that looks like it will work..thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9452 of 9471 Old 01-13-2014, 07:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Iv'e had my 606 for about 5 years now without any problems but recently I started noticing a slight buzzing / humming sound when using my headphones with the receiver. You cannot hear it through the 5.1 speakers. I have only one audio source to the optical input coming from my computer. 

It does not get louder or quieter when adjusting the volume.

I have disconnected all sources and moved it around the house to different outlets with the same problem following. I have tried different headphones also and my normal ones don't make this noise in other devices. 

When I first turn on the unit it does not make the noise. Only when it starts playing sound from a source will the humming start and not go away till you power it off.

I took the cover off to see if there were any bad caps but I did not notice any that looked suspect.

Anyone else experience this issue?

post #9453 of 9471 Old 01-27-2014, 11:11 AM

Hi SR606 owners! My 606 still is running surprisingly even though I bough it as a refurb unit and rebadged as S7100. (knock on wood). Anyway, I just wanted to ask what speakers would be great to finally replace the Onkyo speakers it came with as an HTIB S7100 package. It's been more than 5 years so I'm guessing time to upgrade the speakers.

I saw one JBL CS6100BG at Amazon today priced at $280, are these any good? Or should I go for other brands Polk? Hopefully in the same or lower price range. Thanks in advance!
post #9454 of 9471 Old 01-27-2014, 11:52 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexb610 View Post

Hi SR606 owners! My 606 still is running surprisingly even though I bough it as a refurb unit and rebadged as S7100. (knock on wood). Anyway, I just wanted to ask what speakers would be great to finally replace the Onkyo speakers it came with as an HTIB S7100 package. It's been more than 5 years so I'm guessing time to upgrade the speakers.

I saw one JBL CS6100BG at Amazon today priced at $280, are these any good? Or should I go for other brands Polk? Hopefully in the same or lower price range. Thanks in advance!

The monoprice premium 5.1 system is amazing and cheaper.
post #9455 of 9471 Old 01-27-2014, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makaveli6103 View Post

The monoprice premium 5.1 system is amazing and cheaper.

Cool, thanks looking at it now. I saw the back of the subwoofer, how do i connect my 606 to this, I know my current set-up now only has one cable coming out of the "subwoofer pre out". The monoprice sub shows left and right in? Sorry for the noob question, I'm still researching these speakers stuff. Will this speaker sound a lot better than the Onkyo speakers it came with my S7100 HTIB?

back of Monoprice premium sub

from Onkyo S7100 manual on subwoofer connection.
post #9456 of 9471 Old 01-31-2014, 07:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexb610 View Post

I saw the back of the subwoofer, how do i connect my 606 to this, I know my current set-up now only has one cable coming out of the "subwoofer pre out". The monoprice sub shows left and right in?
In case you haven't figured it out yet. . .
It should plug into the jack labeled Left/Sub In/Line In (the white one).

-Greg
post #9457 of 9471 Old 01-31-2014, 05:46 PM

Cool, got it. Thanks.
post #9458 of 9471 Old 02-01-2014, 06:08 PM

Quick question that probably has a simple answer that somehow escapes me.

I hooked up an old Wii via component cables to the 606 and cannot get audio. Wii is hooked up to "Component 2" and the audio cables are hooked up to "Game/TV" per the manual. I get video, but no audio through the speakers with "Game/TV" selected on the receiver. I am also using all the HDMI slots and have an Apple TV assigned to "Game/TV" via HDMI. I'm wondering if it's possible to run audio from the cables when playing the Wii? Is what I'm trying to do not possible since I have two things assigned to "Game/TV?"
post #9459 of 9471 Old 02-02-2014, 09:31 AM

I purchased my 606 from Circuit City right before they closed in 2008, so I guess I can't complain too much about the life I've gotten out of it. I don't really watch too much TV anymore except on weekends, so I think that's why it's lasted so long, combined with the fact that it sits on a shelf with a lot of open space around it.

