AVS Forum banner

Official Pioneer SC-09TX/SC-LX90 Owner's Thread

636K views 5K replies 297 participants last post by  Dragnet 
#1 ·
OK, I'll be the one to start this since I seem to be the 1st one to get the new SC-09TX here on the forum

I've been eagerly waiting for the Susano since the Sept 07 CEDIA announcement, read everything I could on it and Icepower Class D amps. I had preordered it in March it arrived yesterday.

All I've done so far is check out the unit to make sure it wasn't DOA and get used to the display. I haven't hooked up anything to yet and won't be until this weekend.

For those that have & liked the touchscreen remote that came with the previous Elite flagship AVR, the 59TXi, I may have some good news: it found out it works with the SC-09. Pioneer must be using the same IR codes. So far, I've used to to change inputs, surround formats, and change signal sources. I'm willing to bet it can also access MCACC & other settings. So, if you really hate the new remote and are not using a programmable universal remote, there's an another option.

That's all for now. I'm hoping we see other new owners here this week.....

FYI - here are links to the previous speculation pre-announcement & speculation threads:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=904245
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=846136

ss9001

See less See more
#4,564 ·
^^^

that is odd... you don't have it stuffed in somewhere where it's bathing in heat, correct?

"disrupts the movie"... does that mean "i can hear the fan", or does it mean "the audio/video stream is interrupted"?

i never heard the fan on mine... but i have at least one other item in my room (air cleaner) that would drown it out anyway...

#4,565 ·
^^

it's only just started happening, the fan clicks on and i lose audio for a few seconds really anoying, just had new power supply fitted a couple of weeks ago, also can someone tell me what codecs they are using to watch full hd movies from laptop to susano? in dts i can hear some audio when someone is speaking and sometimes without.

it has plenty of air flow and is in a cool room.

#4,566 ·
^^^

that's not so good... have you tried doing a hard reset on the unit? there may be a fault code that needs to be cleared...

can't help with the lappy issue, i only play movies off of shiny disks or streamed from netflix...

#4,568 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayjay75 /forum/post/20508501

^^

it's only just started happening, the fan clicks on and i lose audio for a few seconds really anoying, just had new power supply fitted a couple of weeks ago

sounds suspicious, maybe a short or intermittent contact issue. I'd call your repair shop right away. And it wouldn't hurt to re-check speaker wiring just to make sure the amps aren't being overloaded with an intermittent speaker short from a loose or bare wire touching the chassis.

It may be just a loose fan connector or it could mean something else going on in the amp board that's causing it to kick in & out. I don't know what kind of warranty the repair shop is giving but I wouldn't wait too long

#4,570 ·
^^^

that sounds like a plan to me...

the "audio drop" is what would concern me more than anything else... the fan coming on should be completely separate in terms of "work flow" from audio....

#4,572 ·
yea, that's a drag...
especially after just getting it fixed...

and heck, you should be able to hammer it very hard... i did mine... i know steve does his... and i think most of the owners did...

other than the cool lcd, i think that's why most of us bought it in the first place, it was meant to take a licking and keep on ticking...

#4,576 ·
^^^

yea, it IS a puzzle...

it's sounds like it's throwing an incorrect "overtemp" fault code of some type... but it's very odd that it's not completing the shutdown sequence that the overtemp fault code should give...

#4,577 ·
a quick update, i phoned the repair shop and told them the problem, he said leave it running idle and see what happens, then this freekin happened a popping sound and a bright flash as the fan come on. god knows what's happened, im thinking it might be my plug lead faulty???? anyway i have dropped it off for them to look at, doesn't sound good does it peeps? i'm not forking out more money i'll just scrap the thing

#4,578 ·
^^

bummer

Maybe the flash & pop really does indicate some type of short that occurred. In that case, the burden may be on the shop since they re-assembled it. Of course, getting them to admit anything that might have been their fault could be another matter. The fact that you promptly reported a problem may be what saves the day.

I feel your pain, kayjay. Don't know what I'd do myself, other than see what they say.

#4,579 ·
^^

on the phone he reckoned it was a fault with my speakers, he'll be phoning later, if he tells me the power supply has gone then i want a free labour and free part as they gave me a 28 day warranty, seems i'm having probs with this all at once. never got any error codes come up.

