Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 5383 Old 06-10-2008, 08:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 View Post

Hey Everyone. Not much activity the past week so any updates?

I have one - last Sunday afternoon I got geeky & created a spreadsheet with all the SC-09's MCACC EQ settings & channel levels to compare with the 59TXi's settings.

One major difference is the channel levels...the SC-09 sets all of them exactly 6 dB lower than what the 59TXi did. Either Pioneer is adjusting to a lower overall reference level or the test tones are 6 dB louder. Since the SC-09's test tones all seem louder to me, especially the subs, which is noticeably louder, I think Pioneer must have set the calibration tone levels 6 dB louder for some reason.

I was very curious since my sub output is a lot different, -9 dB with the SC-09 vs. -1.5 dB with the 59TXi with no change in the subs' volumes and couldn't understand why.

With All Channels Adjust mode, Pioneer retained independant calibration of each speaker, but with Symmetry, it really means symmetry: opposing pairs are EQ'd with indentical settings.

What I'm going to do next is create my own MCACC preset using the 59TXi's settings as a "house" curve, and see how it sounds compared to the Symmetry & All Channels Adjust presets.

I attached my spreadsheet including graphing the results if anyone was interested.

While not in geek mode, I've been just listening, watching, and enjoying. I hope everyone is doing the same. No problems to report.

George, any update on your phono?

ss9001
Steve

Hi:
I have not done much with the phono issues. I just decided to sell the phono. Later, i will be getting anothe phono anyway.
gto
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 5383 Old 06-10-2008, 08:39 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Omoregie View Post

Hi:
I have not done much with the phono issues. I just decided to sell the phono. Later, i will be getting anothe phono anyway.
gto

George,

Sorry to hear it didn't get resolved, did you try another phono in the near term, just to make sure it was not the Pio?

[Sorry to go off topic on an Owner's issue in an owner's thread ]

Tim
Selling Anthem PVA7.
STABILITY + Superior audio (SC09-TX) + Incredible picture (VPL-VW200) + good integration.
post #183 of 5383 Old 06-12-2008, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudolpht View Post

George,

Sorry to hear it didn't get resolved, did you try another phono in the near term, just to make sure it was not the Pio?

[Sorry to go off topic on an Owner's issue in an owner's thread ]

A couple of days ago, I too kthe phono to Radio Shack, I got no sound.
I just went to an Elite dealer to look at some Sony and Denon brand. I will be picking one phono up very soon.
Do you have an old phono in good working order I could steal from you cheapl $?

I have lots of suggestion regarding the Media Gallery issu part of the 9TX. It is too limited.
If I can get a pioneer tech support directly responsible for the Media Gallery in this 9TX, I will not hesitate to write or send my impressions to this group of Engineers. It s*cks.
I connected my USB- WD my book, fine it sees it. In this device, I have over 815 tracks of audio.
I have to go thru each track to go to "say " # 810.
There is no page up, page down, go to certain # in the list.

this WD my book also has firewire input, 9tx sees it, as 1394, but could not load or display the contents. The display of contents works with only USB interface.
The "Tools" menu could be expanded or improved to let users more flexibility when it comes to navigation.
I must say, I have another 1394 HD DVR,(RCA2160) it was seen by the receiver so is the JVC D-VHS VCR.

George T. Omoregie.
post #184 of 5383 Old 06-12-2008, 06:52 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Do you have an old phono in good working order I could steal from you cheapl $?

I have lots of suggestion regarding the Media Gallery issu part of the 9TX. It is too limited....

I must say, I have another 1394 HD DVR,(RCA2160) it was seen by the receiver so is the JVC D-VHS VCR.

George T. Omoregie.

George,

I have way too many legacy devices, but a good working phono is not one of them, unfortunately.

I agree HMG is not THE solution for networked media, but I was used to that on the Elite Blu-ray players.

On the D-VHS on firewire, I'm surprised (more surprised if you get the streams of audio plus video to work that way. I didn't try that or the big Sony firewire DVD jukebox, because I just assumed it wouldn't work...

