The Onkyo TX-SR606 Owners Thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 9470 Old 05-09-2008, 12:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
$457 on Amazon w/ free shipping w/ Super Saver Shipping.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 9470 Old 05-09-2008, 12:49 PM

Liked: 11
Any opinions on the Audyssey Dynamic feature??? At both low and high volumes?
post #93 of 9470 Old 05-09-2008, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wes k View Post

Any opinions on the Audyssey Dynamic feature??? At both low and high volumes?

I've been using it and it's enjoyable at high and low levels so far. I'll probably know for sure when my wife is passed out on the couch tonight and I'm trying to watch The Descent.

360 & PSN Gamertag - R1NLP
post #94 of 9470 Old 05-09-2008, 01:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maley View Post

$457 on Amazon w/ free shipping w/ Super Saver Shipping.

Just ordered it at that price this morning

It was showing as in stock so hopefully it ships early next week.
post #95 of 9470 Old 05-09-2008, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1NLP View Post

I figured I would go ahead and start this since my 606 was delivered yesterday.

It's been great so far. I've done a bit of testing with a few HD DVDs (Bourne Ultimatum, Pan's Labyrinth, & The Matrix Reloaded) and my Xbox 360 (GTA IV). Even my crappy speakers sound great. I can't wait to get home so I can put it through its paces a little more!

Here's what I'm running.

Display

-Sony KDS-60A3000

Speakers

-I'm running 7.1 with my Onkyo HTIB speakers (These will be next in line for an upgrade)

Inputs

-Toshiba HD-A2 (HDMI)
-Xbox 360 (HDMI)
-PS3 (HDMI)
-Scientific Atlanta 8300 HD DVR (HDMI)
-Nintendo Wii (Component)

I'll be happy to answer questions, but I can't guarantee a speedy response as I work a lot.

Hi R1NLP,
I just joined in this forum and know little in this area. After reading lots of great post, i have purchased this receiver from Video Only and cost was much cheaper than CC. I have question for you.
--I would like to connect my Panasonic DVD player (it was actually compact home theater) to this receiver (606) using component (DVD player does not have either optical or HDMI)
--Receiver to Sony 46XBR4 using HDMI
--Wii directly to TV.
Are these connections right or any other better way i can connect these equipments.
Thanks for your reply,
POR08
post #96 of 9470 Old 05-09-2008, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by POR08 View Post

Hi R1NLP,
I just joined in this forum and know little in this area. After reading lots of great post, i have purchased this receiver from Video Only and cost was much cheaper than CC. I have question for you.
--I would like to connect my Panasonic DVD player (it was actually compact home theater) to this receiver (606) using component (DVD player does not have either optical or HDMI)
--Receiver to Sony 46XBR4 using HDMI
--Wii directly to TV.
Are these connections right or any other better way i can connect these equipments.
Thanks for your reply,
POR08

That would be fine, but why not put the Wii through the receiver too? Don't want all that MarioKart at full volume?

Component is indeed the best video connection method if you do not have HDMI for your DVD.

Does your "DVD player" have multichannel outputs? How are you going to get audio from DVD to receiver? Is there a coax output?

shinksma

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my captors.
post #97 of 9470 Old 05-09-2008, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinksma View Post

That would be fine, but why not put the Wii through the receiver too? Don't want all that MarioKart at full volume?

Component is indeed the best video connection method if you do not have HDMI for your DVD.

Does your "DVD player" have multichannel outputs? How are you going to get audio from DVD to receiver? Is there a coax output?

shinksma

Hi Shinksma,
Thanks for your reply.
My Panasonic DVD player has only Component output. I bought component video/audio cable (RCA5) and want to connect from DVD to Onkyo 606 receiver. I don't know what is the best way to connect Wii to receiver. I am connecting Boston Acoustic surround sound speakers to this receivers. DVD player does not have co-axial conncetion (it was actually Costco's Panasonic home theater and soon we will be buying Blu-ray player).
Thanks,
POR08
post #98 of 9470 Old 05-09-2008, 04:34 PM

Can anybody that owns a 606 comment on how hot it gets when its on for extended periods of time?

As i understood it the 605 got so hot it was almost untouchable at spots after only being on for an hour or two(standard movie/gaming length)...

I am interested in the 606 and Yamaha 663(still havent pulled the trigger on either yet) but the heat issue is a deal breaker for me on the 605's.

I read a thread somewhere on this forum from a Euro who had the new 606 and had a 605 and said the heat was not that much lower. But im interested in a bigger sample than that I mean supposedly some of the 605's were getting up to 110F or higher..
post #99 of 9470 Old 05-09-2008, 04:38 PM - Thread Starter

I checked the temp of the 606 after a couple of hours of tv. It didn't seem to be unusually hot. I didn't have a 605 so I can't comment on the difference.

post #100 of 9470 Old 05-09-2008, 05:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:

Hi Shinksma,
Thanks for your reply.
My Panasonic DVD player has only Component output. I bought component video/audio cable (RCA5) and want to connect from DVD to Onkyo 606 receiver. I don't know what is the best way to connect Wii to receiver. I am connecting Boston Acoustic surround sound speakers to this receivers. DVD player does not have co-axial conncetion (it was actually Costco's Panasonic home theater and soon we will be buying Blu-ray player).
Thanks,
POR08

OK, so your DVD player outputs component video and 2 channel analog audio (i.e. what is mis-termed "5 RCA component").

