1Likes

post #9481 of 9489 Old 10-28-2014, 06:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsloud View Post
I assume you are talking about the 5 on the HDMI daughter card?
There are more than 5. I assume that you're referring to the YouTube video. The information presented there is just enough to be dangerous. For example (although it's been a long time since I watched it), there are NO cautions or discussions regarding ESD. So, many Onkyo owners go ahead and remove their HDMI card and thoroughly ZAP it with ESD. Game over. They will need a new card. If you're someone who was successful without taking ESD precautions, you just plain lucked out (or you live in an area of high humidity, not an arid area where you get shocked every time you exit your car).

Replacing the 5 caps is a good start, but there are others that sometimes go bad and cause problems. And we're only talking about the 100uF caps. What about the others?

I talked about an ESR meter. This is where such a simple piece of equipment comes in handy. It will tell you exactly which caps are bad and not limit your focus to just 5.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9482 of 9489 Old 10-29-2014, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBacksFan5205 View Post
There are more than 5. I assume that you're referring to the YouTube video. The information presented there is just enough to be dangerous. For example (although it's been a long time since I watched it), there are NO cautions or discussions regarding ESD. So, many Onkyo owners go ahead and remove their HDMI card and thoroughly ZAP it with ESD. Game over. They will need a new card. If you're someone who was successful without taking ESD precautions, you just plain lucked out (or you live in an area of high humidity, not an arid area where you get shocked every time you exit your car).

Replacing the 5 caps is a good start, but there are others that sometimes go bad and cause problems. And we're only talking about the 100uF caps. What about the others?

I talked about an ESR meter. This is where such a simple piece of equipment comes in handy. It will tell you exactly which caps are bad and not limit your focus to just 5.
So all the caps inside the receiver. I googled a bit yesterday and only saw mention of the ones on the daughter card.
post #9483 of 9489 Old 10-29-2014, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsloud View Post
So all the caps inside the receiver. I googled a bit yesterday and only saw mention of the ones on the daughter card.
No, not all the caps inside the receiver. I was referring only to those on the top and bottom of the HDMI card.
post #9484 of 9489 Old 10-29-2014, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBacksFan5205 View Post
No, not all the caps inside the receiver. I was referring only to those on the top and bottom of the HDMI card.
Thank you for clarifying. Onkyo already fixed this card for the HDMI issue, so I may just start with the one you mentioned and test. Then go from there if needed.
post #9485 of 9489 Old 11-18-2014, 08:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Greetings all,

I have had the same HDMI issue I've seen many others having. I already have the capacitors and will be attempting the repair this weekend. Before I get in and do that, I have one other issue with my 606 that I haven't been able to find anyone else having. I've checked the manual and done plenty of searching but haven't found anything on it.

I get no sound out of the left front channel speaker. I've swapped other speaker wires for it and always the same result. Whatever is hooked up to front left has no sound. I've hooked the front left speaker to center channel and do get sound. So, I know the speaker and wire are good. I've tried resetting and nothing has changed. I've tried multiple inputs, and even Audyssey, and still nothing.

Does anyone have any ideas on what may cause one channel to go out? Figured I'd try to find out and order any additional components to do this all at once.

Thanks for your advice!
Doug
post #9486 of 9489 Old 11-18-2014, 09:08 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Just found this thread. Started this thread last week:

Tech Help: Receiver can't see blu-ray player

Is this a "new" 606 issue?
post #9487 of 9489 Old 11-18-2014, 09:44 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dugsdman View Post
Does anyone have any ideas on what may cause one channel to go out? Figured I'd try to find out and order any additional components to do this all at once.

It seems that you might have a bad connection in the audio board, or a BI-AMP relay that is bad.

Most likely is that there is a bad cap or power transistor.
The good news is that you can compare with the other channel on the amp board.

Each channel is well marked on the board and by comparing the components on the bad channel,. you should locate the problem fast.
dugsdman likes this.
post #9488 of 9489 Old 11-19-2014, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper_X View Post
Each channel is well marked on the board and by comparing the components on the bad channel,. you should locate the problem fast.
Thanks! I'll go ahead and try the fix this weekend and take a look while I'm in there.
post #9489 of 9489 Old 11-24-2014, 11:28 PM

Good news, I got the HDMI switching issue taken care. I took a quick look and didn't notice anything different with that one channel that isn't working though. I'll take another look after the holidays when things calm down a little bit...
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page