Tim
Selling Anthem PVA7.
STABILITY + Superior audio (SC09-TX) + Incredible picture (VPL-VW200) + good integration.
post #185 of 5383 Old 06-12-2008, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 286
Quote:

A couple of days ago, I too kthe phono to Radio Shack, I got no sound.
I just went to an Elite dealer to look at some Sony and Denon brand. I will be picking one phono up very soon.
Do you have an old phono in good working order I could steal from you cheapl $?...
I have lots of suggestion regarding the Media Gallery issu part of the 9TX. It is too limited.
George T. Omoregie.

George,
I've got a 70's era Dual 1229 TT, but several yrs ago it took a fall & landed on top of the tonearm (OUCH). I think one of the knife-edge gimbal bearings is flatspotted because it skips. Someone could probably repair it but it may not be worth the cost. It's pretty complex mechanically. I was going to put up on ebay for parts but haven't bothered yet. I replaced it 2 yrs ago with a Music Hall MMF7. Very nice cost effective "audiophile" TT, but still not cheap. I use a 80's era Dual 505 & the Music Hall.

I don't know the $$ range u are looking at, but u might want to check out the Music Halls & Projects. Made in Czech. by same company & use same parts. Project builds the MH's to their specs, so designs are a little different. One of the lower cost MH's or Projects will be about $400 or so, but come all set up with Goldring cartridges. These are simple belt drive decks, which means they are easy to use, and maintain.

One source for Music Hall that discounts is:

http://www.underwoodhifi.com/ Walter Liederman is owner; lives in metro-Atlanta, does internet sales. He used to be a part owner of the Hi-Fi Buys mega audio/video stores in GA before they sold out to Tweeter. Nice gentleman, definitely does deals.

You could get yours repaired, there was a shop in South Carolina, http://www.theturntablefactory.com/ The owner was a very nice guy named Joel, apparently well respected for his work. I talked to him several times. He passed away last yr. but his business may still be operating under his partner. Another repair shop I stumbled across was http://www.turntablerepair.com/ in Chicago.

There are some nice Denons & Technics still being made & I've read good stuff on the Technics 1200 deck but I don't have any personal experience with these. If u like simplicity, very low rumble/noise levels, good sound and don't mind manual cueing & lifting, Music Halls are a good bargain.

ss9001

Steve
post #186 of 5383 Old 06-13-2008, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer View Post

...My main gripe is the lack of on screen info and volume..

Thanks to Shutterman & dbgrayson in the SC-07, etc thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post14075735

Apparently, Pioneer allows for OSD on monitor output of a lot of info, including volume, surround modes, using SR+ connection to their plasmas. I've been so focused on sound setup, basic functionality, connections, etc. that I hadn't seriously studied some of these other features especially since I don't have a Kuro (yet). It's on pages 76 & 104 in our manual.

It looks like this may apply only to Pio plasmas & there's a statement that the AVR is compatible with SR+ plasmas from 2003 on. It may be remotely possible it could work with a different display that uses a SR control connection. Don't know. I don't have a 3 ring miniplug cable with the length to try it. A call to Pioneer may be in order to see if somehow we can get an OSD w/o a Pio-plaz display.

We used to have an OSD of surround modes, audio parameter options (but not volume) with the older flagship.

Looks like Pioneer engineered & bundled certain features to help sell AVR's, players & plasmas as a package.

ss9001
Steve

Steve
post #187 of 5383 Old 06-13-2008, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 395 Post(s)
Liked: 441
Quote:

Thanks to Shutterman & dbgrayson in the SC-07, etc thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post14075735

Apparently, Pioneer allows for OSD on monitor output of a lot of info, including volume, surround modes, using SR+ connection to their plasmas. I've been so focused on sound setup, basic functionality, connections, etc. that I hadn't seriously studied some of these other features especially since I don't have a Kuro (yet). It's on pages 76 & 104 in our manual.

