony remote to leave Onkyo on at all times. Hopefully, it does not eat much energy. I wonder if my Harmony remote can be programmed to dial down the volume instead of turning it off each time.

Never Say Never
post #7752 of 9465 Old 06-16-2009, 12:44 PM
Advanced Member

Exact reason I bought mine......

When its working its great. When you have company over and your trying to fire things up and get a movie going its pretty frustrating. At least now I have mine pinned down so I understand what need to be done to get it going....

Quote:

oh ok, it is also my first Onkyo, before it I had Denon and Yamaha only. However this was the best bang for the buck at the time with 4 1.3a HDMIs. I guess I will just do the same thing you do, I will program my Harmony remote to leave Onkyo on at all times. Hopefully, it does not eat much energy. I wonder if my Harmony remote can be programmed to dial down the volume instead of turning it off each time.

post #7753 of 9465 Old 06-16-2009, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Why not program the Harmony to turn the 606 on first?
post #7754 of 9465 Old 06-16-2009, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiSmuggs View Post

Why not program the Harmony to turn the 606 on first?

I don't recall if Harmony has a setting to create a 10 second delay between turning on components. I will check it out

Never Say Never
post #7755 of 9465 Old 06-16-2009, 05:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I don't recall if Harmony has a setting to create a 10 second delay between turning on components. I will check it out

You can set any delay you want to within certain limitations (but I'm pretty sure 10 seconds isn't out of range). The thing you need to be careful of is keeping the remote pointed where it needs to be the whole time (or teaching your better half to do so).

post #7756 of 9465 Old 06-17-2009, 06:11 AM

I will be Moving back to the U.K. at the end of the month and I want to take my Onkyo 606 with me to use over there. I will be taking a transformer with me for the voltage change. My question is will it be compatable with the televisions and blue ray players they have over there? I would also like to take my polk speaker system as well. If anyone can help me I would greatly appreciate it )
post #7757 of 9465 Old 06-18-2009, 06:02 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I made an interesting discovery last night concerning the hum I was hearing through my headphones, and just the hum in general from my 606. I couldn't figure out why I would hear the hum so bad with my headphones, and not at all with my speakers. So I went to the PS3 XMB, which is silent, and turned the volume all the way up. Sure enough I could hear the hum. But with my speakers even at loud volumes I can't hear the hum. When I run Audyssey, it sets my speaker levels close to the -7db level.

So I was going through the OSD to see if there was a way to maybe lessen the hum when using headphones, kind of like turning off DynamicEQ did. I started playing with the headphone db level, and noticed something I thought was strange. Turning the db level up or down didn't seem to impact the volume I was hearing in my headphones at all. I keep the volume at 25 when using headphones, and it didn't matter if it was 12db or -12db, volume 25 was at the same level. What the db level did seem to impact was the hum volume. The higher the db, the louder the hum. So when I turned it all the way down to -12db, I couldn't hear the hum unless I turned it up pretty loud.

That makes me wonder if the people who can hear the hum worse than the others have the db level in speaker setup turned higher. As I said, Audyssey sets mine pretty low, with the center at -7, and surrounds around -12. And with DynamicEQ turned off I have to turn it up ridiculously loud to hear the hum. It would be nice if there was no hum at all, but maybe those who are suffering from the hum can of course turn off DynamicEQ, and try turning the db levels of their speakers down.

post #7758 of 9465 Old 06-18-2009, 11:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smeg36 View Post

I made an interesting discovery last night concerning the hum I was hearing through my headphones, and just the hum in general from my 606. I couldn't figure out why I would hear the hum so bad with my headphones, and not at all with my speakers. So I went to the PS3 XMB, which is silent, and turned the volume all the way up. Sure enough I could hear the hum. But with my speakers even at loud volumes I can't hear the hum. When I run Audyssey, it sets my speaker levels close to the -7db level.

