The Onkyo TX-SR606 Owners Thread - Page 78 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2311 of 9471 Old 07-28-2008, 02:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
if someone gets a copy of the firmware, please post it.

RF61ii's
RC42ii
WS24's
RW-10D subwoofer
ONKYO AVR TX NR818
Oppo BDP-103
Cyber Power PFC 1500VA UPS
LG 55in 240hz LED 55LM7600 TV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2312 of 9471 Old 07-28-2008, 03:59 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I still can't seem to get into this "hidden menu" to adjust sharpness. Can someone explain what it means you say "you'll need to turn your HDMI source OFF" The only HDMI input I have is my cable box - then one output to my tv. My DVD player is old and hooked up via component. Thanks!
post #2313 of 9471 Old 07-28-2008, 04:02 PM

how do I use banana plugs? I can't seem to make it fit it's too tight, the plastic terminals will break if I orce it.
post #2314 of 9471 Old 07-28-2008, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wafzig16 View Post

I still can't seem to get into this "hidden menu" to adjust sharpness. Can someone explain what it means you say "you'll need to turn your HDMI source OFF" The only HDMI input I have is my cable box - then one output to my tv. My DVD player is old and hooked up via component. Thanks!

I believe that it means to make sure that whatever device uses that input is off... Example - if the input on the receiver is selected on Cable/Sat, and you had a Cable box connected to the Cable Sat input, in order to get to the hidden menu, you would need to make sure that the Cable box is completely off. (Might need to unplug... not sure)
post #2315 of 9471 Old 07-28-2008, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm running 1.01 with occasional buzzing.

I wonder if the buzzing is related to firmware versions. Maybe those with buzzing issues should post their firmware version.

How the heck can I update to 1.03?! Someone please post the firmware.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #2316 of 9471 Old 07-28-2008, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan.Croft View Post

I believe that it means to make sure that whatever device uses that input is off... Example - if the input on the receiver is selected on Cable/Sat, and you had a Cable box connected to the Cable Sat input, in order to get to the hidden menu, you would need to make sure that the Cable box is completely off. (Might need to unplug... not sure)

Yup to get to the secret menu, the input can have NO information being passed through.

1. Set the input to your cable box.
2. Turn off the cable box
3. Press and hold display for 3 seconds. You should get options for sharpness after that.

post #2317 of 9471 Old 07-28-2008, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrinklefree View Post

I wonder if the buzzing is related to firmware versions. Maybe those with buzzing issues should post their firmware version.

My buzzy 606 (Dynamic EQ and Dolby buzz) is running firmware 1.00.
I'm not sure, however, that a firmware upgrade will fix it. Chris from Audyssey suggested a hardware fix was needed. I guess we have to wait and see if huxrules has any more info - remember he had to send his 606 back to Onkyo.
But it would be lovely if a firmware update would do the trick, and if that update was freely available:-)
post #2318 of 9471 Old 07-28-2008, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrinklefree View Post

I have no idea where to get the update. I took it back to the distributor here in Singapore for a warranty service because of the loud fan and they did all the upgrading. My version now reads Main1.03/08630A.

I personally did not have buzzing issue even on the previous firmware (1.02).
post #2319 of 9471 Old 07-28-2008, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gc8710 View Post

I've been trying to get the service manual for the 606 from the Onkyo web site for quite a while now. No luck. Can someone please post a pdf.I'd like to read it before I buy.
I plan on using it with a PS3. Anyone experiencing any issues with the TrueHD or DTS-HD Master Audio decoding using this receiver with the PS3 ?

The PS3 decodes TrueHD and DTS-HD and sends it to the receiver via linear PCM. While you'll still have the same TrueHD and/or DTS-HD audio signal passing through the receiver, you won't be utilizing the 606 to process the codecs. This isn't a fault of the 606...rather its a limitation caused by the older HDMI spec used by the PS3.
post #2320 of 9471 Old 07-28-2008, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by britdiver View Post

I'm trying to work out what APC UPS I want to protect my AV equipment. So I need all the power consumptions (in watts) for the equipment I want to protect. I looked in the manual for the 606 (US version) and it says 5.5 amps????? So how many watts (max) does the 606 draw?

Thanks.

5.5 * 120 (volts) = 660 watts.

George
post #2321 of 9471 Old 07-28-2008, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by REL77 View Post

so does anyone actually really like their 606? My 605 is having HDMI issues so I am looking for a new reciever now, and the 606 is the obvious first place i am looking? I see lots of complaints with ht 606 amd the PS3, 360, ect.. (all devices I have as well)

I've participated in forums for almost every major purchase I've made, and one thing I started to notice after a while is that people will more likely post when something goes wrong (and are looking for a solution) than when things are going well. Its the same whether I'm reading a discussion on my av receiver, my tv, my game consoles, my car, hell even stocks, mutual funds, etc etc. (boy do the investment forums get crazy when things are bearish in the market!).

The point is that these forums seem to over-represent the faults of a product, and under represent the strengths of a product. Most people wouldn't bother posting to a forum if all were good and dandy with their product.