It looks like this may apply only to Pio plasmas & there's a statement that the AVR is compatible with SR+ plasmas from 2003 on. It may be remotely possible it could work with a different display that uses a SR control connection. Don't know. I don't have a 3 ring miniplug cable with the length to try it. A call to Pioneer may be in order to see if somehow we can get an OSD w/o a Pio-plaz display.

We used to have an OSD of surround modes, audio parameter options (but not volume) with the older flagship.

Looks like Pioneer engineered & bundled certain features to help sell AVR's, players & plasmas as a package.

ss9001
Steve

Steve.. it really looks as if the machine is bypassing the video generator of the receiver on all outputs (except the SR+ solution..) While I appreciate this purist form of thinking, it makes the usability suck...

It became more frustrating the other day when I finally hooked up component for my Directv box and Oppo DVD (btw.. the picture from the DVD upscaled 480i to 1080p is stunning )... I could finally access the Video Parameters... but I could only see what I was adjusting on the receivers display. Really head scratching.. Almost every device out there has to overlay a menu... my projector doesn't look worse for it, not my Blu Ray, etc.... I'll just never be able to agree with anyone that this is a good design... I would even accept a mirrored output of what is feeding the display on the unit over SVid or Composite for an external monitor..

That being said... after a couple more days of viewing and listening, the picture coming out of it looks great, and the sound is easily the best I've had in my room, bar none... It really reminds me of the Anthem D2, but I have to say I am more impressed with the SC09's amps than the A5 I had with that combo.... effortless and powerful, with non-fatiguing high end and controlled, authoritative low end.
post #188 of 5383 Old 06-15-2008, 05:40 PM
AVS Club Gold

Well, another glitch that I thought had been fixed after full setup.

I had a yankering to play the extended edition of LOTR on my HDMI XA2. No picture. Went to my 59 DVi, and it worked great (DTS ES Discrete 6.1 via I-Link) but because I'm using HDMI, no scaling/deinterlacing (need to change it over to component). We'll picture was not too good (not expection miracles from DVD on a 123" screen, but still.

So I went to try a HD DVD on the XA2. No picture. Hey, what gives. Check cable ends then checked setup. The HDMI connector was listed as none. Fixed that and back running (XA2 upconversion looking pretty good).

So one more nagging issue.

Tim
Selling Anthem PVA7.
post #189 of 5383 Old 06-15-2008, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Maybe the HDMI connector had come slightly loose or lost some connectivity due to movement. While it's never happened to me yet, I've read where it's possible & that's one reason the custom installer folks don't like HDMI - customer callbacks.

If I understand your symptoms correctly, Tim, that the XA2 had no video on both a DVD & HD-DVD, then cable connection problem seems to be a likely culprit. If you were trying to watch upconverted DVD at 1080p over component, I think the XA2 does a "No can do". Also, I'm assuming the mode switch at the back of the player didn't get changed from Mode 2 either. Mode 1 turns off HDMI.

Last week I tried the SC-09's converter from the 59AVI from its components outs to the 09's HDMI out (instead of using the 59AVI's own HDMI connection) - just experimenting around.
When the player was set to 480p & I set the 09's HDMI scaler to 1080i, most motion in the video was jerky. I couldn't believe this was what Pioneer intended it to look like, so I tried setting the player to 480i, and the jerkiness disappeared. So I learned that going from interlaced to progressive & back to interlaced is not a good idea with the 09

Also, when using the player's components & 480p progressive is On, the only settings available to adjust in the 09's converter are rez & aspect. All the others are not accessible. When the player is set to 480i, all the other settings, brightness, etc, become accessible over the components.

If I were trying to scale DVD from the 59's component outs to 1080p over HDMI using the 09, I'd suggest turning progressive off, and let the player just pass 480i to the 09's scaler.

Hope this helps in some way.
ss9001

Steve
post #190 of 5383 Old 06-15-2008, 06:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Today, I tried Home Media Gallery & got it set up on my network. I have nothing to compare this with as I've never used a media server or media player device before. I'm not a music file fanatic. I guess I'm old-fashioned but I'm a disc man.

