The Onkyo TX-SR606 Owners Thread - Page 311 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #9301 of 9463 Old 02-11-2012, 07:18 PM
Member
 
Carphunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
how long does it normally take from when you fill in a support ticket on their site until they email you with rma/return info?
Carphunter is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #9302 of 9463 Old 02-12-2012, 07:42 AM
Member
 
Spike Forehand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Avondale, PA
Posts: 70
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Replacing my 606 with a 3D capable Denon.

Anyone know what a used 606 is going for?

-----------------------------------------------

"Blow, ye wind, like the trumpet blows. But without that noise."
Spike Forehand is offline  
post #9303 of 9463 Old 02-12-2012, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member
 
badgerpilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Bedford, Texas
Posts: 1,421
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike Forehand View Post

Replacing my 606 with a 3D capable Denon.

Anyone know what a used 606 is going for?

I just saw one on CL for $145.
badgerpilot is offline  
post #9304 of 9463 Old 02-12-2012, 07:57 AM
Newbie
 
mkrieger0101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Wentzville, MO
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carphunter View Post

how long does it normally take from when you fill in a support ticket on their site until they email you with rma/return info?

I made my initial phone call to Onkyo USA a little over a month ago. I emailed them the info they wanted the next day and never heard back. I called them weekly until this week when I was told the repair authorization was done but they had never contacted me to tell me. Guy on the phone said they had been going through some staffing issues. I dropped my 606 off at my local authorized repairer who told me it would take up to 3 weeks to repair if they have to order a part from Onkyo, but your experience on that end will vary.
mkrieger0101 is offline  
post #9305 of 9463 Old 02-14-2012, 12:07 PM
Advanced Member
 
tuffluck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 519
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
i bought my onkyo 606 in january of 2009 so have barely owned it for 3 years now. it has recently stopped playing 1080p almost entirely and has trouble even playing 1080i anymore. at least i think my diagnosis is correct. here are the symptoms:

1. BD on 1080p 9/10 times will not have audio/video recognized, however if i plug directly into the TV it is recognized 10/10 times. also i turned 1080p off and use 720p and the receiver recognizes the BD player every time.
2. TW cable is 1080i and takes >2 minutes from start-up until any audio/video is received to the television/speakers. sometimes audio comes first and video never comes (rare), and then i have to turn off and restart. however if i plug TW cable directly to TV, it works almost instantaneously.
3. i have tried several different combinations of HDMI cords and several different combinations of HDMI inputs on the back of the unit in all of these applications to no avail.

so, sounds like the receiver, no? is there anything i can do to fix the unit or does it need replacing? it is frustrating that onkyo, so well known as a top-tier brand, craps out on me after 3 years.
tuffluck is offline  
post #9306 of 9463 Old 02-14-2012, 12:18 PM
Newbie
 
mkrieger0101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Wentzville, MO
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffluck View Post

i bought my onkyo 606 in january of 2009 so have barely owned it for 3 years now. it has recently stopped playing 1080p almost entirely and has trouble even playing 1080i anymore. at least i think my diagnosis is correct. here are the symptoms:

1. BD on 1080p 9/10 times will not have audio/video recognized, however if i plug directly into the TV it is recognized 10/10 times. also i turned 1080p off and use 720p and the receiver recognizes the BD player every time.
2. TW cable is 1080i and takes >2 minutes from start-up until any audio/video is received to the television/speakers. sometimes audio comes first and video never comes (rare), and then i have to turn off and restart. however if i plug TW cable directly to TV, it works almost instantaneously.
3. i have tried several different combinations of HDMI cords and several different combinations of HDMI inputs on the back of the unit in all of these applications to no avail.

so, sounds like the receiver, no? is there anything i can do to fix the unit or does it need replacing? it is frustrating that onkyo, so well known as a top-tier brand, craps out on me after 3 years.

Sounds like you're having similar issues to others in this forum. Several of us, myself included, have been able to contact Onkyo USA (201-785-2600, Option 4 i think) and get them to authorize a one-time out of warranty repair. It took a long time to get mine authorized, but it is at the shop now. I figure if I can get 3 more years out of it I'll have gotten 6 total and I'll be good to upgrade. Not having surround sound is killing me though and it has only been 3 days of a possible 3 weeks.
mkrieger0101 is offline  
post #9307 of 9463 Old 02-14-2012, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member
 
nlsteele's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Springfield, IL
Posts: 1,336
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffluck View Post

so, sounds like the receiver, no? is there anything i can do to fix the unit or does it need replacing? it is frustrating that onkyo, so well known as a top-tier brand, craps out on me after 3 years.

