post #2371 of 9463 Old 07-30-2008, 03:18 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhazard View Post

Hold Display for 3 secs when your cable box is off to get to the menu where you can adjust sharpness/saturation, etc.

Please excuse me for butting in here, but have a question about the hidden menu and how you navigate around once in.

I get the following screen when I hold down the display button:

480i/60-> 480*

How do I navigate and how do I make selections?

Thank you for any help.

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2372 of 9463 Old 07-30-2008, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderduck View Post

Please excuse me for butting in here, but have a question about the hidden menu and how you navigate around once in.

I get the following screen when I hold down the display button:

480i/60-> 480*

How do I navigate and how do I make selections?

Thank you for any help.

Steve

hmm not sure how you got there, but here's a step by step on how to do this.

1. From the remote, select the input you wish to control such as the cable box. If the cable box is connected via HDMI, you'll need to turn it OFF.
2. From the remote, press RECEIVER (very important). Then Press and hold the display button for a few seconds. You should see controls for Color, HUE, Contrast, and sharpness.

Once in the menu you navigate with the up/down/left/right buttons.
post #2373 of 9463 Old 07-30-2008, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huxrules View Post

And there is good news and bad news.

First off: This is my second 606. The first returned to crutchfield for the buzz issue- this second one was sent into onkyo to see if they could fix it.

My setup- two polk monitor 70 in the front, a crap center channel. Everything runs through hdmi, apple tv, dvd, and xbox 360 to a panny. Its all hdmi.

The buzz: would show up every time a dolby digital source was used- no matter the device. If Audessy was turned off then the buzz would disappear.

The repair: Sent into onkyo about two weeks ago. Im not sure what they did (they suggested they did a hardware fix) but the firmware is now 1.03.

The result: Here is the bad news- it still buzzes! How horrible is that! I was about to through the thing out the window. I played around for awhile and remembered that some people were getting luck with turning off the dyanmic eq- so it tried this- success! There is no buzz now with audyssey engaged, a DD source, and dynamic eq off. So I guess its half fixed.

Thanks for the update, huxrules, but this is terrible news. They didn't really fix a thing. I thought your original problem was with Dolby sources and Dynamic EQ, and I was hoping that was what they were going to fix. This is really beginning to drag on, isn't it?
post #2374 of 9463 Old 07-30-2008, 04:58 PM

Quote:

First off: This is my second 606. The first returned to crutchfield for the buzz issue- this second one was sent into onkyo to see if they could fix it.

My setup- two polk monitor 70 in the front, a crap center channel. Everything runs through hdmi, apple tv, dvd, and xbox 360 to a panny. Its all hdmi.

The buzz: would show up every time a dolby digital source was used- no matter the device. If Audessy was turned off then the buzz would disappear.

The repair: Sent into onkyo about two weeks ago. Im not sure what they did (they suggested they did a hardware fix) but the firmware is now 1.03.

The result: Here is the bad news- it still buzzes! How horrible is that! I was about to through the thing out the window. I played around for awhile and remembered that some people were getting luck with turning off the dyanmic eq- so it tried this- success! There is no buzz now with audyssey engaged, a DD source, and dynamic eq off. So I guess its half fixed.

Conclusion- I'm not sure If I'm going to return it to crutchfield. Those HKs look pretty good. I'll have to think about it. BTW- The customer service at onkyo was good- but the thing is only half fixed.

Like SeriousHorse says.... This does stink. The DynamicEQ has always been a workaround. If you don't mind could you call your service center and ask them what they did? They obviously made a FW change like you said. Question is.... Did they change C8101 from a 0 Ohm resistor to a 2.2 Ohm resistor on the HDMI board? This data is from a previous poster who got a hold of a repair notification for Humming Audio on the 606.
post #2375 of 9463 Old 07-30-2008, 05:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrinklefree View Post

hmm not sure how you got there, but here's a step by step on how to do this.

1. From the remote, select the input you wish to control such as the cable box. If the cable box is connected via HDMI, you'll need to turn it OFF.
2. From the remote, press RECEIVER (very important). Then Press and hold the display button for a few seconds. You should see controls for Color, HUE, Contrast, and sharpness.