Anyway, I thought it was pretty neat, altho I understand why George with 800+ songs thought navigation was a chore. I tried it with photos and I had over 1500 pics on my PC Good news is they're organized into directories by trip/location/topic. And you can browse folders with Home Media Gallery. So I guess part of the answer is organization.

For George wanting a Page up/down function, there are discrete IR codes for paging in the SC-09 pronto ccf file on Pioneer's custom install webpage. Unfortunately, the remote doesn't have paging buttons. Also unfortunately, the software for the URC MX3000 remote can only accept codes from a ccf file only if they are codes actually learned from a remote. I tried it and the codes didn't work on the MX3000 because they were probably entered as hex into the pronto software.

Now I'm interested in music file serving and pic slideshows on my display!!
I may be asking for help with using a PC as media server.

Steve
post #191 of 5383 Old 06-15-2008, 09:12 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Maybe the HDMI connector had come slightly loose or lost some connectivity due to movement. While it's never happened to me yet, I've read where it's possible & that's one reason the custom installer folks don't like HDMI - customer callbacks.
ss9001

It's possible. I think it's more likely, since I leave the player on all the time, when switching devices the Pio "lost" the HDMI connection when switching back to the source.

Mon I'm going to try to integrate an open box 40 GB PS3 as a primary Blu-ray player, so I could have HMG on the 09, HMG on my BDP-HD1, and more "stuff" on the PS3, and I'm old fashioned too.

On the 59, I only go 480i out. I did go back and check on component, and I had it set to "through" so my projector was deinterlacing and scaling. Fliped the Qdeo conversion to 1080p and picture is great, would say better than the XA2 and more tweakable.

Tim
Selling Anthem PVA7.
post #192 of 5383 Old 06-16-2008, 06:54 PM

Quote:

I also forgot to mention that I gave THX Loudness Plus a try... much more transparent than Audysseys Dynamic EQ..

Do you have experience with Audyssey Dynamic EQ?? What did you think of it? How specifically does THX Loudness Plus compare? Does THX Loudness Plus work on all sources including music?

Quote:

Just a tip: On broadcast sources, turn Dolby DRC on.. with Dolby Digital broadcast sources (most stations nowadays) if they used a dial norm of -27, it will work wonders for your wife's request, and make your wife a happier camper (we will never make them 100% content.)

I know that Dynamic Range Control (DRC) is a form of volume control... how does this work? Does this eliminate loud commercials? Does it work well on movies to keep the volume more consistent? How would you compare it to a midnight listening mode? What is the exact setting that you are using for DRC -- MID or MAX? Supposedly AUTO only works on Dolby TrueHD (according to manual).

Sorry for all the questions... I really want one of the new Elites (that all have this DRC feature), but I do live in an appartment and cannot crank the volume up and it's very annoying to constantly adjust the volume to be able to hear everything while not being excessively loud. I'm also considering the new Denons with the Audyssey Volume and Dynamic EQ. I greatly prefer Pioneer, but depending on how THX Loudness Plus and DRC work compared to the new Audyessy technologies I may have to go with a Denon.

Thanks for any and all help.
post #193 of 5383 Old 06-18-2008, 09:33 AM

Has anyone been able to ascertain what FW version these first models have?

(Mine will arrive in mid July which should be enough time to get the room done first )

According to the manual:
-----------------------------------------
Confirming the existing Home Media Gallery
version
Be sure to check the version of the software you are using
before updating the software. You can check it with the
following procedure.
1 Press HOME MEDIA GALLERY.
The Home Media Gallery screen is displayed.
2 Select ‘Setup’ (/ then ENTER).
3 Select ‘Home Media Gallery Version’ (/ then
ENTER).
Jot down the Home Media Gallery Version displayed in
the screen.
Ex.) software Version: 1.0.xxxAVR
4 Select ‘OK’ to return to the previous screen (ENTER).
-----------------------------------------

This is only for the Home Media Gallery but that should be indicative of the overall version(s) methinks.
post #194 of 5383 Old 06-21-2008, 05:03 AM
Ran

Hey Guys,

Thanx for all the input you give us on the new Pioneer. I am going to test it out once it arrives here next month and I'll be able to compare it directly with the 94.