I'm very happy with my 606 so far, and although I'll admit it isn't perfect, I've learned never expect it to be.

-Its more than powerful enough to fill a very open living room w/10 foot ceilings.

-The sound quality is great for what I use it for (don't listen to much music on it)

-It manages all of HDMI sources seamlessly

-I was lucky enough not to have any of the issues that others are suffering

-and although the unit itself is kinda ugly, the upscaler sucks and it lacks pre-outs, I paid under 400 bucks for it and in the end for all of the features its got and the quality of it all...I got a hell of a deal.
post #2322 of 9471 Old 07-28-2008, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haroldgutierrez View Post

how do I use banana plugs? I can't seem to make it fit it's too tight, the plastic terminals will break if I orce it.

I'm sure this is in the thread somewhere, but it's a LONG thread now, so here it goes again:-)
Sounds like you have one of the "European" models like mine. They're fitted with plastic plugs that stop banana plugs from being used (apparently it's required in the EU). But they're easy to remove: just take a self-tapping screw (anything you have lying around), screw it into the hole in the centre of the plastic plug and then pull the plug out.
post #2323 of 9471 Old 07-28-2008, 11:56 PM

Hey guys,

I've been skimming this thread for the last few days (70 pages is a bit too much to read everything, I think!) and I think I'm ready to pull the trigger on this receiver this week.

I have the following components -

PS3 60Gb
Xbox 360
Motorola DCT6200 Cablebox (HD)
HTPC w/ Radeon HD4870
Sharp Aquos LC-46D64U
Hauppauge HD PVR 1212
Nintendo Wii

Ideally, the way I'd want this thing set up would be to have them hooked up like this -

PS3 (Hdmi to 606)
360 (Hdmi to 606)
Motorola DCT6200 Cablebox (Component + Optical to 606)
HTPC (hdmi to 606)
Wii (component + Audio L/R Phono to 606)

My understanding is that the 606 will leave signals passed through HDMI input alone(even if they are not 1080p) and attempt to scale signals passed through analog connections (in this case, the Wii and the cable box) if I'm using the HDMI output to my Sharp TV.

Is this correct?

I have heard mixed reports on the quality of the upscaling, and might not want it enabled for all of my analog inputs. From reading the manual, it does not seem to be possible to choose which inputs are converted and which are not if I'm using the HDMI output.

Basically, my question is this -

Is it possible to have the cable box input left alone (i.e. either 480i or 1080i like it is currently, so SD programming is not stretched by my TV) but upscale the Wii input while still using a single HDMI out to my TV?

Or will I have to try to use a DVI to HDMI connection for my cable box like I am now and combine it with a coax or optical connection or simply connect my TV to the component output of the receiver and map the input I used for the cable box to the output I connected the TV to?

Finally, if I set the HDMI output to "Through", will video from my analog sources still be output over HDMI but unaltered?

Thanks!
post #2324 of 9471 Old 07-29-2008, 02:13 AM

Onkyo already seem to have a HW fix in place for the hum issue. Here is a service document that someone scanned and published on imageshack (img tag doesn't seem to work for this one, maybe because it's GIF):

http://img300.imageshack.us/my.php?i...r606modtl7.gif
post #2325 of 9471 Old 07-29-2008, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Deuteronomy View Post

Onkyo already seem to have a HW fix in place for the hum issue. Here is a service document that someone scanned and published on imageshack (img tag doesn't seem to work for this one, maybe because it's GIF):

Nice find, Old Deuteronomy!
That's great if the hum is exclusively a HDMI issue. The problem is, it isn't. The Dynamic EQ/Dolby Digital buzz happens with either a HDMI or optical audio connection. Here's hoping the fix for that is also in the works.
post #2326 of 9471 Old 07-29-2008, 05:01 AM

Thats your specific issue serious..most are all affected by the HDMI input..thanks for this...im swapping my receiver today and will ask for the B!

when was that service paper released?
post #2327 of 9471 Old 07-29-2008, 06:04 AM

Got my 606 hooked up last night. No audible buzzing that I could detect. I don't have a PS3 though. I do have two HDMI sources, an HDA3 and 360.

One interesting thing is my cable box is component to the receiver and component to the TV. Since I also had HDMI going to the TV the receiver automatically sends out a signal via component AND HDMI. I can choose either for the cable box. I noticed no decrease in the quality of the video doing this but I am wary with all the upconverting talk on the 606. I don't know if scaler is actually doing anything in this case, however.

I'm going to test some more tonight with both the Wii and cable box and if I can't see a difference I'm just going to run HDMI to the TV.

I have two x-mtm fronts, x-cs center, two NHT SB3 for surrounds. Hsu STF-2 for the sub. That's getting replaced soonish though.
post #2328 of 9471 Old 07-29-2008, 06:11 AM

whats the serial number on your 606..does it end in "B"?
post #2329 of 9471 Old 07-29-2008, 06:25 AM

I'm at work but I will check when I get home. I highly doubt it is the new revision though. Forgot to check firmware as well.
post #2330 of 9471 Old 07-29-2008, 06:36 AM

how do you check the firmware?
post #2331 of 9471 Old 07-29-2008, 06:41 AM

Probably like this but I can't verify on the 606:

1) Turn on Receiver
2) HOLD down the "Display" button and press "Standby" button once.
3) Release the "Display" button.
4) Press the + or – keys to cycle forward and backward through all the firmware display pages.

