Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 9463 Old 05-08-2008, 12:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMAR10 View Post

I just spoke to a CSR and this is a misprint and he told me they will not honor this coupon price. Whenever you try to apply this coupon it says "There are no items in your cart that qualify for the terms of the coupon entered. No discount was applied. You can review the terms of the coupon by clicking "view terms" below, or remove the coupon by clicking "remove coupon" below." I pointed out to him that this was false advertising and that they should honor the coupon. He said "management" has decided it will not be honored and they are working to fix the misprint. Looks like I will not be buying it from CC.

They've been attaching 10% off coupons since it was on pre-order. I never got one to work. Sometimes I'm surprised CC is still in business.

360 & PSN Gamertag - R1NLP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 9463 Old 05-08-2008, 12:51 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1NLP View Post

They've been attaching 10% off coupons since it was on pre-order. I never got one to work. Sometimes I'm surprised CC is still in business.

/co-sign

I used to work at Best Buy, and our numbers sh1t on CC's numbers every week I worked there. I really, REALLY don't know how CC is still in business.
post #63 of 9463 Old 05-08-2008, 01:01 PM

Doesn't really matter to me anymore because I just ordered it from J&R for $449 shipped! Now if I could just get my X-MTM Encore Towers and X-CS Encore Center from AV123 then I will be in business! I am getting anxious!
post #64 of 9463 Old 05-08-2008, 03:03 PM

ABT put the receiver in my hands today... a bit lighter then the 605 .. the remote is a bit nicer.... the heat is nowhere near the old levels.. but i haven't driven it hard yet.

One strange issue: I have my tv displaying the volume level via HDMI interlink, and its about 7 points higher then what the front receiver panel shows.

The TivoHD i have connected to it takes a LONG while to sync via HDMI.
post #65 of 9463 Old 05-08-2008, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demarchi View Post

I've just returned my 605 due to a bad hum noise caused by multiple HDMI connections.
It was very annoying at high volume (above 65) and quite noticeable on quieter movie scenes.
I was using 1 HDMI input from a blu ray player, another HDMI input from a multi-region upscalling DVD player and a HDMI output to a 46" full HD LCD screen.
The hum noise was gone when the same equipment was connected using alternative connection methods.
This HDMI hum noise was well identified on owners threads of the 605 and 705 Onkyos and I was wondering if the issue was resolved with the new 606.

Good news! I hit pause on a dvd and cranked the volume all the way up. No hum whatsoever.

post #66 of 9463 Old 05-08-2008, 03:21 PM

Just put my order in at J&R. This is going to be my first receiver since my 10 year old Yamaha, so quite a lot of new features to look forward to.
post #67 of 9463 Old 05-08-2008, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ercdvs View Post

The TivoHD i have connected to it takes a LONG while to sync via HDMI.

Ack, what is a "long" while? 5 seconds or more?
post #68 of 9463 Old 05-08-2008, 03:54 PM

the 605 was on the OUTSIDE 7 sec ... this is 14+ ... I'll next time.

It MIGHT be related to audio, as I don't have all the modes set up yet. And it was coming out of the setup menu.. so.. i need to test more.
post #69 of 9463 Old 05-08-2008, 06:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Just F.Y.I., this is what I discovered when trying to use this coupon.

I just spoke to a CSR and this is a misprint and he told me they will not honor this coupon price. Whenever you try to apply this coupon it says "There are no items in your cart that qualify for the terms of the coupon entered. No discount was applied. You can review the terms of the coupon by clicking "view terms" below, or remove the coupon by clicking "remove coupon" below." I pointed out to him that this was false advertising and that they should honor the coupon. He said "management" has decided it will not be honored and they are working to fix the misprint. Looks like I will not be buying it from CC.

Hmmm your right i just tried it. Thats not right. If i decide i want it i will talk to my local store manager and make them take 10% off.
post #70 of 9463 Old 05-08-2008, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal83 View Post

Hmmm your right i just tried it. Thats not right. If i decide i want it i will talk to my local store manager and make them take 10% off.

I thought about calling Corporate to see if they could help get the discount applied but even with the 10% applied you would still end up paying $500 with taxes added in. It was a much better deal to go to J&R with the total coming to $449.
post #71 of 9463 Old 05-08-2008, 07:19 PM

Sorry if this is dumb question, but will I be able to listen to my SACD cd's playing on my PS3 with the 606?
-mw
post #72 of 9463 Old 05-08-2008, 08:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I thought about calling Corporate to see if they could help get the discount applied but even with the 10% applied you would still end up paying $500 with taxes added in. It was a much better deal to go to J&R with the total coming to $449.

