post #811 of 9465 Old 06-10-2008, 04:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB View Post

I used Audessey to set up and it set my fronts to full range, my rears to 100 Mhz, and the sub to 100Mhz. I have no center. What seems off is that when playing stereo CDs I get a lot of the front channel music played through the surrounds. I thought for music the rears were just supposed to produce hall ambiance and not too much of the actual instrument sound. Am I missing a setting somewhere?

Jack

What listening mode are you using? Try PLII music.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 9465 Old 06-10-2008, 04:41 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kplex View Post

When you use the Direct mode, your crossovers are ignored. Try playing a CD or DD 2.0 broadcast in Direct Mode. You won't get anything out of your subwoofer.

Haha. I never noticed that since I don't play CD's using the receiver. Now that I've tested it I'll experiment a bit with the different modes. What do you use? For DVDs the Direct sounds awesome. I prefer the least amount of processing.
post #813 of 9465 Old 06-10-2008, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumeck View Post

Haha. I never noticed that since I don't play CD's using the receiver. Now that I've tested it I'll experiment a bit with the different modes. What do you use? For DVDs the Direct sounds awesome. I prefer the least amount of processing.

I use the native listening mode for the signal type if it's multichannel - DD for DD, DTS for DTS, multichannel for multichannel. I use PLII movie for DD2.0 programs and either PLII music, Direct or All Ch Stereo for music depending on what I'm doing.
post #814 of 9465 Old 06-10-2008, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gteague View Post

i'm using 5 hdmi cables from that category i bought from monoprice to put my system together. i was lucky to be able to use 1.5' cables from my components to the receiver and a couple of 3' ones from an hdmi switch and the receiver to the tv, keeping the wiring neater than its ever been. and i was even able to color code everything with blue from my blu-ray player, yellow for tivo, and orange for oppo. and red for the inputs to the tv. i can't recommend monoprice highly enough.

here's some line items from my monoprice cable order just so you can compare and ensure you're in the right place. they do have a bunch of cables:

3944 HDMI 1.3a Cable 28AWG - 1.5ft w/Ferrite Cores (Gold Plated Connectors) - BLUE
3947 HDMI 1.3a Cable 28AWG - 1.5ft w/Ferrite Cores (Gold Plated Connectors) - YELLOW
3946 HDMI 1.3a Cable 28AWG - 1.5ft w/Ferrite Cores (Gold Plated Connectors) - ORANGE
4021 HDMI 1.3a Cable 28AWG - 3ft w/Ferrite Cores (Gold Plated Connectors) - RED

FYI: I've been swamped lately and haven't had a chance to try to resolve the occasional green flashes when playing back DVD content over HDMI. I called Monoprice and spoke with their tech support. They said that the symptom I'm describing wouldn't necessarily be caused by a non-1.3a-compliant HDMI cable but that it is likely being caused by one of my non-1.3a-compliant cables simply being bad. They suggested that I swap around my HDMI cables (I'm using two HDMI inputs and one HDMI output) to find the culprit. The cables are so inexpensive from Monoprice that I'll probably still order their 1.3a-compliant cables when I order the replacement for the bad cable once I find it.
post #815 of 9465 Old 06-10-2008, 06:03 PM

My friend has this receiver as I do. Today he had a power spike or something and now the 606 comes up with E2prom Error. Any ideas?

EDIT --- It appears he unplugged it for 5 minutes and when plugging back in the E2Prom error is gone. Crossing fingers

My experience with Mackcam Warranties. Projector sent with HDMI issue, returned with Lens damage. Still no ETA. 6 Months waiting to date. Sporadic response from CS. Stated it was sent to Epson, but was sent to another repair shop.
post #816 of 9465 Old 06-10-2008, 11:31 PM

I got some questions concerning my setup:
I have the KEF KHT 3005 which doesn't have a volume knob on the subwoofer, the automatic speaker calibration set my sub to -13 db, is this a problem?
Second question : my hd set top box is connected via hdmi to the receiver.
On the display it shows pcm multichannel 5.0 hdmi, although I only get sound through the front channels? Also, I cannot select the other dsp's. When selecting direct input (or something) on the receiver I can eventually select the other dsp's but pcm is constantly flickering on the display (annoying). Is this normal?

thanks
post #817 of 9465 Old 06-11-2008, 12:28 AM

Quote:

I use the native listening mode for the signal type if it's multichannel - DD for DD, DTS for DTS, multichannel for multichannel. I use PLII movie for DD2.0 programs and either PLII music, Direct or All Ch Stereo for music depending on what I'm doing.

Thanks for the info.

