Official Pioneer SC-09TX/SC-LX90 Owner's Thread - Page 13 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 5387 Old 07-27-2008, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragnet View Post

Yep, I agree. If the upcoming flagship BD-player doesn't have i.Link it's not a flagship.

The upcoming BD flagship does not have ILink, DVD-A or SACD. I dont recognise it as a flagship, it seems more like a boutique piece for those who want something to match their Kuro.

The Denon flagship scheduled for Early 09 has SACD, DVD-A and DL3 so looks like Pioneer have a very short window for the BDP-LX91.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 5387 Old 07-27-2008, 01:24 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krobar View Post

The upcoming BD flagship does not have ILink, DVD-A or SACD. I dont recognise it as a flagship, it seems more like a boutique piece for those who want something to match their Kuro.

The Denon flagship scheduled for Early 09 has SACD, DVD-A and DL3 so looks like Pioneer have a very short window for the BDP-LX91.

Maybe someone else has some inside BDP flagship information, but, I've never heard any words of affirmation from Pioneer that the BDP-LX91 was going to be their flagship player, any timeframe for the release of any flagship player by them, nor any/or what the said features (i.e ILink, etc.) of such a flagship player would be if/when released. I didn't even hear/assume that the BDP-09FD was going to be their flagship player either. Although, there are some attractive rumors about that machine floating around. Where are these Pioneer flagship sources without ILink, etc. coming from?
post #363 of 5387 Old 07-27-2008, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Eddie View Post

Maybe someone else has some inside BDP flagship information, but, I've never heard any words of affirmation from Pioneer that the BDP-LX91 was going to be their flagship player, any timeframe for the release of any flagship player by them, nor any/or what the said features (i.e ILink, etc.) of such a flagship player would be if/when released. I didn't even hear/assume that the BDP-09FD was going to be their flagship player either. Although, there are some attractive rumors about that machine floating around. Where are these Pioneer flagship sources without ILink, etc. coming from?

Official Pioneer Info:
http://www.avforums.com/forums/attac...6&d=1211627458

Stills of the LX91 in action:
http://www.avforums.com/forums/showp...5&postcount=68

I'll let people make their own mind up on if these are "Rumours"
post #364 of 5387 Old 07-27-2008, 04:26 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer View Post

Yes.

Ditto yes.

Tim
Selling Anthem PVA7.
STABILITY + Superior audio (SC09-TX) + Incredible picture (VPL-VW200) + good integration.
post #365 of 5387 Old 07-27-2008, 04:39 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

BDP-09FD. Cool.

Tim
Selling Anthem PVA7.
STABILITY + Superior audio (SC09-TX) + Incredible picture (VPL-VW200) + good integration.
post #366 of 5387 Old 07-28-2008, 05:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by docjj View Post

I have a question...Why has this amazing piece not had any press in Home Theater, Electronic House, Sound & Vision or any other magazine since its release?
docjj

Looks like several reviews on the way, according to this blog!

http://blog.ultimateavmag.com/scottw...72208receiver/

ss9001

Steve
post #367 of 5387 Old 07-28-2008, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 View Post

ILink is still King!

I found this in the SC-07 manual on the PQLS-over-HDMI feature:

"When this set is connected by HDMI cable to a Pioneer player that is compatible with the PQLS function via HDMI connection and a CD is played or HDMI re-authentication is performed (the HDMI indicator blinks), the PQLS effect is enabled and the listening mode is set to stereo.

If a listening mode other than stereo is selected while the PQLS effect is enabled, the PQLS effect is disabled."

In its current form, its totally useless for 5.1 SACD/DVDA. And you can't even listen to your CDs in surround!

Unless Pioneer modifies the design to work with SACD/DVDA over HDMI, ILink is still a far superior connection and the best one to use for those discs.

ss9001

The new Sony HDMI SACD/CD player can apparently do HATS (AKA PQLS) over HDMI for CD AND DSD. It may or may not be compatible with the Pioneer amps (Likely they will both use the same system but check for a matching brand - This is what happened with HATS and PQLS over ILink).

http://translate.google.co.uk/transl...00ES%26hl%3Den
post #368 of 5387 Old 07-29-2008, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudolpht View Post

BDP-09FD. Cool.

Yes, I concur..should/could be wayyy cool. And I hope it comes with all the fixins; or at least, everything all of us would want it to have because I want one too. Pioneer really needs to bring da' bling on this upcoming player.