#4,581 ·
^^^

no...

and no... it has NO return whatsoever.... NONE... how could anyone rational (and who has a cursory understanding of physics and electronics) think otherwise?

for one thing, consider what you are asking. how does, after the electricity has "travelled" (technically, it doesn't "travel", but it's a good enough term for the case at hand) heaven knows how many miles from the generating station to the grid, then dropped from a pole to your house, run through a panel, run through romex to an outlet, somehow become "improved" by the last couple feet of wire? how could this wire have some type of property that could possibly improve the sound?

i could go on, but i won't...

psuedo-scientists need not apply to this discussion... no "psuedo-scientific" leaps of logic allowed...

it DOES have a great "return" to the people who sell them though...

#4,582 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonasandezekial /forum/post/20512227

Hey guys,

Does anyone have any experience with changing the power cable on the 09? I'm looking to upgrade to a high quality power cable to see if it delivers any better performance. Its supposedly the highest return for any cable upgrade. Has anyone done this?

chris is direct to the point as usual

I can only speak for myself, but I remain highly skeptical of power cord claims. No claim I've read has convinced me. And I do have a science & engineer background but not EE, I'm a Chem E by educ.

Of all the cable claims, the ones that I find least believable are power cords for the same reasons as chris posted.

Over the years, I've invested a few thousand dollars on hi-priced Monster connects and speaker cables "just in case" because I "felt better". Usually, I bought them because it was easy & convenient to buy them in a local store when I needed them to install a new component. I don't do this anymore because of personal " I don't hear any difference" experiences.

To me, some of the best proof comes from a well respected, honest company that is in the business of making & selling cables, Blue Jeans Cables. They make all types of cables, including some of the best HDMI cables proven & tested for long runs. They don't sell power cords. Here's a direct quote from their web site:

"Absent some sort of known malfunction, there's very little reason to think that replacement of control or power cables will improve your system's performance at all. There have been a lot of strange claims made in recent years about power cords, and people paying hundreds or even thousands of dollars for them; but the fact is that a power cord, so long as it's well-constructed and undamaged, correctly sized for the load, and driving a reasonably well-designed power supply, should make no difference whatsoever to the sound of your system."

If you can get the power cords with a return policy & have your heart set on trying, OK.

But IMO, money should go for things proven to improve audio, like better speakers & improving room acoustics.

Take the money, invest in room treatments, bass traps, save it for upgrading your speakers or buy content with it. Money far better spent.

In the interest of fair disclosure, I have not ever changed a power cord and never will, so FWIW

I've been down the hi-priced cable road & once you've spent that money, your mind will convince you it made a difference
Only when I had the chance to try them 1st & do some comparisons, did I realize some truths

#4,583 ·
ok the guy at the repair shop has just phoned and has said the amp is fine, i've got to take my speakers and cables in tomorrow to test. He is also leaving the amp running overnight. I asked what was that flash and noise that i heard and he said it must have come from something at the back. He's had the amp a few hours, enough time to take apart and fix any probs if any, what do you reckon? I double checked 10 amp fuse was ok like in the manual and he said it's all protected inside anyway.

#4,584 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj /forum/post/20512376

^^^

no...

and no... it has NO return whatsoever.... NONE... how could anyone rational (and who has a cursory understanding of physics and electronics) think otherwise?

for one thing, consider what you are asking. how does, after the electricity has "travelled" (technically, it doesn't "travel", but it's a good enough term for the case at hand) heaven knows how many miles from the generating station to the grid, then dropped from a pole to your house, run through a panel, run through romex to an outlet, somehow become "improved" by the last couple feet of wire? how could this wire have some type of property that could possibly improve the sound?

i could go on, but i won't...

psuedo-scientists need not apply to this discussion... no "psuedo-scientific" leaps of logic allowed...

it DOES have a great "return" to the people who sell them though...

My house has an extremely antiquated power grid, in desperate need to re-wiring. (Its only 110 wiring, with fuse box, and the wires are jacketed by CLOTH, which is rotting off, instead of any kind of real dialectric.) Granted, I only have a cursory knowledge of electrical theory, and i don't pretend to have all the answers, but the wiring in my house is easily corrupted by CFLs, appliances, etc. When I first installed a power conditioner into my system, the difference was clearly audible, and it was a relatively inexpensive conditioner. I would think that a good power cord would shield your system that much more. If you guys don't agree, thats fine, I welcome any and all opinions.