So I was going through the OSD to see if there was a way to maybe lessen the hum when using headphones, kind of like turning off DynamicEQ did. I started playing with the headphone db level, and noticed something I thought was strange. Turning the db level up or down didn't seem to impact the volume I was hearing in my headphones at all. I keep the volume at 25 when using headphones, and it didn't matter if it was 12db or -12db, volume 25 was at the same level. What the db level did seem to impact was the hum volume. The higher the db, the louder the hum. So when I turned it all the way down to -12db, I couldn't hear the hum unless I turned it up pretty loud.

That makes me wonder if the people who can hear the hum worse than the others have the db level in speaker setup turned higher. As I said, Audyssey sets mine pretty low, with the center at -7, and surrounds around -12. And with DynamicEQ turned off I have to turn it up ridiculously loud to hear the hum. It would be nice if there was no hum at all, but maybe those who are suffering from the hum can of course turn off DynamicEQ, and try turning the db levels of their speakers down.

What does that Db level control? Some sort of volume booster?
post #7759 of 9465 Old 06-18-2009, 05:35 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 18
The speaker db level should control the signal level sent to each speaker. I thought the headphone db level would do the same thing, but the volume seemed the same at +12 as it did at -12. The only thing that seemed different was the hum level.

post #7760 of 9465 Old 06-18-2009, 07:59 PM

Anyone have any luck with the HDMI extenders from Monoprice? I've got a 35 foot run that is giving me sparkles. Anyone got an extender to work with the 606?
post #7761 of 9465 Old 06-19-2009, 08:57 AM

Hi guys,

Just got my 606 today and am curious is there is a way to hook up my computers sound to play through it? This is my soundcard

http://www.soundblaster.com/products...ct=15854&nav=1

Sorry if it is in this thread somewhere as I'm skimmed over it and my search skills suck cause that didn't help either. :-)

Thanks in advance.

JasonG
post #7762 of 9465 Old 06-19-2009, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by crakarjax View Post

Has anyone been able to try my previously posted steps to reproduce buzz with an Xbox 360 (with HDMI)? I don't want to spend as much as I paid for this receiver in shipping trying to get it fixed...

EDIT: preciously???? lol

They'll give your closest repair center, so if you don't have one locally, it should still be less than $20 (UPS, insurance included). The repair shop pays the return shipping and bills Onkyo, it's in their contract. Whether the "fix" they've got in their database works, I can't say yet.
post #7763 of 9465 Old 06-19-2009, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonGinWV View Post

Hi guys,

Just got my 606 today and am curious is there is a way to hook up my computers sound to play through it? This is my soundcard

Sorry if it is in this thread somewhere as I'm skimmed over it and my search skills suck cause that didn't help either. :-)

Thanks in advance.

JasonG

The X-Fi has a 3.5 mm digital audio output. You need a 75ohm cable with a 3.5mm connector on one end and an RCA connector on the other end. You plug th 3.5mm end into the X-Fi digital audio jack, and the RCA end into the coax audio input on your receiver. Then you need to set the X-Fi options on your PC for digital audio out.

Creative makes the cable you need, but you can probably get one cheaper from Monoprice.
post #7764 of 9465 Old 06-19-2009, 12:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonGinWV View Post

Hi guys,

Thanks in advance.

JasonG

If you are looking for 7.1 or PCM output, your best bet is a graphics card that does HDMI out. ATI's 4xxx series works pretty great and can be had for around $50 for their cheaper 7.1 models.
post #7765 of 9465 Old 06-19-2009, 04:49 PM

Thanks to you both for the quick replies. I'm only gonna be running a 5.1 set-up due to space so I think the 3.5 to rca will suffice. I will keep in mind the ATI as my video card is going on almost 4 years old so that when I upgrade I can go that route.

Again, thanks.

