AVS Forum banner

Official Pioneer SC-09TX/SC-LX90 Owner's Thread

636K views 5K replies 297 participants last post by  Dragnet 
#1 ·
OK, I'll be the one to start this since I seem to be the 1st one to get the new SC-09TX here on the forum

I've been eagerly waiting for the Susano since the Sept 07 CEDIA announcement, read everything I could on it and Icepower Class D amps. I had preordered it in March it arrived yesterday.

All I've done so far is check out the unit to make sure it wasn't DOA and get used to the display. I haven't hooked up anything to yet and won't be until this weekend.

For those that have & liked the touchscreen remote that came with the previous Elite flagship AVR, the 59TXi, I may have some good news: it found out it works with the SC-09. Pioneer must be using the same IR codes. So far, I've used to to change inputs, surround formats, and change signal sources. I'm willing to bet it can also access MCACC & other settings. So, if you really hate the new remote and are not using a programmable universal remote, there's an another option.

That's all for now. I'm hoping we see other new owners here this week.....

FYI - here are links to the previous speculation pre-announcement & speculation threads:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=904245
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=846136

ss9001

See less See more
#4,671 ·
^^^

i used to live in huntington...
small world...

about a 3 hour drive, barring traffic tragedies on the belt parkway... although, it CAN be made in slightly under 2 hours, i know someone who might have done it...
however, that could also result in making the trip VERY long if you happen to meet up with a friendly nj state trooper along the way...

is one "sufficient"? i'm kinda the wrong person to ask if anything is "sufficient"...

4900 cubes is a lot of space, like we talked about before... you gotta create a ton of sound pressure to fill that room...

that being said, you could always start with one... corner loaded and eq'd, it'd likely create some significant "boom".... coming from what you have now, any of the subs we've been discussing will be an eye-opening (ear opening?) experience for you...

then you can always add another down the road... mark isn't going anywhere (at least i hope he isn't)...

#4,672 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmizrahi /forum/post/20573750

I'm in Syosset Long Island. I think you are about 4 hours drive. I actually went to School at Temple. Thanks for the offer but it might be too much of a drive round trip. I think I will have to trust your experience with the the Seaton sub. So you are saying that on of the originals is sufficient?.

IMO, you would be better off going for the deal Mark offered on the 2 originals. I run a single HP but my room is small and sealed. The only reason I sold my original to Chris was so that I could get a veneered SubMersive to match my cherry Seaton Catalysts.
Your large space would undoubtedly be better served with 2 excellent subs. Twice the cone area plus flexibility in placement make this a no-brainer. Placement and EQ are THE two most important, yet often overlooked aspects to achieving great bass response in room.

Chris

#4,673 ·
^^^

I would too...

#4,675 ·
^^^

yea I did... that is SICK...
not that I need a 3rd one, but I sure want one...

which reminds me that I need to do the onerous task of doing some measurements...

#4,677 ·
cool! that's pretty reasonable...

yes, please do ask him... inquiring minds want to know...

#4,678 ·
he's just phoned me, it's done. I said is it invisible and when you run your finger over the area is it smooth, he said yes.

I said how did you do it and he said basically wet and dry and finished it with a buffing machine.

All in I paid £27 because added post and packing.

I'm really delighted he managed to do it so quick!!

#4,679 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmizrahi
I just got the 4311 and looking forward to hooking it up. Thanks again everyone for a great discussion. I guess I will join the 4311 thread to be fair to the SC09 owners out there.
First, I'd like to congrat you on your new toy

I'm sure you will be very happy with it.

Second, chris is right, our thread doesn't get bogged down with debates & nitpickers.

We just like to have fun, discuss the other gear that makes up a system. So you are welcome to post here if you think we can help on something

I'd certainly like to read your comments on the 4311 as you start to use it somewhere
So, I'll make sure to check the 4311 thread on occasion, too which I do anyway

Good luck and hope the sub shopping goes well

#4,680 ·
I am just opening the box for my new Oppo 93 player and all I can say is wow!

