post #181 of 9489 Old 05-11-2008, 08:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bac View Post

For those of you with 606's and PS3s...

When watching a Blu-ray movie with Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD, do you actually see that displayed on the front of the receiver? I don't, so I'm wondering if the PS3 is automatically doing the decoding? A little baffled right now...

The PS3 may still be running Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD but the receiver will not display this. If it's running TrueHD, the receiver will show Dolby Digital. If its running DTS-HD, the receiver will simply display DTS. Its just the way the PS3 passes the signal. You can hit triangle and go to the sound menu during a movie to confirm the PS3 is outputting TrueHD or DTS...

Question for others...

I plan on running a TXSR606 in a media closet (about 20 ft away from TV) with all my other components (PS3, STB, DVD player). The TV will be installed in the corner on the wall above a fireplace and there is no room for components on the floor. I have to install in-wall speakers for sound but may hold off on that for a while. I can get a good deal on the receiver now and want to act it on quickly. Would I be able to use the switching/upconversion on the receiver and still use the TV speakers for sound?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 9489 Old 05-11-2008, 08:52 PM

Quote:

When watching a Blu-ray movie with Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD, do you actually see that displayed on the front of the receiver? I don't, so I'm wondering if the PS3 is automatically doing the decoding? A little baffled right now...

Doesnt the PS3 decode the HD Audio formats, and send it to the reciever as PCM?
post #183 of 9489 Old 05-11-2008, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTHD View Post

yup
post #184 of 9489 Old 05-11-2008, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waxings View Post

Will I lose any quality doing this?

technically speaking, it will look better. You can choose to pass it through untouched, or upconvert to 720p/1080i. It might look a little better, but I would expect it to look largely the same.
post #185 of 9489 Old 05-11-2008, 08:55 PM

No idea... was wondering that as well. I noticed that when running the Xbox 360 (using hdmi), my receiver just one time reported it as Dolby D.... every other time i turn on the 360, the 606 reports it as PLII and when i scroll thru the available selections on the 606 and Dolby D isnt available. I may just use the optical out on the 360 instead. Anyone else seen this using hdmi as audio for the xbox360 into the 606?
post #186 of 9489 Old 05-11-2008, 08:59 PM

Quote:

I was watching Tears of the Sun on my PS3 and the 606 showed it was receiving PCM.

Waxings, the 606 will only upconvert to 1080i but the 360 can do 1080p over component so I guess you can hook it up with pass thru. I have my 360 hooked to my tv since I like different settings than my cable.
post #187 of 9489 Old 05-11-2008, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slbynum View Post

No idea... was wondering that as well. I noticed that when running the Xbox 360 (using hdmi), my receiver just one time reported it as Dolby D.... every other time i turn on the 360, the 606 reports it as PLII and when i scroll thru the available selections on the 606 and Dolby D isnt available. I may just use the optical out on the 360 instead. Anyone else seen this using hdmi as audio for the xbox360 into the 606?

I thought that I read when the Elite first came out that a optical cable was still needed for audio. I guess I am wrong if you do get dd out of it. Did yours comes with the dongle for audio?
post #188 of 9489 Old 05-11-2008, 09:09 PM

Mine is not the elite but has the HDMI out on it ... i had to buy the hdmi cable though that has the optiacl jack on it that is designed for the 360 because my old receiver had trouble passing any audio from my 360 when using just the hdmi cable. I guess i will go ahead and use optical on it instead of using the audio from the hdmi. Just to recap... i do get surround audio with hdmi from the 360 but only once has the 360 reported it as Dolby D. All my other components like the blue ray player and the hd dvr report Dolby D with no problem.
post #189 of 9489 Old 05-11-2008, 09:16 PM

Hello all... I plan on running a TXSR606 in a media closet (about 20 ft away from TV) with all my other components (PS3, STB, DVD player). The TV will be installed in the corner on the wall above a fireplace and there is no room for components on the floor. I have to install in-wall speakers for sound but may hold off on that for a while. I can get a good deal on the receiver now and want to act it on quickly. Would I be able to use the switching/upconversion on the receiver without running external speakers and use the TV speakers for sound?
post #190 of 9489 Old 05-11-2008, 09:17 PM
bac

Quote:

That's what it looks like as you'll get the same readout on the receiver whether its Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD MA (I just tested both). PCM at 48kHz.

I assume there's no drop in quality with this happening, especially with DTS-HD MA? I'm wondering if there's a way to "turn off" decoding on the PS3 so the receiver can handle it.

Editor: TheHDRoom
http://www.thehdroom.com
post #191 of 9489 Old 05-11-2008, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travon802 View Post

Would I be able to use the switching/upconversion on the receiver without running external speakers and use the TV speakers for sound?

