Official Pioneer SC-09TX/SC-LX90 Owner's Thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5386 Old 05-08-2008, 07:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 343
OK, I'll be the one to start this since I seem to be the 1st one to get the new SC-09TX here on the forum

I've been eagerly waiting for the Susano since the Sept 07 CEDIA announcement, read everything I could on it and Icepower Class D amps. I had preordered it in March it arrived yesterday.

All I've done so far is check out the unit to make sure it wasn't DOA and get used to the display. I haven't hooked up anything to yet and won't be until this weekend.

For those that have & liked the touchscreen remote that came with the previous Elite flagship AVR, the 59TXi, I may have some good news: it found out it works with the SC-09. Pioneer must be using the same IR codes. So far, I've used to to change inputs, surround formats, and change signal sources. I'm willing to bet it can also access MCACC & other settings. So, if you really hate the new remote and are not using a programmable universal remote, there's an another option.

That's all for now. I'm hoping we see other new owners here this week.....

FYI - here are links to the previous speculation pre-announcement & speculation threads:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=904245
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=846136

ss9001

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5386 Old 05-08-2008, 08:19 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 View Post

OK, I'll be the one to start this since I seem to be the 1st one to get the new SC-09TX here on the forum

I've been eagerly waiting for the Susano since the Sept 07 CEDIA announcement, read everything I could on it and Icepower Class D amps. I had preordered it in March it arrived yesterday.

ss9001

You the man my friend. Counting the minutes.

Appreciate the confirm on the codes. I'll have to figure out the device mappings and spin up some buttons on the new devices/ports.

Hoping we can emulate the camaraderie and helpfulness of the Denon AVP/POA thread in our corner of the consumer electronics world, focusing owner issues, tips, and resolutions with the contemplations and bashings left to the referenced thread.

Bring it on

Tim
Selling Anthem PVA7.
STABILITY + Superior audio (SC09-TX) + Incredible picture (VPL-VW200) + good integration.
post #3 of 5386 Old 05-08-2008, 08:47 AM

I can't wait to hear some feed back from you guys. I am literally days away from purchasing one of these babies but have one concern based on Pioneer's press release yesterday. Can anyone who has a unit confirm whether or not PQLS works over HDMI on the 09. The manual only mentions PQLS with ILink. Is PQLS even a big deal to worry about with this unit? The press release refers to the two new Elite receivers coming out this fall but not the 09 flagship. I really want the 09 since I have pre-ordered the Pioneer Elite BDP-05FD and Pioneer Elite PRO-151, and think it would be a killer system. I am also considering the new Pioneer PD-D9-J for a dedicated cd/sacd player. Anyone heard anything about this unit? There is very little info online. Thanks in advance!
post #4 of 5386 Old 05-08-2008, 10:32 AM
AVS Club Gold

Some incremental good news. URC has updated the MX-950 editor with SC09-TX codes (prompting sometimes works but thanks!) although it's a meager set of codes compared to the 94TH. A combo will probably be required if the codes (in typical Pio thankful fashion are downward compatible as confirmed by ss).

Let's keep the other DVD & CD talk in appropriate threads, and focus on the 09 (good question, don't know if the downloadable manual indicates answer).

Tim
Selling Anthem PVA7.
STABILITY + Superior audio (SC09-TX) + Incredible picture (VPL-VW200) + good integration.
post #5 of 5386 Old 05-08-2008, 11:19 AM

I have already read the online manual from cover to cover and I did not see anything regarding PQLS and HDMI, just ILink. Maybe I missed something, I don't know. My problem is I have a dealer waiting on me to make a decision. Really good deal, but I can't shell out that much money without some real people giving real feedback, and I don't like the idea of buying a flagship which may be out of date with newer pioneer features if PQLS is even a feature to worry about. Sorry about the cd/sacd question, didn't mean to hijack the thread, just can't find any info on the unit. I will now shutup and let you lucky owners gush. Hopefully my next post in this thread will be as a proud owner.
post #6 of 5386 Old 05-08-2008, 12:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

All I've done so far is check out the unit to make sure it wasn't DOA and get used to the display. I haven't hooked up anything to yet and won't be until this weekend.

