post #451 of 5382 Old 08-26-2008, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by nippon View Post

My Lx-90 is coming on Thursday. I was almost one month since I order it.
I know it's a bit off topic but whcih HDMI cable short length do you recommand for it.
I have already a SUPRA cable of 10m to my projector but I would like to upgrade the one between my blue ray player and the LX-90. I need only one meter so I can take higher quality (especialy for the audio).
I don't know what's the best cable for audio
I am thinking the FURUTECH xv1.4
Wireworld ultraviolet or AUDIOQUEST HDMI 1.
They are all around 250$.

Dave, which cable did you use to make your review?

Thanks

For a short length cable, it doesn't really matter...it's 1's and 0's. For longer cable runs, quality does matter. I use a fiberoptic cable for a 15 meter run to my projector, but for my interconnects between my components, I use monoprice. I've tried much more expensive cables for the shorter runs and there was zero difference that I could tell using video test patterns. I would suggest saving some money and try a cheaper solution.

David Vaughn

Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer

Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 5382 Old 08-26-2008, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by corentin View Post

Dave, could you please comment on the SC-09's audio quality compared to denon 5308 and yamaha Z11? Your experience as a professional reviewer would be much appreciated

I've only tested the Z-11, not the 5308 (although I did review the Denon 4308). Frankly, they all sound very good. If price were no object, I would choose the Pioneer due to its overall features, but then again, I haven't used the 5308 so my mind could change.

Also, not being able to switch "on the fly" between each of the AVRs makes a comparison very tough to do after so much time has elapsed between the reviews.

David Vaughn

post #453 of 5382 Old 08-26-2008, 08:03 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks a lot for your input Dave. I expected the pioneer to be leaps and bounds ahead in terms of sound quality. Interesting!
In your experience, which one is the most laid-back sounding(less bright) amp, the z11, the sc-09 or the denon 4308?
Again, thanks in advance
post #454 of 5382 Old 08-26-2008, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by nippon View Post

My Lx-90 is coming on Thursday. I was almost one month since I order it.
I know it's a bit off topic but whcih HDMI cable short length do you recommand for it.
I have already a SUPRA cable of 10m to my projector but I would like to upgrade the one between my blue ray player and the LX-90. I need only one meter so I can take higher quality (especialy for the audio).
I don't know what's the best cable for audio
I am thinking the FURUTECH xv1.4
Wireworld ultraviolet or AUDIOQUEST HDMI 1.
They are all around 250$.

Dave, which cable did you use to make your review?

Thanks

There's no need to spend a lot of money on a 1m cable. In a recent Audioholics shootout (using $200K test gear), most of the ones tested far exceeded the required bandwidth at that length. Anything rated for HDMI 1.3 bandwidth should be fine. As the length got longer in the test, differences started showing up but there appears to be no correlation with price. The Monoprice cables ($10 for 2m, $41 for 8m) outperformed cables costing hundreds or even thousands of dollars.

http://www.audioholics.com/education...le-bench-tests
http://www.monoprice.com/products/su...02&cp_id=10240

Dennis H
post #455 of 5382 Old 08-26-2008, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by corentin View Post

Thanks a lot for your input Dave. I expected the pioneer to be leaps and bounds ahead in terms of sound quality. Interesting!
In your experience, which one is the most laid-back sounding(less bright) amp, the z11, the sc-09 or the denon 4308?
Again, thanks in advance

I wouldn't call any of them bright at all..all have a warm signature to them. Before room correction, the Pioneer was a bit muddy in the midrange, but that has more to do with my room than anything else.

The Denon is the best value price/performace, but if I had to choose between the three without considering price, I would go Pioneer, then Denon, then Yamaha. My biggest beef with the Yamaha is that it corrupts the HDMI signal (their passthrough isn't a true passthrough), where the Denon and the Pioneer both pass the signal unmolested. SQ wise, I like all three of them, but I would bet that the Pioneer has much greater power, but won't know for sure until it I get the bench report (should post with the review).

David Vaughn

post #456 of 5382 Old 08-26-2008, 04:27 PM

Are you referring to 0-255 / 16-235 colour spaces? If so, I thought I read somewhere that Yamaha had the problem solved via a firmware update. Buit maybe there's another issue with this unit and HDMI switching?
post #457 of 5382 Old 08-26-2008, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member

The unit I had wasn't upgraded yet with a new firmware, but this was earlier this year. Maybe they have updated it after my review, but at the time, they didn't see what the big deal was! If that's fixed, then the AVR becomes more likable. Although, if you need video processing (or want it), the Denon 5308CI is the best choice. (I personally don't use any of the video processing in my pre/pro...it is set to through).

David Vaughn

post #458 of 5382 Old 08-27-2008, 05:06 AM

Thanks for your reply Dave.

What about the power cable? What do you use/recommand?
I will use mainly the LX-90 for audio SACD JAZZ and Classic.