As an aside, I asked on the other thread if this player was going to have the Mac Daddy logo emblazoned on top. They said no! Well, I'd personally like to see one have the Mac Daddy logo on top just like it is on our SC-09TX's. Do you guys think we might get the Mac Daddy logo?
post #369 of 5387 Old 07-29-2008, 02:37 PM

The unit is in place for 2 days and it sound very nice compared to my prevous pio receiver. Sofar So good. I need help with the following. I connected a PC and use my Pio screen via the unit as a display via DVI to HDMI. Screen looks ok. The digital sound from my PC is connected to Digital 4 (coax). As soon as HDMI is selected as input no other digital sound is allowed. Could you assist? In other words will it be possible to have HDMI picture with other Digital sound connected?
post #370 of 5387 Old 07-29-2008, 03:20 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krobar View Post

The new Sony HDMI SACD/CD player can apparently do HATS (AKA PQLS) over HDMI for CD AND DSD. It may or may not be compatible with the Pioneer amps (Likely they will both use the same system but check for a matching brand - This is what happened with HATS and PQLS over ILink).

http://translate.google.co.uk/transl...00ES%26hl%3Den

Thats a fantastic find Krobar - well done. It sounds like ARC over HDMI may become the new audiophile interface to replace i-link after all.

Now I need is a new class D Sony amp! The DA7100 is fine, but I'm really missing my DA9000.

Best regards, Nick
post #371 of 5387 Old 07-29-2008, 04:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bird_oa View Post

The unit is in place for 2 days and it sound very nice compared to my prevous pio receiver. Sofar So good. I need help with the following. I connected a PC and use my Pio screen via the unit as a display via DVI to HDMI. Screen looks ok. The digital sound from my PC is connected to Digital 4 (coax). As soon as HDMI is selected as input no other digital sound is allowed. Could you assist? In other words will it be possible to have HDMI picture with other Digital sound connected?

bird_oa,

Couple of questions:
1. Did you assign the HDMI input to another source? You don't have to, and can let the HDMI input continue as its own separate source, independant of others. You do have the option of assigning it or not.

2. Did you assign Dig 4 to the same input in the setup menu? If not, you'll need to do that.

3. Is the audio signal set to Auto or did you manually try changing it to the digital audio? You can see the audio signal selected at the bottom of the LCD display. When audio signal is set to Auto, the receiver has a hierarchy in its selection of which audio signal to use first:

HDMI audio is #1
ILink audio is #2
Digital audio is #3 (for laserdiscs, AC3-RF is #3, followed by digital)
Analog audio is #4

So, if you didn't change the audio signal from Auto, try changing it manually to digital, and see if you get the signal, assuming your Dig 4 is assigned to the same HDMI input. There's a button on the remote for changing the audio signal selected. It should find it on its own in Auto, but this would help confirm it's assigned properly & available for that input.

If you've done all these things already & still having problems, let us know...we'll try to help.

ss9001
Steve

Steve
post #372 of 5387 Old 07-29-2008, 06:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked: 291
I'll be reviewing this product for Ultimate AV Magazine. I just received it today and will hopefully have it hooked up either tonight or tomorrow night to start my evaluation. Look for the review to be posted by the end of August.

Best regards,

David Vaughn Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)
My Atmos Renovation Part 1 http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...odyssey-part-1
My Atmos Renovation Part 2 http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...odyssey-part-2
post #373 of 5387 Old 07-29-2008, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post

I'll be reviewing this product for Ultimate AV Magazine. I just received it today and will hopefully have it hooked up either tonight or tomorrow night to start my evaluation. Look for the review to be posted by the end of August.

Best regards,

Dave,

Great news!! Thanks for the heads up.

One big favor you can do for all owners & potential buyers is determine how the amp power gets divided up. As u know, Pioneer rates it as 10 X 140 wpc or 7 X 200 wpc, but no where do they explain how and in what mode you get the 7 X 200 watts. And no one I've talked to at Pioneer, including the Division Manager, can explain it either.

The only answer I've gotten is that you get 200 wpc when in "7 channel mode". But there is no straight 7 channel mode. There's a 7 channel mode where the front 3 ch's are bi-amped, but you can't get an even 7X200 that way - mathematically not possible; and there's a 5 ch, all ch's biamped mode. Not mathematically possible that way either.

If you get 200 wpc when not all the channels are used in 10 ch mode, due to more power being available from the power supply, then that could make sense.

Pleeeze help us out on this

I'll send you a PM on this, also. Looking forward to your observations & evaluations.

ss9001
Steve

Steve
post #374 of 5387 Old 07-30-2008, 12:02 AM

[quote=ss9001;14395367]bird_oa,

Couple of questions:
1. Did you assign the HDMI input to another source? You don't have to, and can let the HDMI input continue as its own separate source, independant of others. You do have the option of assigning it or not.

Steve,
The signal select and Auto HDMI Off did the trick! Now trying to get the digital signal in stead of the stereo signal from my soundcard to the Pio.
Thanks for your help/solution sofar!
Jan
post #375 of 5387 Old 07-31-2008, 05:50 PM

By now, most us owners must have gotten Pioneer's brief email notice on their new BDP players, including the BDP-09FD. Not much more detail on the 09FD other than the official model number and the possibilty of some unveiled features.