Once in the menu you navigate with the up/down/left/right buttons.

So, this is all done from the remote? I was pushing the Display button on the receiver itself.

Thank you very much for clearing that up for me.

Steve
post #2376 of 9463 Old 07-30-2008, 06:10 PM

This has been referred to but I thought having the link would help as this thread is getting way too long for easy reference.

There is a Onkyo 705 thread that has information that applies to the 606 as well. It can be found at:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=935808

If you open the link and scroll down to the header in red, titled
‚óŹ OWNER FAQ

and scroll down further to question 4:
4) What are the secret key combinations to get to the extra features?

there is information there on the hidden menus for the 705, some of which applies to the 606 as well. Be careful to read the warnings within as well.
post #2377 of 9463 Old 07-30-2008, 06:12 PM

I have the 1.02 firmware and no problems/buzz. Love the 606. Also my serial number does NOT end in a "B"
post #2378 of 9463 Old 07-30-2008, 06:29 PM

Well this all was a good excuse to buy a spectrum analyzer for my iphone. I'll do some tests tomorrow and see if I can illustrate what the hum looks like. I'll also try to figure out what modes that causes the hum. Not sure if they replaced my resistor- if I know where to look for it I could tell you. You can see the hdmi board just by looking through the vents but I'm not sure where the resistor is.

I'm also going to talk to crutchfield- I wonder if they would take it back - its been 6 weeks.
post #2379 of 9463 Old 07-30-2008, 07:17 PM
AVS Special Member

The best way to tell if the resistor fix from Onkyo works is to look at the "B" units.

Does anyone with a B unit 606 have the buzzing noise?
post #2380 of 9463 Old 07-30-2008, 07:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderduck View Post

So, this is all done from the remote? I was pushing the Display button on the receiver itself.

Thank you very much for clearing that up for me.

Steve

Yes this is all done with the remote.
post #2381 of 9463 Old 07-30-2008, 07:35 PM

Quote:

Well this all was a good excuse to buy a spectrum analyzer for my iphone. I'll do some tests tomorrow and see if I can illustrate what the hum looks like. I'll also try to figure out what modes that causes the hum. Not sure if they replaced my resistor- if I know where to look for it I could tell you. You can see the hdmi board just by looking through the vents but I'm not sure where the resistor is.

I think you'll find it only hums when you've got Audyssey equalisation on (which is the only way to enable Dynamic EQ in the first place) and Dynamic EQ enabled, and it'll only happen with Dolby sources. PCM sources don't buzz, with or without Dynamic EQ. If you've got a buzzy 606 you can reproduce it 100% of the time. I still don't understand why some units buzz and some don't, but there you go . . .
I love my 606, I really do. I just want it to work properly, all features enabled.
post #2382 of 9463 Old 07-30-2008, 08:06 PM

Quote:

Conclusion- I'm not sure If I'm going to return it to crutchfield. Those HKs look pretty good. I'll have to think about it. BTW- The customer service at onkyo was good- but the thing is only half fixed.

Wow....looks like I'm going to have to wait a little longer. And here I was thinking that "B" models already had the hardware fix, but if the service center couldn't fix huxrules's 606, I doubt the fix is in the factory line. Big Bummer!
post #2383 of 9463 Old 07-30-2008, 09:06 PM

Here goes a few stupid questions but the manual isn't helping me. I am a newbie so please be kind. I just purchased my 606 and so far the thing its great BUT having some problems understanding the following:

1. I really don't know what the frak PCM means.
2. When I hook up my ps3 using HDMI I can't get the signal in Dolby Digital 5.1. What is the optimal setup for the ps3 on the 606? It just keeps giving me PCM 48khz when I check the signal input (hitting {reciever} then {display} on remote.) When I run my cable box in on hdmi I get DD just fine (when available).