I have a Linn cable but I was thinking wireworld.
post #459 of 5382 Old 08-27-2008, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Use what you feel comfortable with. I would also test them out and see if they make a big difference in the sound (blind). Put a friend to work changing cables having you pick which one sounds the best (even the stock one). You may be surprised by the outcome once the placebo effect is taken away.

David Vaughn

post #460 of 5382 Old 08-27-2008, 11:36 AM

Hello guys,

I'm new at this.
For some time now I'm working on the construction of a new HT room in my old farmhouse in the North of the Netherlands, all wooden walls and sealing, the floor will be made of ceramic tiles (floor heating). Next week I will start ordering the electronics. It will be, apart of the sub's, an all Pioneer set-up including the speakers (2x S-1EX-W in front, 1x S-7EX-W centre and 4x S-3EX-W's as surrounds. The beast that drives it all will be the SC-LX90.
Thanks to you guys I learned a lot about LX90 and it's pro's and con's. However I'm not clear about the quality of the subwoofer set-up/ EQ.
I will be using 2x SVS PB13-ultra's for the low end. This thread and the Manuel doesn't give me sufficient insight..
Will the LX90's MCACC be able to properly EQ these units or do I need additional EQ equipment to get a flat curve (like the velodyne SMS-1).
Since your guy's are way ahead of me in the experience curve, I thought I ask for your opinions.
Thanks in advance, Wim
post #461 of 5382 Old 08-27-2008, 01:36 PM

I've actually wondered the same thing about subwoofer setup.

BTW, I'm totally envious of your speaker setup... the Pioneer/TAD/EX speakers are quite impressive. They probably don't get the respect they deserve since they are branded as "Pioneer." Check out the owners thread, here, which sure could use more owners posting on it.
post #462 of 5382 Old 08-27-2008, 05:17 PM

I bought a SMS-1, I am waiting until I receive it
It should be a good combo with the LX-90
post #463 of 5382 Old 08-28-2008, 06:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by WimdeGier View Post

..Will the LX90’s MCACC be able to properly EQ these units or do I need additional EQ equipment to get a flat curve (like the velodyne SMS-1).
Since your guy’s are way ahead of me in the experience curve, I thought I ask for your opinions. Thanks in advance, Wim

Welcome!

MCACC will set your subs' levels, delay & distances but not actually EQ them. Also, it sets each sub independently so each one will have its own setting. That is a new feature that the previous 4 yr old flagship did not have. You'll also have the option to turn on/off their standing wave filters & phase control which effects how all the speakers blend.

Of course, MCACC does EQ all the other speakers in 9 bands from 63hz-16khz

To actually EQ the subs in your room, you'll need a separate equalizer like the Velodyne SMS-1. Some recommend using a Behringer Feedback Destroyer (high learning curve) or a parametric EQ like a Rane, but I'd highly recommend the SMS-1, since its the same as in Velo's DD subs & it's relatively easy to learn & use. Gives excellent results + on screen display of the response curve, filters, settings.

ss9001

Steve
post #464 of 5382 Old 08-28-2008, 08:35 AM

Thanks ss9001,

I thought is would be the answer. So I have to spend some more euro's for a couple of SMS-1's.
Better to do it good than be sorry later. Next week I'm going to order the gear.
post #465 of 5382 Old 08-28-2008, 09:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WimdeGier View Post

Thanks ss9001,

I thought is would be the answer. So I have to spend some more euro's for a couple of SMS-1's.
Better to do it good than be sorry later. Next week I'm going to order the gear.

Good news for you - you only need 1 SMS-1 One unit will handle up to 3 subs. What the unit will do is EQ the *combined* output of all subs at the same time. Any speakers you set to Large, will also add a bass component so should be measured at the same time as the subs. What gets plugged into the unit is the LFE from the receiver. But if you want any full range speakers that you've set to "large" to be included in the measurements, just make sure they are turned on and play the freq sweep tones along with your subs. Instructions are pretty detailed on what to do, and Velodyne's Curt monitors the Velodyne owners thread on this forum pretty closely, answers questions & you can call him directly for setup help.

Have fun!

ss9001

Steve
post #466 of 5382 Old 08-29-2008, 11:06 AM

Liked: 11
Is it possible for me to add an extension to the SC09TX's setup mic without any compromises?

My equipment room is about 40 feet away from my theater so I have no choice either way but just want to make sure before I order a cable.
post #467 of 5382 Old 08-29-2008, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Collin,

This is just a guess, but I doubt you would have a problem. I bet Radio Shack has what you would need (and they have a GREAT return policy).

David Vaughn

post #468 of 5382 Old 08-29-2008, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

^^
Hi Dave,

Do you think your review will be up by the holiday weekend or is Ultimate AV going to make us wait another week?

ss9001

Steve
post #469 of 5382 Old 08-29-2008, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

SS,

Hopefully it goes up soon...I finished writing it nearly 2 weeks ago, but when the editor goes on vacation, there isn't much I can do. My guess would be we wouldn't see it until early next week, but I could be surprised and have it pop up sooner than that.