You will definitely want to upgrade that ASAP, since you are missing out on all those surround tracks (unless you use a ProLogic-type "synthesizer"/decoder, I guess).

Connecting your Wii to the receiver will allow you to control the volume through the receiver just like everything else, rather than having to use the TV's remote. Ideally, you would never need the TV remote, except to turn on the TV (and a Harmony remote works well for those tasks).

But you won't see any real difference in picture or audio quality either way. It's just convenience, really.

shinksma

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my captors.
post #101 of 9470 Old 05-09-2008, 06:33 PM

I was wondering what listening modes everyone uses, or what they think is best. I have tried them all and tend to lean toward mulitchannel. Let me know what you think, thanks.

PSN: amays32
post #102 of 9470 Old 05-09-2008, 06:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Does the 606 pass BTB and WTW unlike the yamahas?
post #103 of 9470 Old 05-09-2008, 08:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amays32 View Post

I was wondering what listening modes everyone uses, or what they think is best. I have tried them all and tend to lean toward mulitchannel. Let me know what you think, thanks.

I would agree.

post #104 of 9470 Old 05-09-2008, 09:29 PM

I bought my 606 tonight at Circuit City and they honored the 10% web coupon in store. The sale associate didn't even know they had them in stock as they did not have one setup for display yet.

This is my first Onkyo receiver, but I like it so far. Everything seems to be fairly easy to follow and I am sure I will learn more the more I play around with it.
post #105 of 9470 Old 05-09-2008, 09:31 PM

I did it. I went to my Circuit City and bought it.

Sounds Great! I have had an Onkyo 5.1 receiver hooked up to my 7 speakers, just doubling up on the load for rear channels. I hooked this up and went through the auto speaker setup I sounds great.

I've got an HP HTPC Digital Entertainment System hooked up to it with HDMI cable and that works great. I get audio and video fine through it.

The receiver is sending the video out to my Panasonic PT-AE900u 720pHD projector through the HDMI cable

(UPDATE: I switched the DVD player to output progressive 480p and it looks like it fixed it. When on 480i it creates the problem)
.. I have a progressive scan ClearPlay DVD player that is connected by component video cables to the receiver. The audio is connected with a coax digital cable. The receiver then sends the signal out to my projector across the HDMI output. So here in is the problem. It looks bad! I have tried all diferent output resolutions and it looks considerable worse than the component video out connected to the projector. And then..... after about 15 minutes the picture gets dark and goes to black on the HDMI feed to my projector. (Note: I also connected the component out fom the receiver and to the projector and this looks fine) I can hit volume and the volume display comes up fine and clear. If I go to the receivers setup menu and then exit it the picture will come back.

Also, this component input being output via HDMI results in an off center image and a i_i-i_i-i_i-i_ castle tooth patern along the top edge of very dark black to slightly gray black. The far left side also has a light band down it.

On my second Component video input I have a samsung HD off the air tuner hooked up. This seems to work much better. It is set to output 720p from the HD Tuner. The HDMI from the receiver for this input does not drop the video or have any of the video problems.

I really wanted to eliminate the component video cables running to my projector and the need to change projector inputs.

Any one else tried a similar setup? Maybe it is just a problem with progressive scan dvd players hooked up to it? Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Mike
Pearland, TX
post #106 of 9470 Old 05-09-2008, 09:39 PM

Did you try to set the HDMI out to pass through to see if it made any difference?
post #107 of 9470 Old 05-09-2008, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DillnutMcGee View Post

Did you try to set the HDMI out to pass through to see if it made any difference?

Yes same problem. Starts out with little distortion at top then turns into square blocks (see photo below), Then blocks get taller and finally screen goes black. About 30 mins this last time.

This is happening with the DVD "Hit Man". I just changed DVDs to "Sahara" and it is happening but with out the squares at the top. This time the image shifted to the bottom of the screen then finally went black around 20-30 minutes.

This is with the Setup menu 7. Hardware Setup- 5. HDMI Output resolution set to Through

I just checked my DVD player and it was not set to output progressive scan. I just changed that and will give it another try.

Ok my projector sees a 480p signal so I will have to watch and see. (UPDATE 480p from DVD so far so good! 12:45am)
Mike

It Looks like the 480p output from the dvd player has fixed the problem. Maybe the receiver just doesn't like 480i from a component?
post #108 of 9470 Old 05-09-2008, 11:06 PM

It's been a while since I've posted, but I went to JR today and got the 606.

Equipments used- Panny TH42PZ700U, Sony PS3, scientific atlanta set top, Ascend 340se's.