Read back through the last few pages of this thread or even just this page. Your problem is common, the solution relatively easy and generally being absorbed by Onkyo. Best of luck!

nlsteele is offline  
post #9308 of 9463 Old 02-14-2012, 02:05 PM
Advanced Member
 
tuffluck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 519
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
thanks. i just sat on hold for 30 minutes until the hold music stopped and i got the "sorry you have reached us after hours" message. i bout threw my phone across the room. i haven't even spoken with onkyo yet and i'm already about to give up on ever purchasing from them again.
tuffluck is offline  
post #9309 of 9463 Old 02-14-2012, 02:07 PM
Advanced Member
 
raistline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: MidWest
Posts: 752
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffluck View Post

thanks. i just sat on hold for 30 minutes until the hold music stopped and i got the "sorry you have reached us after hours" message. i bout threw my phone across the room. i haven't even spoken with onkyo yet and i'm already about to give up on ever purchasing from them again.

You think that is bad, try dealing with ATT wireless. They will give you the run around for 2 hours and still not accomplish a thing. And they are a company with a LOCAL call center. I think you may just have super high expectation when it comes to modern day Customer dis-Service.
raistline is offline  
post #9310 of 9463 Old 02-14-2012, 02:07 PM
Newbie
 
mkrieger0101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Wentzville, MO
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffluck View Post

thanks. i just sat on hold for 30 minutes until the hold music stopped and i got the "sorry you have reached us after hours" message. i bout threw my phone across the room. i haven't even spoken with onkyo yet and i'm already about to give up on ever purchasing from them again.

I had the same issue, hope it works out for you.
mkrieger0101 is offline  
post #9311 of 9463 Old 02-14-2012, 02:19 PM
Advanced Member
 
tuffluck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 519
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by raistline View Post

You think that is bad, try dealing with ATT wireless. They will give you the run around for 2 hours and still not accomplish a thing. And they are a company with a LOCAL call center. I think you may just have super high expectation when it comes to modern day Customer dis-Service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkrieger0101 View Post

I had the same issue, hope it works out for you.

just seems like proper etiquette to tell people in your automated answering service something along the lines of "if you are on hold when our offices closes, you will need to call back the next business day." so at least you know you may be waiting in vain.
tuffluck is offline  
post #9312 of 9463 Old 02-14-2012, 03:58 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
wilsonsoohoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Roseville, CA
Posts: 521
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffluck View Post

thanks. i just sat on hold for 30 minutes until the hold music stopped and i got the "sorry you have reached us after hours" message. i bout threw my phone across the room. i haven't even spoken with onkyo yet and i'm already about to give up on ever purchasing from them again.

I never got to speak with a human being, either; so I just fixed it. I was surprised that the fix actually worked, since I hadn't soldered since Jr. High School Electric Shop.
wilsonsoohoo is offline  
post #9313 of 9463 Old 02-15-2012, 07:46 AM
Advanced Member
 
tuffluck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 519
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
i finally spoke to someone after waiting on hold for 2.5 hours. before i said anything other than "HDMI" and "606" they said immediately that the 606 was eligible for a one time repair out of warranty. so to anyone considering calling them, it was a very painless process to get them to allow the warranty work as they seem to be well aware of this problem on this particular unit.

might be a random question, but how have some of you shipped yours? and i mean what size box and what type of styrofoam inside did you use, etc. looking at office depot, a box and the styrofoam peanuts is kind of expensive. plus shipping has got to be $50+ (they said UPS or FedEx only), so i see this as being a $75 investment easily... any advice on how you shipped yours would be appreciated. oh, and how long did you guys wait to get your unit back after sending it in?
tuffluck is offline  
post #9314 of 9463 Old 02-15-2012, 03:39 PM
Newbie
 
mkrieger0101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Wentzville, MO
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffluck View Post

i finally spoke to someone after waiting on hold for 2.5 hours. before i said anything other than "HDMI" and "606" they said immediately that the 606 was eligible for a one time repair out of warranty. so to anyone considering calling them, it was a very painless process to get them to allow the warranty work as they seem to be well aware of this problem on this particular unit.

might be a random question, but how have some of you shipped yours? and i mean what size box and what type of styrofoam inside did you use, etc. looking at office depot, a box and the styrofoam peanuts is kind of expensive. plus shipping has got to be $50+ (they said UPS or FedEx only), so i see this as being a $75 investment easily... any advice on how you shipped yours would be appreciated. oh, and how long did you guys wait to get your unit back after sending it in?