Looking at the Sc07 manual I realized that its RC has no Precision distance calibration as does the SC09.
I wonder what effect this has to the overall RC and obviously though the MCACC all look the same the SC09 might be slightly different.

Thanx for any input

Ran
post #195 of 5383 Old 06-21-2008, 06:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragnet View Post

Has anyone been able to ascertain what FW version these first models have?.....This is only for the Home Media Gallery but that should be indicative of the overall version(s) methinks.

Sorry, Dragnet, I missed this question...the Home Media Gallery SW version is 1.0.144AVR which is a different numbering system than what's for the 92/94TXH models.

Pioneer included internet radio in the 94 & SC-07 HMG software, but not in the SC-09. Instead, the 09 gets the ability to play movie files (including HD). I suspect they only have a limited amount of processing power & memory to devote to it, so with the heavy emphasis on HD playback with the SC-09, we got movie file capability.

BTW - for those comparing the 09 to the Denon 5308 & AVP, while Denon has internet radio, neither model can do movie files. So we gave up something, but gained something unique - AFAIK, no other receiver or prepro can play movie files with a built-in media server.

ss9001
Steve

Steve
post #196 of 5383 Old 06-21-2008, 06:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOCCERrebel5 View Post

Do you have experience with Audyssey Dynamic EQ?? What did you think of it? How specifically does THX Loudness Plus compare? Does THX Loudness Plus work on all sources including music? ...I know that Dynamic Range Control (DRC) is a form of volume control... how does this work?...

I'll give this a try....

Personally, I have no experience with Audyssey, but rudolpht has some, so maybe he can address that part of your questions. And I have not tried THX Loudness Plus yet since I normally do not apply THX processing to my decoded audio, but according to the manual...

"THX Loudness Plus is a new volume control technology featured in THX Ultra2 Plus™ and THX Select2 Plus™ Certified receivers. With THX Loudness Plus, home theater audiences can now experience the rich details in a surround mix at any volume level. A consequence of turning the volume below Reference Level is that certain sound elements can be lost or perceived differently by the listener. THX Loudness Plus compensates for the tonal and spatial shifts that occur when the volume is reduced by intelligently adjusting ambient surround channel levels and frequency response. This enables users to experience the true impact of soundtracks regardless of the volume setting. THX Loudness Plus is automatically applied when listening in any THX listening mode. The new THX Cinema, THX Music, and THX Games modes are tailored to apply the proper THX Loudness Plus settings for each type of content"

I think it would be similar to Audyssey's dynamic EQ in compensating freq response & phase information at low volume levels.

I can answer your question on DRC. In lay terms, what it does is make loud sounds softer & soft sounds louder to reduce the differences in volume between the loudest & softest sounds in the soundtrack. It works dynamically, so if all you have is dialog, it will not alter the sound, but as soon as loud music or sound effects start in along with dialog, it compresses the sound so dialog will not be lost. Again, normally I don't use it, preferring to hear what's on the disc unaltered. But I do use on occasion on movies with bombastic soundtracks since my wife has hearing loss & it helps her (me too ). When I do use it, I just set it to MAX for her benefit. Action & LOTR type movies can benefit if you don't like huge differences in sound levels, but with something like dramas - I wouldn't bother.

If you decide to try it, start with MID and if you still find you are still turning volume up & down a lot for your taste, try the MAX setting. It **might** help with commercials, but frankly I just hit MUTE & be done with it

All of the mfgs, Denon, Pioneer, Yamaha, Onkyo, Marantz, have very similar features on compensating for lower volumes. They may use different marketing buz words, but they all do similar things. In your case, I'd be trying Loudness Plus 1st, then DRC, followed by midnite & std loudness controls in that order. With Loudness Plus & THX engaged, you shouldn't need std. bass loudness turned on.