JasonG
post #7766 of 9465 Old 06-21-2009, 12:24 PM

Just thought I'd give you all an update. Finally heard back from ABL Electronics in Mich. (repair center), kept telling me that they couldn't reproduce the problem, couldn't get it to do what I said it was doing. I kept telling them to keep looking, they finally called me back and told me they checked every solder connection in the receiver and what do ya know, it have multiple bad solder connections. I don't know yet if this will fix the problems I had, but it's definately a start. If I get it back, and it still hums, I'll either sell it awfully cheap with no guarantees, or i'll move it to the living room and hope the woman doesn't notice.

Either way, I've recently purchased an Emotiva XPA-5, and am waiting to purchase the UMC-1, so I'm switching to seperates.

Those of you having problems with your receiver, keep pressuring the repair center and onkyo till you get what it right.
post #7767 of 9465 Old 06-21-2009, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiceguyEdy View Post

Just thought I'd give you all an update. Finally heard back from ABL Electronics in Mich. (repair center), kept telling me that they couldn't reproduce the problem, couldn't get it to do what I said it was doing. I kept telling them to keep looking, they finally called me back and told me they checked every solder connection in the receiver and what do ya know, it have multiple bad solder connections. I don't know yet if this will fix the problems I had, but it's definately a start. If I get it back, and it still hums, I'll either sell it awfully cheap with no guarantees, or i'll move it to the living room and hope the woman doesn't notice.

Either way, I've recently purchased an Emotiva XPA-5, and am waiting to purchase the UMC-1, so I'm switching to seperates.

Those of you having problems with your receiver, keep pressuring the repair center and onkyo till you get what it right.

I'm looking forward to getting an XPA5 down the road. Nice work, and good tips, NiceguyEdy.

post #7768 of 9465 Old 06-22-2009, 11:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiceguyEdy View Post

Good call. In my experience though, most repair shops will pretend to find a problem that they then "fix" if they can't reproduce the issue. Then when you get it back, you are no better off.

Keep us posted on whether those solder connections were the culprit.
post #7769 of 9465 Old 06-25-2009, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crakarjax View Post

Good call. In my experience though, most repair shops will pretend to find a problem that they then "fix" if they can't reproduce the issue. Then when you get it back, you are no better off.

Keep us posted on whether those solder connections were the culprit.

You're probably right, i'm just trying to think positive. It's been close to six weeks since I sent it to them for the second time. It's just wrong how long it takes. It'll be here tomorrow, and I'll let you all know what I find.
post #7770 of 9465 Old 06-26-2009, 09:57 AM

Alright, so I promised you an update and so here I am. I have good news, and I have bad news. I'll start with the good news. The hum, with audyssey, is almost completely gone. I'd go as far as saying it's fixed of the hum. I'm not kidding, i tried hard to repeat the same hum i had before, nothin. Don't quite know what to think about that, except that it proves that it WAS in the receiver. Now for the bad news, which is actually making me laugh.

I get it home, plug it in, notice the hum is gone, turn it up, and now from volume 0-25 there is an audible "pop" everytime the volume increases, and here's the kicker, it's worse when audyssey is turned on! Also, I wanted to mute it to see if i could try to differentiate between the sound in my room, and seeing if there was a hum, and i hit mute, and there's a loud pop again. So now everytime I hit mute, it pops, louder than when it was just changing volume. Oh no, that's not all folks, there's more bad news. I went in and looked at the settings, ABL Electronics had all the speakers turned to -12db, which in my setup they were all around 0. So i set it back the way i had it, put em back to 0 and -2 for the surrounds, and then go change the intellivolume back to 8. As soon as i exited the setup menu, two LOUD pops (loud enough that it made me jump) and then the receiver shut off and only had a blinking red light on the front. It did turn back on, but it's still doing the pops as before.

I don't know what I'm going to do, I'm sick and tired of fighting with the repair place and with Onkyo. I can't even sell this to get what I have in it! Those of you that need to send yours in, avoid ABL Electronics, and ship to that place in Colorado instead. Maybe you'll have better luck than me. The UMC can't some soon enough!
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page