Sorry for the delay.

David Vaughn

post #470 of 5382 Old 08-29-2008, 01:07 PM

I am bit confused, can we play FLAC files with Susano / SC09 / SC-LX90? Sorry if this has been already answered, but I cannot find a clear response. Thank you !!
post #471 of 5382 Old 08-29-2008, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

FLAC isn't supported. It's pretty much the only audio file that isn't. When I spoke with their head of Audio marketing, he specifically mentioned this.

David Vaughn

post #472 of 5382 Old 08-29-2008, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I'm confused about FLAC too. The manual says it's supported. Just guessing but I think the catch is it uses Windows Media Player as the server so you need to get WMP playing FLAC before the receiver can play it. Most people using FLAC don't mess with WMP much so they've never installed the codec and had WMP scan the FLAC files into its library.

Of course, if you're using a Squeezebox Duet, the whole issue is moot. No slow onscreen scrolling for me, thanks.

Dennis H
post #473 of 5382 Old 08-30-2008, 06:04 PM

Hi everyone,

My Sc-09TX is officially ordered, expected in ~10 days, so I wanted to join in. My theater area is already configured, with a Pioneer PDP-1150HD, PS3, HD-A2, Monster AVS-2000 and HTPS 7000. I have a full 6.1 set of Boston Acoustics VRi in-wall speakers. My big challenge is subwoofer placement, as I have an irregular room with "bass-challenged" main speakers. I have been using a Polk Audio PSW-1000 with good results, but will eventually use that SW in a different room with a full set of Polk LSi's. I will need to add a subwoofer, perhaps two, preferably in-wall, to match the Bostons already installed. Any suggestions?

KDD
post #474 of 5382 Old 09-01-2008, 05:24 AM

audio magazine (audio.de) ....

SCLX90 has reached a total of 113 points.... 110 for Z11 , 108 for Denon....

105 points in stereo ,115 in surround 120 in hd-surround

Very positive test even if the price in germany is 7000 euros

Measurements
In stereo mode 260/350 watt (8/4 Ohms)
5 channel mode 250/260 watt ..if i remember correctly
post #475 of 5382 Old 09-01-2008, 05:45 AM

For me the main reason not to buy Susano is cd playback...

Not having PQLS over HDMI in conjuction with no ilink in their flagship BD player...

Surely this will change but i wonder if it will only need a firmware upgrade...
post #476 of 5382 Old 09-01-2008, 07:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

^^
But, it still does have a jitter-reduction circuit tied into the sampling rate converter for all inputs. And Ilink & HDMI are on the same circuit board, so maybe there's more to it than the marketing blurbs suggest.

Personally, I wouldn't let CD playback be a fundamental reason not to buy the AVR. If anything, the sampling upconversion should help tame CD's.

ss9001

Steve
post #477 of 5382 Old 09-01-2008, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Anyone using the Pio 09 with Paradigm Signature S8's? Wondering how this combination would sound before I jump in! Thanks

I miss the rosewood sides on the old Pioneer Elite equipment!

Blu-ray - 576

HD DVD - 81

post #478 of 5382 Old 09-01-2008, 06:03 PM

Hi,

Is someone from Pioneer reading this forum?

I am ripping CDs with Winamp and have choosen the m4a file format with LC-AAC encoding.

The winamp AAC encoder is from Coding Technologies which belongs to Dolby Laboratories. I would expect this encoder to be supported but my SC-09TX receiver display a small yellow exclamation mark beside my m4a file.

Have someone here have been able to play m4a AAC file on the SC-09TX?
Which AAC encoders are known to be compatible with the SC-09TX?

Thank you,
post #479 of 5382 Old 09-01-2008, 07:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by lano1106 View Post

Hi,

Is someone from Pioneer reading this forum?

I am ripping CDs with Winamp and have choosen the m4a file format with LC-AAC encoding.

The winamp AAC encoder is from Coding Technologies which belongs to Dolby Laboratories. I would expect this encoder to be supported but my SC-09TX receiver display a small yellow exclamation mark beside my m4a file.

Have someone here have been able to play m4a AAC file on the SC-09TX?
Which AAC encoders are known to be compatible with the SC-09TX?

Thank you,

What bit rate are you at? There is a bit rate cap of 320kbps with AAC...
post #480 of 5382 Old 09-02-2008, 01:11 AM

I have the test of audio.de at home it is 8/4 ohm 248/362w stereo and 5 channel 252/267w

105 stereo 120 surround 125 hd

[in the world of of av-vollamps there is no combi of power ,competen ,and sound balandse ,there is no competition fore the sc-lx 90 ] [translate]

Next week i wil get Stereoplay.de and will give a update about this
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page