1Likes
post #9481 of 9497 Old 10-28-2014, 06:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsloud View Post
I assume you are talking about the 5 on the HDMI daughter card?
There are more than 5. I assume that you're referring to the YouTube video. The information presented there is just enough to be dangerous. For example (although it's been a long time since I watched it), there are NO cautions or discussions regarding ESD. So, many Onkyo owners go ahead and remove their HDMI card and thoroughly ZAP it with ESD. Game over. They will need a new card. If you're someone who was successful without taking ESD precautions, you just plain lucked out (or you live in an area of high humidity, not an arid area where you get shocked every time you exit your car).

Replacing the 5 caps is a good start, but there are others that sometimes go bad and cause problems. And we're only talking about the 100uF caps. What about the others?

I talked about an ESR meter. This is where such a simple piece of equipment comes in handy. It will tell you exactly which caps are bad and not limit your focus to just 5.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9482 of 9497 Old 10-29-2014, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBacksFan5205 View Post
There are more than 5. I assume that you're referring to the YouTube video. The information presented there is just enough to be dangerous. For example (although it's been a long time since I watched it), there are NO cautions or discussions regarding ESD. So, many Onkyo owners go ahead and remove their HDMI card and thoroughly ZAP it with ESD. Game over. They will need a new card. If you're someone who was successful without taking ESD precautions, you just plain lucked out (or you live in an area of high humidity, not an arid area where you get shocked every time you exit your car).

Replacing the 5 caps is a good start, but there are others that sometimes go bad and cause problems. And we're only talking about the 100uF caps. What about the others?

I talked about an ESR meter. This is where such a simple piece of equipment comes in handy. It will tell you exactly which caps are bad and not limit your focus to just 5.
So all the caps inside the receiver. I googled a bit yesterday and only saw mention of the ones on the daughter card.
post #9483 of 9497 Old 10-29-2014, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsloud View Post
So all the caps inside the receiver. I googled a bit yesterday and only saw mention of the ones on the daughter card.
No, not all the caps inside the receiver. I was referring only to those on the top and bottom of the HDMI card.
post #9484 of 9497 Old 10-29-2014, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBacksFan5205 View Post
No, not all the caps inside the receiver. I was referring only to those on the top and bottom of the HDMI card.
Thank you for clarifying. Onkyo already fixed this card for the HDMI issue, so I may just start with the one you mentioned and test. Then go from there if needed.
post #9485 of 9497 Old 11-18-2014, 08:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Greetings all,

I have had the same HDMI issue I've seen many others having. I already have the capacitors and will be attempting the repair this weekend. Before I get in and do that, I have one other issue with my 606 that I haven't been able to find anyone else having. I've checked the manual and done plenty of searching but haven't found anything on it.

I get no sound out of the left front channel speaker. I've swapped other speaker wires for it and always the same result. Whatever is hooked up to front left has no sound. I've hooked the front left speaker to center channel and do get sound. So, I know the speaker and wire are good. I've tried resetting and nothing has changed. I've tried multiple inputs, and even Audyssey, and still nothing.

Does anyone have any ideas on what may cause one channel to go out? Figured I'd try to find out and order any additional components to do this all at once.

Thanks for your advice!
Doug
post #9486 of 9497 Old 11-18-2014, 09:08 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Just found this thread. Started this thread last week:

Tech Help: Receiver can't see blu-ray player

Is this a "new" 606 issue?
post #9487 of 9497 Old 11-18-2014, 09:44 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dugsdman View Post
Does anyone have any ideas on what may cause one channel to go out? Figured I'd try to find out and order any additional components to do this all at once.

It seems that you might have a bad connection in the audio board, or a BI-AMP relay that is bad.

Most likely is that there is a bad cap or power transistor.
The good news is that you can compare with the other channel on the amp board.

Each channel is well marked on the board and by comparing the components on the bad channel,. you should locate the problem fast.
dugsdman likes this.
post #9488 of 9497 Old 11-19-2014, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper_X View Post
Each channel is well marked on the board and by comparing the components on the bad channel,. you should locate the problem fast.
Thanks! I'll go ahead and try the fix this weekend and take a look while I'm in there.
post #9489 of 9497 Old 11-24-2014, 11:28 PM

Good news, I got the HDMI switching issue taken care. I took a quick look and didn't notice anything different with that one channel that isn't working though. I'll take another look after the holidays when things calm down a little bit...
post #9490 of 9497 Old 12-01-2014, 08:21 PM

TX-SR606 hookup to samsung smart tv 65"

Hi all. Been struggling to set up my new Samsung smart tv with my 606. Know I need to use the ARC output from the TV to one of the HDMI ports but cant get the audio working. Any help would be much appreciated.
As a side note, I see many have had issues with this unit (as have I). Is onkyo still warranting these issues on this receiver?

Thanks in advance
post #9491 of 9497 Old 12-03-2014, 12:59 PM

Following up on my own post. I finally spoke with a knowledgeable Onkyo tech...turns out...according to Onkyo....there is no alternative but to connect the 606 via optical. The HDMI ARC is not for sending TV audio back to the AV receiver...at least not this receiver.