Well for you maybe.
If they can can honor the 10% for me i'd get it for $449. My state does not have a sales tax.
post #73 of 9463 Old 05-08-2008, 10:11 PM

Woot got shipping confirmation from JR. Should be in my possession by the end of next week.
post #74 of 9463 Old 05-09-2008, 01:41 AM

Liked: 11
question~

Does audio pass through HDMI if the receiver is turned off? meaning...my son likes to watch his kid movies, but doesn't need to be engulfed by the surround sound, and as it stands now, he can just listen through the t.v speakers (currently hdmi to t.v., optical to AVR).

does the receiver have to be powered on to pass the signal through to the t.v.?
post #75 of 9463 Old 05-09-2008, 02:58 AM

Liked: 11
<<I just spoke to a CSR and this is a misprint and he told me they will not honor this coupon price. Whenever you try to apply this coupon it says "There are no items in your cart that qualify for the terms of the coupon entered. No discount was applied. You can review the terms of the coupon by clicking "view terms" below, or remove the coupon by clicking "remove coupon" below." I pointed out to him that this was false advertising and that they should honor the coupon. He said "management" has decided it will not be honored and they are working to fix the misprint. Looks like I will not be buying it from CC.>>

My friend called up to get the 10% off because it wouldn't work. The Supervisor tried all his tricks to apply the 10% off but couldn't do it. Friend said you have to honor it, the coupon was on your site for two weeks or so. The manager put a note in his order that when it is released to give him 10% price match for the price of the unit.

He did end up canceling it and going with ABT for the item. It was much cheaper and arrived in two days.

My experience with Mackcam Warranties. Projector sent with HDMI issue, returned with Lens damage. Still no ETA. 6 Months waiting to date. Sporadic response from CS. Stated it was sent to Epson, but was sent to another repair shop.
post #76 of 9463 Old 05-09-2008, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuffOfInterest View Post

What's your VAT rate there? I think that is where a lot of the price difference comes from. Most people in the US who buy online are still able to get around US sales tax which keeps the price down. Don't worry, we get it on the back end with the income tax.

VAT rate here is 21%
post #77 of 9463 Old 05-09-2008, 04:34 AM

got mine yesterday and very impressed changed from a sony STR-DB930 to 606
post #78 of 9463 Old 05-09-2008, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amplified View Post

Woot got shipping confirmation from JR. Should be in my possession by the end of next week.

Ha really? They gave everyone the run around and said it wasn't going out until next week, hence all the cancels
post #79 of 9463 Old 05-09-2008, 04:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoidys View Post

got mine yesterday and very impressed changed from a sony STR-DB930 to 606

Congrats! I'm sure there are lots of folks around here that would like to hear your impressions.

post #80 of 9463 Old 05-09-2008, 04:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norske View Post

question~

Does audio pass through HDMI if the receiver is turned off? meaning...my son likes to watch his kid movies, but doesn't need to be engulfed by the surround sound, and as it stands now, he can just listen through the t.v speakers (currently hdmi to t.v., optical to AVR).

I was thinking about this last night, but didn't have the opportunity to test. My weekend is booked pretty solid with mother's day, but I'll see if I can't give it a shot.

post #81 of 9463 Old 05-09-2008, 04:45 AM

haveing trouble with the Audyssey setup it keep reporting an error on setup when it gets to rear left speaker im running 5.1 not 7.1 !!!!
post #82 of 9463 Old 05-09-2008, 04:57 AM

What does this receiver do with Dolby True HD and DTS MA with a 5.1 set-up? Does it play all the sound that come from the surround L & R in a 7.1 set-up in the front L & R/rear speakers of a 5.1 set-up?

Thanks,

Robert Christian Barger
post #83 of 9463 Old 05-09-2008, 05:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedbump49 View Post

Sorry if this is dumb question, but will I be able to listen to my SACD cd's playing on my PS3 with the 606?
-mw

Depends on which PS3 you bought. The early 20 and 60GB models supported SACD playback, whereas the 40GB (and maybe 80GB) do not.