Thanks for any help or general guidance.
post #2384 of 9463 Old 07-30-2008, 09:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
PCM = Pulse Code Modulation

The measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out.
post #2385 of 9463 Old 07-30-2008, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelkicker View Post

Here goes a few stupid questions but the manual isn't helping me. I am a newbie so please be kind. I just purchased my 606 and so far the thing its great BUT having some problems understanding the following:

2. When I hook up my ps3 using HDMI I can't get the signal in Dolby Digital 5.1. What is the optimal setup for the ps3 on the 606? It just keeps giving me PCM 48khz when I check the signal input (hitting {reciever} then {display} on remote.) When I run my cable box in on hdmi I get DD just fine (when available).

you have to change the audio output format from your PS3 to bitstream and let 606 process the sound track. PCM means PS3 is already decoding your dvd audio tracks.

see here
manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps3/current/settings/bdsettings.html for more info.
post #2386 of 9463 Old 07-31-2008, 12:40 AM

Quote:

Unless you set the PS3 to output a bitstream signal, you will not see the "audio" mode on the amp. It will show PCM etc. This is correct as all the decoding is done on the PS3 and therefore the decoders on the amp are not used...
post #2387 of 9463 Old 07-31-2008, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dom6918 View Post

Unless you set the PS3 to output a bitstream signal, you will not see the "audio" mode on the amp. It will show PCM etc. This is correct as all the decoding is done on the PS3 and therefore the decoders on the amp are not used...

What he's saying is that it doesn't matter if it says PCM och Dolby Digital 5.1, you're still listening to the best possible. The only difference being that if it states PCM your PS3 is decoding, whereas if it says DD 5.1 your receiver is. If you want DD 5.1 to show up on receiver, switch PS3 to bitstream output under BD/DVD options (or during playback of a movie!)
post #2388 of 9463 Old 07-31-2008, 03:01 AM

Sounds like I found my next receiver
post #2389 of 9463 Old 07-31-2008, 04:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

If you're not receiving multichannel PCM and are not able to select the Multichannel listening mode, you need to redo your PS3 audio setup. Go into the audio settings and select HDMI output then automatic configuration. You need to do this every time you hook your PS3 up to a different receiver.
post #2390 of 9463 Old 07-31-2008, 04:42 AM

Quote:

I'm also going to talk to crutchfield- I wonder if they would take it back - its been 6 weeks.

Not sure if you'd found this or not, so I will provide a link. I already did a 2D waveform plot and a 3D FFT plot of the noise in the 606. Its at:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...postcount=1755
post #2391 of 9463 Old 07-31-2008, 05:18 AM
Advanced Member

what volume would some of you suggest for gaming or watching movies in a 10x10 area

blu rays and 360

i have been doing about 44ish

Windows 7 Home Premium, Intel Core i7 920@2.67ghz, 1.5TB HDDx2, 8GB DDR3@1066mhz, Nvidia Geforce GT220
post #2392 of 9463 Old 07-31-2008, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myth View Post

what volume would some of you suggest for gaming or watching movies in a 10x10 area

blu rays and 360

hmmm, that seems like it would be really loud in such a small space.
i'm in a 18x18x10 room and usually listen around these levels
25-35 for 360 games
40-45 for movies from the 360 (don't know why movies so much more quiet than games)
40-55 for music coming from a zune
post #2393 of 9463 Old 07-31-2008, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridarsxts7 View Post

how do you hard reset the 606?

-- Chad

Press and hold the vcr mode button on the front of the receiver, push the power button, you should see "CLEAR" on the display. Push power button again.
post #2394 of 9463 Old 07-31-2008, 06:27 AM

Quote:

blu rays and 360

The actual loudness of the speaker output depends on the efficiency of the speaker. Therefore comparing volume knob values would be meaningless unless you both used the exact same speakers.
post #2395 of 9463 Old 07-31-2008, 06:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
Quote:

blu rays and 360

I listen at a comfortable level.

I doubt any number will mean anything as volume depends on your speakers' sensitivity. Some, with sensitive speakers, will use a lower volume number on the receiver to receive the same sound level that someone else would get using a much higher volume setting, if their speakers are less sensitive.
post #2396 of 9463 Old 07-31-2008, 06:51 AM
AVS Special Member

With the humming, buzzing issue, I wonder if there was either a bad batch of boards used on some of these, or, perhaps a component on the affected board was out of spec.