Also, on the warranty issue, apparently my unit (purchased in 2009) does not have the faulty board. Have to say that I am still stumped as to why my unit has consistently had issues in finding the HDMI input signal. I have to turn it on and off repeatedly to get it to recognize the signal. With the new TV it has not had this issue so I am hoping that it is now moot.

Don
post #9492 of 9497 Old 12-03-2014, 05:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Is there a test tone generator on this receiver? I could not find one.

Jack
post #9493 of 9497 Unread Yesterday, 10:08 AM

You have the 606 and they told you your unit isn't affected ? Lol.

Go to onkyousa dot com there is a link for Special Warranty service which I know for a fact is covering the x09 series at the moment. Fill out the online form. You may get lucky.
post #9494 of 9497 Unread Today, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcuomo View Post
Following up on my own post. I finally spoke with a knowledgeable Onkyo tech...turns out...according to Onkyo....there is no alternative but to connect the 606 via optical. The HDMI ARC is not for sending TV audio back to the AV receiver...at least not this receiver.

Also, on the warranty issue, apparently my unit (purchased in 2009) does not have the faulty board. Have to say that I am still stumped as to why my unit has consistently had issues in finding the HDMI input signal. I have to turn it on and off repeatedly to get it to recognize the signal. With the new TV it has not had this issue so I am hoping that it is now moot.

Don
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMartell View Post
You have the 606 and they told you your unit isn't affected ? Lol.

Go to onkyousa dot com there is a link for Special Warranty service which I know for a fact is covering the x09 series at the moment. Fill out the online form. You may get lucky.
Long time no post in this thread for me.

Onkyo is not covering the x06 units, made in 2008, or anything older, for the official warranty extension. Just 2009 models and newer.

My last working 606 just died HDMI-wise (takes component in just fine, and outputs it fine over HDMI, just won't process HDMI inputs), so I'm in the market for a non-Onkyo AVR that has the same overall feature set at the 606. I don't need Dolby Atmos or 9.1 or networking, just a solid 5.1 or 7.1 with second powered zone, 4 or more HMDI inputs, and HDMI upconversion from Component. At this stage, assuming HDMI inputs work, I don't even need analog multi-channel inputs. Anything obvious that I should be checking out? Yamaha's latest?

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my captors.
post #9495 of 9497 Unread Today, 12:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinksma View Post
Long time no post in this thread for me.

Onkyo is not covering the x06 units, made in 2008, or anything older, for the official warranty extension. Just 2009 models and newer.

My last working 606 just died HDMI-wise (takes component in just fine, and outputs it fine over HDMI, just won't process HDMI inputs), so I'm in the market for a non-Onkyo AVR that has the same overall feature set at the 606. I don't need Dolby Atmos or 9.1 or networking, just a solid 5.1 or 7.1 with second powered zone, 4 or more HMDI inputs, and HDMI upconversion from Component. At this stage, assuming HDMI inputs work, I don't even need analog multi-channel inputs. Anything obvious that I should be checking out? Yamaha's latest?
I forget and can't seem to find the old information on when my 606 was made/purchased does anyone have a link to the special warranty service form to fill out just started to have the HDMI issues Edit just found it, it doesn't cover the 606 at all.

Other than not knowing when mine was made the same for me almost...I need the analog multi-channel inputs because the main thing the receiver/TV is used for is PC to computer and HDMI for PC only does 2.0 for the most part. The HDMI in still works sort of it will work if I change the resolution to something lower than 1080p on the PC at least but other components like PS3 will not work at all so have to be directly fed to the TV and then TV to receiver via optical which is only passing 2.0 audio so really no need to have the 5.1 receiver at that point.

Last edited by Carsfanatic; Today at 12:51 PM.
post #9496 of 9497 Unread Today, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carsfanatic View Post
Other than not knowing when mine was made the same for me almost...I need the analog multi-channel inputs because the main thing the receiver/TV is used for is PC to computer and HDMI for PC only does 2.0 for the most part. The HDMI in still works sort of it will work if I change the resolution to something lower than 1080p on the PC at least but other components like PS3 will not work at all so have to be directly fed to the TV and then TV to receiver via optical which is only passing 2.0 audio so really no need to have the 5.1 receiver at that point.
Hi Carsfanatic, 8th and 9th digits on back of receiver serial number should indicate when it was made.

For audio on the PS3, connect optical cable directly from PS3 to receiver and go into PS3 Sound Settings to output via optical.
post #9497 of 9497 Unread Today, 01:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post
Hi Carsfanatic, 8th and 9th digits on back of receiver serial number should indicate when it was made.

For audio on the PS3, connect optical cable directly from PS3 to receiver and go into PS3 Sound Settings to output via optical.
Not really a solution go from 7.1 to 5.1 and have to manually switch HDMI on the TV because it only has one working HDMI input. I been using a HDMI switch that has dual outputs to at least give me 7.1 sound still and get video to the TV still have to manually switch the HDMI to the TV to take out the HDMI from the 606 to the TV to the PS3. Actually been thinking about it today I should get component cables for the PS3 and do that out to TV for video and then should still be able to do sound through HDMI to the 606 would make it so it is a simple video switch on the TV to have 7.1 audio and working video.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page