Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #9361 of 9488 Old 04-25-2012, 07:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Farewell, TX-SR606, and I thank you.

Have just replace my 606 with TX-NR3008 in a clearance sell.

606 is a very good receiver in its price point (It still good after HDMI board failed on me 2 years ago)

Anyways, after sometime with NR3008, I found the audyssey MultEQ XT32 is a lot
better that 2EQ. The bass is another world and I can hear new background sound that I can not hear from the movie when I use 2EQ on 606.

And don't worry about the poor 606, it will get new home. I found someone who
don't care much about HDMI and RoomEQ to take care of him.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9362 of 9488 Old 06-04-2012, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowmaker View Post

Got the call today that its ready for pick-up. 9 days only! I'll get it tomorrow.

I just hope all my level settings are still set. Does anyone know if they default stuff like that when repaired?

Well, this weekend my CBL/SAT input decided to quit receiving audio. All the other HDMI inputs still work. Of course this happens a week after the "30 day repair warranty on parts" is over, but I'm hoping they consider it close enough to not charge me.
post #9363 of 9488 Old 06-27-2012, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowmaker View Post

Well, this weekend my CBL/SAT input decided to quit receiving audio. All the other HDMI inputs still work. Of course this happens a week after the "30 day repair warranty on parts" is over, but I'm hoping they consider it close enough to not charge me.

My 606 HDMI failed last month and I had it replaced under warranty, n its been nearly 4 years I bought it..
Don't worry, they will do a one time out of warranty repair, just call..
post #9364 of 9488 Old 06-27-2012, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macho1 View Post

My 606 HDMI failed last month and I had it replaced under warranty, n its been nearly 4 years I bought it..
Don't worry, they will do a one time out of warranty repair, just call..

Same here...My unit was 5 years old, and they replaced it out of warranty last month because it was a common known issue. Repair took 3 days, and now its just like new.
post #9365 of 9488 Old 06-29-2012, 10:41 PM

Hello Everyone,

Looking for any idea's here. I believe I've been suffereing from the HDMI switching failure. pausing and having a hard time switching on a video. it stopped working with my Blue ray player and would only upconvert to 720P. I've had this issue for about 2 years. started just after warranty ran out. I visited where I purchased and the unit. They only directed to a repair shop for me to pay to have it repaired. Thanks for letting me know this was a common issue. Anyways......

New problem arose this week. due to the switching problem I had gotten into the habit of leaving the unit on. I came home this week and went to switch to Cable from VCR/DVR (which I have HDtv hooked to) and it wouldn't switch channels. furthermore it wouldn't turn off, I couldn't adjust the volume. So I figure I'll unplug the unit to reset. Wait 5 min and plug in, it turns on automatically still frozen on VCR/DVR. So I unplug it overnight......No change......I remove all inputs, speaker wires etc.......No change, still frozen. can't reset defaults, can't adjust volume, can't turn off.

Is it worth getting into a conversation with Onkyo, repairing or better off purchasing a newer unit? I do like the unit.

In Canada not sure if this poses problems either.

Many Thanks
post #9366 of 9488 Old 07-03-2012, 03:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJCReaper View Post

Hello Everyone,
Looking for any idea's here. I believe I've been suffereing from the HDMI switching failure. pausing and having a hard time switching on a video. it stopped working with my Blue ray player and would only upconvert to 720P. I've had this issue for about 2 years. started just after warranty ran out. I visited where I purchased and the unit. They only directed to a repair shop for me to pay to have it repaired. Thanks for letting me know this was a common issue. Anyways......
New problem arose this week. due to the switching problem I had gotten into the habit of leaving the unit on. I came home this week and went to switch to Cable from VCR/DVR (which I have HDtv hooked to) and it wouldn't switch channels. furthermore it wouldn't turn off, I couldn't adjust the volume. So I figure I'll unplug the unit to reset. Wait 5 min and plug in, it turns on automatically still frozen on VCR/DVR. So I unplug it overnight......No change......I remove all inputs, speaker wires etc.......No change, still frozen. can't reset defaults, can't adjust volume, can't turn off.
Is it worth getting into a conversation with Onkyo, repairing or better off purchasing a newer unit? I do like the unit.
In Canada not sure if this poses problems either.
Many Thanks