Is there no local repair center where u live?
mkrieger0101 is offline  
post #9315 of 9463 Old 02-16-2012, 01:11 PM
Advanced Member
 
tuffluck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 519
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkrieger0101 View Post

Is there no local repair center where u live?

edit: turns out they are having me send it to a local shop, so no shipping. well, that was easy. anyone with this problem should go directly to onkyo. aside from waiting on hold for hours, the process was pretty painless and saved me from buying a new receiver.
tuffluck is offline  
post #9316 of 9463 Old 02-18-2012, 09:51 AM
Senior Member
 
kcgr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 398
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I've had one of these 606s for a few years now and haven't had any issues at all. It is very well ventilated. Was there a bad batch or a range of serial numbers affected? Perhaps I'm one of the lucky few. Of course just by posting this, I'm probably going to start having issues
kcgr is offline  
post #9317 of 9463 Old 02-18-2012, 10:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
scowl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 10,436
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcgr View Post

I've had one of these 606s for a few years now and haven't had any issues at all.

Because....
Quote:


It is very well ventilated.

Onkyo assumed no one would ever put their product into a AV cabinet.

Quote:


Was there a bad batch or a range of serial numbers affected? Perhaps I'm one of the lucky few.

No, they are all defective. The design placed the HDMI board directly over scorching hot components insuring its destruction. If you keep it out in the open or maintain a good breeze going through it, should survive longer.

NOW: my post on AVS Forum.
NEXT: someone else's post on AVS Forum.
scowl is offline  
post #9318 of 9463 Old 02-19-2012, 05:11 AM
Senior Member
 
Jscopus's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 213
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Have had a 606 for a few years and the problems began early on. Did not realize until I searched the net how well known this problem is. Sort of embarassing as I have belonged to this forum for years! Contacted Onkyo and they said let them know the serial number and they would process the repair. Sent the serial number and nothing...no response, no follow up to increasingly intense emails. Try to call their toll free number and don't have an hour to sit on hold. Next plan was to send a letter to the head of the company. Have found they find this so aggravating that things get handled. Usually it gets to the right hands when you send a certified letter using your office stationary. Really lame, but I sure can't see paying $75 to ship this and if the fix is just going to be the capacitor replacement, etc. outlined earlier, I would just as soon do that myself- more fun and satisfaction for a few bucks to bring it back to life myself.
Jscopus is offline  
post #9319 of 9463 Old 02-20-2012, 01:14 PM
Newbie
 
C-Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I also had the HDMI switching problem and contacted Onkyo. They let me send it in for repairs (even though I am out of warranty) since this is a well known defect. I had to ship it to Michigan and did not have the original box anymore, so it ended up costing me about $45 out of pocket. Hopefully I get it back quickly and it works well for at least 3 more years!
C-Man is offline  
post #9320 of 9463 Old 02-20-2012, 03:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
scowl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 10,436
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Even if you replace it with another receiver, it's not a bad idea to keep the 606 stored someplace in case the replacement fails, although I did enjoy smashing my 606 to bits so it would fit in the trash can. I already have an old Panasonic (HDMI version 1.0!) in case my replacement fails.

NOW: my post on AVS Forum.
NEXT: someone else's post on AVS Forum.
scowl is offline  
post #9321 of 9463 Old 02-20-2012, 09:02 PM
AVS Special Member
 
badgerpilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Bedford, Texas
Posts: 1,421
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by scowl View Post

Even if you replace it with another receiver, it's not a bad idea to keep the 606 stored someplace in case the replacement fails, although I did enjoy smashing my 606 to bits so it would fit in the trash can. I already have an old Panasonic (HDMI version 1.0!) in case my replacement fails.

My 606 is currently covering for my Onkyo 1007 which had a total audio failure. Good advice unless you like your TV's speakers!
badgerpilot is offline  
post #9322 of 9463 Old 02-21-2012, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member
 
nlsteele's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Springfield, IL
Posts: 1,336
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgerpilot View Post

My 606 is currently covering for my Onkyo 1007 which had a total audio failure. Good advice unless you like your TV's speakers!