#4,585 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 /forum/post/20512472

chris is direct to the point as usual

I can only speak for myself, but I remain highly skeptical of power cord claims. No claim I've read has convinced me. And I do have a science & engineer background but not EE, I'm a Chem E by educ.

Yet, one can find many reviews where the reviewer claims multi-hundred to multi-thousand dollar (name your fav brand) cord improves the audio. Of all the cable claims, the ones that I find least believable are power cords for the same reasons as chris posted.

Over the years, I've invested thousands of dollars on hi-priced Monster analog connects and even their former Powerline speaker cables "just in case" because I "felt better". Usually, I bought them because it was easy & convenient to buy them in a local store when I needed them to install a new component. I used to believe. I don't anymore.

True story - when I upgraded my speakers & bought a tube preamp, the dealer, who I was knowledgeable & trustworthy as they come and had a passion for hi-end 2 channel audio, suggested I try out $600 silver Kimber KCAG cables for the preamp and was sure I would hear a difference over my M900 Monsters. But I didn't, couldn't tell one from the other. While I did buy some cheaper normal priced Kimbers from him - that "just in case" feeling again, he was genuinely surprised when I told him the silvers made no difference.

A company like Blue Jeans Cables are where I go now & have for last 5 yrs or so. And they sell all types, including some of the proven best HDMI cables for long runs. But they don't sell power cords
Maybe that says something about their integrity
The owner has based his choice of cable supplier on solid, scientific principles known in electrical circles, like low capacitance, etc.

The choice is yours - if you can get the power cords with a return policy, it might be worth a try.

But IMHO, your money is better spent on better speakers & improving room acoustics. Hands down - proven to be more bang for the buck!!

Take the money, invest in room treatments, bass traps, or save it for upgrading your speakers or buy content with it. Money better spent

My dissertation aside, in the interest of fair disclosure, I have not ever changed a power cord, ever, so......caveat emptor

I definitely agree that the best return on your dollars is spent on speakers or room treatments, hands down. However, Shunyata has done some empirical testing that shows, whether its true or not, that a power cord DOES have an effect on the sound of a system. They've developed some equipment thats able to measure the power immediately available to your speakers as it relates to your power cord. Its shows how a good power cord reduces distortion, and "frees up" more power, faster for amplification. The graphing is pretty interesting, but I'm certainly not totally convinced, just intrigued.

Some of the other claims about power cords that people make can sound like

total hogwash, but this is at least some empirical evidence for claims made.

#4,586 ·
^^^

the shunyata "studies" have been debunked numerous times on this forum...

I'm not expressing "opinion"...

if you want to get the answer you "want" (vs. the truth) the folks at audio asylum will be more than happy to agree with you...

#4,588 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonasandezekial /forum/post/20512580

My house has an extremely antiquated power grid, in desperate need to re-wiring. (Its only 110 wiring, with fuse box, and the wires are jacketed by CLOTH, which is rotting off, instead of any kind of real dialectric.) Granted, I only have a cursory knowledge of electrical theory, and i don't pretend to have all the answers, but the wiring in my house is easily corrupted by CFLs, appliances, etc. When I first installed a power conditioner into my system, the difference was clearly audible, and it was a relatively inexpensive conditioner. I would think that a good power cord would shield your system that much more. If you guys don't agree, thats fine, I welcome any and all opinions.

Take any funds you were considering investing in power cables and put them toward fixing your house wiring. It won't make your system sound better, but it may keep it from burning up in a house fire.

As others have said, upgrading power cables make no sense at all. You would have to replace everything from the generating plant to your house, and inside your house to even begin to consider IF it would improve your sound (it still won't). This is a "weakest link in the chain" situation, so adding one really good link to a bad chain doesn't make the chain stronger.

#4,590 ·

Take any funds you were considering investing in power cables and put them toward fixing your house wiring. It won't make your system sound better, but it may keep it from burning up in a house fire.

You ain't lyin'! As things are, its a kind of "don't overload the circuits" approach. I would think if I had more stability in the current, it might sound better-- during high current demands--like using my home theater while running high energy appliances.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.