Hope this helps.

ss9001
Steve

Steve
post #197 of 5383 Old 06-21-2008, 10:38 AM

Quote:

I'll give this a try....

Personally, I have no experience with Audyssey, but rudolpht has some, so maybe he can address that part of your questions. And I have not tried THX Loudness Plus yet since I normally do not apply THX processing to my decoded audio, but according to the manual...

"THX Loudness Plus is a new volume control technology featured in THX Ultra2 Plus™ and THX Select2 Plus™ Certified receivers. With THX Loudness Plus, home theater audiences can now experience the rich details in a surround mix at any volume level. A consequence of turning the volume below Reference Level is that certain sound elements can be lost or perceived differently by the listener. THX Loudness Plus compensates for the tonal and spatial shifts that occur when the volume is reduced by intelligently adjusting ambient surround channel levels and frequency response. This enables users to experience the true impact of soundtracks regardless of the volume setting. THX Loudness Plus is automatically applied when listening in any THX listening mode. The new THX Cinema, THX Music, and THX Games modes are tailored to apply the proper THX Loudness Plus settings for each type of content"

I think it would be similar to Audyssey's dynamic EQ in compensating freq response & phase information at low volume levels.

I can answer your question on DRC. In lay terms, what it does is make loud sounds softer & soft sounds louder to reduce the differences in volume between the loudest & softest sounds in the soundtrack. It works dynamically, so if all you have is dialog, it will not alter the sound, but as soon as loud music or sound effects start in along with dialog, it compresses the sound so dialog will not be lost. Again, normally I don't use it, preferring to hear what's on the disc unaltered. But I do use on occasion on movies with bombastic soundtracks since my wife has hearing loss & it helps her (me too ). When I do use it, I just set it to MAX for her benefit. Action & LOTR type movies can benefit if you don't like huge differences in sound levels, but with something like dramas - I wouldn't bother.

If you decide to try it, start with MID and if you still find you are still turning volume up & down a lot for your taste, try the MAX setting. It **might** help with commercials, but frankly I just hit MUTE & be done with it

All of the mfgs, Denon, Pioneer, Yamaha, Onkyo, Marantz, have very similar features on compensating for lower volumes. They may use different marketing buz words, but they all do similar things. In your case, I'd be trying Loudness Plus 1st, then DRC, followed by midnite & std loudness controls in that order. With Loudness Plus & THX engaged, you shouldn't need std. bass loudness turned on.

Hope this helps.

ss9001
Steve

Steve,

Thank you very much for your info. It does help. The THX Loudness Plus - Audyssey Dynamic EQ comparison makes complete sense to me. To clarify, it sounds from your post that DRC has a similar effect to dynamic volume...

Both are dynamic and reduce dramatic volume differences in material. It sounds like Audyssey Dynamic Volume may be more advanced than DRC as far as optimizing the dynamic range while attepting to keep the volume level consistent... but maybe not. It does seem like Dynamic Volume will do a lot more for loud commericials than DRC, but during an actual program the two technologies will have similar effects... please correct me if I presume incorrectly.

When you have DRC set to MAX and are watching TV or a movie, does it allow you to watch without having to adjust the volume? I.e. does it attenuate loud commercials and allow you to hear all of the sounds in a movie (even at lower volumes) by keeping all sounds closer to a consistent volume level? No more turning the volume up for dialog and then back down when action begins?

I came across the manual for the new Denon 589 (on Denon USA's website) which has the new Audyessey technologies and I noticed that it has both Dynamic Volume and dynamic range compression. Any idea why they include both?

Thanks for all of your help.
Evan

P.S. If you wouldn't mind trying out THX Loudness Plus and letting me know what you thought about it, I'd greatly appreciate it.
post #198 of 5383 Old 06-22-2008, 09:28 AM

Quote:

Today, I tried Home Media Gallery & got it set up on my network. I have nothing to compare this with as I've never used a media server or media player device before. I'm not a music file fanatic. I guess I'm old-fashioned but I'm a disc man.