But it is now presenting two symptoms. The first being there is no video signal getting to the TV thru the 606 HDMI output when turning the unit on from cold. This is regardless of input source (DVR via component, Roku & Chromecast via HDMI). Just as suggested by Roy on the IT Crowd, turning the 606 off and back on again does 'fix' it. Until I turn it off and back on again. A couple of times, I left it on to see if the video would eventually appear, but the only thing that happens is that the TV turns itself off due to no signal after about ten minutes or so. Turning the TV back on once just gave a No Signal message.

I did a reset of the unit once, but the only thing that did was force me to redo the acoustic setup. I also lost the preset volume setting so it just returns to the last setting on subsequent power up. I'm assuming this is just an option I need to enable rather than another symptom.

The second symptom I've noticed over the last month or so is whenever the source audio profile changes (such as when changing TV channels with one being just stereo and the other being Dolby, etc), there is a noticeable clicking as the receiver changes sound settings to match. I don't think it used to do this - at least not so loudly - but maybe I'm just more aware of it with the presence of the video issue.

I do need to mention here that I've had zero problems with audio output regardless of source. The audio is always present when the unit turns on. My problem is video only (aside from the clicking of the unit itself). Also, the video never screws up or drops out when operating. This is solely a start-up problem.

I've ordered some 4v 100μf 105 C Panasonic SMT caps from Mouser just to have on hand if the video problem gets worse. I think I can do the cap replacement as shown on the couple of demos on YouTube. As an aside, I hope we all realize how much poorer we would be (in every sense of that word) if we no longer had a truly open Internet. It's worth fighting corporations and their hired public officials to keep and keep open, IMHO.

If the turn-on issue gets worse, I'll probably go ahead with the cap fix, but I would like to First Do No Harm (make things worse). Mainly I'm posting to get a consensus if the problem(s) I've described can be definitively tied to failing caps on the HDMI board.

Thanks.
post #9460 of 9471 Old 02-26-2014, 08:48 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatsNotPudding View Post

I purchased my 606 from Circuit City right before they closed in 2008, so I guess I can't complain too much about the life I've gotten out of it. I don't really watch too much TV anymore except on weekends, so I think that's why it's lasted so long, combined with the fact that it sits on a shelf with a lot of open space around it.

But it is now presenting two symptoms. The first being there is no video signal getting to the TV thru the 606 HDMI output when turning the unit on from cold. This is regardless of input source (DVR via component, Roku & Chromecast via HDMI). Just as suggested by Roy on the IT Crowd, turning the 606 off and back on again does 'fix' it. Until I turn it off and back on again. A couple of times, I left it on to see if the video would eventually appear, but the only thing that happens is that the TV turns itself off due to no signal after about ten minutes or so. Turning the TV back on once just gave a No Signal message.

I did a reset of the unit once, but the only thing that did was force me to redo the acoustic setup. I also lost the preset volume setting so it just returns to the last setting on subsequent power up. I'm assuming this is just an option I need to enable rather than another symptom.

The second symptom I've noticed over the last month or so is whenever the source audio profile changes (such as when changing TV channels with one being just stereo and the other being Dolby, etc), there is a noticeable clicking as the receiver changes sound settings to match. I don't think it used to do this - at least not so loudly - but maybe I'm just more aware of it with the presence of the video issue.

I do need to mention here that I've had zero problems with audio output regardless of source. The audio is always present when the unit turns on. My problem is video only (aside from the clicking of the unit itself). Also, the video never screws up or drops out when operating. This is solely a start-up problem.

I've ordered some 4v 100μf 105 C Panasonic SMT caps from Mouser just to have on hand if the video problem gets worse. I think I can do the cap replacement as shown on the couple of demos on YouTube. As an aside, I hope we all realize how much poorer we would be (in every sense of that word) if we no longer had a truly open Internet. It's worth fighting corporations and their hired public officials to keep and keep open, IMHO.

If the turn-on issue gets worse, I'll probably go ahead with the cap fix, but I would like to First Do No Harm (make things worse). Mainly I'm posting to get a consensus if the problem(s) I've described can be definitively tied to failing caps on the HDMI board.