Well, I can't say how being a Canuck might affect your solution, but I can say Onkyo has done *many* out of warranty repairs for the HDMI board issues (primarily capacitors frying), mine being one of them. Can't begin to think what the new issues are, but if somehow related, Onkyo might be good enough to fix them as well. It would be worth contacting them just to find out. You need the receipt and need to have purchased from an Onkyo authorized retailer. Other than that, it's up to you and the fates. smile.gif

If nothing else, the call is free.

post #9367 of 9488 Old 07-30-2012, 02:07 AM

Just thought I'd let you know...

I was given a TX-SR606 18 months ago with a known dodgy HDMI - eventually, at the end of last year it failed completely. Wouldn't give me any OSD, any output or input via HDMI etc. I replaced the 5 100uF 4v capacitors as detailed with 100uF 25v capacitors, and it has restored full functionality.

N
post #9368 of 9488 Old 08-03-2012, 04:46 AM
xtc

Does anyone know if there is a way to turn off the sound from certain speakers in your setup, while leaving others on? (Other than literally unplugging the ones you don't want?) I'm only able to lower the volume in the "Level Calibration" part of the speaker setup screen. But not able to completely mute the sound.
post #9369 of 9488 Old 08-03-2012, 07:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked: 413
Sure, go into the system menu and set the speakers to OFF or NONE. You cant turn off the front left and right speakers though.

What speakers are you trying to turn off?

Afro GT
post #9370 of 9488 Old 08-03-2012, 07:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

To set your speakers to NONE, look on page 72 of your manual.

If you no longer have the manual you can download it here.
http://filedepot.onkyousa.com/Files/own_manuals/TX-SR606_En_A_Rev1.pdf?CFID=1549324&CFTOKEN=23803101&jsessionid=f0306c48d913cd0f57226f1c46736442354c

Afro GT
post #9371 of 9488 Old 08-03-2012, 01:13 PM
xtc

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

Sure, go into the system menu and set the speakers to OFF or NONE. You cant turn off the front left and right speakers though.
What speakers are you trying to turn off?

I'm actually trying to turn off all the speakers except the surround right. Is there absolutely no way to do it through the onkyo then?
post #9372 of 9488 Old 08-03-2012, 03:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Not to my knowledge...

Afro GT
post #9373 of 9488 Old 10-04-2012, 04:11 PM
Advanced Member

I've been following this thread for a long time. My 606 is a little over 2 years old. I use it mostly when watching BR disc, and my Roku HD. Once in a while I run my TV/Satellite sound through it. All my connections are HDMI except Optical Audio connection from the TV along with the HDMI input from the 606. (Hope I explaining this correctly.) I have 3 fans on top of the 606 to displace the heat from the daughter board. I've never have had a problem with my 606, audio or video. Ever.

I was away for 2 weeks and my wife and 26yo son were home. When I got back I can't get the OSD to work on my TV, and I can't get and audio to pass through the 606 from my TV/Satellite. Blu-ray player has no problem with audio or video, but that HDMI connection goes from my BR player directly to my TV, and the audio via Toslink from the BR player to the 606. My Roku HD is connected to the 606 and "pass through" to my TV...No problem there.

Only problem comes with my TV. Is this the dreaded "Daughter Board Failure" that the 606 is known for? Would it just go out with out any warning? Why the Ruko HD still "pass through" both video and audio? Or could my son have hit some buttons that messed up my settings? The problem I'm having is without being able to use the OSD, it's really, really, hard for me to read the 606's faceplate screen and see my settings. This is really upsetting because my 606 has performed rock solid since I've purchased it. Now is not the time for me to have to buy a new receiver!