For those that have & liked the touchscreen remote that came with the previous Elite flagship AVR, the 59TXi, I may have some good news: it found out it works with the SC-09. Pioneer must be using the same IR codes. So far, I've used to to change inputs, surround formats, and change signal sources. I'm willing to bet it can also access MCACC & other settings. So, if you really hate the new remote and are not using a programmable universal remote, there's an another option.

FYI - here are links to the previous speculation pre-announcement & speculation threads:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=904245
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=846136

ss9001

Let me just say, I really really hate you about right now. I have a VSX59TXI right now, and cant decide to get the SC-09 or the new SC-07. Just so I can hurt you back, I can get the SC-09 for half of cost in two months on accomodation.
post #7 of 5386 Old 05-08-2008, 12:53 PM
Advanced Member

I"m running KLIPSCH speakers, so that is why I'm reluctant to commit on the SC-09. I'm waiting for them to announce power specs on the SC-07. Congrads man enjoy the new beast!
post #8 of 5386 Old 05-08-2008, 01:48 PM

Hope to enjoy and fully exploit it, ss9001!!

PS for Parasite..

SC-07 .... 7 X 190
SC-05......7 X 180
post #9 of 5386 Old 05-08-2008, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PARASITE View Post

I"m running KLIPSCH speakers, so that is why I'm reluctant to commit on the SC-09. I'm waiting for them to announce power specs on the SC-07. Congrads man enjoy the new beast!

What's up with the Klipsch speakers and the SC-09?? I too have klipsch speakers and are considering getting the SC-09. Still relatively new at the whole HT thing but trying to learn, any help would be greatly appreciated.
post #10 of 5386 Old 05-08-2008, 04:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey13 View Post

What's up with the Klipsch speakers and the SC-09?? I too have klipsch speakers and are considering getting the SC-09. Still relatively new at the whole HT thing but trying to learn, any help would be greatly appreciated.

My *guess* is that Klipsch are high efficiency speakers which do not require huge amounts of power to get high dB levels. Depending on the room size, etc, the large power output of the SC-09 may not be needed to drive them & the lower powered SC-07 might be perfectly adequate.

Steve
post #11 of 5386 Old 05-08-2008, 04:13 PM
AVS Club Gold

So the unit arrived, yes SC09-TX, THE Flagship. It looked like a small box (24x23x16", which was disconcerting, so I tried to heft it. I'm no scrawny kid (actually pretty much the opposite - an old guy with a separated shoulder) and the thing felt like it was adhered to my garage slab. It's mass was unexpected, as if filled with beryllium or a solid rare earth magnet in physically pulling to the earth's core.

More to come. I guess I don't understand the Klipsch concern. This should be able to easily drive RF-83s, never mind lesser speakers. I know I have Magnepans in addition to my Wharfedale towers for sides and rears, and the former need gobs of power to drive and I expect no issues.

More logos.

I need to rest up after the journey to the basement before going farther....

Tim
Selling Anthem PVA7.
post #12 of 5386 Old 05-08-2008, 04:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Pioneer has posted Pronto, IR hex codes & RS232 protocols already on their custom install site. This is a great sign that Pioneer is serious about this having this launch go well for dealers & installers as well as the end user.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...eivers.Default

Unfortunately, no URC mxf files yet.

The bad news for me is that I use a URC MX3000 which I bought in '04 online from an ebay vendor b4 URC locked down the software on updates. But the good news is the MX3000 software can import Pronto ccf files and I can get the SC-09 codes that way along with using the learning function. Not a high priority now, so by the time I'm ready to program the remote, maybe Pioneer will have a mxf file posted.

ss9001

Steve
post #13 of 5386 Old 05-08-2008, 04:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Tim, good idea on the box pics. I didn't think of that last nite as I was so eager to pry it out of the box.