...what an impressive company. Even the packaging is 1st class

First thing I noticed was a copy of my order inside the box, sealed manual, firmware update instructions AND a disc with the latest FW! Something Pioneer NEVER did even for their $2000 09 player

Then there's this classy looking pull off sheet with the player's pic, logos, etc And under that is -

a very classy looking accessories box, not the typical bag of cheap cables, mind you but a real heavy construction all black lidded box with Oppo prominently displayed which contains -

- things Pioneer & other companies never include, like a wifi adapter, a hi quality HDMI cable & NO yellow plugged composite video for once!!
And some type of USB dock, not sure what it's for yet maybe for drives or maybe something to do with media streaming (time to read the manual
) The remote looks as good or better than any I've seen.

Player - not wrapped in the usual plastic wrap, no it's in a black canvas bag

If you can't tell I'm impressed

I've owned 4 gens of Pioneer laserdisc players, several top end $1K Pioneer DVD universal players, the 1st gen $1200 Panny BD player, the Pio 05 and $2K 09 BD players and at no time was packaging & presentation this upscale looking.

The manual - from what I can tell so far, very well written in descriptive terms that actually mean something, not the usual esoteric, marketing-speak lingo we typically get from CE companies. Oppo seems to want the user to actually understand what all the settings actually do in clear, understandable yet technically accurate language. Wow!

Based on everything I've read about Oppo players, the huge popularity with enthusiasts, and my own eyes....there's NO reason to look at another brand.

And the best part, it's hard to believe this player can do everything it does for only $499!

Pioneer has a long way to go to match this

I still like my BDP-09 player, but Oppo is THE player to beat for enthusiasts. Nothing else I've seen compares, except the hi-priced spread from Denon, Marantz, etc.

#4,682 ·
^^^

and a nice LONG swallow you took too...

it IS rather impressive when you open up the box... everything just screams "high end unit" at you... the box of accessories and the bag for the player is a very nice touch...

and as you note... the manual is actually useful... imagine that...

welcome to the herd...

#4,683 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001
And some type of USB dock, not sure what it's for yet
that acts as an "extension cord" for a usb port... rather handy, as you can hook it up to the player and put it where you can actually reach it (nice for people like you and i who have closed back racks)...

#4,685 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj /forum/post/20578378

^^^

and a nice LONG swallow you took too...

it IS rather impressive when you open up the box... everything just screams "high end unit" at you... the box of accessories and the bag for the player is a very nice touch...

and as you note... the manual is actually useful... imagine that...

welcome to the herd...

Hey Chris,

Can you talk me into a switch to the 4311?
Would x32 be useful for me since I'm only running the one SubM? If nothing else, I like the idea of turning off the amp section and running it as a pre-pro. I suppose if I went for it I could also sell the antimode with the susano.

Where would one pick up a 4311 for ~1600 once it's in stock again? PM me if on this ? if you don't want to say here.

I can't believe I'm really considering this!

Chris

#4,686 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudda /forum/post/0

Hey Chris,

Can you talk me into a switch to the 4311?
Would x32 be useful for me since I'm only running the one SubM? If nothing else, I like the idea of turning off the amp section and running it as a pre-pro. I suppose if I went for it I could also sell the antimode with the susano.

Where would one pick up a 4311 for ~1600 once it's in stock again? PM me if on this ? if you don't want to say here.

I can't believe I'm really considering this!

Chris

I got mine from 6th avenue. The last one($1599). I know j&r is selling it for the same price.

#4,687 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmizrahi /forum/post/20579887

I got mine from 6th avenue. The last one($1599). I know j&r is selling it for the same price.

Thanks Gabi. It's funny, all this talk about the 4311 has me sniffing around the edges. I even went to BB and the local boutique shop where both were oos. I just happen to have a 6th avenue right near me so I went by but the shop was shuttered. Not too surprising really. They could never compete with their online biz.