I'd say if Pioneer is gonna try and sell me da' playa' of players, then they better make sure to bring all da' goods to the table and show me da' money! Otherwise, I'll be the first to kick a POS to the curb. Hehehe....
post #376 of 5387 Old 07-31-2008, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bird_oa View Post

...Thanks for your help/solution sofar!
Jan

No problem! Glad I could help.

ss9001
Steve

Steve
post #377 of 5387 Old 07-31-2008, 07:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

By now, most us owners must have gotten Pioneer's brief email notice on their new BDP players..

I haven't, but maybe because I didn't register it online..maybe?
I usually don't bother to register online just to avoid manufacturer's spam. Software related, but I can't seem to get off Nuance's list, having bought Paperport software & one upgrade quite a few yrs ago. About every 3-4 weeks I get an email to my work address about a "last chance" opportunity to buy their Dragan Naturally Speaking, their pdf writer/scanning converter, and oh yes, yet another upgrade to Paperport.

Altho I admit getting the Ipod dock discount notice for my previously registered receiver was nice if they decide to offer registered SC-09 owners 50% off list on BD players, I'll jump on it!!

Steve
post #378 of 5387 Old 07-31-2008, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 View Post

I haven't, but maybe because I didn't register it online..maybe?
I usually don't bother to register online just to avoid manufacturer's spam. Software related, but I can't seem to get off Nuance's list, having bought Paperport software & one upgrade quite a few yrs ago. About every 3-4 weeks I get an email to my work address about a "last chance" opportunity to buy their Dragan Naturally Speaking, their pdf writer/scanning converter, and oh yes, yet another upgrade to Paperport.

Altho I admit getting the Ipod dock discount notice for my previously registered receiver was nice if they decide to offer registered SC-09 owners 50% off list on BD players, I'll jump on it!!

Oh.....I just dump spam out and never see it anyway, if I ever get it at all. You run a chance of missing other emails, but oh well! Never could understand why these people send some of this stuff out anyway? Do they think it bothers people when it automatically gets trash binned anyway? What is their point? Why can't you unsubscribe from that mailing list? Are they afraid they'll lose their only customer? Some of this spam stuff is childish....is it a bunch of losers or kids or what? Never could understand it myself?
post #379 of 5387 Old 07-31-2008, 09:48 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Best regards,

Excellent. can't wait for it in print too I hope (after the magazine called the last non-flagship a flagship )

Ask away on questions/issues, too. You'll find us pretty objective as owners go, not covering up the warts while extolling the many virtues.

Tim
Selling Anthem PVA7.
post #380 of 5387 Old 07-31-2008, 09:58 PM
AVS Special Member

We are no longer a print magazine (unfortunately), but the benefit of a web publication is we can get things to market a lot quicker.

I've got the unit fully installed and am pleased thus far. It isn't perfect, but I've yet to find a perfect product (but I'm holding out hope ). I spent an hour on the phone with Pioneer today speaking with their audio marketing manager and it was a very productive and enlightening conversation.

Thanks for the offer for any questions. As I get further into the review process, I may take you up on it!

Best,

David Vaughn Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)
My Atmos Renovation Part 1 http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...odyssey-part-1
My Atmos Renovation Part 2 http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...odyssey-part-2
post #381 of 5387 Old 08-01-2008, 03:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

..Thanks for the offer for any questions. As I get further into the review process, I may take you up on it!

Best,

Dave,
I think it's safe to say the majority of us are pleased with our purchase, but its always nice to read impartial & objective evaluations by knowledgable people.

Tim is correct, we are a pretty objective lot about this receiver & not just fanboys. We are aware of some of the quirks and learning as we go, so if something comes up, feel free to ask!

Even Pioneer's own US personnel are still learning about its functionality

Steve
ss9001

Steve
post #382 of 5387 Old 08-01-2008, 05:50 AM

I surely/sorely hope that (BDP-LX91) picture isn't what the final USA Elite product (BDP-09FD) will look like. That model does not even match/look like our SC-09TX design. It looks like it pairs with the SC-07, SC-05, or other receivers. At least the previous AVLand prototype looked like it matched our equipment and had some of the goods/features we all could live with for the supposed asking price. Personally, I'll kick that watered down model to the curb. It may end up that Oppo may be the only hope.
post #383 of 5387 Old 08-01-2008, 04:37 PM

Hi,

I have 2 questions

1. Regarding the Subwoofers Setup. I have 2 Subs (in the deftech 7000sc)

What's the difference Between

Sub : Yes x 2
or
Sub : Yes + 2

2. Should the remote control work in media gallery? Mine doesn't..
Thanks.
post #384 of 5387 Old 08-01-2008, 10:10 PM
AVS Special Member

To get the remote to work in Media Gallery, you need to toggle the center switch to the middle. It took me a few minutes to figure that one out as well.