Yeah, it's heavy! The shipping weight of the box is 89 lbs. I checked specs and there's a bit of conflicting info on the AVR itself. Pioneer US site shows the AVR at 70.2 lbs. But both Pioneer Japan & the operating manual show the weight as 35.5 kg / 78.3 Lbs. From hoisting it, I really think it's heavier than the 59TXI, which was 68 lbs. I think the weight shown in the manual is correct & the US site is not. It just "feels" 10 lbs heavier FWIW.

I'll try to get some pics of the receiver later tonight. I won't be putting it in the rack until this weekend, so a pic of it on a desk will have to do

Steve
post #14 of 5386 Old 05-08-2008, 04:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudolpht View Post

..I know I have Magnepans in addition to my Wharfedale towers for sides and rears, and the former need gobs of power to drive and I expect no issues.

I didn't realize you were a Maggie owner. So am I, a complete HT setup with 3.6's as fronts. Been using Maggies since '82. They do need lots of power/current to bring them alive, the more the better.

Steve
post #15 of 5386 Old 05-08-2008, 04:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

My *guess* is that Klipsch are high efficiency speakers which do not require huge amounts of power to get high dB levels. Depending on the room size, etc, the large power output of the SC-09 may not be needed to drive them & the lower powered SC-07 might be perfectly adequate.

In a nutshell. However high efficiency speakers when fed to a beast of an amp do sound better. The fact I can get the SC-09 for under 3k is what makes it very tempting.
post #16 of 5386 Old 05-08-2008, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:

I'll try to get some pics of the receiver later tonight. I won't be putting it in the rack until this weekend, so a pic of it on a desk will have to do

What

Drink like 4 Red Bulls and put that puppy in already

Who needs sleep when you got a new toy

"Half the world is looking for Jesus, and the other half is looking for more bass..."
post #17 of 5386 Old 05-08-2008, 05:44 PM
aod
Advanced Member

Yes. Bring on the pics! Wow, just under 90 lbs.

post #18 of 5386 Old 05-08-2008, 05:59 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Unfortunately, no URC mxf files yet.

ss9001

Hey, I can sho0t you the MXA file if that helps with the 3000. For some reason I can't export the MXDs of each device.

Tim
Selling Anthem PVA7.
post #19 of 5386 Old 05-08-2008, 06:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

These are pretty rough, and my fat fingerprints are on the front already...at least u know it's real

I'll try to do one of the back tomorrow. Sorry these aren't prize winner shots.

Nice Elite badge on the top. Graphical display of volume. General front view (with fingerprints) on PC desk.

I have to make room for this thing in the Salamander racks and remove a shelf & move some components. Anyone who has a Salamander knows you have to dismantle it to add/remove shelves, so it'll have to be the weekend b4 I can tackle it. I know everyone is anxious to read something about its performance....we waited so long
LL
LL
LL

Steve
post #20 of 5386 Old 05-08-2008, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hey, I can sho0t you the MXA file if that helps with the 3000. For some reason I can't export the MXDs of each device.

A mxa file will work. That'd be great, whenever you get a chance. I'll shoot u a PM with an email addr.

Thanks!!

Steve
post #21 of 5386 Old 05-08-2008, 07:45 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Nice Elite badge on the top. Graphical display of volume. General front view (with fingerprints) on PC desk. I know everyone is anxious to read something about its performance....we waited so long

Can I hear an "oooh" from the congregation? Can I hear an "ahhh"? It does exist (my pics are crappier though )

Tim
Selling Anthem PVA7.
post #22 of 5386 Old 05-09-2008, 09:17 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

Can I hear an "oooh" from the congregation? Can I hear an "ahhh"? It does exist (my pics are crappier though )

I am happy to read that your 9TX is in your hands.

Now, coming back to the question of the Denon command utility(Telnet) I sent to you. Did you get the chance to install and load the utility?
If we can find someone that can write same utility for the 9tx, that will be a good addition to the power of this receiver. The 9tx now has the IR/Rs232, info we will need for the programming.
I will like IP/RS232 interface in my case.
George T. Omoregie.
post #23 of 5386 Old 05-09-2008, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

IP control would be nice. I don't remember your post, George. Did Denon have a way to just telnet into the AVR w/o using a browser GUI? If so, then command line functions could be possible. Can u get from there to a web browser interface? IIRC, telnet uses port 23 and http is port 80. I remember enough from networking classes to be dangerous

A company called Charmed Quark developed automation software for a wide variety of HT devices. I just checked their site and they do have support for Pioneer up to the vsx-8x series using serial. They do have support for Denons using IP.