Thanks.
Did you end up doing caps?
post #9461 of 9471 Old 02-27-2014, 05:12 PM

Not yet. I have everything I need on-hand now, but wow these caps are small (~.25" cubes) - unless I got the wrong ones. I haven't taken the unit apart yet.
post #9462 of 9471 Old 03-25-2014, 08:04 AM
Advanced Member

Does anyone know if there is a Firmware update for this unit, and where one can find it? I can't seem to find it on the onkyo site.
post #9463 of 9471 Old 05-15-2014, 06:24 AM

Onkyo Protection Mode. I tried switching the caps on the HDMI board and everything worked fine. System was back working for 5 hrs. Then blew the 125V fuse and went into protect mode. Now its stuck in protect mode. As soon as I add a fuse it blows. Ive taken the reciever apart and I'm testing the Mosfets on the Amplifyer. Not sure how to read if they have failed. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

post #9464 of 9471 Old 07-18-2014, 03:45 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hey guys,

My SR606 that I've used for almost 5 years just recently broke, I think.

Basically when plugged in it wont turn on. It shows no light on the front indicating that it's even plugged in. Should I just upgrade or is there anything I can do to bring it back to life?
post #9465 of 9471 Old 07-19-2014, 11:32 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoodge View Post
Hey guys,

My SR606 that I've used for almost 5 years just recently broke, I think.

Basically when plugged in it wont turn on. It shows no light on the front indicating that it's even plugged in. Should I just upgrade or is there anything I can do to bring it back to life?
Upgrade, man. Go for it.

Upgraditis Anonymous
post #9466 of 9471 Old 08-11-2014, 11:12 AM

Hi everyone! Been a while since I've been here.

Strange thing. I use my Onkyo for my computer system's sound needs. I run 5 speakers and a powered sub. It "was" fantastic. Then out of the blue, I'm getting no sound from the speakers. Everything appears to be OK, but I can't even get sound when plugging in my headphones. I've tried using my MP3 player hooked up via the Auxiliary, Tape, and CD plugs but still nothing. Any idea's on what might be going on?

Thanks!
post #9467 of 9471 Old 08-13-2014, 08:55 AM

Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpinard View Post
Hi everyone! Been a while since I've been here.

Strange thing. I use my Onkyo for my computer system's sound needs. I run 5 speakers and a powered sub. It "was" fantastic. Then out of the blue, I'm getting no sound from the speakers. Everything appears to be OK, but I can't even get sound when plugging in my headphones. I've tried using my MP3 player hooked up via the Auxiliary, Tape, and CD plugs but still nothing. Any idea's on what might be going on?

Thanks!

I've got the same problem. Everything looks fine but no sound from anything and I also tried several different input sources.
post #9468 of 9471 Old 08-23-2014, 08:50 AM
Advanced Member

Anyone know where any legacy FW updates for this machine can be found? The onkyo site seems to just show about the last two years of receivers. Can't seem to find the legacy receiver area.
post #9469 of 9471 Old 09-01-2014, 07:09 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by tivoboy View Post
Anyone know where any legacy FW updates for this machine can be found? The onkyo site seems to just show about the last two years of receivers. Can't seem to find the legacy receiver area.
The 606 has no network connection or USB port and is, therefore, not user firmware upgrade-able.

Upgraditis Anonymous
post #9470 of 9471 Old 09-01-2014, 08:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by nlpearman View Post
The 606 has no network connection or USB port and is, therefore, not user firmware upgrade-able.
My Yamaha receiver (the one I bought after my SR606 burn itself up) is upgradeable and it doesn't have a USB or network port.

It's really clever. You burn a CD from their website and play it through the optical SP/DIF. The receiver recognizes the stream as a firmware update. The last update added several features that owners had requested.

NOW: my post on AVS Forum.
NEXT: someone else's post on AVS Forum.
post #9471 of 9471 Old 09-11-2014, 04:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Setup Display Problem

I've read about how the Setup menu stops appearing through the HDMI monitor output because of a bad part problem. Is this also true of the s-video and composite video outs? I recently came across a small LCD TV panel that would take a 480i video signal. However, when I connect it to my Composite monitor out port I get nothing. No setup menu, no video like my Directv signal.

Am I missing any special setup tricks that need to be done to output my Directv picture? At least that should work. Will the receiver down convert my native output from the sat receiver from 1080 or 720 to 480i? Or do I have to go in and change the sat output to 480i for the composite output to work?

Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.

Jack
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page