What do you Onkyo 606 owners have to say? Any advice for me? Am I overlooking something simple, or am I just not facing the fact that my 606 has gone belly up?

I could really use some advice.

Thanks,

Ghpr13 :(

Info=Knowledge=Understanding=Better TV!
I see dead pixels!
post #9374 of 9488 Old 10-04-2012, 04:55 PM

Mine just went a month ago 250 dollars to repair just bought vsx-822k

Buffalo, NY
post #9375 of 9488 Old 10-05-2012, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghpr13 View Post

I've been following this thread for a long time. My 606 is a little over 2 years old. I use it mostly when watching BR disc, and my Roku HD. Once in a while I run my TV/Satellite sound through it. All my connections are HDMI except Optical Audio connection from the TV along with the HDMI input from the 606. (Hope I explaining this correctly.) I have 3 fans on top of the 606 to displace the heat from the daughter board. I've never have had a problem with my 606, audio or video. Ever.

I was away for 2 weeks and my wife and 26yo son were home. When I got back I can't get the OSD to work on my TV, and I can't get and audio to pass through the 606 from my TV/Satellite. Blu-ray player has no problem with audio or video, but that HDMI connection goes from my BR player directly to my TV, and the audio via Toslink from the BR player to the 606. My Roku HD is connected to the 606 and "pass through" to my TV...No problem there.

Only problem comes with my TV. Is this the dreaded "Daughter Board Failure" that the 606 is known for? Would it just go out with out any warning? Why the Ruko HD still "pass through" both video and audio? Or could my son have hit some buttons that messed up my settings? The problem I'm having is without being able to use the OSD, it's really, really, hard for me to read the 606's faceplate screen and see my settings. This is really upsetting because my 606 has performed rock solid since I've purchased it. Now is not the time for me to have to buy a new receiver!

What do you Onkyo 606 owners have to say? Any advice for me? Am I overlooking something simple, or am I just not facing the fact that my 606 has gone belly up?

I could really use some advice.
Thanks,
Ghpr13 frown.gif

Try some other HDMI sources to be sure(run the BluRay player HDMI only through the receiver, you should anyway to get the most out of a Bluray). If it is and you don't want to fix it yourself, there is a guy on eBay that will fix for $75. I have not used him but maybe someone who has will chime in. You can always try Onkyo for an Out of Warranty fix. It is always worth a try. Good luck!
post #9376 of 9488 Old 10-05-2012, 03:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgerpilot View Post

Try some other HDMI sources to be sure(run the BluRay player HDMI only through the receiver, you should anyway to get the most out of a Bluray). If it is and you don't want to fix it yourself, there is a guy on eBay that will fix for $75. I have not used him but maybe someone who has will chime in. You can always try Onkyo for an Out of Warranty fix. It is always worth a try. Good luck!

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll give all 3 a try.

Ghpr13:)

I see dead pixels!
post #9377 of 9488 Old 10-27-2012, 11:54 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
I am having the HDMI problem, My reciever is 5+ yrs old. I was thinking of getting a 516 to replace it. But the reciever is great when it works. I am going to try and see if Onkyo will fix it. I know it is way out of warranty. But this is a known defect. If they won't fix it. Then I may try to replace the Capacitors my self. I have never used a soldering tool before. But if they don't repair it I will buy from another brand( Pioneer or Denon).
post #9378 of 9488 Old 10-27-2012, 12:35 PM

Does anyone have the latest contact information for Onkyo to deal with this issue...

I'm in Rhode Island.