Anyway, I thought it was pretty neat, altho I understand why George with 800+ songs thought navigation was a chore. I tried it with photos and I had over 1500 pics on my PC Good news is they're organized into directories by trip/location/topic. And you can browse folders with Home Media Gallery. So I guess part of the answer is organization.

For George wanting a Page up/down function, there are discrete IR codes for paging in the SC-09 pronto ccf file on Pioneer's custom install webpage. Unfortunately, the remote doesn't have paging buttons. Also unfortunately, the software for the URC MX3000 remote can only accept codes from a ccf file only if they are codes actually learned from a remote. I tried it and the codes didn't work on the MX3000 because they were probably entered as hex into the pronto software.

Now I'm interested in music file serving and pic slideshows on my display!!
I may be asking for help with using a PC as media server.

Hi:
I finished the first part of ripping some of my Cds to a WD 750 gig Hard Drive.
Well, The Gallery function is so boring that I hesitate using it. I also found some quirks with the cursor movement.
At times, when an mp3 track is playing, using the cursor to move to the next track(meaning stopping the curreently playing track) is not possible. 80% of the time, it will not play the next track, However, if you move next to the following track, it will play. Even this is not guarranteed as I spent almost all day playing with the gallery features.
The sound it produced is excellent, though, but the features are not flexible. I have written a long list of suggestions to the Engineers at Pioneer, if an update to the gallery software can be feasible.
As an "Aside", I connected the 9tx with my USB to the Directv HR21 with a USB, it looks like the 9tx does not even know it is there. (just testing to find the week point of the receiver)
I finally wrote Pioneer of my detailed experience with lots of suggestions.
I do not know if I will get a response on this.

On the issue of the failed Phono, I am going to get a Denon top line locally within the next week or two.

Thanks everyone who suggested helping me.
gto
post #199 of 5383 Old 06-26-2008, 11:28 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
The back panel of the avr allows for 4 ohm speakers only at R1 and L1. The remainder of the 8 channels are 6 ohm or above.

I have three M&K S-150 (l/c/r) and 6 M&K SS-150. They are all 4 ohm THX cutting off at 80 Hz.

Would this really be a problem using these speakers?

Any thoughts on this?
post #200 of 5383 Old 06-26-2008, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'm using 4 ohm speakers on all channels...no problems. Amps may work a little harder but I've had no problems using the same speakers with 3 Pioneer Elite flagships, including this one. And mine are less efficient than your M&K's, so will take even more juice to drive. If anything, I would think the ice amps will be more tolerant than the conventional amps. Especially since you will be crossing them over to a sub at 80 hz.

ss9001

Steve
post #201 of 5383 Old 06-26-2008, 02:38 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
ss9001

Thanks for some real world information/affirmation. If there are any others, it would be good to hear from you. I'm slowly talking my way into this one.

I had emailed Pioneer the same question, and was told my speakers didn't conform to their specs, so they wouldn't work. Deep down, I expected that to be the company answer.

I had asked a salesman, at a high end store, the same question, and he assured it would be okay, because the specs are supposedly conservative. However, he was a salesman and I was a potential customer on a high end item. You do the math.

I can't believe that 4 ohms is spec'd out for a Denon and not Pioneer.
post #202 of 5383 Old 06-29-2008, 09:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudolpht View Post

It's possible. I think it's more likely, since I leave the player on all the time, when switching devices the Pio "lost" the HDMI connection when switching back to the source...

I just had a similar moment. Several days ago I was changing some settings & accidently hit the HDMI Out button. Really didn't remember what it did, so went on with my business.