First impressions:

Bit on the light side compare to my yamaha rx-v 2400
Sounds clean but may go with an external amp in the future
Made the picture look better on my Panny plasma (700series)

Mark
post #109 of 9470 Old 05-10-2008, 01:25 AM

I gotta say keep the impressions coming after you get some more time with it!

I can get both this and the Yamaha 663 for pretty much the same discounted price through friends...I got a few weeks before my speakers come when i gotta make the decision
post #110 of 9470 Old 05-10-2008, 03:11 AM
FFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael F. View Post

It Looks like the 480p output from the dvd player has fixed the problem. Maybe the receiver just doesn't like 480i from a component?

Argh, it sucks big times if that's the case! I considering this AV receiver with a BD30, and as the Panny is quite poor at deinterlacing, I wanted to ouput 480i through component to the Onkyo, then see how it would upscale it to 1080p, or let the videoprojecteur do the job... Two others solutions that should be better than the Panny.

So I'm really curious to see if you fix this problem... It could come from your player too maybe? Did you try with another player?
post #111 of 9470 Old 05-10-2008, 03:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenic0 View Post

I gotta say keep the impressions coming after you get some more time with it!

I can get both this and the Yamaha 663 for pretty much the same discounted price through friends...I got a few weeks before my speakers come when i gotta make the decision

+1...especially if someone could try :

* BTB and WTW compatibility
* support of 24p mode if the source is not forcing it (known Yamaha bug)
post #112 of 9470 Old 05-10-2008, 04:48 AM

Where does everyone plug in their subs? Mine is plugged into my HK 330 and it controls the power to the sub. In the picture I saw of the back, I didn't see an AC input. Anyone experience any lag running their 360 or PS3 thru it? I am thinking of going to CC in a couple hours when they open and picking one up.
post #113 of 9470 Old 05-10-2008, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by makry View Post

It's been a while since I've posted, but I went to JR today and got the 606.

Equipments used- Panny TH42PZ700U, Sony PS3, scientific atlanta set top, Ascend 340se's.

First impressions:

Bit on the light side compare to my yamaha rx-v 2400
Sounds clean but may go with an external amp in the future
Made the picture look better on my Panny plasma (700series)

Mark

hi mark
just wanna know if you feel the 606 is underpowered for your needs?and secondly how you gonna hook up an external amp since the 606 doesnt have any pre-outs?
thanks in advance
post #114 of 9470 Old 05-10-2008, 07:19 AM

Not seeing anyone comment on the differences in the two AVR's. I think the 606 has more HDMI inputs than the 605 but are there other big differences?

Also, is there an Onkyo AVR that has TWO HDMI outputs that are both active at the same time? I could use this function to send A/V to a 2nd TV in a game room right below the Family Room where the AVR would sit. If I could send SAT or DVD signals to another TV then that would be usefull.
post #115 of 9470 Old 05-10-2008, 08:38 AM

Hi Shinksma,
Thanks. I will be buying DVD player since my old DVD player did not work for audio.
I think i did a mistake connecting my Boston Acoustic speakers to my Onkyo606 receivers. It could ne able to detect my speakers. I have 4 speakers connected in my home (wall mount) and i have connected through Surround left, right, back left and back right speakers. I was unable to any sound through receivers. Could you please help me? Family wanted to see how the new receiver is woking, but i was failed to that.
Thanks,
POR08
post #116 of 9470 Old 05-10-2008, 09:10 AM

what does the osd look like on the 606?is it fancy?
thanks in advance.
post #117 of 9470 Old 05-10-2008, 09:13 AM

Hi Folks,
I need some help for connecting my Boston Acoustic speakers (wall mount) through this receiver. I have conncted Surround left, right, back left and back right connected to this Onkyo 606 receivers. My receiver could not able to detect speakers. It always shows speaker detection error. I know little about audio/video. Could anyone tell me how do i connect my speakers to this receivers?
Thanks,
POR08
post #118 of 9470 Old 05-10-2008, 09:15 AM

Well I just returned from CC with my 606. I have been up all night so I may take a nap and try and hook it up later before the hockey game. I went and listened to it in the store, then got on one of their computers and ordered it for in-store delivery, that way I was guaranteed to get the 10% off coupon. I had to pay tax but I got it today. Plus if I don't like it, it is easier to return in person than thru the mail.
post #119 of 9470 Old 05-10-2008, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

We need info on this receiver guys. Not when and where you bought it lol.
post #120 of 9470 Old 05-10-2008, 09:18 AM

Quote:

Hi Folks,
I need some help for connecting my Boston Acoustic speakers (wall mount) through this receiver. I have conncted Surround left, right, back left and back right connected to this Onkyo 606 receivers. My receiver could not able to detect speakers. It always shows speaker detection error. I know little about audio/video. Could anyone tell me how do i connect my speakers to this receivers?
Thanks,
POR08

I just brought mine home so I don't know if this will help but do you have any fronts hooked up? Maybe the fronts are default speakers and the receiver has to have 2 fronts hooked up.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page