"Like most weak men, he prided himself on never changing one's mind." W. Somerset Maugham

post #9379 of 9488 Old 10-27-2012, 12:58 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Onkyo's handling of an obvious manufacturing issue has turned me off to all their products. I switched to Yamaha and will see how they do with longevity. A sparely used AVR should not become useless in less than 2 years. I'm also spreading the word about Onkyo. I used to hold the brand in much higher regard but after seeing so many HDMI issues across the product line, and no backing it up or recalls for the issue, it made me take my money somewhere else.
post #9380 of 9488 Old 10-27-2012, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beowulf1 View Post

Does anyone have the latest contact information for Onkyo to deal with this issue...
I'm in Rhode Island.

You can find it in the Onkyo forums:
http://onkyoproductsupport.forumotion.com/

Denon AVR-4520CI
Carver Amazing Originals/ Carver Amazing Silvers
(2) Sonotube Subs with 18" Stereo Integrity D4 Drivers
Projector: BenQ W1070
Some audio history:
https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=222FF...3449%21138&v=3
post #9381 of 9488 Old 10-27-2012, 01:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradP View Post

Onkyo's handling of an obvious manufacturing issue has turned me off to all their products. I switched to Yamaha and will see how they do with longevity. A sparely used AVR should not become useless in less than 2 years.

That's what I did. Right after my SR606 failed I bought a cheap Yamaha receiver and it's been running without problems for over two years in the same location that the SR606 self-destructed. It has given me the same functionality that I got from the Onkyo.

I was concerned when I first plugged the SR606 in and felt all that heat pouring out of it but I had been buying Onkyo products since the 80's and figured they built their products to handle heat. Wrong. Once I saw how they positioned the failing HDMI board so it would barbecue over a sizzling hot heat sink, I knew they hadn't put any thought into how this thing would cool itself.

Onkyo's service has been fantastic however. They've repaired products long past their warranty and there haven't been any complaints of failure afterwards. I almost wish I had kept mine as a backup to the Yamaha.

NOW: my post on AVS Forum.
NEXT: someone else's post on AVS Forum.
post #9382 of 9488 Old 10-27-2012, 03:50 PM
Advanced Member

If I get mine fixed, I am putting a PC fan to the right of the HDMI board to pull the heat out.
post #9383 of 9488 Old 10-27-2012, 06:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradP View Post

Onkyo's handling of an obvious manufacturing issue has turned me off to all their products. I switched to Yamaha and will see how they do with longevity. A sparely used AVR should not become useless in less than 2 years. I'm also spreading the word about Onkyo. I used to hold the brand in much higher regard but after seeing so many HDMI issues across the product line, and no backing it up or recalls for the issue, it made me take my money somewhere else.

I had a 606, sold it to a buddy for cheap because I wanted HDMI 1.4. Onkyo fixed it for him even though he wasn't the original purchaser and it was out of warranty. How is that not backing up their product?
nlpearman likes this.

Looky here!
post #9384 of 9488 Old 10-27-2012, 07:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnix View Post

I had a 606, sold it to a buddy for cheap because I wanted HDMI 1.4. Onkyo fixed it for him even though he wasn't the original purchaser and it was out of warranty. How is that not backing up their product?

I hope they fix mine because I love my 606, except that I have to unplug the PS3 to watch a 3D blu ray. But that's not Onkyo's fault. I think they make a great product, especially for the price and features. If they do me right , they have a customer for life.
post #9385 of 9488 Old 10-30-2012, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Not happy that both my 606 and 1007 had failures, BUT, Onkyo fixed both out of warranty and both receivers have worked flawlessly since. That is the kind of company I will continue to do business with. All manufacturers build some duds, but if they fix the issue, then I am fine with that.
post #9386 of 9488 Old 11-01-2012, 09:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwaidonjin View Post

I hope they fix mine because I love my 606, except that I have to unplug the PS3 to watch a 3D blu ray. But that's not Onkyo's fault. I think they make a great product, especially for the price and features. If they do me right , they have a customer for life.
They are doing me right. They are going to have it fixed.
post #9387 of 9488 Old 11-02-2012, 11:13 AM
Advanced Member

On 10/04/12 I posted that my 606 seem to have finally succumb to the HDMI Daughter Board problem. Now my 606 is over 2 years old, but I called Onkyo and explained the problem, letting them know I knew this was a known failure of the 606.