I guess it will depend on how your components are hooked up. If you are using HDMI connections, then you can simply allow the audio to pass through to the TV. You can do this through the set up menu. If you are using component/stereo cables, you will have run those out of the receiver to the tv as separate connection to get sound on the TV. This will kind of defeat the purpose of running one cable to the TV.
post #192 of 9489 Old 05-11-2008, 09:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Quote:

I have my PS3 set to output PCM instead of bitstream. At least with earlier versions of the PS3 firmware, if you had it set to bitstream and were playing a Dolby TrueHD track, it would output a "hidden" Dolby Digital track; the trick was to set it to PCM. When the 606 is receiving PCM, it doesn't know if it was originally from dts-hdma, dolby truehd, etc.

You can hit the "Display" button on the PS3 remote to see what audio format is being sent out.

Bazinga!

post #193 of 9489 Old 05-11-2008, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waxings View Post

Will I lose any quality doing this?

I found my progressive scan DVD player hooked up through the component inputs and output through the HDMI did loss quality. The titles and credits on movies had more jagged edges and not as smooth & crisp. I also output the Component from the receiver to my projector and would switch my panasonic projector between HDMI and Component inputs to compare.

This was disappointing for me. My projector does an awesome job of scaling video to it's 720p resolution. I would say much better than the receiver.

Mike
Pearland, TX
post #194 of 9489 Old 05-11-2008, 10:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
So I'm a new owner of the Onkyo 606. Got an acceptable deal from circuit city with a 10% off coupon. Pairing this with a Sammy BDP1500.

Let me say this is the first time I've heard DTS HD MA in all it's glory and it blew me away. I've done the audyssey setup.

PC audio real time encoded in DTS (via dts connecte) -> optical cable -> onkyo 606

The audio from my PC sounds a tad weak on the bass and a little too much treble when I'm playing my PC game.

PC video (1080p) only -> HDMI -> onkyo 606:
Looked pretty bad. As a matter of fact it wouldn't even stay there. It seemed like the edges were cut off and the picture appeared zoomed in. Made me wonder if it was trying to scale. According to the NVIDIA drivers it detected the HDMI connected to the 606 and I guess was sending either 1080i or something. Regardless, I ended up connecting the PC directed to the TV. Hopefully someone can figure this out.
post #195 of 9489 Old 05-12-2008, 02:35 AM

regarding Audyseey setup:
Where should my sub's volume and frequency be set at?
post #196 of 9489 Old 05-12-2008, 06:52 AM

Quote:

The PS3 may still be running Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD but the receiver will not display this. If it's running TrueHD, the receiver will show Dolby Digital. If its running DTS-HD, the receiver will simply display DTS. Its just the way the PS3 passes the signal. You can hit triangle and go to the sound menu during a movie to confirm the PS3 is outputting TrueHD or DTS...

Question for others...

I plan on running a TXSR606 in a media closet (about 20 ft away from TV) with all my other components (PS3, STB, DVD player). The TV will be installed in the corner on the wall above a fireplace and there is no room for components on the floor. I have to install in-wall speakers for sound but may hold off on that for a while. I can get a good deal on the receiver now and want to act it on quickly. Would I be able to use the switching/upconversion on the receiver and still use the TV speakers for sound?

That's not true at all if your PS3 is connected to the receiver using an HDMI cable. The receiver will not show a DTS or DD display since the PS3 would be decoding the sound.
post #197 of 9489 Old 05-12-2008, 06:54 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael F. View Post

I found my progressive scan DVD player hooked up through the component inputs and output through the HDMI did loss quality. The titles and credits on movies had more jagged edges and not as smooth & crisp. I also output the Component from the receiver to my projector and would switch my panasonic projector between HDMI and Component inputs to compare.

This was disappointing for me. My projector does an awesome job of scaling video to it's 720p resolution. I would say much better than the receiver.

Mike
Pearland, TX

Could this be a setting? Did you have it set to just pass thru or up convert?
post #198 of 9489 Old 05-12-2008, 07:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ymarker View Post

PC video (1080p) only -> HDMI -> onkyo 606:
Looked pretty bad. As a matter of fact it wouldn't even stay there. It seemed like the edges were cut off and the picture appeared zoomed in. Made me wonder if it was trying to scale. According to the NVIDIA drivers it detected the HDMI connected to the 606 and I guess was sending either 1080i or something. Regardless, I ended up connecting the PC directed to the TV. Hopefully someone can figure this out.

It is possible your TV has different settings for different inputs. Was is the same TV input you tried in both cases?

Typically, TVs slightly "zoom" an HDMI picture to get rid of annoying edge effects/defects of the original signal. To avoid this for use with a PC, you have to pick a setting called "Just Scan" or "Pixel-for-Pixel" or "Native" or something like that.

It is also possible the Onkyo is doing that zooming for you, but if you are using HDMI passthrough (i.e. not forcing a scaling) it probably isn't doing that.