After going through some testing, though not close to finishing yet, the Direct seems to produce the purest of sounds compared to the other settings. At least that goes for DVDs.

Update:
Analog/PCM = Last Valid
Dolby Digital = Direct
DTS = Direct
D.F. 2 ch. = Last Valid
D.F. Mono = Last Valid
Multi PCM = Direct
192k/176.4k = Last Valid
Dolby TruHD = Direct
DTS-HD Master Audio = Direct
DSD = Direct

With the Direct settings above the sub works (mainly because they're multichannel). On DD 2.0 programming I'm not sure if I want the sound coming from the center or the left/right speakers. I want the subs to work, however, regardless of the setting. I know for CDs I want the left/right speakers + subs so maybe Stereo would do.

Since I like the least amount of processing, and Direct seems to do just that, is this the correct configuration for my listening preference, kplex? Or am I getting mixed up?
post #818 of 9465 Old 06-11-2008, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
I've searched and have not found a definitive answer to this question.

When bitstreaming True HD or DTS Master audio, can the 606 expand a 5.1 signal to 7.1?

I found that this was possible when the high def codec is decoded in the player and fed to the 606 as LCPM.
post #819 of 9465 Old 06-11-2008, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

with LPF of LFE set to 100hz

I was not sure about that setting myself until I was going through the Audyssey thread and found this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetsmart88 View Post

Set the LFE to 120 hz because the LFE channel has material up to 120 hz. Otherwise, you will lose the 80 to 120 hz material.

-Greg
post #820 of 9465 Old 06-11-2008, 02:16 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhazard View Post

Just increase the Bass setting on the receiver to +4 or +6 after audyssey runs. Plenty of rich bass to go around.

Increasing that setting increases the amplitude not the richness. The latter easier to observe doing an A-B test with a different receiver. Well just as an update I did end up returning the 606. I still feel the features the 606 has is great. The sound as many of you have pointed out is more subjective.
post #821 of 9465 Old 06-11-2008, 05:15 PM

Sometimes, especially for late night, or SD TV I just want to hear the TV's native speakers only. I read here that one way of doing this is to connect component + audio cables from the Cable box to the TV in addition to connecting the Cable box to Receiver (via HDMI) and receiver to TV/speakers (via HDMI).
Is there an easier way to do this without having to connect component + audio to TV?

In other words, is there a function on the 606 where I can shut off the 5.1 speakers and have the audio only come from the TV's speakers?

Thank you!!
post #822 of 9465 Old 06-11-2008, 05:31 PM

Rumeck, I've seen you posting over in the Samsung A650 owners thread,What are your thoughts about the 606 paired with your 650? I'm going with the 52A650 and was almost positive of pairing it with the 606. Also have a PS3, dish network VIP 622 HD DVR, and Samsung 1080P8 unconverter DVD player. Also for you other owners as well are you guys happy with the 606? Pros and cons? If anyone has a similar set up how happy are you with the 606? Any input would be greatly appeciated.
post #823 of 9465 Old 06-11-2008, 06:52 PM

Please forgive the total noob question but I have already received my 606 and a set of Polk RM6750s but I'm waiting on some additional supplies to arrive from monoprice (mounts, wire, plugs, etc) before I get busy installing the speakers. However, while inspecting the speakers I noticed the sub has both a left and right input but the 606 has only a single sub output?

Again, I'm sure this has been answered but the only thing I could find was an archived post and I'm not sure the information is still valid and search results outside of avsforum seem to provide conflicting answers.

Thanks,
-Mark
post #824 of 9465 Old 06-11-2008, 07:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfaine View Post

Please forgive the total noob question but I have already received my 606 and a set of Polk RM6750s but I'm waiting on some additional supplies to arrive from monoprice (mounts, wire, plugs, etc) before I get busy installing the speakers. However, while inspecting the speakers I noticed the sub has both a left and right input but the 606 has only a single sub output?

Again, I'm sure this has been answered but the only thing I could find was an archived post and I'm not sure the information is still valid and search results outside of avsforum seem to provide conflicting answers.

Thanks,
-Mark

Check your sub's documentation. With most subs, the manual recommends using a single cable to one side or the other. Some recommend using a y connector to connect to both the left and right inputs.
post #825 of 9465 Old 06-11-2008, 07:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for the info.

After going through some testing, though not close to finishing yet, the Direct seems to produce the purest of sounds compared to the other settings. At least that goes for DVDs.