Not to go OT, but what failed on the 1007?

nlsteele is offline  
post #9323 of 9463 Old 02-21-2012, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member
 
badgerpilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Bedford, Texas
Posts: 1,421
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by nlsteele View Post


Not to go OT, but what failed on the 1007?

It hasn't been diagnosed yet, it's in the shop waiting its turn. Basically, there is no audio for any input, including the AM/FM Tuner. For most it seems the problem is an HDMI board failure. Sound familiar? I have to give Onkyo credit though, they are fixing it out or warranty. I just wish they would come up with a more robust HDMI board design.
badgerpilot is offline  
post #9324 of 9463 Old 02-22-2012, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member
 
nlsteele's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Springfield, IL
Posts: 1,336
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgerpilot View Post

It hasn't been diagnosed yet, it's in the shop waiting its turn. Basically, there is no audio for any input, including the AM/FM Tuner. For most it seems the problem is an HDMI board failure. Sound familiar? I have to give Onkyo credit though, they are fixing it out or warranty. I just wish they would come up with a more robust HDMI board design.

I see they left the component video boards underneath the HDMI board even on the 1007, are the HDMI boards failing due to capacitors again?

nlsteele is offline  
post #9325 of 9463 Old 02-22-2012, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member
 
badgerpilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Bedford, Texas
Posts: 1,421
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by nlsteele View Post


I see they left the component video boards underneath the HDMI board even on the 1007, are the HDMI boards failing due to capacitors again?

That seems to be the case. Sometimes the repair is replacing capacitors and for others its the whole board. The problem seems to come back for some, resulting in a 1009 as a replacement. I'm trying to decide what to do once mine comes back. I love the sound and features of the 1007 and Onkyo in general but I am tired of having to hassle with repairs. I kept fans on this unit, and the 606 for that matter, but it doesn't seem to make a difference except to maybe prolong the eventual failure. We use the receiver every day, can't stand TV speakers, so maybe I just have to move up to something more robust, but what that Might be, I don't know.
badgerpilot is offline  
post #9326 of 9463 Old 02-22-2012, 12:03 PM
Member
 
texascoral's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Grapevine, TX
Posts: 71
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
badgerpilot,

I am eager to see what they do for you. My 1007 is at the same shop off Preston about 14 days after you. Mine however is in warrantee period.

Good luck
texascoral is offline  
post #9327 of 9463 Old 02-22-2012, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member
 
badgerpilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Bedford, Texas
Posts: 1,421
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by texascoral View Post

badgerpilot,

I am eager to see what they do for you. My 1007 is at the same shop off Preston about 14 days after you. Mine however is in warrantee period.

Good luck

They said they should be able to look at it next week. In the past, my experience has been it is a month before I see it again. Mine is being fixed under what Onkyo calls a one time warranty repair.
badgerpilot is offline  
post #9328 of 9463 Old 02-22-2012, 01:05 PM
Member
 
texascoral's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Grapevine, TX
Posts: 71
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the info. I hope they have run out of boards and replace instead of repair. Seems like those that have had them replaced took about two months of stagnant time before Onkyo threw in the towel.

Meanwhile my 12 year old Yamaha is still cranking. But I admit doesn't sound nearly as good as these do.
texascoral is offline  
post #9329 of 9463 Old 02-22-2012, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member
 
nlsteele's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Springfield, IL
Posts: 1,336
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgerpilot View Post

We use the receiver every day, can't stand TV speakers, so maybe I just have to move up to something more robust, but what that Might be, I don't know.

I'm similar in my usage and that's hours and hours each day. Wound up replacing my defunct 606 (that--now with its fancy new HDMI board after total capacitor replacement failed thanks entirely to Onkyo out of warranty--serves our bedroom well) with a refurb'ed Denon 3808ci and haven't had an unhappy day since. Watch out for their Chinese manufactured units if you go that route, their current equivalent mode (4311ci) and above are all Japanese units without the nuanced problems of the others.

nlsteele is offline  
post #9330 of 9463 Old 02-28-2012, 02:03 PM
Newbie
 
mkrieger0101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Wentzville, MO
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Got my 606 back from the shop today. They replaced 6 capacitors and added 6 more. The guy told me that is the fix Onkyo has come up with. I'm not a technical person so don't ask me how. Working great now. Hopefully I can get several more years out of my good ol' 606. Grateful Onkyo did a free fix.
mkrieger0101 is offline  
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off