As for your sub question, I'm not sure. I only have one sub.

post #385 of 5387 Old 08-11-2008, 09:14 AM

Is there any way to have the low bass (under the crossover) when playing analog source without doing a analog -> PCM conversion?

Today I listen to SACD mutlichannel on the P03 of Esoteric (8000$) through i.link. The Pioneer shows DSD in pure direct but in direct, it's written DSD->PCM.
THe sound quality was really outstanding.
post #386 of 5387 Old 08-11-2008, 04:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nippon View Post

Is there any way to have the low bass (under the crossover) when playing analog source without doing a analog -> PCM conversion?..

Not that I can see. You can set the sub output to Plus in Manual Speaker settings. But, they do not engage in Pure Direct mode. They turn on when set to Direct, which means going thru DSP for bass management, speaker settings, etc.

The only way I can see to use subs without an A-D conversion is to hook them up using your speaker level outputs to the sub & the sub's internal high pass/low pass crossovers to direct bass to sub & mids/hi's to speakers. Outlaw Audio did make an analog bass management box several years ago called the ICBM but its no longer made.

The good news is that according to Pioneer, the sampling rate converter will upsample analog audio to 192 Khz so you probably can't tell the difference. I know I can't, but the purist in me still has an aversion doing the conversion anyway - we audiophiles can be an anal bunch

On your SACD observation, Pure Direct does let the receiver's DACs decode DSD directly but with no bass management, speaker levels adjusted, etc. Direct allows the receiver to do all bass management, speaker levels, delays, and EQ, but that requires DSD to be converted to PCM first. But it won't be down-sampled to CD 44.1 khz quality; it will remain at SACD rate of 88.2 or 176.4 khz. From my understanding, all DSD has to be changed to PCM anyway to be converted to analog, just where it gets changed is the difference.

The sound quality IS awesome

ss9001

Steve
post #387 of 5387 Old 08-12-2008, 05:44 AM

The new wolfston DAC used in the pioneer do a direct convertion DSD -> Analog.
Anyway I found a way to use the sub for both analog stereo and LFE.
Now I am using an ELAC 211.2, which is quiet nice for music but very middle range for movie. ELAC sub have a processing system that can add speaker input signal and LFE signal (even for the center). But only ELAC does this.
I am planning to move to a velodyne HGS-15 which hard to find in Japan (velodyne is not distributed here). But with Velodyne, it's speaker input or RCA (left/right) input. In case of LFE, the best is to use a Y splitter to input both.

My idea is to use an audio RCA selector, one input is connected to the LFE pre out of the Pioneer and another one the pre out L/R of the pioneer.

According to the manual, even sound is input at the L/R speaker output, the pre out signal is still output

What do you think about this idea (and about the HGS-15 if anybody used it?)
post #388 of 5387 Old 08-13-2008, 02:25 AM

I have a question about inpedance.
Is there somewhere in the menu where you can choose the inpedance of your speakers?
My two front are 8 Ohms and my 4 surrounds are 4 Ohms. I am planning on buying a 4 Ohm center too.
I understand the MCACC will adjust the speaker level. But when the volume is changed, the current in each line (8Ohms or 4 Ohms) needed will be different.

If I increase the volume by 50%, I don't want the volume of my surround to be increased by only 25 %.

Thanks for your help
post #389 of 5387 Old 08-13-2008, 02:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Is there any way to have the low bass (under the crossover) when playing analog source without doing a analog -> PCM conversion?

Today I listen to SACD mutlichannel on the P03 of Esoteric (8000$) through i.link. The Pioneer shows DSD in pure direct but in direct, it's written DSD->PCM.
THe sound quality was really outstanding.

Thanks for the info. Maybe Esoteric will provide us with a nice BR player alhough personally my limit is $3-4K ansd only then if it has absolutely everything I want.
post #390 of 5387 Old 08-13-2008, 03:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have a question about inpedance.
Is there somewhere in the menu where you can choose the inpedance of your speakers?
My two front are 8 Ohms and my 4 surrounds are 4 Ohms. I am planning on buying a 4 Ohm center too.
I understand the MCACC will adjust the speaker level. But when the volume is changed, the current in each line (8Ohms or 4 Ohms) needed will be different.

If I increase the volume by 50%, I don't want the volume of my surround to be increased by only 25 %.

Thanks for your help

As long as the PSUs are not overloaded they will just supply the extra current as required, volume usually effects voltage and whatever current is needed is just supplied. 4ohm Nominal with the same sensitivity as an 8ohm speaker would be 3db louder which MCACC should be able to deal with.

As a rule of thumb though you should match the speakers and impendance in a surround sound setup.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page