Update:
Analog/PCM = Last Valid
Dolby Digital = Direct
DTS = Direct
D.F. 2 ch. = Last Valid
D.F. Mono = Last Valid
Multi PCM = Direct
192k/176.4k = Last Valid
Dolby TruHD = Direct
DTS-HD Master Audio = Direct
DSD = Direct

With the Direct settings above the sub works (mainly because they're multichannel). On DD 2.0 programming I'm not sure if I want the sound coming from the center or the left/right speakers. I want the subs to work, however, regardless of the setting. I know for CDs I want the left/right speakers + subs so maybe Stereo would do.

Since I like the least amount of processing, and Direct seems to do just that, is this the correct configuration for my listening preference, kplex? Or am I getting mixed up?

You should use what sounds best to you. My tastes keep changing. I try to keep an open mind .
post #826 of 9465 Old 06-11-2008, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotallad View Post

Sometimes, especially for late night, or SD TV I just want to hear the TV's native speakers only. I read here that one way of doing this is to connect component + audio cables from the Cable box to the TV in addition to connecting the Cable box to Receiver (via HDMI) and receiver to TV/speakers (via HDMI).
Is there an easier way to do this without having to connect component + audio to TV?

In other words, is there a function on the 606 where I can shut off the 5.1 speakers and have the audio only come from the TV's speakers?

Thank you!!

I haven't played with it but I prefer the TV speakers when I'm watching SD TV content so I connected my cable box straight to the TV. Simple and efficient.
post #827 of 9465 Old 06-11-2008, 07:51 PM

Quote:

You should use what sounds best to you. My tastes keep changing. I try to keep an open mind .

True. Though, I'm still learning the ins-n-outs of the 606 so information from others help a great deal. I know the sound I want but it's just a matter of finding which setting is best for what I want to achieve. Until you mentioned about Direct excluding the Subs on CD/DD 2.0 content I didn't know my subs weren't functional. It would be nice to have a calibration thread for the 606.

Just wondering...When people speak of setting speakers to Small or Large are they referring to Full Band for the latter or something else?
post #828 of 9465 Old 06-11-2008, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyMart18 View Post

Rumeck, I've seen you posting over in the Samsung A650 owners thread,What are your thoughts about the 606 paired with your 650? I'm going with the 52A650 and was almost positive of pairing it with the 606. Also have a PS3, dish network VIP 622 HD DVR, and Samsung 1080P8 unconverter DVD player. Also for you other owners as well are you guys happy with the 606? Pros and cons? If anyone has a similar set up how happy are you with the 606? Any input would be greatly appeciated.

I didn't know which model of Onkyo I was going with but I knew I wanted that brand over all others. When I heard about the 606 having 4 HDMI inputs I was interested. No THX certification but that didn't matter. Onkyo produces honest sound, if that makes any sense. When I listen to anything audio I picture myself being in that recording room or environment. I didn't get that from other receivers but I did with Onkyo.

I'm new to Onkyo so I'm familiarizing myself with the settings. I only wish that I could calibrate my settings in real-time. Every time I go into the User Menu the DVD is non-functional so all of my inputs are really educated guesses. There's a lot of trial and error going on.

Unless you were already planning to hook your components using anything other than HDMI, let me suggest to use only HDMI whenever possible. It really makes a difference. There are people who say that their Onkyos run very hot but I haven't experienced that so far. Not much of a review but I hope some of the info helped.
post #829 of 9465 Old 06-12-2008, 03:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyMart18 View Post

I have the 40a650 with the Onkyo 606 and have no problems at all. No handshake issues at all for me.

My experience with Mackcam Warranties. Projector sent with HDMI issue, returned with Lens damage. Still no ETA. 6 Months waiting to date. Sporadic response from CS. Stated it was sent to Epson, but was sent to another repair shop.
post #830 of 9465 Old 06-12-2008, 04:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

True. Though, I'm still learning the ins-n-outs of the 606 so information from others help a great deal. I know the sound I want but it's just a matter of finding which setting is best for what I want to achieve. Until you mentioned about Direct excluding the Subs on CD/DD 2.0 content I didn't know my subs weren't functional. It would be nice to have a calibration thread for the 606.

Just wondering...When people speak of setting speakers to Small or Large are they referring to Full Band for the latter or something else?

On receivers that don't allow you to set the channel crossover values, you just get a choice of large or small. Large is the same as Full Band on an Onkyo. Small is usually the same as 80Hz crossovers all around.
post #831 of 9465 Old 06-12-2008, 05:30 AM

Ah, thanks. That's what I had reasoned but I wasn't sure. I know I don't want full band. My speakers are good enough to hit lows very efficiently though I think the frequency range will be either 100hz - 120hz for the fronts and center. Ah, never know...Maybe I'll go lower. I'll play around a bit later today.
post #832 of 9465 Old 06-12-2008, 08:29 AM

Minor Issue:

I have my DVD player connected to the Onkyo via HDMI and the Onkyo is connected to the TV via HDMI. The TV always recognizes the HDMI signal of receiver to TV. Sometimes the HDMI signal is not recognized between the DVD player and Onkyo. Most of the time I'm able to fix it by turning the DVD player off then back on again. Is there a way to always have the HDMI signal of the DVD player and receiver recognized?