I suggest looking at your TV input settings to see if overscan is enabled. And then check the Onkyo's upconversion settings to see if it is trying to re-scale.

shinksma

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my captors.
post #199 of 9489 Old 05-12-2008, 07:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael F. View Post

Mike
Pearland, TX

Someone else reported that they got a poor-looking picture if their DVD player was outputting 480i. make sure your DVD player is outputting 480p. For some reason the Onkyo doesn't like interlaced material at that resolution.

shinksma

post #200 of 9489 Old 05-12-2008, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That's what it looks like as you'll get the same readout on the receiver whether its Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD MA (I just tested both). PCM at 48kHz.

I assume there's no drop in quality with this happening, especially with DTS-HD MA? I'm wondering if there's a way to "turn off" decoding on the PS3 so the receiver can handle it.

The PS3 will not bitstream any of the advanced audio codecs. So there is no way to turn that off - the PS3 has to decode it before sending out as LPCM.

So no matter what the codec, the receiver has no idea what it started as on the disk - it just sees LPCM from a PS3.

Other players that do bitstream will of course allow the 606 to get the codecs raw, and them you'll see the appropriate mode displayed on the receiver.

shinksma

post #201 of 9489 Old 05-12-2008, 07:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by meladdin View Post

If you can, disable the crossover on your sub. If it doesn't have that feature, set the low pass filter to the highest frequency. Check your sub's manual for a recommendation on the best volume setting. Normally, you set it to about 1/3 to 1/2 of full volume.

If it's too high, Audyssey will set your Level Calibration really low, like -10 or less. If it's too low, Audyssey will set the Level Calibration really high, like +10 or more. In either case, adjust the volume knob and try again. It's a lot easier to set the volume knob the first time using a sound meter, then run Audyssey.
post #202 of 9489 Old 05-12-2008, 08:31 AM

This thread got em all excited for this purchase, then at trigger pulling time JR is temporarily out of stock. i guess i have a few days to look at speaker packages again. leaning towards the onk sks ht-240 or harman hkts 18. any value whatsoever to matching receiver and speaker brands?
post #203 of 9489 Old 05-12-2008, 09:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audome25 View Post

This thread got em all excited for this purchase, then at trigger pulling time JR is temporarily out of stock. i guess i have a few days to look at speaker packages again. leaning towards the onk sks ht-240 or harman hkts 18. any value whatsoever to matching receiver and speaker brands?

Nope... speakers will reproduce an electrical signal so there's nothing reasonable that they could do to make their speakers sound better with their equipment.
post #204 of 9489 Old 05-12-2008, 09:25 AM

how are people managing the multiple buttons for input?

I have a tivo, and ps3, and its pretty lonely only being able to set each input to only one button.

Are there any differences between putting the ps3 on 'dvd' as opposed to 'game / TV' ?
post #205 of 9489 Old 05-12-2008, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by meladdin View Post

As stated by someone else, the volume should usually be set at 1/3 to 1/2. The frequency should be set to maximum so the receiver can tweak that as it sees fit.
post #206 of 9489 Old 05-12-2008, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Has no owners test if the 606 can pass BTB and WTW?

For HTPC owners using DVI-to-HDMI, does the TV need to be on before turning on the HTPC? On some receivers if you turn on HTPC first, it does not detect the TV, and thus you will get a black screen until you reboot with the TV on.

My ArgyllCMS/MadVR 3DLUT Creation Workflow
My Sharp Elite Movie THX AV Mode Settings
--Aug 2011 Set, 2.2 gamma [ link ]
--Nov 2012 Set, 2.2 gamma [ link ]
post #207 of 9489 Old 05-12-2008, 12:31 PM

Anyone try out upscaling SD content using the 606? If so how would you rate the quality? That's the one thing I would love to see on my 605 that it doesn't do. I'm not sure if that would warrent switching out AVR's but it's something for me to keep in mind. I'd be more than happy to run my cable box with analoge inputs if it meant I got at least HDA30 quality upscaling of SD content.
post #208 of 9489 Old 05-12-2008, 12:50 PM

How do i connect SPDIF from my sat. receiver to 606? is it an optical cable?
what setting i need to change in 606 to make this work?
post #209 of 9489 Old 05-12-2008, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by malikriz View Post

How do i connect SPDIF from my sat. receiver to 606? is it an optical cable?
what setting i need to change in 606 to make this work?

Well, it depends on what outputs your Sat Box has. If is has coax only ,then you use a coax cable (RCA connectors on both ends, but thicker than a "normal" audio cable).

Assuming optical SPDIF, you connect the optical cable between the Sat Box and the receiver. Then you go into the receiver's set-up menu and assign that optical input to the Input type you want associated with your Sat Box. This is all in the manual, page 44.

shinksma

post #210 of 9489 Old 05-12-2008, 01:23 PM

Quote:

Question for others...

This is incorrect. The PS3 decodes both TrueHD and DTSMAHD internally and outputs them as LPCM. The reciever should show something like 'multichannel PCM'

If you see DD or DTS on the front, you have your PS3 set to bitstream, and you are getting the legacy bitstream sound to the receiver, not the hi def audio.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page