Taken from the 705 FAQ
post #2332 of 9471 Old 07-29-2008, 06:59 AM

didnt work
post #2333 of 9471 Old 07-29-2008, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrmgic View Post

Finally, if I set the HDMI output to "Through", will video from my analog sources still be output over HDMI but unaltered?

It is altered as it is converted from analog to digital and people, including myself have noticed, a difference in the signal. This can for the most part be corrected using the hidden menu mentioned several times in this forum by holding the Display button on the remote and lowering the Sharpness value and possibly some of the others settings. YMMV.

Anyway to put an FAQ at the front of this thread?
post #2334 of 9471 Old 07-29-2008, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Deuteronomy View Post

Wow, that is truly a great find!

Now just how long do I have to wait to be sure to receive a B-marked model? ...
post #2335 of 9471 Old 07-29-2008, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by mystik610 View Post

I've participated in forums for almost every major purchase I've made, and one thing I started to notice after a while is that people will more likely post when something goes wrong (and are looking for a solution) than when things are going well. Its the same whether I'm reading a discussion on my av receiver, my tv, my game consoles, my car, hell even stocks, mutual funds, etc etc. (boy do the investment forums get crazy when things are bearish in the market!).

The point is that these forums seem to over-represent the faults of a product, and under represent the strengths of a product. Most people wouldn't bother posting to a forum if all were good and dandy with their product.

I'm very happy with my 606 so far, and although I'll admit it isn't perfect, I've learned never expect it to be.

-Its more than powerful enough to fill a very open living room w/10 foot ceilings.

-The sound quality is great for what I use it for (don't listen to much music on it)

-It manages all of HDMI sources seamlessly

-I was lucky enough not to have any of the issues that others are suffering

-and although the unit itself is kinda ugly, the upscaler sucks and it lacks pre-outs, I paid under 400 bucks for it and in the end for all of the features its got and the quality of it all...I got a hell of a deal.

Most of us who have/had the 606 buzzing problem also praised the sound quality of the receiver. Indeed, if mine didn't have the buzz issue, it would still be in my AV cabinet happily blasting away. It's clear that Onkyo has a flaw in it's manufacturing and/or QC process. It may not have affected every 606 but it did affect a number of them. Most of us with the problem are in the US but I believe that SeriousHorse is in Australia (or maybe NZ) and he had the problem as well. You were lucky but you shouldn't feel like you're spinning a roulette wheel when purchasing a hi-tech product. Again, I'm glad that you got a good one. It's a terrific unit if it doesn't suffer from the buzzing problem.
post #2336 of 9471 Old 07-29-2008, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dom6918 View Post

when was that service paper released?

Don't know. Just found it in another board, but there was no indication when exactly it was released.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal1981 View Post

Most of us with the problem are in the US but I believe that SeriousHorse is in Australia (or maybe NZ) and he had the problem as well.

I'm in Germany, and the problem is known here as well, with the 606 as well as with the 576.
post #2337 of 9471 Old 07-29-2008, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorWI View Post

It is altered as it is converted from analog to digital and people, including myself have noticed, a difference in the signal. This can for the most part be corrected using the hidden menu mentioned several times in this forum by holding the Display button on the remote and lowering the Sharpness value and possibly some of the others settings. YMMV.

Anyway to put an FAQ at the front of this thread?

Yes, I think a FAQ would be most helpful.. the one in the 705 thread is great.

I was hoping that the quality wouldn't be affected by passing through..

What about the HDMI sources, though? Are those unaffected by "through" mode since they're already digital?
post #2338 of 9471 Old 07-29-2008, 08:45 AM

Hi all,
I just got around to using the bi-amp for a pair of KEF iQ3s with my 606.

Just out of curiosity, would it be possible to use the bi-amp feature to drive 2 sets of speakers?

For example, hook up the "high end" feed to the KEF's

and use the "low end" feed to drive a pair of floorstander?

I'm guessing the 606 uses some internal crossover when in bi-amp mode.

I just don't want to blow anything up.

Thanks in advance.
post #2339 of 9471 Old 07-29-2008, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrmgic View Post

Yes, I think a FAQ would be most helpful.. the one in the 705 thread is great.

I was hoping that the quality wouldn't be affected by passing through..

What about the HDMI sources, though? Are those unaffected by "through" mode since they're already digital?

I can't speak for all but I have not noticed any quality degradation from my PS3 which is the only HDMI source I currently have.
post #2340 of 9471 Old 07-29-2008, 08:58 AM

So I assume for those of us that have no authorized Onkyo service center near us, the only way to get the fix for the hum is to call support and send it in? I'm past my 30 days at Circuit City so I imagine all warranty support now goes through Onkyo? Sorry if it's a stupid question but this is the first time I've had to do such a thing, guess I've been lucky with most of my other purchases.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page