*I've changed the HDMI inputs from 1 to 2 but it didn't resolve the issue.
post #833 of 9465 Old 06-12-2008, 08:45 AM

Quote:

Minor Issue:

I have my DVD player connected to the Onkyo via HDMI and the Onkyo is connected to the TV via HDMI. The TV always recognizes the HDMI signal of receiver to TV. Sometimes the HDMI signal is not recognized between the DVD player and Onkyo. Most of the time I'm able to fix it by turning the DVD player off then back on again. Is there a way to always have the HDMI signal of the DVD player and receiver recognized?

*I've changed the HDMI inputs from 1 to 2 but it didn't resolve the issue.

Do a test for me: does the video from the dvd suddenly appear if you wait about 5 minutes? Is the screen blue or simply blank (black)?

I'm having a similar problem with an HR21 Dtv receiver.
post #834 of 9465 Old 06-12-2008, 10:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 17
When running Audyssey, does it still use the same gosh awfull noise that my 805 uses? The only time I can run audyssey in a quiet invironment is at night when everyone else has gone to bed. My 805 is in the basement, so that was bad enough. The 606 would be in the living room with the bedrooms upstairs. Just would like to know ahead of time if I am going to knock everyone out of bed when I run audyssey.

Thanks much,

Steve
post #835 of 9465 Old 06-12-2008, 02:44 PM

Quote:

I haven't played with it but I prefer the TV speakers when I'm watching SD TV content so I connected my cable box straight to the TV. Simple and efficient.

So you have one HDMI cable from cable box to receiver and also component cable + optical cable from cable box to TV, correct?
post #836 of 9465 Old 06-12-2008, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderduck View Post

When running Audyssey, does it still use the same gosh awfull noise that my 805 uses? The only time I can run audyssey in a quiet invironment is at night when everyone else has gone to bed. My 805 is in the basement, so that was bad enough. The 606 would be in the living room with the bedrooms upstairs. Just would like to know ahead of time if I am going to knock everyone out of bed when I run audyssey.

Thanks much,

Steve

Yes, same chirp as your 805.
post #837 of 9465 Old 06-12-2008, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotallad View Post

So you have one HDMI cable from cable box to receiver and also component cable + optical cable from cable box to TV, correct?

Actually, I'm only using the RF Cable that connects to the cable box to TV since it's only SD digital (not HD). Yeah, I know. When I get the HD DVR (should be soon) I'll hook that up HDMI straight to the TV (no connection for Cable to Onkyo). That way I'll always get sound coming from the TV without the hassle.

My configuration is as of now:

Cable Box --> RF Cable --> Samsung 650

Sony DVD Player -->HDMI 1000 (#1) --> Onkyo 606 --> HDMI 1000 (#2) --> Samsung 650

*I have other components to hook up, which will all be HDMI connected to the receiver later.
post #838 of 9465 Old 06-12-2008, 05:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyzziks View Post

Yes, same chirp as your 805.

You call it a "chirp". Am I thinking of a different receiver? I thought I remembered it sounding more like static and very loud. Is it more of a burst type signal?

I guess I am just going to have to rerun my speaker setup and jog my memory. Damn I hate getting old! But then again, I am able to get my "toys".

I have just about made up my mind to pull the trigger on this receiver. No reason why I shouldn't. I think my 805 is great!

Thanks much for the response.

Best Regards,

Steve
post #839 of 9465 Old 06-12-2008, 06:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderduck View Post

You call it a "chirp". Am I thinking of a different receiver? I thought I remembered it sounding more like static and very loud. Is it more of a burst type signal?

Yes, it's several quick chirps, which are not usually too loud, unless you have a lot of background noise (which you should not have, for Audyssey to get good measurements). You may be thinking of the builtin test tones, which are band-limited pink noise at 75 dB, rather loud and static-like.
post #840 of 9465 Old 06-12-2008, 06:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyzziks View Post

Yes, it's several quick chirps, which are not usually too loud, unless you have a lot of background noise (which you should not have, for Audyssey to get good measurements). You may be thinking of the builtin test tones, which are band-limited pink noise at 75 dB, rather loud and static-like.

That is what I was thinking of, the test tones. When I was using the SPL meter to finalize my speaker settings.

Thank you for the memory jog.

Regards,

Steve
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page