Steve
post #24 of 5386 Old 05-09-2008, 10:58 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
This was a private e-mail floating between Rudolpht and I. I just wanted to alert every one with SC09TX that Denon does have a command3808? or so that has telnet capability. I also sent a private message/file to Bwagner in Canada regarding this utility. I do not want to inject unneccessary utility in to this thread, hence I will make it private first, if it is going to be good for everyone, I will write message in public forum like this.
You can send me a Private message to send you the utility, so that you can take a look at it and start from there should you be interested. It is a Denon Telnet utility and Iam sure we can find some programmers here that can port it to SC-09tX.
This Telnet/Rs232 utility is really NICE. Yo uwill like it.

George T. Omoregie.
post #25 of 5386 Old 05-09-2008, 06:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked: 139
You initial owners of the SC-09 must be in a trance like state listening to your flagship because nothing substantial has been reported yet. Come on guys, give us something to ooh and ahh about.

I'm just a caveman. Your modern world frightens and confuses me.

avsforum Members Atmos Configuration Spreadsheet
post #26 of 5386 Old 05-09-2008, 07:19 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokishin View Post

You initial owners of the SC-09 must be in a trance like state listening to your flagship because nothing substantial has been reported yet. Come on guys, give us something to ooh and ahh about.

The switchover is pretty significant, but the Flagship has been up and available in Japan for a number of weeks. I'm seriously suffering a shoulder injury from this beast. What's worse is this Mother's Day drill

Tim
Selling Anthem PVA7.
post #27 of 5386 Old 05-09-2008, 08:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Yeh, I was in Yamada Denki (one of the biggest electronic retailers in Japan) several weeks ago. I asked about the SC-09 and they said it was too expensive to carry in the stores. I'm sure I can find it somewhere but I want AVS Forum members feedback.

Must be tough on you on how to split your affection this weekend: Mom and/or Wife versus SC-09.

Take care of that shoulder.

Quote:

The switchover is pretty significant, but the Flagship has been up and available in Japan for a number of weeks. I'm seriously suffering a shoulder injury from this beast. What's worse is this Mother's Day drill

I'm just a caveman. Your modern world frightens and confuses me.

avsforum Members Atmos Configuration Spreadsheet
post #28 of 5386 Old 05-09-2008, 11:57 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokishin View Post

Must be tough on you on how to split your affection this weekend: Mom and/or Wife versus SC-09.

Take care of that shoulder.

Quite a question, black urishi finish or a black frying pan to the back of the head.

So it begins...

Preamp & Amp torn down and removed. Onkyo 885 feels light as a feather. Now I have a nest of cables and a really throbbing shoulder Time for meds and ice. Tomorrow the fun begins

Tim
Selling Anthem PVA7.
post #29 of 5386 Old 05-10-2008, 04:47 AM

cool receiver

"There in no W.A.F. in my house. If She dont like it, She can live with her Mother"
post #30 of 5386 Old 05-10-2008, 05:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quite a question, black urishi finish or a black frying pan to the back of the head.

So it begins...

Preamp & Amp torn down and removed. Onkyo 885 feels light as a feather. Now I have a nest of cables and a really throbbing shoulder Time for meds and ice. Tomorrow the fun begins

My time between the rack & the wall starts this AM right after breakfast. I fully expect I'll need some ice too. But it'll be worth it

I'm planning on 9.5" top clearance by moving the shelf. That'll have to do. Last night I googled for rack coolers just in case heat really is an issue. The 59txi under heavy load would get pretty warm to hot, but never did it shutdown, so I'm having a hard time imagining why 2 ft would be recommended.

Tim, I'd be very interested in what clearance you are planning to use.

Stay tuned....

Steve
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page