Chris

#4,688 ·
^^^

just call me the pied piper...

i don't "know" that xt32 would be better, but i will take a wag that it will be... i've never had such good mains/sub integration... ymmv there... as you know, my room is a bit "difficult"... either way, you wouldn't need the antimode anymore for the sub itself....

once they are back in stock, all of the "authorized denon resellers" that i called basically quoted me that 1599 price... i got the a100 at bob & ron's world wide stereo in montgomeryville (and the 6th ave across from them was shuttered as well)... you might even be able to do a bit better than that, it seems like all of the resellers are willing to cut each others throat to get a sale... it'd likely be cheaper to order it from out of state to save the sales tax, but that has the disadvantage of not having a local dealer to harass if there's issues (which i wouldn't expect, but you never know)...

technically, the amp section doesn't get completely turned off... at least from what i've been able to glean from the various postings in the 4311/a100 thread...

tell ya what... if you want to try it and see what you think, and you want to come pick it up/drop off the susano, i'll swap you for a week or two so you can see (hear?) for yourself... i'd offer to just let you take it and not bring the susano, but unfortunately, this is actually one time where i don't have a backup avr lying around...

#4,689 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj /forum/post/20581064

tell ya what... if you want to try it and see what you think, and you want to come pick it up/drop off the susano, i'll swap you for a week or two so you can see (hear?) for yourself

You can't get any better than your offer, chris

If I lived close to you, I'd be tempted to take you up on it

Thanks for all you're doing to help people.

What's your thoughts on using the multichannel analogs to connect another prepro/AVR to the SC-09? We've discussed that option quite awhile ago when new things were hitting the street. I think rudolpht was considering it. That way you could use susano's amps at least for a temporary setup until you got an amp. I think he almost bought the 4311 last yr but changed his mind.

I have my old quad Sansui receiver connected that way. It's a bit of a PITA to have to shut off ALL the processing, go pure analog direct, turn off phase control, turn vol up to 0.0, etc.... but it does work. Since it'd be a preamp feeding a preamp, I'm sure you pick up a bit more THD, noise but is it audible

The purist in me says not a great way to go, but let's consider the practical side - would the "degradation" be worth getting Audyssey, IIz, and other goodies? As always, your opinion is valued

I just hate to give up Ilink, the amps, and buy another sacd/dvd-audio player to get DenonLink
& that's 1 reason I vacillate on making the gear swap. Also why I get infuriated about Pioneer doing nothing to update owners - grrrrr!

#4,690 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001

What's your thoughts on using the multichannel analogs to connect another prepro/AVR to the SC-09? We've discussed that option quite awhile ago when new things were hitting the street. I think rudolpht was considering it. That way you could use susano's amps at least for a temporary setup until you got an amp. I think he almost bought the 4311 last yr but changed his mind.

I have my old quad Sansui receiver connected that way. It's a bit of a PITA to have to shut off ALL the processing, go pure analog direct, turn off phase control, turn vol up to 0.0, etc.... but it does work. Since it'd be a preamp feeding a preamp, I'm sure you pick up a bit more THD, noise but is it audible

The purist in me says not a great way to go, but let's consider the practical side - would the "degradation" be worth getting Audyssey, IIz, and other goodies? As always, your opinion is valued

I just hate to give up Ilink, the amps, and buy another sacd/dvd-audio player to get DenonLink
& that's 1 reason I vacillate on making the gear swap. Also why I get infuriated about Pioneer doing nothing to update owners - grrrrr!
I'm getting a bit depressed that people are starting to jump ship on the 09, just as I'm coming onboard. Can I ask why you want to make these changes? Are you looking to just keep the robust amplifiers, and instead update your pre/pro?

Am I forever going to be behind the curve on this receiver, or what?

Can anyone help me with justifying KEEPING it, and not buying a Denon (not a huge fan) or possibly an NAD 785HD? (I'm a fan.)

#4,691 ·
^^

I wouldn't get too depressed
We talk a lot, but most of the original gang is still here, just haven't posted for awhile.

Why looking at changes? O, gear-swap-itis I guess
I blame chris for that
....just kidding!

But you'll notice I haven't yet. The truth is I really liked it when I bought it, still like it and since no interest in 3D, I really have no need to change it. I just really hoped Pioneer would offer an update package that had PQLS over HDMI and added PLIIz, but other than that, it's fine for me. I'd like to see the platform kept current & Pioneer isn't bothering. It's like the model doesn't exist for them in the US. Other international divisions still have it shown on their websites as a current product, but not the US!