If the player supports it, the receiver will accept the Multichannel LPCM like any other LPCM - it doesn't know/care where it came from.

shinksma

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my captors.
post #84 of 9463 Old 05-09-2008, 05:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norske View Post

question~

Almost all receivers have to be on to pass the HDMI signals. It isn't a true electro-mechanical switch, there are chips/firmware/software in between.

I believe that is the case here too.

shinksma

post #85 of 9463 Old 05-09-2008, 05:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcbtaw View Post

What does this receiver do with Dolby True HD and DTS MA with a 5.1 set-up? Does it play all the sound that come from the surround L & R in a 7.1 set-up in the front L & R/rear speakers of a 5.1 set-up?

Thanks,

According to the manual, it will allow matrixing the 5.1 signals to the rear surrounds. Or you can just leave it as 5.1, with the rear surrounds silent.

This is AFAIK/interpreting the manual - mine won't arrive until next week.

shinksma

post #86 of 9463 Old 05-09-2008, 05:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoidys View Post

haveing trouble with the Audyssey setup it keep reporting an error on setup when it gets to rear left speaker im running 5.1 not 7.1 !!!!

If you are running 5.1, make sure you connect the surround speakers to the "surround" outputs, not the "surround back" outputs.

shinksma

post #87 of 9463 Old 05-09-2008, 05:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuffOfInterest View Post

What's your VAT rate there? I think that is where a lot of the price difference comes from. Most people in the US who buy online are still able to get around US sales tax which keeps the price down. Don't worry, we get it on the back end with the income tax.

Coming from Canada, but now residing in the US, believe me: you don't get hit very hard on income taxes. Canadian income taxes are much higher than the States, mainly thanks to provincial income taxes that add an additional (roughly) 50% to the federal rates. And sales taxes are also higher - about 14% on average, thanks to federal sales tax of 7% (is it 7% or 8%? Been a while) and similar provincial rates, or what is known as a harmonized sales tax of 14-15% that combines them in some provinces.

Basically, that's how the "free" health-care system is paid for.

Back on topic (i.e. 606 and how wonderful it should be):

The unit is reported to be lighter, and so far is reported to put out less heat, compared to a 605. And it consumes less power (1 ampere less on the rating).

Has anyone been able to do a side-by-side comparison to hear whether the 606 has any audible difference using the same source material? I'm wondering whether the lightening of the unit is a result of using a different, not-as-good-as-before amplifier section.

Or is it purely an advancement of amplifier efficiency technology with no impact to sound quality?

shinksma

post #88 of 9463 Old 05-09-2008, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nydennis View Post

<<I just spoke to a CSR and this is a misprint and he told me they will not honor this coupon price. Whenever you try to apply this coupon it says "There are no items in your cart that qualify for the terms of the coupon entered. No discount was applied. You can review the terms of the coupon by clicking "view terms" below, or remove the coupon by clicking "remove coupon" below." I pointed out to him that this was false advertising and that they should honor the coupon. He said "management" has decided it will not be honored and they are working to fix the misprint. Looks like I will not be buying it from CC.>>

My friend called up to get the 10% off because it wouldn't work. The Supervisor tried all his tricks to apply the 10% off but couldn't do it. Friend said you have to honor it, the coupon was on your site for two weeks or so. The manager put a note in his order that when it is released to give him 10% price match for the price of the unit.

He did end up canceling it and going with ABT for the item. It was much cheaper and arrived in two days.

10% off coupon on CC website is working now..
post #89 of 9463 Old 05-09-2008, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
For 606 owners with calibration discs...

Does the 606 pass BTB and WTW through HDMI?

My ArgyllCMS/MadVR 3DLUT Creation Workflow
My Sharp Elite Movie THX AV Mode Settings
--Aug 2011 Set, 2.2 gamma [ link ]
--Nov 2012 Set, 2.2 gamma [ link ]
post #90 of 9463 Old 05-09-2008, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by N3W813 View Post

For 606 owners with calibration discs...

Does the 606 pass BTB and WTW through HDMI?

I'm kind of curious about this myself.

On a side note, I put in the Superman Returns HD DVD last night. Even with my less-than-desirable speakers it sounded phenomenal. The airplane rescue had me on the edge of my seat, even though I've seen the movie several times.

The wife is going to have put earplugs in tonight because I'm going to crank it.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page