And hadn't used any HDMI inputs until today & nothing worked. Tried switching the HDMI output several times and still nothing worked. I ended up unplugging & re-plugging everything and while checking the status monitor, the HDMI out showed as -----so I knew I was in HDMI 2 when I need to be 1. This time, when I hit the output button it restored the output. My guess is since I use DVI, it didn't re-sync up when output was changed back. Re-seating the cables may not have been necessary, but at least it worked!!

The joys of HDMI continue...

ss9001
Steve

Steve
post #203 of 5383 Old 06-29-2008, 09:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Looks like Dragnet will be joining the ranks of owners soon. Congratulations and please let us know how it goes. Photos are welcome

We need to give the Denon gang some competition.
ss9001
Steve

Steve
post #204 of 5383 Old 06-29-2008, 11:19 AM

The Ice Man cameth for me last Wednesday. Quinn the Eskimo dropped off a very large block of ice. And since the delivery truck wasn't refrigerated, I was wondering if the ice modules would melt or not. Did anyone have any problems with their ice melting before receiving it? I wonder if this would be considered a warranty issue? Hehehehehe.....
post #205 of 5383 Old 06-29-2008, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Eddie View Post

The Ice Man cameth for me last Wednesday. Quinn the Eskimo dropped off a very large block of ice. And since the delivery truck wasn't refrigerated, I was wondering if the ice modules would melt or not. Did anyone have any problems with their ice melting before receiving it? I wonder if this would be considered a warranty issue? Hehehehehe.....

Mine arrived last Monday. The ice hadn't melted, but between Pioneer's totally lame packaging and the usual UPS mis-handling, I sent it back without unwrapping the beast. What the hell is Pioneer thinking packaging a $7000 receiver no differently than their $100 players?

Hopefully, the dealer's new stock arrives as scheduled and I receive it (intact this time) by the end of this week. In the mean time, can anyone post a picture of the remote?
post #206 of 5383 Old 06-29-2008, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbawilly View Post

Mine arrived last Monday. The ice hadn't melted, but between Pioneer's totally lame packaging and the usual UPS mis-handling, I sent it back without unwrapping the beast. What the hell is Pioneer thinking packaging a $7000 receiver no differently than their $100 players?

Hopefully, the dealer's new stock arrives as scheduled and I receive it (in tact this time) by the end of this week. In the mean time, can anyone post a picture of the remote?

I know what you mean. Mine wasn't even double boxed. And the Pioneer carton looked pretty worn like it had been through the mill several times over. The carton wasn't collapsed, but looked worse for the wear.
post #207 of 5383 Old 06-29-2008, 03:27 PM

Quote:

In the mean time, can anyone post a picture of the remote?

http://www.pioneerelectronics.ca/POC...SC-09TXH.Popup
post #208 of 5383 Old 06-29-2008, 05:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

...I know there's many people who claim Audyessy is better because it's seems to be the most sophisticated system. But you don't read too many posts where MCACC set something weird or made the bass worse, etc. It's simplicity I think is its strength, while how well Audyssey & YPAO work seem to be dependant on various factors. Works well for many, but doesn't for some. Both seem finickier perhaps...

ss9001
Steve

I really hope that my next unit arrives soon, and in one piece this time so that I can offer my take on this subject. I have experience with MCACC in the 59TXi, and more recently in the 94TXH. I experienced Audyssey XT in an Integra 9.8. I was not impressed with Audyssey in the Integra.
post #209 of 5383 Old 06-29-2008, 06:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

..I have experience with MCACC in the 59TXi, and more recently in the 94TXH.

Not exactly to your point, but I just sold my 59Txi on ebay several weeks ago. It was like saying goodbye to a trusty friend (an exaggeration but u get the point). That was a dam nice receiver!

My hope is that the SC-09 will serve equally well for at least as long as the 59 served me.

ss9001
Steve

Steve
post #210 of 5383 Old 06-30-2008, 07:51 AM

[quote=bubbawilly;14186576]I really hope that my next unit arrives soon, and in one piece this time so that I can offer my take on this subject./QUOTE]

It sounds like someone did a real job on it. How bad was it, if you don't mind me asking?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page