My main beef is not with the product itself but the company's direction and some of the quirks in the way they implement several things. For example, we can't add PLIIx over DTS-MA, at least with their own players, while about every other brand name AVR/prepro can. Why we can't - go figure. I'll find out soon enough if the receiver can add PLIIx with another brand player since I just got the Oppo but I'm not holding my breath.

As a result, I don't feel like rewarding Pioneer anytime soon. Just so you know, over my yrs in the hobby, I've spent $25000+ on Pioneer products - laserdisc players, receivers, flagships, RPTV and plasma so don't call me a Pio fanboy

I know for economic reasons alone, I won't do anything until '12. In that time, I really hope Pioneer comes thru with a feature update package but in case they don't, it's nice to know there are alternatives, like Denon. So far, all I'm doing is my homework so if or when the time comes, I know what to buy. At this point, I agree with chris that Denon & Marantz are the best alternatives now.

I love the amps BTW & their hi power is a good match for my speakers so that's why the interest in something as a prepro.

So please don't feel alone here. Still a good number of active owners here & even former owners like chris stop in to help.

You did OK on your purchase, a good choice & hope you enjoy it. It's the last flagship we're likely to see from Pioneer & the best of them

#4,692 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudda /forum/post/20579963

Thanks Gabi. It's funny, all this talk about the 4311 has me sniffing around the edges. I even went to BB and the local boutique shop where both were oos. I just happen to have a 6th avenue right near me so I went by but the shop was shuttered. Not too surprising really. They could never compete with their online biz.

Chris

Since it's come up in two posts:

6th Ave closed all of their Delaware Valley stores a few months back with essentially no notice. Reason given was that the Philadelphia area media (primarily print) was too diffuse for them to have an effective advertising strategy, resulting in sales significantly below expectation.

Pretty amazing, given that is was the same media that existed 18 months ago when 6th Ave decided to open in the DV. Kind of a big management/market analysis "oops".

#4,693 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfreedma /forum/post/20582956

Since it's come up in two posts:

6th Ave closed all of their Delaware Valley stores a few months back with essentially no notice. Reason given was that the Philadelphia area media (primarily print) was too diffuse for them to have an effective advertising strategy, resulting in sales significantly below expectation.

Pretty amazing, given that is was the same media that existed 18 months ago when 6th Ave decided to open in the DV. Kind of a big management/market analysis "oops".

Just an FYI They also closed most if not all of the NY stores and some in NJ Including Livingston, route 18 one of the older ones, and one or two others. I think they are now down to 6 or 7. stores. I they over reached to quickly as the economy went sour. A brother who split with them Opened the electronics Expo and now has 7 he is doing it steady and slow. I believe they are all struggling a bit now. I seems some of the Higher end custom install shops are doing okay especially the ones who have been around awhile and do good work.

#4,694 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 /forum/post/20581173

i wish you were closer...
there'd be a lot of shared listening time and looking for birds time...

you are welcome... i take my lead from the guru on that...

Quote:

it would work, and i suppose you could, but realistically, you'd be better off selling the susano and using the money for a standalone amplifier(s) (maybe some of those fine emotiva products you like so much
)... i would imagine the susano would still fetch a pretty good chunk of coin...

Quote:

yea... that IS a pita... so much of a pita, that it would require my dosage of zoloft to be doubled...

Quote:

& that's 1 reason I vacillate on making the gear swap.

it's time to lay the purist to rest...
the goodies are worth it...

and you wouldn't need another sacd/dvd-a player... you just purchased one...

i'm not going to buy a dl4 player... the oppo does just fine... i don't miss the ilink connection at all...

Quote:

Also why I get infuriated about Pioneer doing nothing to update owners - grrrrr!

as you know, i share your fury...

and even though it's not even a blip on their balance sheet, that's cost them at least a couple sales recently...

#4,695 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 /forum/post/20582512

Why looking at changes? O, gear-swap-itis I guess
I blame chris for that
....just kidding!

i'll accept the blame for that...
although, as noted earlier, someone else around here can be blamed for more than one of my purchases... don't forget you also pinged my wallet pretty hard for a remote control...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.