I'm sure Onkyo didn't intentionally create this issue and the 606 has been out for awhile. Might just be luck of the draw on what you get, unless the serial number modification scheme proves to be a sure fire fix.

I have one with no issues and have tested it every way described here in this thread.

Unfortunately, Onkyo is not known for their customer service or customer friendly repair practices (you pay to send things into them) so if you got a bad one you are pretty much at the mercy of your vendor as far as returns.
post #2397 of 9463 Old 07-31-2008, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I probably missed it, but is there actually evidence that some units have the buzzing problem and some don't? I've gotten the impression from what I've read that people that have the buzzing problem still have it when they try a different receiver. I suspect that if a person with the buzzing problem were to try their receiver in Aydu's system, it would not buzz. That's not to say there isn't a design issue with the 606 that makes it very susceptible to this problem, just that I don't think it's a broken receiver problem or something that can be fixed by swapping for a different unit.
post #2398 of 9463 Old 07-31-2008, 08:48 AM

Would it not be better for those affected to start a separate thread about the hum/buzz problem in 606's?
I have just tested it by pausing several dvd's (Dolby 1, 2.0, 5.1 and DTS) on my PS3 and turning the volume to Max. Even with my ear to the speaker, I hear nothing. Then I remembered, someone wrote that it only occurs on 1080p systems (mine is 1080i). Do I need to use bitstream or PCM, DD sources and non-DD sources? A 7.1 or 5.1 setup? A disconnected sub? A 5.1 system tricked into thinking it is 7.1?
I have followed this thread from the start, but I lost track of what is or is not required to hear the unwanted noise. A separate thread with a startup FAQ might save a lot of confusion and repeat posts.
post #2399 of 9463 Old 07-31-2008, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kplex View Post

I probably missed it, but is there actually evidence that some units have the buzzing problem and some don't? I've gotten the impression from what I've read that people that have the buzzing problem still have it when they try a different receiver. I suspect that if a person with the buzzing problem were to try their receiver in Aydu's system, it would not buzz. That's not to say there isn't a design issue with the 606 that makes it very susceptible to this problem, just that I don't think it's a broken receiver problem or something that can be fixed by swapping for a different unit.

Someone posted a service bulletin on how the shop was supposed to swap out some resistor to fix the buzz issue. Another poster said that their was some change to the model or serial numbering scheme that would indicate units with the newer design.

Both these items led me to believe that there is indeed an issue with some (all?) 606 receivers. I have one of the quiet ones and don't know if it is that I have the right components attached to it, or, that I just lucked out and got a good one.
post #2400 of 9463 Old 07-31-2008, 08:54 AM

After reading some of the professional reviews of this receiver, I recently upgraded from a Pioneer VSX-1015TX to this Onkyo receiver. Mainly I did it to get the HDMI connections and so I could pass 'bitstream' to this receiver so it could decode 'DTS-HD Master Audio' and 'Dolby TrueHD' for lossless sound.

I have the following equipment hooked up to it.
JVC HD61FH96 LCOS - HDTV
Panasonic DMP-BD30 - BluRay player
Toshiba HD-A35 - HD-DVD player
Explorer 8300HD - cable box

Speakers:
Infinity Beta 50 - fronts (bi-wired)
Infinity Beta C360 - center
Infinity Beta ES250 - surrounds
Infinity SW-12 - powered subwoofer

I have to say that the setup of this receiver was VERY easy and while my Pioneer VSX-1015TX had very good sound, this Onkyo is noticably better. Incredible surround sound clarity with my setup.

I also love how the HDMI makes the hookups so much more uncluttered, along with the fact that I can now pass 'bitstream' lossless sound to this receiver for it to decode. 'DTS-HD Master Audio' and 'Dolby TrueHD' sent bitstream from the Panasonic BluRay and Toshiba HD-DVD players sound incredible.

I love my new setup and have not had any issues with buzzing.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page