They authorized me a one time out of warranty repair. The only problem is that they wanted me to send it to a dealer in Michigan! I live in Kentucky and knew the shipping would be big bucks. So I was planning to go up to Chicago to visit and I

asked if I could take it to ABT Electronics, since that's where I bought it from and the are an authorized dealer. Onkyo said that was OK to do. ABT called me as soon as they got the paperwork from Onkyo, and I advised them I would be bringing

it in to them. I brought it to ABT, and the only question was about getting it back to me. I was only to be up in Chicago for a week, and I know how long others had posted it took to have the 606 repaired. ABT was really cool about it and said if

they didn't have it fixed before I left, they would ship it back to me for free! I asked if I could have that in writing, and they gave me a signed order stating if would be shipped to Kentucky for free. In two days ABT had it repaired! I got a call tell

me they had repaired the Daughter board, and was that all that needed to be repaired?  This is where I got greedy and should have just said that's was all, but no...I told them about one of my Tos-Link connections that would not hold an opt 

cable because the little door had broken off. ABT said no problem and would take care of it. Well the only problem this caused is that it took them about 6 days to get the part and repair it. So instead of leaving Chicago with my 606, I had to 

wait now till ABT had it fixed. But 3 days after I got home to KY, I got a call from ABT that it was done and would be shipped out that day. The very next day UPS delivered it around 3:00pm. I hooked it up and everything it running great! Tos-Link

connection holds my cable with out a problem, and all HDMI inputs/outputs are working great! I never had to spend one penny for anything! 

I've dealt with ABT Electronics for over 6 or 7 years now. All while being in Kentucky. They have flown out both my Samsung 40" LCD and my Panasonic 55" Plasma from O'hare airport. I've boughten 2 Blu-ray players, my Onkyo 7.1 speaker set

up, and, of course my 606 from them, and none of these have been top of the line, top dollar items. They have the best customer service I ever ran into with a electronic store. 

I so happy to have my 606 back! Though I think in the not so far future, I'm going to upgrade the 606 and I'm not leaning towards Onkyo for the upgrade. This was a pretty dumb error made on these daughter boards!

Ghpr13:)

I see dead pixels!
post #9388 of 9488 Old 11-02-2012, 08:26 PM
Advanced Member

I have to get mine fixed in Michigan also, I am just glad I only live an hour south of the place.
post #9389 of 9488 Old 11-03-2012, 03:45 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I just purchased an Onkyo 606 and it looks like it may have issues as discussed in the pages I've read on this thread, but wanted to make sure.

1. I reset the receiver to its factory settings.
2. I have an hdmi cable running from my project to the HDMI out on the receiver
3. I have an hdmi cable running from my blu ray to my receiver

The OSD menu will not display and I don't get any type of sound from the speakers/signal from the blu ray player.

Am I screwed, or am I missing a setting on the receiver?

Which capacitor would be best to get?

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=020-1618 - rated at 80 C
or
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=020-1704 - rate at 105 C
or
http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/31-8160
post #9390 of 9488 Old 11-29-2012, 07:18 AM

Morning folks. I've owned my 606 for almost 4 years now. During that first year, I had to send it in to get the HDMI board replaced. She's been running like a champ every since. Up until a couple months back. I have my cable box & PS3 connected via HDMI. All of a sudden when I switch the 606 to Game (PS3) my TV says NO SIGNAL FOUND. The cable box still shows perfectly. Some times if I leave the PS3 on for a while and switch back to the GAME, the video will begin to show, but that could take hours.

I've tried switching the PS3 to other HDMI ports and still no luck. The only one I have not tried is the first port that the cable box is in. It's so frustrating. I just got a brand new Klipsch SW-110 sub and I can't play a Blu Ray to test it out. Does my unit need repairing?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page